C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Considering used Z06. Any visible differences between the 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:03 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
The z07 brakes really only save 20-25lbs
I thought it was 8-10 lbs per rotor? Well 20-25 lbs of unsprung weight is a lol lol
Old 09-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Who buys a sports car for Cadillac appointments? My 1lz has PDR and is my car of choice less weight which is a major consideration, Glued on fake leather scraps that over time come loose.
Plus are worth next to nothing on resale. You can have great car for 70k or you can add every option for the same price if you wait for the left overs that didn't sell.
30k extra or some cheap options? I go with the lighter more dependable car. The memory seats are famous for screwing up.
I rather spend 70k spend another 8800.00 and make a real sports tuner car that will pull away from a ZR1. That weights 3450 instead of 3650.

They load the high priced options that really drop to little to no value at resale when the whole car is the real value. The 1lz is hardly the penalty box. It really is the best choice IMO!
So vinyl seat skins weigh less than leather seating surfaces with vinyl skin on the other parts? How much more does the leather wrapped dash and doors weigh than the vinyl versions? The heated and cooled seats will add somewhere around 10 lbs and the inflatable side bolsters and lumbar support will add another 15 pounds. So the 3LZ will run about 25 pounds more than a 1LZ. How much more do the electronically dimmed mirrors weigh? A few ounces?

Not a lot of weight for the extra luxury of the interior.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
SoCalFinest (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

No going to argue about which version is poor verse rich. I did 2LZ because I drive my car a ton and this trim level was for me the practical choice.

If you drive a bunch 2LZ is in my opinion the best option because.

1) Parking cameras in the front (2LZ and 3LZ). I have Aero2 and the cameras make parking a breeze. One damaged spoiler and you will wish you had them.
2) Intrusion detection. 2LZ and 3LZ include sensors in the doors to set off the alarm if someone reaches into the car with the alarm set. Drive a ton and have the windows down, roof off or a convertible this is a very nice feature.
3) Vented seats are great in the summer and make a major difference. Especially if the roof is off. (Only 2LZ or 3LZ)
4) Better stereo same on 2LZ or 3LZ
5) PDR and NAV is optional. The NAV sucks and all 2016+ cars have android auto or apple carplay which is a ton better. PDR is nice but not needed if you do not track. (Valet mode is a bonus with PDR) My car has the PDR and NAV but I would not order these features if I ordered a new car. (If you planning on tracking then 100% get the PDR.)
6) 3LZ the leather tends to wrinkle and come apart in the sun. (Mentioned above by others.) It is not an issue with 2LZ cars. I had a friend have a buy back on his 3LZ car after they replaced his dash 3 times. Mine looks brand new still.
7) Homelink is on 2LZ or 3LZ which is nice
8) Memory seats are great if you have multiple drivers. Again available only on 2LZ and 3LZ
9) If you get Comp seats then the leather is the same on the seats for both 2LZ and 3LZ.

If you do plan on driving a ton (1000+ miles a month) I would not do Z07. The tires will wear out quick with many owners replacing them with the factory non Z07 tires. The CC brakes are very expensive to replace or repair if they get damaged or wear out. On the street you will not see any benefit verse the steel brakes.

Just a rotor replacement comparison.

Amazon Amazon
$387.00 for steel rotor

Amazon Amazon
$1620.00 for CC rotor

You can literally do a full brake replacement on a steel car for the cost of a single corner of CC.

End of the day. Get what fits your budget. The car is a ton of fun.
KombatKing (12-04-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

The 3lz cars don’t weigh that much more, it’s a seat heater, nav kit and a tiny subwoofer...plus 3lz considering it INCLUDED PDR/Nav so your 1lz adding that for $2000 is only a $6000 difference.
Plus I got the car 12% off custom build.
now if you just wanted to strip down and make a track car then of course 1lz but if you want a car that will look as nice as $200k 911 turbo it’s 3lz or bust. If the suede peels that’s a warranty anyways don’t park long term in the heat no car interiors like that. I live in Sacramento California we get to about 110 sometimes and no issues with my interior.
Nah, the quality of the interior isn't up to Porsche standards regardless of trim level.

At the end of the day you just bought an overpriced 3LZ Chevy with poverty brakes built by Gov't Motors.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 PM
SoCalFinest
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Nah, the quality of the interior isn't up to Porsche standards regardless of trim level.

At the end of the day you just bought an overpriced 3LZ Chevy with poverty brakes built by Gov't Motors.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:16 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I just bought a 3LZ and just sold a 1LT Grand Sport, the leather dash and trim is a lot nicer and the extra features are nice but I would have been just as happy with a 2LZ as I only really wanted the heated/cooled comp seats and PDR that my grand sport did not have.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SoCalFinest

Lol.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 AM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't want to get into the 1lz 2lz 3lz argument. Just want to pass on Waylens has a awesome data performance camera does everything the GM one does and a lot more for anyone that does not have a PDR could be an option.

Last edited by duanesZ06; 09-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr

Didn’t you know there’s German leather on the 4LZ/4LT ? The package also puts the key to the left of the steering wheel and gives you a Burmester stereo. Just $200k more. Totally worth it.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-08-2018 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parcival:
Mikec7z (09-11-2018), Oneslackr (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 12:18 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Parcival

Didn’t you know there’s German leather on the 4LZ/4LT ? The package also puts the key to the left of the steering wheel and gives you a Burmester stereo. Just $200k more. Totally worth it.
Lol. Where do I sign up?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:38 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

they already tried that.. was a huge expense and the end result was nice when new...not so much down the road... hopefully that changes when our 3LZ's age.. (fingers crossed the leather on the dash stays tucked in lol).
Old 09-08-2018, 12:39 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I own a 1LZ with chrome wheels and Navigation. I recently added carbon fiber side skirts from Katech and they really add to the appearance.
Still deciding about a carbon fiber front splitter from Katech.

