C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

OCD oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default OCD oil level question

Just had the oil changed and this time, the dealership didn't seem to screw it up!

Had reservations after the initial 500 mile change problems (longer and amusing story) but went in with specific requests. Among these, they changed it and honored my request to put in 9 and give me the 10th. Came home and "properly" checked it (level, full operating temp and waited 8 minutes) and the level is in the cross-hatch area, maybe 1/4 the way up the cross hatch range.

As a rag-top, I don't track it and is a spirited daily driver so intend to leave it be to lessen the oil blow-by chances. My thought process is it's better to be where it's at instead of over-filled which was the case on the 500 mile change.

Yes, I concede this is polishing a cannonball here but OCD can be an awful thing so asking, if you'd top it up...

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 09-06-2018 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (05-01-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Just had the oil changed and this time, the dealership didn't seem to screw it up!

Had reservations after the initial 500 mile change problems (longer and amusing story) but went in with specific requests. Among these, they changed it and honored my request to put in 9 and give me the 10th. Came home and "properly" checked it (level, full operating temp and waited 8 minutes) and the level is in the cross-hatch area, maybe 1/4 the way up the cross hatch range.

As a rag-top, I don't track it and is a spirited daily driver so intend to leave it be to lessen the oil blow-by chances. My thought process is it's better to be where it's at instead of over-filled which was the case on the 500 mile change.

Yes, I concede this is polishing a cannonball here but OCD can be an awful thing so asking, if you'd top it up...

Allen
I wouldn't. There is no disadvantage to to running a dry-sump reservoir at the mid point on the dipstick, or a little low (still 8 quarts to draw on?), while the negative consequences of running it too high are widely known.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,143 Posts

I would think you're better off running the oil where the oil is in the middle of the cross hatch rather than to be over filled.

Although i remember back in my GTO days, "they said" for track or aggressive driving, add 1 quart of oil to an already "topped off" oil level.

I am assuming this is to compensate for the lateral G's the car/engine may undergo.

But because our cars come equipped with a dry sump, i think over filled does more harm than running your oil level in the middle of the cross hatch.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:43 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I would think you're better off running the oil where the oil is in the middle of the cross hatch rather than to be over filled.

Although i remember back in my GTO days, "they said" for track or aggressive driving, add 1 quart of oil to an already "topped off" oil level.

I am assuming this is to compensate for the lateral G's the car/engine may undergo.

But because our cars come equipped with a dry sump, i think over filled does more harm than running your oil level in the middle of the cross hatch.

This.

The dry sump makes it much more track ready so running it over is never a good idea even if it was back in the day with no dry sumps.
Z0HS1CK (09-08-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There is no harm in running the dry sump to the top dot on the dip stick. No negatives due to doing that. You don't get oil in the intake and the engine doesn't die or get a fever.

I follow GM's recommendation and run a half quart over at the track but don't take it out when I drive around town since I will be going back to the track. There are no negative circumstances to doing that. No oil consumption other than some at the track when the engine is operated at maximum manifold pressure for long periods of time.

The proper term is polishing a turd instead of a cannon ball.,

Bill
Mikec7z (05-01-2019)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
...The proper term is polishing a turd instead of a cannon ball.,

Bill
Hazard of almost 3 decades of Naval service...

Allen
Mikec7z (05-01-2019)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:15 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Had my last “free” oil change done at the local dealer and noticed when I was driving home there was an oil smell in the vent area. I checked the tank and the plastic tag had been twisted into the tank lid threads. Fixed that hoping it was the cause but to no avail. I then checked the oil (as describe in owner’s manual) and it was slightly above the crosshatched area. Checked it 15 minutes and still above. I did the next oil change and added 9 quarts then took to operating temp and then filled to ~ 1/4 below top of crosshatched area (took a little over a half quart), I haven’t noticed any oil smell since then! Even my wife said the oil smell was gone WITHOUT me asking her. I don’t track the car so not really worried about having the extra oil. Just some info for the group.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,143 Posts

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
This.

