C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is this NORMAL????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 02:36 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
the guy with the orange ztk ZR1 caught me down by his front bumper trying to find that spot which I did find by the way and it's in the expel wrap according to him not the bumper, his name is Dan he is on the Forum very nice guy so I take back everything I said about him from when I met him last year LOL

without me bringing your car up at all we were talking about paint and color match in general and he brought me over to his roof and showed me the difference between his roof rails and the panel light behind it which is striking because the roof is way lighter than the orange of the rest of the car also the rear spoiler the little one.

ps. Also found out from Jeff every C7 mirror is also painted off site by the supplier!
Thanks for talking to Jeff about Kevin's issue. Tell Jeff I said hey!

Here's a list of all body parts painted by the suppliers and not by the Bowling Green paint shop:

B92 Hoods
Roofs
Spoilers
Vents
Splitters
Mirrors

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2018 at 06:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
JerryU (08-25-2018), Kevin1106 (08-24-2018), Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 03:07 PM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

I have been following this thread and it is amazing to see all these forum members pitching in to help out a fellow forum member with an obvious defect in the color matching process. Corvette owners helping Corvette owners is what makes this forum special. OP has a number of pictures in his profile, and the difference is obvious in just about all of them. Kudos to the folks helping him out. Kevin (OP) hope you get well soon and hope your new toy does, too. Thanks CF.
The following 2 users liked this post by Null Pointer:
jagamajajaran (08-24-2018), Kevin1106 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

This is what we do. Unfortunately misery loves company sometimes even. Good people get soured and then spread that germ.... otherwise normally good people. When all we need is to work together and find solutions.
The following 3 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
AORoads (08-25-2018), jagamajajaran (08-24-2018), Kevin1106 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

This is what we do. Unfortunately misery loves company sometimes even. Good people get soured and then spread that germ.... otherwise normally good people. When all we need is to work together and find solutions.
if everything in the world was only handled this way, it would be a better place. People helping people. My wife has never been apart of a forum page before.. she is just amazed at the way people join in to help.. I’m truly thankful to everyone here.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin1106:
23/C8Z (08-25-2018), BlueDevlZ06 (08-26-2018), jagamajajaran (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

it shouldn't be forum members pushing to get it done though. GM or dealer shouldve stepped up and handled it. I guess the american manufacturers will always be this way.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:21 PM
trevor90
Pro

bumpers are always off from the body a shade or two. that is grey is normal.
Mikec7z (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:37 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Well trevor.....how about when the quality control mgr from the Corvette plant says it isn't? Because he saw it with me today. If you missed that part. That's when he explained all the parts not painted by the plant have variances both the OP and that gray car are beyond acceptable according to him. It happens and when brought to their attention they get addressed.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 08-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Kevin1106 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM
trevor90
Pro

lol. Ok, whoever owns that grey car, go ahead and tell GM you dont like the color. See what they say.

All im simply saying is if you want a better ownership experience, buy a Mercedes or BMW. I've had both.
I'm honestly not expecting much god forbid i have an issue with my z06.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Thanks for talking to Jeff about Kevin's issue. Tell Jeff I said hey!

Here's a list of all body parts painted by the suppliers and not by the Bowling Green paint shop:

B92 Hoods
Roofs
Spoilers
Vents
Splitters
Mirrors
​​​​​​Does that really make a lot of sense after everything we are seeing in terms of paint matching issues? They may need to reanalyze and take another look at outsourcing parts to be painted.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin1106
My hood is a different shade of black then the rest of the car...I've been told its normal ( by someone I'm not going to say) but really find this hard to believe. I Pm'ed another forum member with the same hood as I and was told, NO absolutely not....
There is nothing wrong with the paint. I suspect your panels on your garage door are not the same color. Looks like it has slightly difference tints.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:35 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Crazy that the supplier's paint is actually better looking than the plants lol

Light being reflecting in the hood has less orange peel then the light reflecting off the fender as well. The outsourcing is definitely an issue. Just in this case the tint really makes you dig deeper and then you find everything.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:30 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by trevor90
it shouldn't be forum members pushing to get it done though. GM or dealer shouldve stepped up and handled it. I guess the american manufacturers will always be this way.
In this case, the saleman/dealership is involved and GM is stepping up to handle it.

Crazy that the supplier's paint is actually better looking than the plants lol

Light being reflecting in the hood has less orange peel then the light reflecting off the fender as well. The outsourcing is definitely an issue. Just in this case the tint really makes you dig deeper and then you find everything.
Carbon fiber panels, like the hood in this case, will always receive paint better than composite body panel surfaces. It's the way the paint lays on each particular surface. You will always get a better finish on carbon fiber over composite materials.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Yeah, no kidding. I would prefer my car to match the hood better, not my hood to match my car better. Even though every black Vette I saw in person matched my car, not the hood.....

man, that’s a tounge twister...lol
jagamajajaran (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverScorp
There is nothing wrong with the paint. I suspect your panels on your garage door are not the same color. Looks like it has slightly difference tints.
I’ll take pics in the sun tomorrow, you’ll see. Sunlight will really make it show more.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
this is where you and I agree, and we disagree with most others chiming in here, and you hit the nail on the head perfectly again....

everyone says that they are going to help the OP, and be these wonderful heros.. and everyone completely missed the point.

