C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More miles on the A8 and?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

OP , I'm very interested in your findings with the ZR1 TB on an A8. Currently have a ported TB but very interested in the ZR1 TB on a stock tune. Thanks for posting what you have learned so far.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Go to the dealer and drive an A8 FIRST. Pretty confident you'll go home in the M7.

Asking that guy his opinion is basically allowing him to make your decision. Because if you don't do or buy or install EVERYTHING HE'S DONE AND INSTALLED, then you are 100% wrong. It's either his way, his experience, or it never happened nor it can never happen. He lives in his own world.

The A8 is fast. But the paddles are useless (especially for competitive driving) and A8 owners will even admit in order to not overheat, you just leave it in D and not use the paddles. What fun is this auto if you can't even use the paddles? lol

The downshifts are terrible, that is fact. There is no mod, video, nor testimonial that will prove otherwise. The A8 CAN NOT downshift fast. It downshifts like a person who is driving a manual downshifts without heel and toe'ing and using the engine to slow the car down. You know what i mean. That's how slow and sluggish the downshifts are.

Other than that, the A8 is good in traffic though lol
You need to drive the A8 for a few weeks to really know the thing. So obvious you have driven one very little or not at all!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
You need to drive the A8 for a few weeks to really know the thing. So obvious you have driven one very little or not at all!
I can't speak to the other posters opinion of the A8... I can speak to MY EXPERIENCE... which is VERY limited... because I'm trying to decide which to fit my new Z06 with. And why I ask for experiences and opinions - because I have my own, but respect he fact others know a lot more about the A8 than I do.
My local dealer has been great letting me drive cars repeatedly... but they are just test drives.
I stated elsewhere the M7 car feels "more alive" but I showed up expecting to buy an A8.
The issue it sounds like - to decide if you really like it - you need several days behind the paddles, as it were. And that's just not gonna happen when kicking tires and making decisions on a new car. That's why I asked earlier in this thread what changed the posters opinion from "not a fan" to "really liking" it. Because, to me, in my experiences it's a long way from coming home with me.
I'm here to learn and make as educated a decision as I can on a very expensive car... that's all.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
What year does he have? Like I said you really don't know till you drive a few thousand miles on the car. IMO Even an hour drive doesn't clue you in on how to drive for one thing.
Mine shifts quickly even at part throttle much improved over what you are thinking. 16 M3 loses by a country mile to this car! Would not want one after the Z06. I had one!
I have no doubt you found the C7 A8 better than you expected vs the C6 auto.

I did have both the A8 and M7 in the '17 C7 (just sold the A8 GS and bought the M7 Z). I put nearly 8k miles on it over 14 months and my experience was the part throttle was definitely less-than-urgent to downshift in 3k rpm range. It was so noticeable that I switched to only using the paddle M mode during the last 3k miles I put on the A8.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-07-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
I have no doubt you found the C7 A8 better than you expected vs the C6 auto.

I did have both the A8 and M7 in the '17 C7 (just sold the A8 GS and bought the M7 Z). I put nearly 8k miles on it over 14 months and my experience was the part throttle was definitely less-than-urgent to downshift in 3k rpm range. It was so noticeable that I switched to only using the paddle M mode during the last 3k miles I put on the A8.
The auto can definitely be just as fun, if not more fun than a manual........IF THE CAR HAS A PROPER AUTO.

Meaning a dual clutch. Why does your fun have to be LIMITED TO WOT pulls? What about just merging on the highway with some sort of urgency just to get up to speed?

Are you people either driving like grandma or driving like jeff gordon when you're in your Z? That there is no such thing as in the middle type of driving?

Sorry but if the trans can't shift as fast in the 3k rpm vs redline, then that's a terrible trans to put in a high performance car like the z06 lol

Because if what GM is doing was correct, other manufacturers would ditch what they have and go copy GM and their trans.

Can you imagine the A8 be in a car like the GT2RS?? LOL That car would go from perfect to, "ehh it's ok, it's a quick porsche". The GT2RS is perfection power wise and the trans just adds that cherry on top. Because it's a fast shifting trans, both upshifts and downshifts. Instantaneous the absolute moment you click the paddle, it responds.

