C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question on low air and threadwear

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Question on low air and threadwear

so I was taking out the z06 with 5500 miles and got low air (16 lbs) warning. filled it to 36 lbs and drove to Firestone. told me they couldn't lift it to look at but told me the outside threads on both rear tires are below standard. Drove home and it stayed at 36 lbs but will take it to the dealer. Is it possible to have to replace back tires at 5500 miles? I don't track or abuse it

tks Ted

Last edited by Ted P; 09-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

You might have a slow leak.

Other than that you might have a cracked wheel. Which is very common in our cars. That will lead to the odd air pressure loss.
The following users liked this post:
Ted P (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
so I was taking out the z06 with 5500 miles and got low air (16 lbs) warning. filled it to 36 lbs and drove to Firestone. told me they couldn't lift it to look at but told me the outside threads on both rear tires are below standard.

tks Ted
firestone may be full of crap. Brand new mpss on a c7z sitting on the showroom floor with 5 miles look like there below standard on the outside parameter of the tire. Take a close up picture of the tire tread and post it in the thread. I am sure you’ll get plenty of opinions on that.

Take your car to the dealer ask for their best vett tech. Don’t let anyone less touch the car. get that persons opinion on the tires. Also get a street alignment if you don’t track the car. Chances are your tires are fine. As someone else said maybe you have a cracked wheel.

Before taking to the dealer If it were my car car right now, I would check the tire in question for any nails. Then I would fill up all the fires up to 40lbs measured with a good tire gauge. Drive the car home. Let the tires cool off for 2 or 3 hours. Then measure pressure again with that gauge , write down the pressure for each tire. Let the car sit for 3 days without driving then Re-measure pressure, if there is any deviation you have a problem with the wheel , tire or valve stem.

Could be a cracked wheel.

I only street drive my car and I always run my tires at 35lbs cold. My theory is running lower pressure then that allows the tire to compress more if you hit a pot hole allowing the sharp edge or the pavement to hit and crack the wheel. it’s a little harsher ride but it works for me with Re higher pressure and the tires don’t skip in low speed parking lot turns.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-03-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

firestone may be full of crap. Brand new mpss on a c7z sitting on the showroom floor with 5 miles look like there below standard on the outside parameter of the tire. Take a close up picture of the tire tread and post it in the thread. I am sure you’ll get plenty of opinions on that.

Take your car to the dealer ask for their best vett tech. Don’t let anyone less touch the car. get that persons opinion on the tires. Also get a street alignment if you don’t track the car. Chances are your tires are fine. As someone else said maybe you have a cracked wheel.

Before taking to the dealer If it were my car car right now, I would check the tire in question for any nails. Then I would fill up all the fires up to 40lbs measured with a good tire gauge. Drive the car home. Let the tires cool off for 2 or 3 hours. Then measure pressure again with that gauge , write down the pressure for each tire. Let the car sit for 3 days without driving then Re-measure pressure, if there is any deviation you have a problem with the wheel , tire or valve stem.

Could be a cracked wheel.

I only street drive my car and I always run my tires at 35lbs cold. My theory is running lower pressure then that allows the tire to compress more if you hit a pot hole allowing the sharp edge or the pavement to hit and crack the wheel. it’s a little harsher ride but it works for me with Re higher pressure and the tires don’t skip in low speed parking lot turns.

thanks for the feedback. took a good look and saw no nails. drove yesterday and definitely no potholes. put in 38 lbs 2 hours ago. at 36 now. here is a picture of the threadware

Last edited by Ted P; 09-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Well are you checking tire pressures while cold or hot?

You're supposed to check when cold and understand pressures rise as temps go up.

If all this checks out and you are still losing air. Take the wheel off and inspect the tire. You can't do that while it's on the car.

Then look at the inside of the barrel and the backside of the wheel for cracks.

Like i said, it's common on our cars.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Well are you checking tire pressures while cold or hot?

You're supposed to check when cold and understand pressures rise as temps go up.

If all this checks out and you are still losing air. Take the wheel off and inspect the tire. You can't do that while it's on the car.

Then look at the inside of the barrel and the backside of the wheel for cracks.

Like i said, it's common on our cars.

yep understand about checking when hot/cold. Will monitor rest of day to see if it drops and take to dealer tomorrow to check the wheel. So does the tire wear look worn at 5500 miles?

tks Ted
Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

yep understand about checking when hot/cold. Will monitor rest of day to see if it drops and take to dealer tomorrow to check the wheel. So does the tire wear look worn at 5500 miles?

tks Ted
It's hard to tell from the pic but it "looks like" the inside is more worn than the outer edges. Which IIRC means over inflation.

WHy are you putting 38lbs in the tire anyway? The manufacturer calls for 30psi on all 4.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
It's hard to tell from the pic but it "looks like" the inside is more worn than the outer edges. Which IIRC means over inflation.

WHy are you putting 38lbs in the tire anyway? The manufacturer calls for 30psi on all 4.