The dry sump makes it much more track ready so running it over is never a good idea even if it was back in the day with no dry sumps.
I agree.

I've seen first hand the result of even being a quart or 2 over. It's not good.

But i think the question is, or was, what about half a quart over?
HorsePowerObsessed (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

But i think the question is, or was, what about half a quart over?
Actually, it was more about roughly a half-quart under for a daily driver?

Still within the "cross-hatch" range on the dipstick but lower than "full"...

Allen
C7/Z06 Man (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
There is no disadvantage to to running a dry-sump reservoir at the mid point on the dipstick, or a little low (still 8 quarts to draw on?), while the negative consequences of running it too high are widely known.
DITTO.
I have found that running the oil level at the full mark AND running the car 'hard' (1/4 mile runs) I would find some oil in the plastic oil/vent lines but if I ran the oil level somewhat (approx. in the middle) below the full mark 'all' the plastic lines stayed dry.
Allen_B (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:42 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RobGZ06

When going to the track, I do try and get closer to the top of the hash marks, but certainly not over it. It can also be confusing for at least 2 reasons, one is the fact that it does read different hot or cold, and the other is that the total area of the hash marks is NOT a full quart, it's less, how much I'm not sure, but maybe closer to a pint...
Z0HS1CK (09-09-2018)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:59 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jcchevy

Had my last “free” oil change done at the local dealer and noticed when I was driving home there was an oil smell in the vent area. I checked the tank and the plastic tag had been twisted into the tank lid threads. Fixed that hoping it was the cause but to no avail. I then checked the oil (as describe in owner’s manual) and it was slightly above the crosshatched area. Checked it 15 minutes and still above. I did the next oil change and added 9 quarts then took to operating temp and then filled to ~ 1/4 below top of crosshatched area (took a little over a half quart), I haven’t noticed any oil smell since then! Even my wife said the oil smell was gone WITHOUT me asking her. I don’t track the car so not really worried about having the extra oil. Just some info for the group.
Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
DITTO.
I have found that running the oil level at the full mark AND running the car 'hard' (1/4 mile runs) I would find some oil in the plastic oil/vent lines but if I ran the oil level somewhat (approx. in the middle) below the full mark 'all' the plastic lines stayed dry.
C7/Z06 Man Which plastic oil/vent lines did you find the oil? like those dry sump lines in front of the cabin air filter? EDIT, you mean inside the line, and not around the lines, I need to read better!

Got my last free oil change from GM and checked the oil level it's at the top dot (max level) Checked after 5,8, and 12 min of shutting down the car and even at 12min it's still at the same spot! Over the top dot the dipstick curves and either I don't see any oil there or it's hard to see. Will check again the next time.

Anyways I wont' go to drag strip until Sept so hopefully by then engine will burn some oil and oil level will be less than top dot.

Wonder if there is any harm to the engine if oil level is at the max level and you run it at the drag strip? other than oil smell and oil in the plastic oil/vent lines.

Dealer didn't reset oil life monitor %, saw some oil spills near the fill area, guy didn't even bother to clean it up! I just put a tissue and it sucked it right up!! 2 drip lines too and I can't see the bottom , wonder if there are a lot there!!! Worried about if the guy torqued the drain plugs correctly but didn't see any leak under the car when I got home!!! Disappointed!!

Last edited by okaythen; 05-01-2019 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is no harm in running the dry sump to the top dot on the dip stick. No negatives due to doing that. You don't get oil in the intake and the engine doesn't die or get a fever.

I follow GM's recommendation and run a half quart over at the track but don't take it out when I drive around town since I will be going back to the track. There are no negative circumstances to doing that. No oil consumption other than some at the track when the engine is operated at maximum manifold pressure for long periods of time.

