C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

wont take a lot of time...

He goes to the dealer, documents the 3rd service attempt 1 way or another,

he sends the letter in... GM responds...

if the paint isnt fixed and stays fixed, he files with BBB.

They set a hearing date about a month out.

He shows up, GM gives him his money back or buys him a new car.

I would rather GM get their act together than stop doing biz with them. Its like saying lets just nuke their factory and not help them become better a their jobs. I think its the wrong approach.

The accountants run the show at GM, the only way to get the rest of the employees to do their job, is to have the accountants ALLOW the rest of the employees do their jobs.

The only way accountants change their ways, is when more money is paid out doing things the wrong way... VS money paid out to do things the right way.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-22-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by swaite
Was hoping not to go this route but that’s the next step.
Unfortunately, when someone has a serious issue/defect with their car, such as yours, & the car manufacturer tries to weasel out of their responsibility it's the only way to get them to do the right thing. It would be refreshing if they actually stood behind the products they build when issues like this occur. No matter what, going through the steps outlined by Mike is a definite hassle but I don't see how GM has a leg to stand on. You should win easily. Who could blame you if at the end you just take the money & never touch a GM product again.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

The way GM handles customer issues/complaint with one of their "top of the line" vehicles never ceases to amaze me. It borders on sheer arrogance.
Mikec7z (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:57 AM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I still can’t believe what is happening

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
The way GM handles customer issues/complaint with one of their "top of the line" vehicles never ceases to amaze me. It borders on sheer arrogance.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I would like to hear Kerbeck's side of the story. If I remember correctly, the OP a few years back purchased a new vette from a dealer in Maryland and had a mechanical issue that he brought to RK Chevrolet in Vineland, NJ and also had major issues with RK getting it repaired correctly. He ripped RK a new a**hole on the forum. Not sure how that ended up being resolved.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

This is a pathetic, sorry-assed response from GM to say the least. The ignorance of the CSR speaks volumes about how little GM really cares about a customer after they have his or her money. Your video is a nightmare for anyone in GM marketing who actually cares about what they are doing. No customer should have to endure this crap. Not ever! Keep fighting the fight, OP. Eventually the right person will see what's happening and make it right. At least that is the way it SHOULD end. Good luck with it.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

There isn't a 'top of the line' vehicle as far as GM is concerned if someone has a serious issue. A higher end Vette isn't treated any differently than a Chevy Spark. Like I said in post # 7, based on my friends first hand account, nothing has changed in this regard at GM in the last 18 years.
Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Further proof of this came to me first hand from a friend of mine. He worked for about a year at an outside firm contracted by GM to handle calls like this back in 2000, out here in Austin, TX. He told me that all they did all day was field calls like yours from the owners of various GM cars that had issues. He said they had no authority to help anyone & that their main job was to tell the car owners that nothing could be done & to get them off the phone as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 08-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
why did you buy the car if the paint was bad.didnt you look at it before you bought it.
Likely ordered and it came that way ! Happened to me but I was lucky to have a great dealer who fought for new paint on mine and I got a new paint job at my shop so i got a better than factory job. Lesson to all look them over well before you sign and don't accept poor quality! That is why of inspect them and buy in stock cars to avoid issues.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by direct007
I would like to hear Kerbeck's side of the story. If I remember correctly, the OP a few years back purchased a new vette from a dealer in Maryland and had a mechanical issue that he brought to RK Chevrolet in Vineland, NJ and also had major issues with RK getting it repaired correctly. He ripped RK a new a**hole on the forum. Not sure how that ended up being resolved.
Always one in the crowd!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Likely ordered and it came that way ! Happened to me but I was lucky to have a great dealer who fought for new paint on mine and I got a new paint job at my shop so i got a better than factory job. Lesson to all look them over well before you sign and don't accept poor quality! That is why of inspect them and buy in stock cars to avoid issues.
In OP's case, looking the car over didn't matter. The panels were rubbing and paint peeled away after a little bit of driving.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Is this car from the new paint plant recently built to correct paint issues?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cyi1
In OP's case, looking the car over didn't matter. The panels were rubbing and paint peeled away after a little bit of driving.
If you think it is from panel rubbing. Not me I think the mold release agent from improper paint prep that was another theroy. I don't remember this issue in 2015 at all.
I had a 2014 have a 2015 and 2017 none have the issue.

Originally Posted by jaden61
Is this car from the new paint plant recently built to correct paint issues?
No that would the 2019's I think he said his is 2018.

Maybe Tadge wants to chime in on this
He should Just WOW is that rep bad wow! OP should win this case they owe him a new car with good a paint job!

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to more than one person look like this!
Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

He should Just WOW is that rep bad wow! OP should win this case they owe him a new car with good a paint job!
Wow, three posts in a row, and an average of four per day? Do you have a life?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:27 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I had a dealer screw up my drivers seat. I fought with GM for over 6 months, They told me it was not a warranty issue originally and the dealer did it out of customer satisfaction so I had no recourse with GM. They finally sent me to a local trim shop to get it resolved.. Our GM contact sound the same lol.

Good luck.

