C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rim cracked

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
king off the hill
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rim cracked

I was wondering if anyone is having issues with the tires blowing on the side and the rim cracking? I never went over a pot hole or hit anything it just blew.... The dealership wont cover it. Is there any existing issues with these tires or the rims cracking?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:51 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by king off the hill
I was wondering if anyone is having issues with the tires blowing on the side and the rim cracking? I never went over a pot hole or hit anything it just blew.... The dealership wont cover it. Is there any existing issues with these tires or the rims cracking?
Unfortunately this is a common problem with the OEM wheels and tires. See the thread below.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-wheels.html
Old 09-09-2018, 03:41 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Fight it get a meeting with the rep. Ask him or her when they check with Corvette plant if they haven't heard this 1000 times why you should pay for poor design or fatigued metal from an inferior vendor.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Fight it get a meeting with the rep. Ask him or her when they check with Corvette plant if they haven't heard this 1000 times why you should pay for poor design or fatigued metal from an inferior vendor.
The problem is the best you can get if you win the fight is another set of replacement OEM wheels which will just bend and crack again. As aggravating as it is, the best and only real fix is to bite the bullet and get a decent set of forged wheels. It's infuriating to all of us who've been victims but since there's no record of anybody getting killed because of these wheels, there's no incentive for GM to do anything about it. It's a shame, too, because the ZO6 in all other areas is the best bargain in the performance car market.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
The problem is the best you can get if you win the fight is another set of replacement OEM wheels which will just bend and crack again. As aggravating as it is, the best and only real fix is to bite the bullet and get a decent set of forged wheels. It's infuriating to all of us who've been victims but since there's no record of anybody getting killed because of these wheels, there's no incentive for GM to do anything about it. It's a shame, too, because the ZO6 in all other areas is the best bargain in the performance car market.

"bargain" for a reason.. lol
Old 09-09-2018, 09:36 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trevor90
"bargain" for a reason.. lol
Specify what you mean.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

What mode do you usually use when you drive? track mode? sport mode?
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by okaythen
What mode do you usually use when you drive? track mode? sport mode?
Tour or Eco. Sport or Track on run flats increases the chance of cracking the wheels
Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 PM
AED
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

25k miles, daily driver. Found my front right is cracked on the inside edge. It just started loosing air rapidly but the clue that something was wrong should have been that it was loosing air at the rate of two psi a month.I believe it started loosing air slowly when the dealer replaced the front tires a year ago.Having the rim welded - we will see how well that works...
Old 11-26-2018, 10:09 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AED
25k miles, daily driver. Found my front right is cracked on the inside edge. It just started loosing air rapidly but the clue that something was wrong should have been that it was loosing air at the rate of two psi a month.I believe it started loosing air slowly when the dealer replaced the front tires a year ago.Having the rim welded - we will see how well that works...
You can try to get it welded and it may work for awhile but they will crack again...and again...and again. I had one welded before I went to forged wheels and it's still holding air but it's not on the car being used so I have no idea how good the repair was.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

You haven't talked to the right person yet, work your way up the chain.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

You can try to get it welded and it may work for awhile but they will crack again...and again...and again. I had one welded before I went to forged wheels and it's still holding air but it's not on the car being used so I have no idea how good the repair was.
Where do you guys go to buy Z06 rims? Looking for rims and tires for drag racing. And if stock cracks later.

If you just drive normally and don't track it, and rim cracks under normal operation it's not covered under warranty right?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Where do you guys go to buy Z06 rims? Looking for rims and tires for drag racing. And if stock cracks later.

If you just drive normally and don't track it, and rim cracks under normal operation it's not covered under warranty right?
Depends on the dealer. A lot of them will cover it once or maybe twice but the real problem is that all you get is new OEM wheels which will crack even under normal usage. The only apparent real solution is to buy aftermarket forged wheels and for further insurance against problems, change to non run-flats like Continental or other Michelin's, etc. The cast OEM wheels and the hard-sided Mich RF's are a bad combination that leads to the wheel cracking problem. There are several vendors for different types of forged wheels that can run anywhere from $2k up to $8k. I think you find the best value from mono-block forged ones. They start around $4k from Signature (Deity Motorsports) or other forum vendors.
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:38 PM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Very common issue with the stock wheels. We have a variety of forged wheel options and have been doing Forgelines for several members so if anything we can assist with call or text me anytime at 440-915-6166

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 11-27-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

More common with the GS wheels than the Z06 wheels; however, it is well documented. I have a set of new Forgeline EX1s in stock in OEM 19x10 20x12 for a Z06 that can be finished in any color to get you going! 20lb weight savings and American made forged quality from Dayton, OH! If you're after another style, just let me know. We sell them all!