Hopefully GM doesn't make the mistake and throw a terrible trans in any of the C8 models. Has to be dual clutch if auto. Or might as well just caulk up a loss and work towards it in the C9, if there is one lol
Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

The auto can definitely be just as fun, if not more fun than a manual........IF THE CAR HAS A PROPER AUTO.

Meaning a dual clutch. Why does your fun have to be LIMITED TO WOT pulls? What about just merging on the highway with some sort of urgency just to get up to speed?

Are you people either driving like grandma or driving like jeff gordon when you're in your Z? That there is no such thing as in the middle type of driving?

Sorry but if the trans can't shift as fast in the 3k rpm vs redline, then that's a terrible trans to put in a high performance car like the z06 lol

Because if what GM is doing was correct, other manufacturers would ditch what they have and go copy GM and their trans.

Can you imagine the A8 be in a car like the GT2RS?? LOL That car would go from perfect to, "ehh it's ok, it's a quick porsche". The GT2RS is perfection power wise and the trans just adds that cherry on top. Because it's a fast shifting trans, both upshifts and downshifts. Instantaneous the absolute moment you click the paddle, it responds.

Hopefully GM doesn't make the mistake and throw a terrible trans in any of the C8 models. Has to be dual clutch if auto. Or might as well just caulk up a loss and work towards it in the C9, if there is one lol
Real important about lighting shifts at 3k? Then here we ago again mentioning and comparing cars that cost 5-6 times as much to compare to the Z06. Cars you will never own ! These experts kill me! The M7 is sweet But the A8 is pretty sweet too! Since you likely haven't even drove a 2017. You do know the they improve the tuning. Magazine racing is what it sounds like.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

Yes I have the M7. However a friend has an auto Z06 and I’m not impressed with the transmission. He actually wishes it was an M7 but he got a great deal and compromised. After having my 16 M3 with the DCT it would annoy the hell out of me. When I want to change gears I don’t need a computer taking its time to tell me it’s okay.
I have owned both c7z m7 and now c7z A8
yes the M7 is a bit more fun if no traffic exists
the A8 is very quick if driven hard. Basically the more throttle application the quicker the shift.

never ever drive paddles if cruising side streets with less than 50% throttle application. The A8 is pathetic in that regard.

Now to me I have owned both the A8 is quicker and is higher in the rpm band than the M7 when shifting
also a reason the A8 heat soaks quicker

in track mode the transmission is alway in the sweet spot on revs and ready to go. It down shifts the same way it up shifts, the harder the car stops the quicker the downshift yo the perfect gear.

unfortunately these cars are so fast for the street that it is hard to experience this unless you have a lot of seat time and wide open roads and time to play around.

i too drive the auto very casually and hated it bought the M7.

Now i have th A8 and like it. I drive the car almost every day. I would never do that with my M7.

1000 pushes of the clutch to do 15 miles in rush hour

not for me anymore.

that said I do miss shifting (not clutching) I can’t lie

Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 AM
chevyfanatic
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys get your transmission tuned and quit bitching ..it will make a huge difference.

for one thing you won't have the fuel cut off that happens every time you shift . your shifts will Bang a lot harder like a dual clutch. I would never get rid of the a8 for the M7 its just too much trouble.

Another reason were not using the dual clutch trans is because of the massive torque handling that would be required espec if modded like me.

My maggy 2.3 dual meth is running close to a 1000 horsepower and a8 handles the torque fine with near a 1000 pound feet of torque

Last edited by chevyfanatic; 09-08-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:02 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Why does your fun have to be LIMITED TO WOT pulls? What about just merging on the highway with some sort of urgency just to get up to speed?
You poor fellow! In your zeal to bash the A8, you're just making things up. The A8 will do what you described just fine.
Many are switching to a similar type of architecture, such as Mercedes AMG, and the latest BMW F90 M5. Educate yourself a little bit, rather than just whining so much.

