C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Where did my coolant temp go??

Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 PM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where did my coolant temp go??

I use the sport mode display. Always had oil pressure and coolant temp as my pocket guages. Changed them to oil temp and HP and now when I go in to change them back coolant temp is not there. Oil pressure, trans temp, oil temp, HP all there but no coolant temp. Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2018, 03:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee1LE
I use the sport mode display. Always had oil pressure and coolant temp as my pocket guages. Changed them to oil temp and HP and now when I go in to change them back coolant temp is not there. Oil pressure, trans temp, oil temp, HP all there but no coolant temp. Any ideas?
What year car do you have? I looked at the 2015 and 2019 OMs and Coolant temp isn't one of the selectable displays for the pocket gauges. You get to select between Oil Pressure Gauge, Oil Temperature Gauge, Battery Voltage, Transmission Fluid Temperature
Gauge, Horsepower, or a blank gauge.

I know with my 2015 Z06 the only place I can see coolant temp is in the Tour display where it is shown in digital format in a vertical column to the right of the Tachometer partial circle.

Bill
Old 08-31-2018, 04:04 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

In tour and economy mode I can select an option under “performance” gauge tab (click left and down 1) when cycling through the display options that shows my coolant and oil temp in degrees and not as a hard to read gauge.

any way to add this to sport mode? Or do I need to switch all gauges to display “tour” info and not “linked to drive mode”

Last edited by Pacembellum; 08-31-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:48 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

For the coolant tank fluid level, there is only one line right? Is it min or max line? and it's so hard to see!!

All the cars I had they all got min and max line, how come this one only has one level line? anyways the coolant is about 1.5 inch below that line, I assume it's cold fill line and I am low on coolant, since it's not too much is it ok just to fill it up with distilled water only?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Unless they added it later years and don't know about it, engine coolant is not and never was available as a pocket gauge, so you're 'misremembering' that one!

Weirdly, there's no mechanical gauge either. It's almost like GM had something to hide ;-) So that center-stack detail gauge is your only choice.

Last edited by davepl; 09-05-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Bee1LE
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Unless they added it later years and don't know about it, engine coolant is not and never was available as a pocket gauge, so you're 'misremembering' that one!

Weirdly, there's no mechanical gauge either. It's almost like GM had something to hide ;-) So that center-stack detail gauge is your only choice.
Thanks Dave and Bill for your responses. I took a closer look and the pocket gauge I previously had was the oil temp all along.. not coolant temp.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:48 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Is our coolant system pressurized?
Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

This is the thread I "thought" I posted in! Oops on another...

This may have changed over the years but in my '17 in Sport mode, my left pocket gage (the default option) shows coolant temp.

Made a point to look at it today when running around and confirmed coolant temp is shown and made a point to check options that I could change it from coolant to oil temp as desired.

Is our coolant system pressurized?
All modern automotive water-cooled coolant systems are pressurized...

Allen
Old 09-07-2018, 03:20 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee1LE
Thanks Dave and Bill for your responses. I took a closer look and the pocket gauge I previously had was the oil temp all along.. not coolant temp.
I display coolant in the DIC area of my 2016 Z06. I would have preferred if they had kept the dedicated coolant temp gauge from the regular model and added the "boost" gauge as a pocket gauge. Then those who wanted could have the two most useless bits of data displayed at once, horsepower in one pocket gauge and boost in the other

Old 09-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

I don't know about prior years but coolant temp is certainly available as a pocket gauge on my 2018. I just took the pic below a few minutes ago. I like the sport mode instrument display with my pocket gauges being oil pressure (left)/coolant temp(right).

Old 09-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Does the fact that some say they can't display coolant temp as a pocket gauge (or at all) have to do with the model year of their car? Or is it dependent on whether the car is an A8 or M7, with each having slightly different choices for the instrument cluster display/pocket gauges?

Last edited by Oneslackr; 09-07-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Does the fact that some say they can't display coolant temp as a pocket gauge (or at all) have to do with the model year of their car? Or is dependent on whether the car is an A8 or M7, with each having slightly different choices for the instrument cluster display/pocket gauges?
Makes sense, especially with the upgrade on the '19 (and I think '18) track gage cluster to indicate levels better. I can attest again that my '17 allows for coolant temp with the Sport pocket gages...

Allen

The following users liked this post:
Oneslackr (09-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Where did my coolant temp go??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where did my coolant temp go??