C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

If the current Z06 has a 50/50 weight distribution, what's the benefit of mid engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
The 911 layout isnt considered perfect either but they have improved the design over the years to keep it competitive
Years ago, one of the car magazine columnists had a great quip about the rear-engine Porsches. He said they were "a terrible design, beautifully executed."

Last edited by Widgeon5; 02-02-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Widgeon5
Years ago, one of the car magazine columnists had a great quip about the rear-engine Porsches. He said they were "a terrible design, beautifully executed."
Back in the day the 911 was a bear to drive if you didn't know how to drive a car that had a tremendous amount of trailing throttle oversteer. There were a lot of owners of those cars that put them off the road backwards because they took their foot off the gas right at the wrong time. Porsche worked a long time to tame the beast so it was more amenable to owners that weren't race car drivers.

​​​​​​​Bill
Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I think the ME will be the last hoorah and we might see the end of the corvette production as we know it. I think GM knows this and they're saving the best for last. The final punch.

The C7 ZR1 hit it's absolute peak in what in terms of the FE layout. It's pretty much flawless in terms of engineering for it's price. Looks are subjective as have come to find out already lol. I think it looks great minus the ugly wheels, the rest is perfect for what it is.

The ME would enter a whole new realm in what corvette is, (if GM even calls it that), meaning a base model will likely to have a V6 twin turbo while the performance variants of it will have a twin turbo V8 or the new NA DOHC V8 in the works.

Either or we live in the best time to experience all this. I love my C7Z but i know the best is yet to come with the C8. If not, then hey there's still the C7 ZR1 to own to have the best of the best.

Good times we live in
Now wait a second, RobGZ06....the last time you posted on the cars in your future, you were in love (in fact you called the car "INCREDIBLE") with the forthcoming Ford Mustang 500GT. The C7 ZR1 wasn't even mentioned!
Maybe you're also getting "delusional" like the rest of us....sound familiar? HA!!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Pigface1
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

As long as they find a way to shovel in 2 cart bags and a driver and a passenger, people will get over the fact that it isn't FE.

Taking the current FE Corvettes and the fact that they're running with ME exotics and in many cases beating them, I have no problem believing that the top end ME Corvettes will be in legitimate hyper car territory.

The F40 and McLaren F1 are arguably the most iconic track-focused road cars in the past half a century and it's not by chance they were ME.
The following users liked this post:
billiam01 (02-04-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

IMO, absolutely none if the car is going to be driven on the street (as most of the Corvettes are). If you race them or compete in track events, then the ME will likely produce better lap times. Some may find the ME design to be better looking than a FE design, but that advantage comes down to personal taste. It was just a matter of time before the Corvette evolved into a ME car if it wanted to stay competitive w/ the Euro ME cars. The next step will probably the addition of electric assist and then a full electric down the road as technology progresses. Whether we like it or not, I believe that will be the roadmap going forward.
The following users liked this post:
6104696 (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

what's the (GM) benefit of mid engine?
1. MAKE IT EASY. In words other than Engineer-speak, you can make a crummier driver look good in a mid-engined car. The American sportscar idea has always been a finger in your face to all the quad-cammed, mid engined european frou frou mobiles that could be soundly trounced by a big old off the shelf pushrod v8 stuck out in front of a REAL driver. I like that. REAL Corvette drivers (Ron Fellows, for example) have been battling super mid-engined exotics on race tracks for keeps, for decades, and WINNING. Just depends upon your skill set. But the new America mantra is to dumb down everything, don't produce winners forged in the crucible of outright winning from skill; just try to collect as many brownie points as you can to "claim" a world championship. And so follows the new idiot-proof-the-car GM Mantra. So's GM Presidents can handle it:

2. MO MONEY! GM already figured out how to build a cheaper-than-real-corvette Mid-engined 2 seater sports car with
a space frame integral into the body(making it a unibody) like the C4/C5/C6/C7, with bolt on SMC body panels covering the exterior of the car that are not a structural member of the car's body.
They called it a Fiero, GM sold it for less than the cost of the Impala at that time AND they made a profit on it.

Now what was that profitability statement about Corvettes?

Mark Reuss, who is GM’s president for North America, has publicly stated that the ‘Vette “makes as much money as any of the top-profit models in our company.” Those pickups (trucks) can represent five figures of profit on vehicles with higher transaction prices. Adam Levine Weinberg at The Motley Foolwebsite takes Reuss’ comments to mean that gross profit per vehicle (not including development costs) on the C7 Corvette could be $10,000 or more.
So, GM CAN (AND DID) build a clean sheet ME 2 Seater Sports car, built the same way as a current Corvette, and sell it profitably for less than the Chevy Impala built at the time.

BUT THEY WON'T

The Chevy Impala today has a MSRP of $28,020. The new C8 is "hopefully" is selling for over twice that amount. Nothing wrong with greed as long as the clients pay. Why wouldn't GM pull out the biggest clipping shears that they can to fleece the flock?

Last edited by SilverGhost; 05-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: If the current Z06 has a 50/50 weight distribution, what's the benefit of mid engine?