Last edited by SK360; 08-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
There isn't a 'top of the line' vehicle as far as GM is concerned if someone has a serious issue. A higher end Vette isn't treated any differently than a Chevy Spark. Like I said in post # 7, based on my friends first hand account, nothing has changed in this regard at GM in the last 18 years.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but the failure of GM to change in the last 18 years is the problem. I paid more for my Z06 than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I don't expect preferential treatment, but I do expect to speak to someone who is knowledgeable about my vehicle if I have a problem or a complaint. To have the call taker tell the OP that Corvettes are made in a number of locations is an insult to his intelligence. I went through the same thing when I had a problem with my carbon fiber top. The only support I received was from the dealership, who thought my top should be replaced. Even after filing a formal complaint, the district manager wouldn't come to the dealership to look at it. After several weeks of getting the run around, I sent an email to Mary Barra. Amazingly, the dealership called the next day to advise me I was getting a new top. It just seems to me that those of us who spent a considerable amount of money for a GM vehicle should be treated as customers and not an adversary.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:46 PM
swaite
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Update #2 this morning I received a call from a GM field rep who assured me the issue will be fixed and I have a meeting with him Monday at Kerbeck. Looks like all of the attention is working.
The following 5 users liked this post by swaite:
dmaxx3500 (08-25-2018), JHEBERT (09-12-2018), Mikec7z (08-22-2018), Oneslackr (08-22-2018), wildgoat (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said, however I really feel bad for the OP. Nothing destroys the fun and enjoyment of buying a new Corvette Z06 than dealing with this type of crap right after taking delivery. The OP should be in his new Corvette honeymoon period and not on the phone with GM customer service and warranty claims.

Get notified of new replies

To Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues

Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Update #2 this morning I received a call from a GM field rep who assured me the issue will be fixed and I have a meeting with him Monday at Kerbeck. Looks like all of the attention is working.

So here is the deal, you want to still go ahead and send in the letter to the GM address. That makes it so this is their third and final repair.

Otherwise, IF you dont, and the problem arises again, then you still technically have to send in the letter before THAT time, and you still have to get them to cover it a 4th time... and then it still has to fail a 5th time to lemon the car (the only way BBB will assist you and the only way a lawyer can use lemon law to your advantage in a court room) If they dont fix your car a 4th time, when that time comes, you are a dead in the water. Or, if they fix it a 4th time, and then it peels a year later, but you are past lemon timeframe, you are dead in the water.

Instead of all that... This way, you send the letter to GM now today, they will get it by friday/saturday... you let the rep know that you are not coming in for repair until they acknowledge the letter has been received, and once they get back to you on monday that they have indeed received it... THEN you go in for repair.

If you dont send the letter in today, i promise you are going to regret it a year from know when the paint starts peeling again and they tell you to take a hike.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 08-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Oneslackr (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:09 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

No that would the 2019's I think he said his is 2018.
My 2019 Z06 (built in May 2018, painted in the new shop) just arrived with 7 miles on it and it had the same issue on the left fender edge on the inside of the headlight where it meets the bumper - paint was chipped. I bought the car out of state and had it shipped so I didn't see it before taking delivery. I was beside myself when I saw it because it looks like this has been going on for years and I had been told that the issue should not be present on 2019's. Other than this spot, the paint quality is good - uniform and no orange peel. I sent the car to my detailer immediately since I wanted to have certain panels Xpel'd and the whole car coated with ceramic. I pointed out the chip when I dropped it off. He's already chip repaired it and is going to come up with a game plan to prevent this from recurring, including potentially wedging some film on both panel edges, sliding foam in there, or potentially really layering on the ceramic to harden the edges. I just don't understand how this issue persists - how hard is it to widen the gap to prevent rubbing and ensure that the paint is bonding? I don't intend on losing my sh*t over the issue, but if it is something that reappears and I need to take it to a dealer to fix, I wonder what push back I'm going to get on fixing it under the argument that my detailer already worked on it. Given the OP's experience, it seems like I'd be better off not taking it to a dealer to be "fixed".
Old 08-22-2018, 04:51 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the failure of GM to change in the last 18 years is the problem. I paid more for my Z06 than any other vehicle I've ever owned. I don't expect preferential treatment, but I do expect to speak to someone who is knowledgeable about my vehicle if I have a problem or a complaint. To have the call taker tell the OP that Corvettes are made in a number of locations is an insult to his intelligence. I went through the same thing when I had a problem with my carbon fiber top. The only support I received was from the dealership, who thought my top should be replaced. Even after filing a formal complaint, the district manager wouldn't come to the dealership to look at it. After several weeks of getting the run around, I sent an email to Mary Barra. Amazingly, the dealership called the next day to advise me I was getting a new top. It just seems to me that those of us who spent a considerable amount of money for a GM vehicle should be treated as customers and not an adversary.
I know you weren't disagreeing with me & I completely agree with both of your posts. GM doesn't need to kiss our feet but they need to at least treat the owners fairly & expediently if we have manufacturing related issues with our cars, especially cars costing as much as Vettes cost nowadays. Any car from any manufacturer can have issues but it's how that issue is handled & resolved that makes the difference.

I was just pointing out that our Vettes might as well be Sparks as far as GM cares. GM customer service has SUCKED for 18 years (probably even longer than that) & it continues to suck. It's unbelievable. I had even forgotten that my friend worked as one of these C/S reps 18 years ago & what he told me back then until I saw the OP's video last night.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 08-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
DevilDog II (08-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Video of really bad GM customer service on Z06 paint issues