The proper term is polishing a turd instead of a cannon ball.,

Bill
I agree with Bill on this one... many reputable sources including Jason at Katech have indicated that they have managed to starve the main oil pump of oil on the z06 with the dry sump system...

this is because at max lateral G's and accelerations, the oil sump pan does not do a perfect job of forcing all the oil to the scavenger pump, some oil gets "hung up" if you will.

Well, i can assure you that if the system had 10 quarts instead of 8, then those extra 2 quarts would be over in the dry sump tank when this occurs, and then the main oil pump still has something to feed from. Granted, those who have had this oil starvation occur, were not running 8 quarts, they were running 9.5-10 from what I understand. So if it is a problem at "full capacity" its a problem with 8 quarts for longer periods of starvation and at lesser time durations of lateral G's

The only negative I know of overfilling is when the system is so full that it causes the pistons to hit the oil at the bottom of their rotational cycle when the car is cold start (and happens when car is parked on inclines) This of course bends rods, and causes catastrophic engine failure about 2000 miles later.

Otherwise, i don't know of any other negative (perhaps there are, but i'm not aware). I think Bill is absolutely right to be a half quart OVER on a track day, for the reasons he and I both described.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 05-01-2019 at 12:28 AM.
okaythen (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 01:25 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I agree with Bill on this one... many reputable sources including Jason at Katech have indicated that they have managed to starve the main oil pump of oil on the z06 with the dry sump system...

this is because at max lateral G's and accelerations, the oil sump pan does not do a perfect job of forcing all the oil to the scavenger pump, some oil gets "hung up" if you will.

Well, i can assure you that if the system had 10 quarts instead of 8, then those extra 2 quarts would be over in the dry sump tank when this occurs, and then the main oil pump still has something to feed from. Granted, those who have had this oil starvation occur, were not running 8 quarts, they were running 9.5-10 from what I understand. So if it is a problem at "full capacity" its a problem with 8 quarts for longer periods of starvation and at lesser time durations of lateral G's

The only negative I know of overfilling is when the system is so full that it causes the pistons to hit the oil at the bottom of their rotational cycle when the car is cold start (and happens when car is parked on inclines) This of course bends rods, and causes catastrophic engine failure about 2000 miles later.

Otherwise, i don't know of any other negative (perhaps there are, but i'm not aware). I think Bill is absolutely right to be a half quart OVER on a track day, for the reasons he and I both described.
What's up with people reporting oil smell while driving ,and oil inside dry sump plastic lines when oil level is at top dot max level? No big deal other than the smell and some oil ? Because I am at the top dot and just leave it should be ok? (Not HPDE just mostly weekend cruiser and sometimes drag strip fun)

Last edited by okaythen; 05-01-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Mikec7z (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 01:36 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

ill wait for others to chime in, but i think you are fine, perhaps I am wrong, only problem i knew about was the pistons hitting the oil when way too full.
okaythen (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen

Wonder if there is any harm to the engine if oil level is at the max level and you run it at the drag strip? other than oil smell and oil in the plastic oil/vent lines.

Dealer didn't reset oil life monitor %, saw some oil spills near the fill area, guy didn't even bother to clean it up! I just put a tissue and it sucked it right up!! 2 drip lines too and I can't see the bottom , wonder if there are a lot there!!! Worried about if the guy torqued the drain plugs correctly but didn't see any leak under the car when I got home!!! Disappointed!!
The Owner's Manual instructs owners to over fill by a half quart if taking the car on a Road Course. In a 20 minute session on a 3 mile road course the engine will see max rpm about 5 times per lap and about 60 times per session. We get 4 20 minute sessions per day so the engine gets wrung out about 240 times in a day. If the engine can take that kind of abuse with a half quart over fill (ABOVE the TOP DOT) it can handle a few drag runs per day with the oil filled to the top or even a little over.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Mikec7z (05-01-2019), okaythen (05-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To OCD oil level question

Quick Reply: OCD oil level question