Our customers tend to get some good PR too

https://www.motoroso.com/forgeline/G...ock-EX1-Wheels

Juan Concepcion's Corvette ZR1 on Forgeline One Piece Forged Monoblock EX1 Wheels

Doesn’t every special girl deserve a little gold? Juan worked with the team at Weapon X Motorsports to equip his new Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 with these 19x10.5/20x12 Forgeline one piece forged monoblock EX1 wheels finished in Transparent Gold! See more at: https://forgeline.com/customer-gallery/juan-concepcion/

Last edited by Ben@WeaponX; 11-27-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Wow sounds like this happens A LOT. When I am near the end of warranty I will buy new set of rims and get rid of the stockers.

Took a quick skim and looks like rims will crack anywhere from 6k miles to 30k. I only drive on the weekends but I drag race and always left it in sport mode. I need to pay attention to the wheels I guess!

Run flat with forged rims no problem? or do you guys change to other tires

Last edited by okaythen; 11-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:16 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Wow sounds like this happens A LOT. When I am near the end of warranty I will buy new set of rims and get rid of the stockers.

Took a quick skim and looks like rims will crack anywhere from 6k miles to 30k. I only drive on the weekends but I drag race and always left it in sport mode. I need to pay attention to the wheels I guess!

Run flat with forged rims no problem? or do you guys change to other tires
If you're driving in sport mode on the street that will only make the cracks more likely. Use touring and adjust the exhaust and steering individually. If you have a 2014-16, you will also benefit from the MRC update which will cost you $350 but I think it's well worth it. In addition to better overall handling, it lessens somewhat the shock of road hazard impacts to the rims. I noticed a definite improvement when I had my '16 done a month ago. It takes a couple of hundred miles to get itself settled down but it's a good bargain.
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
BlueDevlZ06 (11-28-2018), okaythen (11-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Rim cracked

Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

If you're driving in sport mode on the street that will only make the cracks more likely. Use touring and adjust the exhaust and steering individually. If you have a 2014-16, you will also benefit from the MRC update which will cost you $350 but I think it's well worth it. In addition to better overall handling, it lessens somewhat the shock of road hazard impacts to the rims. I noticed a definite improvement when I had my '16 done a month ago. It takes a couple of hundred miles to get itself settled down but it's a good bargain.
Yeah going to do tour from now on. And almost forgot I can adjust exhaust and steering individually heh, messed with those when I got the car and never touched them again.

I have a 2017, but I think I can get the update as well? Heard a lot of good things about it but I only drive it on weekends so not many miles on it. Might sell it later, heard later if there are electronic problems the tool to diagnose it is really expensive and only dealers got it, so that's a headache when car gets older. So didn't get the MRC update and might get rid of it when the bumper to bumper warranty is up. But still got 1.5 years when that happens so I got some times to decide! Appreciate the reply though!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Yeah going to do tour from now on. And almost forgot I can adjust exhaust and steering individually heh, messed with those when I got the car and never touched them again.

I have a 2017, but I think I can get the update as well? Heard a lot of good things about it but I only drive it on weekends so not many miles on it. Might sell it later, heard later if there are electronic problems the tool to diagnose it is really expensive and only dealers got it, so that's a headache when car gets older. So didn't get the MRC update and might get rid of it when the bumper to bumper warranty is up. But still got 1.5 years when that happens so I got some times to decide! Appreciate the reply though!
I believe the '17's and newer already got the MRC update at the factory. Best to check with the dealer or on the forum to confirm that.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:26 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

thats how it will be fix, mine was shipped yesterday!

Quick Reply: Rim cracked