C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06/3LZ for $52,700??? Is 30k plus mileage the falloff in price on Z’s???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Makes sense.

SledUtah is debating between a new GS or a used Z06. .
tell the SledUtah guy to stop debating with himself, and start debating with dealerships in obscure locations around the country to give him 30 grand off on a new 17 or 18 z06, and to sign up for the corvette museum membership immediately, as it provides a big discount on vettes apparently.

Everyone needs a new z06... they just don't know it yet

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
tell the SledUtah guy to stop debating with himself, and start debating with dealerships in obscure locations around the country to give him 30 grand off on a new 17 or 18 z06, and to sign up for the corvette museum membership immediately, as it provides a big discount on vettes apparently.

Lol
Old 08-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

for what it is worth, when my car goes back to GM in a few months, I will let people know its VIN and that way you guys can try to find it at an auction somewhere. There is nothing WRONG with the car really, we just found a problem they all have on them, that GM wont fix. Anyway, it will have a branded lemon buyback title and should be a great deal for someone, 3lz z06 auto. Once a person drives the auto in track mode and sees how the car holds gears and does not shift around curves but instead will rev up over 6500 rpm and will hold a gear when the person lets off the gas and engine brakes just as if they were driving a stick...

i don't think there is a reason to buy a manual anymore. You can argue the auto's overheat, but that is easy to fix with an extra trans cooler added to the game.

It will have almost 20,000 miles on it at the time probably. Car went into service just over a year ago, last june. Oil always changed early, etc.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:15 PM
wildgoat
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

to the best of my knowledge, this is not a big deal when the proper steps are taken by someone with enough money. You see, with all these crypto mining farms now, they use those to crack encryptions, you just have to pay them. You and I dont pay, but HP tuners does, and then they split the bill across all the software they sell to customers. At least that is my understanding, could be wrong.
I was thinking along the same lines until I saw this and dug a little deeper.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-tunable.html

It sounds like ECU security is taking a giant leap practically overnight.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildgoat:
Mikec7z (08-21-2018), Oneslackr (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wildgoat
I was thinking along the same lines until I saw this and dug a little deeper.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-tunable.html

It sounds like ECU security is taking a giant leap practically overnight.
Great thread, after reading and examining it, here are my thoughts, and I wrote the same thing over there:

i believe it will still be crackable with the large crypto farms that exist now, and/or a person on the inside selling the crack for x amount of dollars...

but the problem I SEE being the game changer is that they are going to be able to label the sale of this crack as "terrorism" and "assisting terrorism" in addition to what ben @ weapon x posted over there about the epa cracking down...

And thus it is going to become a HUGE liability for HP Tuners, etc, to come out PUBLICLY with the software that does contain the crack, as now they are the ones liable if someone uses the crack to do something malicious .

Kind of like selling bump stocks or the mechanisms to make guns fully automatic machine guns... HP Tuners will be labeled as an assistant to a crime.

Which, of course, causes HP tuners to simply decide NOT to release the crack, even tho, they can crack it. And that of course, sucks for us.

Hopefully I am wrong.

With all of that said, the question becomes, does the same liability exist with the piggyback systems? If so, we are really in trouble soon.

on the bright side, if no one cracks a c8 computer, then the c7z will be the do all end all car and have the highest resale

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
Oneslackr (08-21-2018), wildgoat (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I don't think there is a reason to buy a manual anymore. You can argue the auto's overheat, but that is easy to fix with an extra trans cooler added to the game.
Unless you're like me & find a manual to be more entertaining to drive than flicking a paddle behind the steering wheel. I like to be more connected to the car & enjoy rowing through the gears in a sports car. I don't care if a manual Z06 isn't as fast. There won't be any manual cars left soon, sports cars or otherwise, with the way things are going. I'll be in rare company. Lol

Last edited by Oneslackr; 08-21-2018 at 03:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oneslackr:
Mikec7z (08-21-2018), wildgoat (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:47 PM
SledUtah
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

haha, that's what I'm thinking.... I've rented a standard C7 and liked it, but I like the body of the GS. But, now that I've seen the price of used Z06's I changed my focus again... Coming from a '91 ZR1 that is a lot of fun to drive. The prices are so low on them now I don't know if I'll sell it or not.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

if I had to take a wild guess, my current 3lz high 90's msrp car will sell somewhere in the 40's when GM unloads it. I have thought about buying it back at the auction they take it to, but i have no need for 2, and will be in the same pickle they will be in trying to sell it and convince a buyer it is fine... just in case you or someone else is on the fence and can wait a few months.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:41 PM
wildgoat
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

if I had to take a wild guess, my current 3lz high 90's msrp car will sell in the high 40's when GM unloads it. I have thought about buying it back at the auction they take it to, but i have no need for 2, and will be in the same pickle they will be in trying to sell it and convince a buyer it is fine... just in case you or someone else is on the fence and can wait a few months.
public auction or dealer auction?

sounds tempting
Old 08-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i have no idea where they will take it, once the deal is finalized, i will put up the window sticker so you can see the vin and the options, and it will be a scavenger hunt to see who can find where they take it next.

