C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM Customer Service is a Joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:13 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default GM Customer Service is a Joke

And that's a compliment!

When I purchased my 2017 Z06 and it was delivered to my house with 7 miles on the odometer, I inspected inside and out. What I discovered was the supercharger top was stained in the polished aluminum areas. The stain looked like an etching, similar to water spots on the paint. I called the dealership and talked to them about it, but they are located 3,000 miles away. They said take it to your local GM dealer and have them treat it under warranty. So I took it to the dealership near me and they looked at it and said it might be able to be cleaned. So, on my 500 mile oil change, I asked them to fix it. Well, when I picked up the car, they said they did not get to it, then the service manager grabbed some bottle of cleaner and a rag and attempted in vain to clean off the spots. I said they could try it again at the next oil change and, if it could not be cleaned, then replace under warranty, since that is how it was built at the factory. Well, next oil change, they tell me they contacted GM and were told since it does not affect the performance of the vehicle, it is not covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. I said that is bs and gave them several scenarios where that is just plain horse$hiiit. Paint defects, chrome wheel defects, upholstery defects, etc. all covered under warranty though no impact on performance. The dealer gave me an 800 number for GM customer service. Here is where that got me:
1. Called and set up a claim. Explained in detail what the issue was, what the dealer told me GM instructed them on warranty
2. GM called back the same day to introduce me to the representative - April. She said we understand your issue and will work to resolve it.
3. Two days later, April calls me to tell me it is taking a bit more time as they reach out to those involved to get resolution.
4.Three days later, April calls me back to tell me they contacted the dealer, was told that the issue does not affect the performance of the vehicle, and therefore warranty claim denied.
5.WTF- All they did was call the dealer, who already told me that the part would not be covered under warranty. I told her I thought you were advocating for me and reaching out to someone at GM for an answer that made sense. I told her you did exactly nothing for me and we just went in a great big circle. She insisted she did much for me but had no authority to change the decision.

I cannot believe this crap.I know it is not a big deal and I can live with the issue, maybe even clean it up if I use the right product. But that is not the issue.The factory installed a part that was defective, even if it was only in appearance. Then to pass me on to this poor excuse for customer service is just adding insult to injury. It took every bit of will power on my part to keep the language civil when I was speaking to April. In her defense, I assume she is just doing her job that they probably gave her 15 minutes of training for and then said "good luck and remember, you cannot hang up on our loyal GM customers, even if they see through the bs your feeding them."
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (08-28-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:49 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

That's crap... It's easy to see them setting you up for it though, with the "we didn't get to it this time...how about the next oil change?"
Old 08-28-2018, 12:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with not affecting performance. GM says they aren't going to replace that part because of a cosmetic problem. Unlike paint on the outside or interior of the car the S/C cover doesn't have any function except to seal the top of the S/C its polish or lack thereof doesn't protect the S/C or cover or really affect it from a cosmetic standpoint. It doesn't need to look any better than the alternator or water pump look. You can always use some aluminum polish to make it better than the best one that comes out of the factory.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
iw172 (08-30-2018), Satanspawn (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:55 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

I think you are worrying way too much about the tiny section of milled raw aluminum on top of the blower lid. There are hills worth dying on...this is not one of them.
The following 4 users liked this post by Pacembellum:
HighBeta (08-28-2018), iw172 (08-30-2018), Satanspawn (08-28-2018), Z06NJ (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:44 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Got a pic so we can see it?
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (08-29-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:39 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

My SC lid also came from the factory with water stains on it. I never considered trying to have it replaced under warranty. I’ve been meaning to polish it with motorcycle metal polish.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:31 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by rbartick
My SC lid also came from the factory with water stains on it. I never considered trying to have it replaced under warranty. I’ve been meaning to polish it with motorcycle metal polish.
I know I'd do a better job at getting the stains off than some 19-year old kid at a dealership.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Try 3 M white rubbing compound. A trick appliance co,s use on stained Stainless. Start off buy rubbing lightly.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Post pictures. I'm sure you can clean it . I'm guessing if you want perfection, a Ferrari might suffice?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Mothers mag/aluminum polish and it’ll look better than it ever would have from the factory
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
And that's a compliment!

I cannot believe this crap.I know it is not a big deal and I can live with the issue, maybe even clean it up if I use the right product. But that is not the issue.The factory installed a part that was defective, even if it was only in appearance. Then to pass me on to this poor excuse for customer service is just adding insult to injury. It took every bit of will power on my part to keep the language civil when I was speaking to April. In her defense, I assume she is just doing her job that they probably gave her 15 minutes of training for and then said "good luck and remember, you cannot hang up on our loyal GM customers, even if they see through the bs your feeding them."
It could be worse. Perhaps you missed this thread about this forum members paint defects & GM's horrible customer service. Count your blessings that your issue is just a few stains on your SC lid.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-issues.html
Old 08-28-2018, 11:51 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

The OP wins the whine of the month contest. This beats out the "service people put three miles on my car during an oil change" thread by at least 5 car lengths.

If the OP spent one tenth the time using any metal polish and minimal elbow grease as he has spent moaning and groaning over a non issue, the raised fins on the cover would be sparkling.

What these type threads really illustrate is the infinite patience service people must have when dealing with some of their irrational customers.
The following 3 users liked this post by ronsc1985:
iw172 (08-30-2018), Oneslackr (08-28-2018), Satanspawn (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Op- post some pictures. Is it the exposed metal/aluminum fins or the black paint with the stains?

Slap a magnuson 2300 on. It will look more aesthetically pleasing and car go faster
Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
The OP wins the whine of the month contest. This beats out the "service people put three miles on my car during an oil change" thread by at least 5 car lengths.

If the OP spent one tenth the time using any metal polish and minimal elbow grease as he has spent moaning and groaning over a non issue, the raised fins on the cover would be sparkling.

What these type threads really illustrate is the infinite patience service people must have when dealing with some of their irrational customers.
OK ronsc1985, how about I add to my whine the fact that the same dealer, during the same service, cracked the rocker panel when they were doing the oil change. A car I had six months now has to have body work done because the dealer did not know how to lift the car properly. Now do I have enough to whine about? Oh and, by the way, the OP did spend time using metal polish and elbow grease and was not successful.

See all the replies that actually gave me suggestions on how to fix the problem? I would expect more from you, a CF Senior Member, but then maybe my expectations are too high and that's why I whine so much at so little. One of the things I really dislike about this forum is how many people respond with sarcasm, criticism, and sometimes downright mean. Just because you think it seems minor doesn't mean someone else should. And just to make it clear before you respond, you did not hurt my feelings with your reply. You just disappointed by not meeting my expectations.

Last edited by stoessjc; 08-28-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added content
Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

I gave the dealer the option of cleaning it or replacing it twice. I did not insist that the dealer replace it and would have been fine if the dealer had cleaned it. I wanted them to attempt the cleaning first and if they used something that made it worse, that would be on them. Both times they did nothing. If I had been at the dealership when I bought the car (not 3,000 miles away), I would have insisted that the dealer fix it, one way or another, before buying. I would not have driven it away accepting the flaw.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Nick B
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you post a picture? I would like to see a picture of what you are talking about.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:36 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To GM Customer Service is a Joke

Old 08-28-2018, 05:05 PM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bullitt4110
Mothers mag/aluminum polish and it’ll look better than it ever would have from the factory
Tried that with only minor improvement.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

My SC lid also came from the factory with water stains on it. I never considered trying to have it replaced under warranty.
Same here.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Op- post some pictures. Is it the exposed metal/aluminum fins or the black paint with the stains?

Mine came stained on the exposed metal. One day I'll try to polish it with the Harley Davidson metal/chrome polish I already have but I'm not pursuing a warranty replacement.

Quick Reply: GM Customer Service is a Joke