It IS the dealer's responsibility to NOT EVEN SELL a NEW car if they detect paint issues, and they MUST disclose the paint issues to customers. I will get something in writing from VW and Subaru to prove this point. It is a question on the customer satisfaction survey sent out, asking about the vehicle and its paint, and asking if the problem existed at delivery, and was not fixed PRIOR to delivery. And if the customer says it had a paint issue DURING/AFTER delivery, the CSI score for the dealership and the salesman drops, and they both lose their bonus money from the manufacturer on THAT vehicle, and if their dealership average is below 96% for the month, the ENTIRE dealership misses their CSI bonus. The paint question deducts over 5%, if answered with a negative, by the customer, so, point blank, lets say the salesman and dealership did EVERYTHING ELSE PERFECT on EVERY NEW CAR SALE and received a perfect score on every other question... but EACH car had a mess-up on the paint, this includes door dings and rock chips... small stuff... and the customer indicates on the survey that it was not resolved at the time of sale...

THEN THAT DEALER WOULD MISS ITS CSI MONEY FOR THE MONTH. WE ARE TALKING 10's of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS, per month.

I think you guys should re read that a few times and let it sink in because it is not an exaggeration.

The factory REP literally REPRIMANDS the managers of the stores for LETTING such a thing occur that might lead to a forum post such as this one. The factory REP, if they see a post like this on a forum, RIPS THE HEAD OFF of the manager of the dealership, if he sees that the dealership manager and/or salesman IGNORED the customer's request, let alone lied and said it is "normal" for the manufacturers cars to look like this.

I don't think that registers with people here at all... the night and day difference between this situation... and how EVERY other manufacturer (with the exception of ford) DEMANDS their dealers handle this situation, OR they take the dealerships bonus money away

We are at the opposite end of the spectrum right now.

All the people telling the OP to relax and everything WILL EVENTUALLY be fine... they totally missed the point... the moment a problem like this is discovered, the dealership needs to give a 100% guarantee that h*** or high water, they will have it resolved for the customer, and they should be BEGGING the customer not to ruin them on the survey question pertaining to the paint of the vehicle, and to please answer it positively or they lose their CSI money for the month as it brings their averages down, even if every other question is answered as a perfect 10.

When i told the OP to demand the dealership fix it IF the dealership was not offering it, i was labeled as a fool and as an angry fellow who is over-reacting Its all documented above.... WHEN IT IS THE LAW THEY MUST FIX IT, and that is why every other manufacturer on the planet... reprimands dealers if they sell a car with a paint flaw, without fixing it first

If it were my car, i would have already had the guarantee the dealer was getting me a new hood, and my car would be at the dealer waiting for the new hood, and if the new hood didn't match, they would sent it back and get me another and another until it matched, and any other manufacturer would have AGREED i was right as that is a question ON THEIR CSI SURVEY. And I would rest easy, and I would not be on a forum hoping people can hobnob and pull favors to get my car fixed.

The dealer and the salesman do their job without me asking... or, if they miss that boat... they will do their job after I demand they do it. Laws are on our side, IF people would examine them. And IF the salesman did what he did here, and lied and said it was normal and delivered the car WRONG... he would get destroyed on a survey... WITH other manufacturers. Not GM though

a 19,000 dollar VW jetta or Subaru impeza... YES... a 100g vette, NO

I do hope that everyone is correct and GM pulls through (such heros, what an awesome story of customer satisfaction ) and gets him a brand new hood that matches, and we can have this big dramatic celebration that weeks later, GM and the dealership FINALLY did what every other manufacturer does BEFORE the time of sale or else they literally penalize the dealers...

and IF it is anything LESS than a perfectly matching hood, and I believe he just got tricked by a lot of people who don't understand how the REST of the car world operates, and have bought into the GM way of doing things as acceptable and normal and amazing.

I'll get the VW and Subaru customer satisfaction surveys for you guys to look over. I might even make a video interviewing a couple sales managers at these stores, asking them what the factory rep does if a customer gets a hold of the manufacturer about a paint issue, that the dealer did not take care of, let alone PROMISE to take care of, let alone LIED ABOUT.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-25-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:40 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

JUST asking: are you ok? You sound really angry.
The following 3 users liked this post by AORoads:
3 Z06ZR1 (08-25-2018), madrob2020 (08-25-2018), Mikec7z (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

i should start a new thread and talk about the real problems i have to solve each day, and give everyone a good laugh as no one would take it seriously, but then i would get in trouble with my superiors... so that's not an option unfortunately

Get notified of new replies

To Is this NORMAL????

Old 08-25-2018, 01:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Ok, I get it then.
Mikec7z (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:08 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
i should start a new thread and talk about the real problems i have to solve each day-"BUT THEN I WOULD GET IN TROUBLE WITH MY SUPERIORS...:"(
You have SUPERIORS?
Mikec7z (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Kevin1106
Instructor

In all honesty, all these pics don’t do justice.. in person, it look worse than it shows up in pictures.
If I was in a parking lot at night, with the orange lights... it would be horrible...

ill wait until the sun begins to set and take some more pics.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-25-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Merged Posts

Quick Reply: Is this NORMAL????