What would I like to have: Front cameras.
What is a deal breaker for me: Interior suede. In one season I would have the suede mucked up and would be disappointed forever. Suede seat... suede on the steering wheel. Never (at least for me)!

I owned a 2014 base 2LT with heated seats... never used them.
Memory seats seemed to act up and did not go to where they were suppose to. Probably my fault.

I was disappointed in the 2016 Z06 not being a 2LZ but have concluded that other than the forward camera, for me, it lacks nothing that I need.
(I am currently looking into Curb warning systems to protect any front splitter I may add on)

I have received preliminary approval (from "SHE" who must be obeyed) for (maybe) a ZR1 or C8 in the future. Navigation is a must. Level 2 would be nice, but if it is only available with suede seat inserts and steering wheel, I will likely just "Option Up" a level one if possible.

Last edited by dckotwicki; 09-08-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:39 PM
E Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1lz = poverty vette

2lz = poor mans vette

3lz = actually nice vehicle with appointments befitting a 100k sports car I.e. suede trim, PDR, napa leather, etc
LOL
Poverty or Poor man that buys new or slightly used sport cars HA

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
So vinyl seat skins weigh less than leather seating surfaces with vinyl skin on the other parts? How much more does the leather wrapped dash and doors weigh than the vinyl versions? The heated and cooled seats will add somewhere around 10 lbs and the inflatable side bolsters and lumbar support will add another 15 pounds. So the 3LZ will run about 25 pounds more than a 1LZ. How much more do the electronically dimmed mirrors weigh? A few ounces?

Bill
The glued on leather wrapped dash and interior panels are not good quality material many, many complaint's it will come apart over time esp if you leave it in the sun and the difference in the cars is more than 25 pounds! I'll take the 1lz.
The electronic mirror and the homelink were both about 120.00 each and take 5 minutes for me add. The comp seats is only option worth paying for.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-11-2018 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

the top of the dash will be leather and often a different color on the 3lz and 2lz by the steering wheel. I personally would not buy a 1lz, i love my 3lz

The leather coming off is due to heat in the sunshine.. keep your car under a roof, in the shade, and you wont have the problem. If you do have the problem, i have seen many covered by GM warranty, no issues.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 09-11-2018 at 10:32 AM.
OINC (06-07-2020)
Old 09-11-2018, 03:13 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
the top of the dash will be leather and often a different color on the 3lz and 2lz by the steering wheel. I personally would not buy a 1lz, i love my 3lz

The leather coming off is due to heat in the sunshine.. keep your car under a roof, in the shade, and you wont have the problem. If you do have the problem, i have seen many covered by GM warranty, no issues.
Plenty with issues do a search. The warranty is only 3 years. The car is half paid for most but the interior is coming apart.. Then keeping it out of the sun???? The 3 lz leather is the add on with the different color Not the interior all Corvette's have that is there before they glue the 3 lz stuff on! I much rather have the 1 lz or 2lz and would pass on any 3lz period. But I know the cars first one I bought was 1979 and number 10 is coming by spring. Then the issues with the memory seats too!
IMO Sports cars should weight less not more from fluff that is not needed.
Mikec7z (09-11-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 AM
KMAC70
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The glued on leather wrapped dash and interior panels are not good quality material many, many complaint's it will come apart over time esp if you leave it in the sun and the difference in the cars is more than 25 pounds! I'll take the 1lz.
The electronic mirror and the homelink were both about 120.00 each and take 5 minutes for me add. The comp seats is only option worth paying for.
I need to order the Homelink and the Electronic Mirror for my new 1LZ. Did you just order GM Parts / order at the dealer? Or aftermarket? thanks! Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To Considering used Z06. Any visible differences between the 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ?

Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Who buys a sports car for Cadillac appointments? My 1lz has PDR and is my car of choice less weight which is a major consideration, Glued on fake leather scraps that over time come loose.
Plus are worth next to nothing on resale. You can have great car for 70k or you can add every option for the same price if you wait for the left overs that didn't sell.
30k extra or some cheap options? I go with the lighter more dependable car. The memory seats are famous for screwing up.
I rather spend 70k spend another 8800.00 and make a real sports tuner car that will pull away from a ZR1. That weights 3450 instead of 3650.

They load the high priced options that really drop to little to no value at resale when the whole car is the real value. The 1lz is hardly the penalty box. It really is the best choice IMO!
When the car cost 100kish, you want a nice interior, with options. Go look at car auctions and come tell me options aren’t important to Everyone but those building a pure race car. A/C, power windows, seats, brakes, suspension, larger engine etc. not important to most? Do a little research; most people who can afford it want the best of everything.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Outlaw Joe
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

1lz = poverty vette

2lz = poor mans vette

3lz = actually nice vehicle with appointments befitting a 100k sports car I.e. suede trim, PDR, napa leather, etc
1lz = Enthusiast vette
2lz = smart man's vette
3lz = wasting of money doesn't make the car look like $100,000 car !!!!!
Old 11-30-2018, 07:15 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Seems like too much worrying about a few pounds. Hell, this could get to a debate between whether or not you should eat a large meal or a salad before getting into the car. I realize we're talking un-sprung weight vs sprung but still....

Quick Reply: Considering used Z06. Any visible differences between the 1LZ, 2LZ, and 3LZ?