C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Milos Sainovic,Sales Manager
Hendrick Chevrolet, 100 Auto Mall Dr, Cary NC 27511
M: 919.757.3501
O: 919.388.4157

milos.sainovic@hendrickauto.com[img][/img]
Old 09-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

just tell him a friend of a friend of yours, said they had the best deal and would go below invoice into holdback on a new order, and see what he says. i would go that angle first, and then ask if he wants to move inventory on the lot instead at a deeper discount, after he agrees to the order price being below invoice plus all incentives.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:24 AM
cclaffey
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
just tell him a friend of a friend of yours, said they had the best deal and would go below invoice into holdback on a new order, and see what he says. i would go that angle first, and then ask if he wants to move inventory on the lot instead at a deeper discount, after he agrees to the order price being below invoice plus all incentives.
He is on vacation. However I spoke with the Sales manager covering for him, Cameron. I went open kimono told him I was about to sign papers on a car in FL but heard they were the beat shop in the nation from fellas on corvette forum and I should check with them before I sign. He pulled the car i was buying in FL, got my info, worked inventives... told me straight up, in good conscience he cannot try to convince me to buy from him if I truly have the one in FL locked up at my price. He did say sometimes if it's too good to be true...but he said in this case, it's likely a fine vehicle and you can feel confident that you got the best deal in the nation on that car. He substantiated it by telling me he moved 18 corvettes last month. One was a used GS 2LT with 2k miles, sold over $78k. He told me his best available price to me is $86k on the car he has on the lot.
I didn't go any further. He seemed a straight shooter...I would pay up to $79k for it but there was no way to bridge the gap.
thanks for helping me check it out.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

sounds good, if you need the car now, pull the trigger. If you can order one and wait.. i would from NC for the 2 years of lemon.

Keep in mind, there is a 500 mile break in period on these cars... not sure the negatives if they are not babied that whole time, but i do know it is real and have heard of peoples motors popping. You are talking to a guy who is about to lemon his car, so im a bit biased towards caution at this point
Old 09-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Throwing out a worst case for you to think about... you buy the car, 2000 miles later the engine goes boom, GM looks at the computer, and they see the car was red lined to 7000rpm multiple occasions before the 500 mile mark... not your fault... but not their fault either.

Do they replace the engine at that point for free under warranty when the rules were not followed on their car?

I dont have the answer to that one, but i know how they operate and a new engine costs more than new paint. I bet the answer is NO.

Second owners, GM has a huge out... you cant argue the car was taken care of... it was not you driving it the whole time. You have no idea what that car has done. Now, if you can get ahold of the original owner, and he assures you the car was babied... then you still have the salesmen at the dealer to worry about. Even if the tech or the manager a the dealer took it up to redline a few times... do you think they would admit that to ANY potential buyer? Hell no.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 09-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:38 AM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 892 Likes on 308 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

Would you be happy with this on your new Z06? This is the newly designed fender vents installed with the paint touch-up. It's not the dealers fault, it's what they could do because of the Suntek Ultra Paint Protection Film on my car.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

im not going to lie Garry, if it were me, i would keep trying through the BBB and the attorney general if you want... and if i got no where, i would let it go. I would not throw money at a lawyer for that.

Not saying its not a big deal, im just trying to give you the confidence that I dont notice that as I walk up to your car, im amazed by the overall look of the thing, odds of me seeing that are slim. Drive it and have fun. If the BBB or attorney general come through, bonus. Your case is muddied because of the paint protection film, its going to be a big finger point game between GM and the paint film company. I would just let it go personally, some things arent worth the brain damage.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:43 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cclaffey
I'll check with Hendrick today. See what they come up with. They have a nice 3LZ on their site I could settle for! By the way, should I only look at 2019's then since the paint issue or are new 2018's safe?
Buy a 2019. There is no reason not to. You get the trickle down part upgrades from the ZR1 (the 2018s didn't) & the deals on '19s are getting better as the weeks go on.

As far as the car you're currently looking at I agree $74.5k is a really good deal for a 2019 2LZ with only 238 miles on it that has an original MSRP of just over $90k (of course who the heck with any sense pays MSRP). It's basically a brand new car. However, if you're worried about potential future issues & want full lemon law protection then find a brand new one. Though I certainly don't base my car buying decisions on whether or not I'll have full lemon law protection.

At the end of July I bought a used 2018 with 747 miles on it from an out of state dealer in Atlanta, sight unseen (other than the dealer pics). It turned out fine. I had the car shipped to me in an enclosed trailer. It arrived on August 4th. I went with the used one over the few new ones I was looking at since the used one was at the same price but had $12,480 worth of additional options on it that the new ones didn't have. I was also looking for a very specific color, trim level, & options at a specific price or less so I had very few cars to choose from, even though I searched nationwide for a couple of months. I felt lucky to find what I did so I bought before someone else snapped it up.

Just saw your updated post about pulling the trigger on the car in FL for $74.5K. I don't think you're going to beat that deal anywhere. I'm sure the car will be fine.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 09-12-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Mikec7z (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:58 PM
cclaffey
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great feedback and food for thought guys, thanks again.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

if you read my advice above in this thread, it tells him to use an attorney after he tries for free with BBB.

And i love nothing more than people who brag how long they have been in the car biz, for them only to find out... i have been in it much longer.
there's a line from someone who knows lemon laws well

You know, its one thing to ignorantly counter someone once, and see if they know what they are talking about.

Its another thing to keep pushing and pushing, and also being too lazy to type in "BBB Autoline Lemon Law" on google to read up on what the other person is speaking about.