Never know, they might even take it and chop it into little pieces, but i doubt it.

There will be mine and a few others all going back this fall/winter most likely, ill put up the info on them as they go back.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have no idea where they will take it, once the deal is finalized, i will put up the window sticker so you can see the vin and the options, and it will be a scavenger hunt to see who can find where they take it next.

Never know, they might even take it and chop it into little pieces, but i doubt it.

There will be mine and a few others all going back this fall/winter most likely, ill put up the info on them as they go back.
Just curious but is there a thread that you get involved in here where you don't in some form or fashion bring up your conspiracy theory on GM and what the cloak and dagger division did to all the Z's?

I'm basically at sea level... shoot me a PM with your fool proof step by step instructions on how to force my stock car into limp mode at will. Can't wait...
Mikec7z (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:00 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

typing it now
Old 08-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Now that ive answered your question, please answer mine.

When did you purchase your car, and what state was that purchase made in? Was the car brand new? What year is it? PM me back if you want.

Thanks

-Mike

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-21-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:54 PM
VetteLex
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Currently selling my 2016 Z06 and am going to take a bloodbath when I do sell it. Car only has 3500 miles, 3LZ with Carbon Fiber package, looks brand new, and still has a full warranty yet I have it priced at $67k which is well below what I paid for it used just a year ago. Frankly am shocked in how poor the value has held up in just one year. If you are in the market for a Vette, right now is about as good of time as any to get one unless you are willing to wait for the C8.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteLex
Currently selling my 2016 Z06 and am going to take a bloodbath when I do sell it. Car only has 3500 miles, 3LZ with Carbon Fiber package, looks brand new, and still has a full warranty yet I have it priced at $67k which is well below what I paid for it used just a year ago. Frankly am shocked in how poor the value has held up in just one year. If you are in the market for a Vette, right now is about as good of time as any to get one unless you are willing to wait for the C8.
the market fell because you went from retail to selling, and you lost tax and title. Plus if you have a loan, the money paid on the loan in the first year is mostly toward interest and not the principle. I would hold the car a bit longer, it will be a while before the good C8 comes out, and GM has months with Corvette loyalty money, so that money PLUS tax savings (you are taxed on the difference in cost instead of the full cost of the new vehicle, in most states, when you trade in a car)...

all that equals a lot of money later towards your C8 Purchase. Any car, if bought and owned for only 1 year, and then resold, you will take a bath.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by SledUtah
I've been looking for a new GS, but the price of used Z06's are very tempting. I've seen multiple 2016 Z06's in the mid to high 60k, with under 10k miles.

Not sure what to do!

I'm sure when the C8's are announced, there will be a flood of low mileage C7's that hit the market.
smart move is to buy a Z06
Old 08-21-2018, 08:56 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum

a lot more than that 😵😵

edit:

i retract my prior statement. If it didn’t have that stripe and the chrome wheels it would be at least 60k
"Reality Does Not Care What You Think"
sunsalem (08-22-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/3LZ for $52,700??? Is 30k plus mileage the falloff in price on Z’s???

Old 08-22-2018, 09:54 AM
VetteLex
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

the market fell because you went from retail to selling, and you lost tax and title. Plus if you have a loan, the money paid on the loan in the first year is mostly toward interest and not the principle. I would hold the car a bit longer, it will be a while before the good C8 comes out, and GM has months with Corvette loyalty money, so that money PLUS tax savings (you are taxed on the difference in cost instead of the full cost of the new vehicle, in most states, when you trade in a car)...

all that equals a lot of money later towards your C8 Purchase. Any car, if bought and owned for only 1 year, and then resold, you will take a bath.
I get all of that but unfortunately my wife has gone beyond our budget on a new home we are building so I have to sell it now to have the extra funds to pay for it. If I was in the market for a Vette right now not sure why I would buy a Grand Sport when Z06's are very attainable either used or new.
Mikec7z (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got my higher mileage 2016 Z06 2LZ (w/ pdr option) for $52,700, so if it's the mileage that made it so inexpensive, I'm ok with it. All the Z's around the DFW area are $62K+ but I found this one in Florida. Maybe Floridians drive more because of the weather? lol
SteveDoten (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Wasn’t planning on selling soon anyways but mine is mint and I keep it that way!
In my experience, condition and mileage doesn't affect resale value nearly as much as one would expect.
I don't know exactly why this is...
This also seems true regarding houses.

Quick Reply: Z06/3LZ for $52,700??? Is 30k plus mileage the falloff in price on Z’s???