C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Heat soak issue solutions... what's the consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:37 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Heat soak issue solutions... what's the consensus?

So what's the consensus on how to deal with the heat soak / over heating issues on the 2016? I've been searching threads and reading, and it's just a lot of information. I was hoping to see what the general consensus is for solving this issue.

Last edited by TxTaxman; 09-06-2018 at 10:33 PM. Reason: cuz I'm a dumbass that didn't know what I was asking.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

What do you consider the heat soak issue to be?

Bill
Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
What do you consider the heat soak issue to be?

Bill
The engine heat soaking and pulling timing when racing or doing back to back pulls.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Hotwire25
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the purpose of your car for autocross, road racing or...?

At any rate, just throw money at it.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:33 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotwire25
Is the purpose of your car for autocross, road racing or...?

At any rate, just throw money at it.
That's what we all do anyway. The purpose of my car is to have a little fun. I've always drag raced my cars just for fun, but I've thought about checking out the road courses a little too. My point of this question though is just to not waste money doing things wrong as I decide to mod. I had a fully built Mustang for years before I made the jump to the Z06, and I watched a lot of guys waste their money redoing things because they didn't begin with an end in mind. I'm just lining out what opinions are about the cooling issue and how to fix it, as I start to line out mods that I may want to do moving forward.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

If the intercooler isn't bled properly you can get power loss and misfires on the two rear cylinders. Even then the car is no slouch. I saw a drop in top speed on certain long straights of 10 to 12 mph when it started doing this (from 150 down to 138 mph). The problem was very sporadic and sometimes the power would drop on lap 3 but suddenly come back 14 miles later on lap 7. This year even though I was getting a lot of misfires I was still reducing lap times and turning times that are around 10 seconds less than I did with my C6Z (2:03 Vs 2:13).

If the intercooler is bled properly and the engine is running normally you can see a drop off in power over a day. When that happens top speeds may reduce by 5 or 6 mph (from 150 down to 144 mph). It looks like adding the DeWitts larger intercooler will improve that some. However, even NA cars will lose a couple miles per hour in top speed over the course of a day with increasing ambient temps. From what I have been told going with a 2017 or newer car gets you better intercooler cooling in the Supercharger due to the tilted bricks. This reduces charge air temp to the two rear cylinders which helps with all of the above.

The main problem with some of the cars especially the A8s is over heating not heat soak. Heat soak is a minor annoyance while over heating ruins your day. As long as you get an M7 that has the secondary radiator you shouldn't be too bad on coolant and oil temps as long as you limit runs to days when ambient temps don't go above the mid 90s. I run in temps up to the mid 90s with my 15 Z06 with the secondary radiator and don't see coolant temps over the mid 220s or oil temps over the mid 270s which are excellent temps.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
Mikec7z (09-07-2018), Z0HS1CK (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If the intercooler isn't bled properly you can get power loss and misfires on the two rear cylinders. Even then the car is no slouch. I saw a drop in top speed on certain long straights of 10 to 12 mph when it started doing this (from 150 down to 138 mph). The problem was very sporadic and sometimes the power would drop on lap 3 but suddenly come back 14 miles later on lap 7. This year even though I was getting a lot of misfires I was still reducing lap times and turning times that are around 10 seconds less than I did with my C6Z (2:03 Vs 2:13).

If the intercooler is bled properly and the engine is running normally you can see a drop off in power over a day. When that happens top speeds may reduce by 5 or 6 mph (from 150 down to 144 mph). It looks like adding the DeWitts larger intercooler will improve that some. However, even NA cars will lose a couple miles per hour in top speed over the course of a day with increasing ambient temps. From what I have been told going with a 2017 or newer car gets you better intercooler cooling in the Supercharger due to the tilted bricks. This reduces charge air temp to the two rear cylinders which helps with all of the above.

The main problem with some of the cars especially the A8s is over heating not heat soak. Heat soak is a minor annoyance while over heating ruins your day. As long as you get an M7 that has the secondary radiator you shouldn't be too bad on coolant and oil temps as long as you limit runs to days when ambient temps don't go above the mid 90s. I run in temps up to the mid 90s with my 15 Z06 with the secondary radiator and don't see coolant temps over the mid 220s or oil temps over the mid 270s which are excellent temps.

Bill
I guess I'm confused on the issue. I thought the issue was heat soaking caused by the blower. I have a 2016 with the A8, and I'm in Texas so I can't imagine a day with ambient temps under 90* lol. Can a secondary radiator be added to the A8 cars?

Thanks for clarifying. My question wasn't worded well.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM
BladeZ06
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTaxman
I guess I'm confused on the issue. I thought the issue was heat soaking caused by the blower. I have a 2016 with the A8, and I'm in Texas so I can't imagine a day with ambient temps under 90* lol. Can a secondary radiator be added to the A8 cars?

You cannot add a secondary rad to an A8 car. The trans cooler has taken the spot.

I have a 2016 A8 I have owned from new. I live in FL (yesterday it was 97 here). I drive my car often and harder than I should on the street. (Many runs past 140+) I owned a 2013 ZL1 before and noticed a major difference after a few pulls. My Z06 seems pretty consistent on the street and has never overheated. The car like any car is stronger in cooler weather.

If the car is running on the street you will end up in jail far sooner than overheating the car.

If you plan on running a road course you will need to either tweak your driving or add additional cooling which to do right is $$$.

https://store.katechengines.com/tikt...stem-p534.aspx <-- With this you can run all day long but wow is it expensive.

Even 2017+ autos will overheat on a track if pushed too hard. To ease you concern I attended Spring Mountain school in June. The car was a 2016 Z06 auto. I set the fastest laptimes of anyone in my class and never overheated. The trick was running manual mode and keeping the revs under 5.5K as much as possible.

For drag racing hot lapping to overheat would require no one around. I have never had a track empty enough for me to back to back without some time spent in the staging lanes.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

i think for what you are looking for you want more consistent blower cooling and aren’t getting the radiator coolant too hot. A cordes heat exchanger would be something worth looking into, I don’t want to add the extra expansion tank because it adds weight to the front end but that may be worth it for you too.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Here are some suggestions that vary in price and complexity.

Run the highest octane gas you can afford/find. This reduces/eliminates knock retard and keeps the timing from being pulled.

Read the threads by GSPEED.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solution.html

Gpeed also has solution that is similar to LG Motorsports-
https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...k-package.html

The larger Dewitt Radiator will probably not help much(and I added one to my 2016 Z06), but the relocated Oil Cooler by Dewitt does help.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3830564-dewitt-s-c7-z06-cooling-kit-our-results.html
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/corvette-aluminum-radiators/products/1139114m

The additional radiator for M7 Z06 is already on your car as the transmission cooler. This did significantly help my car but is not applicable to yours.
https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84309470.html

And the controversial piece is replacing the thermostat with a 177* unit and LMR billet thermostat housing. The drop in thermostats tend to fail, so I don't recommend them. So to run a regular LS thermostat you have to replace the housing.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-housing.html

Don't run a front license plate. Doooh.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 09-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

So what's the consensus on how to deal with the heat soak / over heating issues on the 2016? I've been searching threads and reading, and it's just a lot of information. I was hoping to see what the general consensus is for solving this issue.
LG Radiator and Bleed the system would be my first points of action. Road Course will require more but for pulls, I'd start with the the radiator. We're actually pretty close to you.

Feel free to give us a call at 972=429-1963

Thanks!

Dane
Mikec7z (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:20 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

LG Motorsport was the solution for tracking my Z06.
The following 4 users liked this post by 360Lemans:
cvp33 (09-07-2018), LagunaSecaZ06 (09-07-2018), Mikec7z (09-07-2018), Plstxmd (09-09-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
LG Motorsport was the solution for tracking my Z06.
Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
LG Radiator and Bleed the system would be my first points of action. Road Course will require more but for pulls, I'd start with the the radiator. We're actually pretty close to you.
Feel free to give us a call at 972=429-1963

Thanks!

Dane
Y'all are out in Anna?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Y'all are out in Anna?
Yes sir. Also building this if you decide to start tracking

Old 09-07-2018, 07:29 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Yes sir. Also building this if you decide to start tracking

That's crazy! One of my clients from the area was telling me about this the other day because I was talking about wanting to give road courses a shot. I have a lot of clients in the area. My office is actually based in Sanger.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

So what's the consensus.
consensus... on this forum?

Sorry guys, i had to
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikec7z:
cvp33 (09-08-2018), LagunaSecaZ06 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 PM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
consensus... on this forum?

Sorry guys, i had to
That's all forums.
Mikec7z (09-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Heat soak issue solutions... what's the consensus?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:42 PM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Heat soak

hello! I own a C6 base BUT. I read a lot on here! Heat soak? WeaponX has a HX cooler or something or something, freezer thing check into them! Might be more quarter mile than road course.........Ron
Old 09-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnpars
hello! I own a C6 base BUT. I read a lot on here! Heat soak? WeaponX has a HX cooler or something or something, freezer thing check into them! Might be more quarter mile than road course.........Ron
this seems like a good fix for the quarter mile gang. Simply turning the car off for 20 minutes seems to make a gihugic difference in performance the first couple of minutes after Re-starting. Then it just Peters out again after a couple of minutes of driving.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:36 AM
jlbjr
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Radiator

Can the new radiator be installed without removing the bumper?

Quick Reply: Heat soak issue solutions... what's the consensus?