You my friend, are in no danger of learning anything new any time soon.
Hats off to you, Mike. It's always great to see an eloquent answer to a noisy distracter.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:57 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Here, I can tell learning is hard for you to do on your own, and arguing is more fun. Let me help you out good sir. Notice the list below...

Notice Chrysler/Jeep is not a participant... you had to use a lawyer. Notice Chevrolet is a participant? Why don't you read up on how it works, its free, no judge needed to make the ruling, and they rule in our favor more than they do the manufacturers. Thaks for stopping by. 26 years in the car business and...

You my friend are a joke... I own 2 car lots and 2 car washes and I pay the BBB $500 for each a year to be accredited which means they will always side with me. Oh wait I'm sure you already knew that because you own car lots. I don't mind arguing with someone that knows what they are talking about but I don't have time to argue with stupid people. One more time just for the hell of it. He needs to contact a Lemon Law attorney and it won't cost him a dime. The attorney would get paid by GM in this case. One more time for you because you seem to be a little slow. I have done this with Chrysler and GM and I didn't have to do anything with the BBB because they are a joke. So I don't have time to be on here all day because I would rather be making money so I am done with trying to educate the stupid meaning you sir..
Old 09-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
Oh wait I'm sure you already knew that because you own car lots....
Yahtzee

Last edited by Mikec7z; 09-12-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

GarryL, have you tried the paint film company? And asked them if they can repair it? Technically, they could be to blame for this too, you could say their protection peeled up the paint. I wouldn't try to blame them so much, as I would just see if they can have it fixed well, and trim the film back in that area so that a good body guy can get in there and fix the paint to where it no longer bothers you.

A shopping cart could hit your car at a grocery, it costs you a few hundred to get it fixed right. If it were me, i would write this off as the "**** happens" category, and just see who can best fix it for the least amount of money, if the current repair does not please you.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 PM
GarryL
Burning Brakes

Received 892 Likes on 308 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified

GarryL, have you tried the paint film company? And asked them if they can repair it? Technically, they could be to blame for this too, you could say their protection peeled up the paint. I wouldn't try to blame them so much, as I would just see if they can have it fixed well, and trim the film back in that area so that a good body guy can get in there and fix the paint to where it no longer bothers you.

A shopping cart could hit your car at a grocery, it costs you a few hundred to get it fixed right. If it were me, i would write this off as the "**** happens" category, and just see who can best fix it for the least amount of money, if the current repair does not please you.

The film only goes close to the tangency point of the radius, hence there is no film in the area where the original fender vents carved away the paint. It's a known design flaw by GM. They are not disagreeing to repair it by stripping the film, repaint, clear coat, then having the film re-applied. I would much prefer another factory painted front bumper fascia and both fenders be shipped to my dealer from Bowling Green. This way I would not be swallowing diminished value due to re-paint.

And, Please guys, I would appreciate it if you two that are not getting along, kindly agree to disagree and keep this thread to the original intent being the GM design flaws causing paint flaking off. The thread took a side track about a disagreement and then on to the purchase of a car. I am hoping that this thread gets a lot of attention out there and hence would like to see it stay on track for the OP and others of us that GM needs to step up too!

Thanks for understanding

-Garry
Mikec7z (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Gary that sucks. I was worried about the same thing when they repaired mine. But I lucked out as screwing up in the xpel install (only doing front half of fenders) saved me. The body shop airbrushed and blended that tiny spot. It came out flawless.

I would go with what they want to do. Change it all and bite the bullet on film protection.. ask for gm good faith extended warranty or some compensation.

or have them peel the expel and blend like mine.

I have a thread with all the info and pre and post results. Then you would just need to replace suntek on the fenders...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ally-here.html

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-12-2018 at 07:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
GarryL (09-12-2018), Mikec7z (09-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM
HartRod
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar peeling issue going on with my Z06, as well as a couple of small "dents" in the top of the driver's side fender close to the windshield. It's very disappointing that GM doesn't really care about QC on their high end cars. I'm pretty sure I just purchased my last new GM vehicle....

Last edited by HartRod; 11-07-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:16 PM
vettnterry
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad customer service

Wow!! I can't believe GM would allow someone like this rep to speak with you about your paint or any other Corvette problem. It's a real shame that we pay the price we do for a Corvette and have to listen to this kind of crap when you have a problem... I would really push the issue of getting a GM representative from the Bowling Green plant (I'm pretty sure that's the only plant that makes the Corvette) to look at your Corvette.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:24 AM
manfrand
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GarryL

Hey Always Red Dave, I always appreciate what you post, but would you be happy with this on your new Z06? Would anyone else?? This is the newly designed fender vents installed with the paint touch-up. It's not the dealers fault, it's what they could do because of the Suntek Ultra Paint Protection Film on my car.

Apparently the 2019's are not immune. Noticed this yesterday. Car has PPF and ceramic coat so a front bumper respray is off the table. I guess I'll just use touch up paint.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM
pushc6
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by manfrand

Apparently the 2019's are not immune. Noticed this yesterday. Car has PPF and ceramic coat so a front bumper respray is off the table. I guess I'll just use touch up paint.
Can confirm 2019s aren't immune. Just found a chip in almost the same place on my arctic white. Looks like it's from the front fender\bumper gap being too tight and it rubbing from road vibrations. I'm going to take it to the dealer to get it documented, but since I too have PPF will likely just have to touch-up paint it.
manfrand (06-05-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues