C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track brake pads for iron rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:43 AM
w28734
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track brake pads for iron rotors

I am hooked on taking my z06 to the track! This summer I've done 4 track days in my 2016 z06 with iron brakes and my stock pads are very near the end of their life. I would like to replace them with something that has more life than the stock pads while still being relatively gentle to the rotors.

The only street driving the car sees is the ~250 mile round trip to one of the local tracks and the occasional 6 mile round trip to the gym.

I'm currently leaning towards buying the ferodo ds1.11, but I'm also considering the raybestos st43 and carbotech xp12 front and xp10 rear (or maybe 10 front and 8 rear)

I have seen all these pads recommended at various times, but I would like to know if anyone has used several types of track pads and can give some insight as to how they compare with each other. I would also love to hear about any other suitable track pads that I didn't mention. Maximizing pad and rotor life while tracking the car is my main concern, as I feel like I can adapt to less bite and pedal feel.

Last edited by w28734; 08-29-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Powerstop. Track day pads for the track and Z26 for street. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Rikhek swears by Raybestos ST43 and I’ve talked to others that have used those with success too, maybe it was badhabit?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM
edster75
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

Carbotech from Adam!

Xp10 front and Xp8 rear, are working great so far. IMO the initial bite is stronger and the brakes feel better overall.

I haven't had them on long enough to comment on rotor wear, but they seem like they generate less dust than the stock pads. My stock pads were almost worn out with 2800 miles and a few HPDE's.

Very easy install on these cars too!
The following users liked this post:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 12:34 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by w28734
I am hooked on taking my z06 to the track! This summer I've done 4 track days in my 2016 z06 with iron brakes and my stock pads are very near the end of their life. I would like to replace them with something that has more life than the stock pads while still being relatively gentle to the rotors.

The only street driving the car sees is the ~250 mile round trip to one of the local tracks and the occasional 6 mile round trip to the gym.

I'm currently leaning towards buying the ferodo ds1.11, but I'm also considering the raybestos st43 and carbotech xp12 front and xp10 rear (or maybe 10 front and 8 rear)

I have seen all these pads recommended at various times, but I would like to know if anyone has used several types of track pads and can give some insight as to how they compare with each other. I would also love to hear about any other suitable track pads that I didn't mention. Maximizing pad and rotor life while tracking the car is my main concern, as I feel like I can adapt to less bite and pedal feel.

Everyone will argue. That is the world of brake pads. So I will base this on the level of triggering it creates.

Start with where you are - doing pretty good with Brembo OEM pads. They are roughly equivalent to a Ferodo DS2500 and work well for a beginner/novice.

-NOTE!! Almost any other street pad is a downgrade from those pads. If these work get maybe one more set off of a waxer for $100. They are GIVING them away.

Now look where you want to go - and this is where we start to trigger people.

-Lower end track pads - Powerstop, DBA, EBC - they will get you farther along on track but expect to be able to trash them quickly at some point in your progression. If not - you should spend on seat time and a driving coach rather than parts. These parts are mostly much cheaper chinese stuff and are best bought on Amazon. They are a good introduction to track parts based on the price and you might never exceed their capabilities. But we all want to harness our inner Ayrton Senna and go flat out and you will need more to do that.

It's a Z06/GS/Corvette etc though so it has high braking needs. So let's move up a bit.

Intermediate to high track pads

Examples are Carbotech XP12/10, Raybestos ST43 and Hawk DTC60. These are all pretty aggressive race pads and have pro's and cons. All work better with heat, add dust and noise etc - and get expensive. Some of these pads are a bit nicer to wheels, paint and rotors and some have a bit more wear resistance. A faster driver on Corvette 'street' tires is where these seem to fit best. You can REALLY create some arguments here but pedal feel that you like with a compound that has suitable temperature range seems to be the answer. Some like aggressive hard bite - others like a more manageable feel. Note: Not so many users try various brands myself included since that is such an expensive 'test'. That's too bad.

Once you start to burn these up there are several super high friction/heat pads and they will take every bit of your abuse. But now the replacement intervals start to make the BBK options look good. You'll have spent thousands already by then so you should have developed your own preference and you'll be numb to the cost of track brakes.

Have fun at the track and don't overthink it. It's a hobby!

BTW -

VIR is CLOSED today. Road is blocked. NO ENTRY.

I really wonder if a certain new mid-engine supercar is there testing?

The following 4 users liked this post by KNSBrakes:
jswatek (08-29-2018), Sean Young (10-08-2021), w28734 (08-29-2018), Z06NJ (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 PM
jswatek
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 117 Posts

I agree 100%. I think the stock pads were a great street pad and light track use pad, except for dust. Those that want less dust and less performance go for the ceramic pads.

Last edited by jswatek; 08-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a brand new set of DS2500 pads for iron rotors that I had purchased for my Grand Sport but since sold the car and the Z06 I’m picking up has carbon ceramics. I’m in Nor cal also, Pm me if interested and we can work something out.

Get notified of new replies

To Track brake pads for iron rotors

Quick Reply: Track brake pads for iron rotors