Here's an article to get you started:
BMW M Boss Says High-Powered Automatics Will Even Kill Dual-Clutch Gearboxes

Last edited by Warp Factor; 09-08-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by chevyfanatic
Guys get your transmission tuned and quit bitching ..it will make a huge difference.

for one thing you won't have the fuel cut off that happens every time you shift . your shifts will Bang a lot harder like a dual clutch. I would never get rid of the a8 for the M7 its just too much trouble.

Another reason were not using the dual clutch trans is because of the massive torque handling that would be required espec if modded like me.

My maggy 2.3 dual meth is running close to a 1000 horsepower and a8 handles the torque fine with near a 1000 pound feet of torque
I wonder if that guy with the 1000hp c7 grand sport with the procharger is on this forum. His biggest complaint with that much power on the a8 was that he said the trans has a mind of his own lol. He lost almost every roll race because the trans didnt shift or it over revved then shifted lol. Not sure if he had it in luxury D or semi quick paddle lol

but at least someone admitted on partial throttle shifts. Its pathetic lol.

but I know. Why have fast shifts if you're not racing right? Lol tell that to Porsche and their pdk.

and also please post a video of your fast downshifts lol. I wanna see it. I never experienced it when I drove the a8. Nor have I seen it in person nor on video, anywhere. The fast downshifts is like finding a unicorn!! Lol
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

the A8 is an absolute POS compared to anything else on the market today! PERIOD!! It might be faster than a M7 on the 1/4, but still nowhere near fun as a M7!
Now, ask yourself, what is more fun, a bit faster on the 1/4, or a blast on the street everytime you hop in! i'll get a auto DCT when its a REAL one ! not another slush box!
I get it for a DD or someone who aren't physically able to drive a third pedals, but i'd rather be slower on the 1/4 and faster on 1/2 mile! I was hoping for a real more up to date tranny for the ZR1! Well, i guess its gonna have to wait till C8! In the mean time, rowing gears throught stick shift!
The following 2 users liked this post by timmyZ06:
Oneslackr (09-08-2018), Z0HS1CK (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 07:54 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

I wonder if that guy with the 1000hp c7 grand sport with the procharger is on this forum. His biggest complaint with that much power on the a8 was that he said the trans has a mind of his own lol. He lost almost every roll race because the trans didnt shift or it over revved then shifted lol. Not sure if he had it in luxury D or semi quick paddle lol

but at least someone admitted on partial throttle shifts. Its pathetic lol.

but I know. Why have fast shifts if you're not racing right? Lol tell that to Porsche and their pdk.

and also please post a video of your fast downshifts lol. I wanna see it. I never experienced it when I drove the a8. Nor have I seen it in person nor on video, anywhere. The fast downshifts is like finding a unicorn!! Lol
You dismiss the posters example of the A8 with 1000 hp? Which destroys any car your thinking of So you bring up 1 bad example is all you have? The tune was OBVIOUSLY very poor and that is a Grand sport they someone may have hacked an in stall who knows.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
the A8 is an absolute POS compared to anything else on the market today! PERIOD!! It might be faster than a M7 on the 1/4, but still nowhere near fun as a M7!
Now, ask yourself, what is more fun, a bit faster on the 1/4, or a blast on the street everytime you hop in! i'll get a auto DCT when its a REAL one ! not another slush box!
I get it for a DD or someone who aren't physically able to drive a third pedals, but i'd rather be slower on the 1/4 and faster on 1/2 mile! I was hoping for a real more up to date tranny for the ZR1! Well, i guess its gonna have to wait till C8! In the mean time, rowing gears throught stick shift!
The A8 and the M7 are both awesome choices. If I had to chose one it would be the M7 but I don't have to choose except which to drive and both cars are a blast when you start bumping the hp. Each purposely built!