I only put in 38 because it was down to 16 lbs. I have 32 normally. just put in 38 in case it was flat/nail so I could get to Firestone. yes the outside is worn more but is that normal ?
Old 09-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I only put in 38 because it was down to 16 lbs. I have 32 normally. just put in 38 in case it was flat/nail so I could get to Firestone. yes the outside is worn more but is that normal ?
Actually it looks like the insides are worn more than the outsides. Which is the result of over inflation.

I would stick with 30psi when cold to make sure all tires wear evenly. That is of course your alignment is perfect.

I had my alignment done at 8k, and it was off. Not by much but the alignment from factory has been known to be off.

Your tires look "ok" at 5500. I got rid of my PSS at around that mileage, but it looked way better than yours. It actually looked brand new. Which is how i was able to sell it for almost what it goes for brand new.

I have conti's on the car now. SOOOO much better. After a couple thousand miles the tires look brand spankin new too.
The following users liked this post:
Ted P (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 04:22 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

The same thing happened to me and I just took the wheel and tire to the dealer and had them patch it. I didn't want them dealing with the car.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

thanks for the feedback. took a good look and saw no nails. drove yesterday and definitely no potholes. put in 38 lbs 2 hours ago. at 36 now. here is a picture of the threadware

your tire tread on the outside parameter looks fine.

The firestone dealer is full of ****.

that back tire has at least 7 to 10k miles left on it.

It it doesn’t look much different then new.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-03-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
juanvaldez (09-03-2018), mjcourt (09-04-2018), Ted P (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Not sure why posters here are saying that inside wear being worse than outside wear is due to low tire pressure; it's really not. It's the alignment.

These cars are rarely properly aligned from factory, and suspension heights are all over the place from factory as well. That's been documented here in many threads before (suspension heights).

I have had my rears wear the same way as yours on other cars...and each and every time it's happened, it was ALWAYS due to alignment. With these harsh riding tires and rigid suspension systems, it takes literally nothing to toss the car out of alignment...and most people don't even realize the rears need to be aligned. A few potholes will ruin the alignment in a heartbeat.

I now check alignments often on all my cars, front and back...each car at least once a season. It's cheaper than replacing tires...and you don't feel when the rear alignment is off, unlike the fronts.

Your car needs an alignment. I am willing to bet it's off to the extent the tire wear indicates.

If by chance you have ever lowered your car, even on the stock bolts, the alignment had to be done. When I got my 2016 Z new, the alignment was so far off it was laughable. Very poor to no Q/C on these cars at the factory. Typical GM, being cheap *************....nothing new there.

Like was posted above, tire looks like it still has plenty of life in it.

Last edited by FastestBusaAround; 09-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Not sure why posters here are saying that inside wear being worse than outside wear is due to low tire pressure; it's really not. It's the alignment.

These cars are rarely properly aligned from factory, and suspension heights are all over the place from factory as well. That's been documented here in many threads before (suspension heights).

I have had my rears wear the same way as yours on other cars...and each and every time it's happened, it was ALWAYS due to alignment. With these harsh riding tires and rigid suspension systems, it takes literally nothing to toss the car out of alignment...and most people don't even realize the rears need to be aligned. A few potholes will ruin the alignment in a heartbeat.

I now check alignments often on all my cars, front and back...each car at least once a season. It's cheaper than replacing tires...and you don't feel when the rear alignment is off, unlike the fronts.

Your car needs an alignment. I am willing to bet it's off to the extent the tire wear indicates.

If by chance you have ever lowered your car, even on the stock bolts, the alignment had to be done. When I got my 2016 Z new, the alignment was so far off it was laughable. Very poor to no Q/C on these cars at the factory. Typical GM, being cheap *************....nothing new there.

both back tires have the same wear and I took it in for alignment this spring and they told me it was ok. it was their corvette tech/expert . I had the alignment checked because of threads where the camber is not set for normal driving at the factory. I only put about 1800 miles on it since. I'll have the dealer look at it again when I take it in tomorrow. It's down to 30 lbs from 38 this afternoon so definitely a leak. I appreciate all the feedback. What I love best about this forum

Last edited by Ted P; 09-03-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

both back tires have the same wear and I took it in for alignment this spring and they told me it was ok. it was their corvette tech/expert . I had the alignment checked because of threads where the camber is not set for normal driving at the factory. I only put about 1800 miles on it since. I'll have the dealer look at it again when I take it in tomorrow. It's down to 30 lbs from 38 this afternoon so definitely a leak. I appreciate all the feedback. What I love best about this forum
You've undoubtedly got a cracked wheel brother. Welcome to the club.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:30 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround

actually its inner wear more than outer is over inflation not under inflation.

that's of course if the alignment checks out ok. But even when I had my alignment was checked and corrected, the tires I took off looked far better than OP with the same miles. I didnt have that inner wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on low air and threadwear

Quick Reply: Question on low air and threadwear