Old 09-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I'm not gonna say it's a pos but it's a terrible trans for the car they put it in lol

too many flaws to justify owning one, imo.

if I wanted mostly a drag car I would have gotten the a8. Only good in the 1/4. Everything else it does poorly or at best, adequate.

it's a shame because the c7 platform is amazing and when the c8 comes out with the dual clutch everyone who gets it will have a superior trans and everyone who still owns the c7 a8 or are thinking about purchasing one will own something that doesnt meet the best of expectations.

its like saying hey I finished the marathon, but I placed 10th lol

why shoot for 10th place when you can be on the podium?

the a8 will never reach the podium lol
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not gonna say it's a pos but it's a terrible trans for the car they put it in lol
too many flaws to justify owning one, imo.

if I wanted mostly a drag car I would have gotten the a8. Only good in the 1/4. Everything else it does poorly or at best, adequate.
...it's a shame because the c7 platform is amazing and when the c8 comes out with the dual clutch everyone who gets it will have a superior trans and everyone who still owns the c7 a8 or are thinking about purchasing one will own something that doesnt meet the best of expectations.
...its like saying hey I finished the marathon, but I placed 10th lol
...why shoot for 10th place when you can be on the podium?
.....the a8 will never reach the podium lol
Since much of what you guys are saying isn't accurate, it looks like you just like to whine.
You could be more accurate and honest by simply saying that the M7 happens to be your personal preference.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:19 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

These guys chiming in about the A8 have no clue. Have no clue about the Z06 either other than they own one which you learn about the car after you mod your own. You find it holds a ton of power shifts very smooth. Then when you stoke up the power. Really nothing touches it! Nothing remotely comes close for the value you get. A8 Z06 with the 2300 runs 9.XX's all day at about 140mph .You can add meth injection and e fuels and go faster Plenty of examples of that combo. Nicd's car is 9.86 @ 142 at 6,000 ft or more DUDES that lays waste to any exotic The ZR1 is no tune so the Z06
and it ability to be tuned has 5 company's or more with blower kits.

Sorry but the A8 is a bad boy!
Old 09-08-2018, 09:25 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

LOL @ the DCT nutswingers. Properly tuned, the a8 is a bad ****. People bashing the unit when most of the issue is in the tuning (shift times, pressures, shift inertia, torque management and spark timing during a shift ALL play roles in how the a8 shifts AND how long it will live). If you leave it stock, you probably won’t like the a8, but if you have an m7 and it’s stock, you don’t get WOT until 3500rpm and about 23mph anyway (even though the pedal is to the floor) but you guys think ported/larger throttle bodies fix that (it does not).

John

Last edited by JHEBERT; 09-08-2018 at 09:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHEBERT:
3 Z06ZR1 (09-08-2018), Mikec7z (09-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To More miles on the A8 and?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

I love the choice of words to justify the closet understanding of inferiority lol.

"it does it just fine". Fine is adequate! Lol

comparing or even implying the a8 is as good or better than a dct and you sound like a fool lol.

everyone keeps saying tune this tune that, it does this just fine it does that just fine is only masking the issue people are trying to dodge. It's not a good trans!!! Lol

So now the argument is, let's tune the a8 so we can have a legit discussion lol

I love it!!! Haha
Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

comparing or even implying the a8 is as good or better than a dct and you sound like a fool lol.
LOL, it's you who pretends to know more than the BMW and Mercedes engineers.
The first production DCT was in the 2003 Volkswagen. What a proud heritage.
You have an amazing talent for pizzing up- wind, and not even realizing that you're all wet.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
LOL, it's you who pretends to know more than the BMW and Mercedes engineers.
The first production DCT was in the 2003 Volkswagen. What a proud heritage.
You have an amazing talent for pizzing up- wind, and not even realizing that you're all wet.
thanks for the Jalopnik article- it was an interesting read.

to be fair, it wasn’t the Mercedes engineers talking but the BMW M marketing guy talking about their beliefs.

When he said more or less MB decided long ago that automatics were more efficient that isn’t quite true. Not yet at least. The only real sports car in the MB lineup, the AMG GT, still uses the Speedshift 7-speed DCT. That one puts up decent track times from what I’ve seen.

Last edited by Parcival; 09-08-2018 at 11:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (09-08-2018)

Quick Reply: More miles on the A8 and?