C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Caution: Extreme heartbreaking content!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 01:36 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
dont do it. sucks man, but next time stick to 1/4 mile. i would never do course racing my car next to a bunch of idiots.
lol. An old lady can take these cars down the 1/4. Especially with an auto. The car is built for the curves. Take it out an enjoy it. If I wanted a 1/4 mile Car I wouldn’t buy a Corvette.
The following 3 users liked this post by saleen556:
Ben@WeaponX (09-29-2018), jbsblownc5 (09-15-2018), Z0HS1CK (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
now I want to know how it happened.
Originally Posted by 2500 hd
Me too !!
Originally Posted by timmyZ06
All right i guess its not that big of deal!! Of course others folks might that advantage of what happened to me!
The more and more sounds like a diff issue who threw me in that freaking wall
Now I see OUCH! I came so close my self a few years back I left the line and somewhere in 3 rd she went sideways and I did not lift quick enough and was pointed at the wall so I wheeled hard and came around looked at the other wall and wheeled hard again catching it this time and rolled over the finish at 35 mph
When I got the time slip they said to the tower they want to talk. The guys up there said HOLY **** you were DONE! WAY TO hang with it and not wreck nice driving!

Just catching on what happened?

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 09-15-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
dont do it. sucks man, but next time stick to 1/4 mile. i would never do course racing my car next to a bunch of idiots.
Exactly a real test of your skills unlike playing bumper cars with a bunch of wannabes.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

The week

Last edited by timmyZ06; 10-11-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saleen556

lol. An old lady can take these cars down the 1/4. Especially with an auto. The car is built for the curves. Take it out an enjoy it. If I wanted a 1/4 mile Car I wouldn’t buy a Corvette.
First timer's wreak them quite a lot think again takes some skills to get off the gas when you spin might need to drive. 1/4 mile pass has danger with these cars!
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Damn!!! Sorry OP.

as a fellow arctic white z owner, this makes me really sad.

well any of our cars going through this makes me sad.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:54 AM
rflow306
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Nobody could had save this!!! something happened!! I saved numerous wreck already, have hundreds passes. This was different it brooke loose so violentely, car was floating and no response from steering or brakes!! Stabilitrac was still on also. Most think diff opened and all power went to one wheel.

If could just post the video!!!

https://youtu.be/NCCAgZuV-_4

That sucks man very sorry to see that happen. Glad you were not injured. The track looked like it had little to no prep.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 961 Likes on 498 Posts

That’s sucks. Glad your not injured and can tell the story. Car can be replaced. I do about 4 weekend track events a year and would never do one without track insurance. I have been toying with the idea of getting a c5 that I could afford to walk away from if stuffed into a wall. Because i only do 4 events a year do to work and family commitments i think i will just suck it up and purchase event insurance from RLI.
BTW, the car looked sweet with those rims.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Hate to see that. Sorry it happened. Sucks but at least you walked away!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:19 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry OP, Great looking Corvette!!!

This just happened last two month ZMax drag way. First pass of the day + cold cup tires no warm up!! Second gear full throttle unfortunately hit the wall. Driver was one of two in a line up of 20 Corvettes that stated he was an experienced drag racer. The crowd of Vett owners started blaming track prep/ drag way owners / GM for producing a Z06 that pulls hard right under full throttle on and on. It was unusually cold that morning and the driver said the car broke loose in a violent way! he had no control and the Z was like on ice!! I have witnessed this too many times on track days and it's usually cold cup tires first lap/run. It happens to the best of us, just ask Alex Zanardi.

Very sorry to see this happen to you, it's just the risk we all take for playing hard and pushing our Z to the max. Like most have said glad your ok. the Corvette can be replaced!!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:31 AM
LS3FORME
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Lemans
Sorry OP, Great looking Corvette!!!

This just happened last two month ZMax drag way. First pass of the day + cold cup tires no warm up!! Second gear full throttle unfortunately hit the wall. Driver was one of two in a line up of 20 Corvettes that stated he was an experienced drag racer. The crowd of Vett owners started blaming track prep/ drag way owners / GM for producing a Z06 that pulls hard right under full throttle on and on. It was unusually cold that morning and the driver said the car broke loose in a violent way! he had no control and the Z was like on ice!! I have witnessed this too many times on track days and it's usually cold cup tires first lap/run. It happens to the best of us, just ask Alex Zanardi.

Very sorry to see this happen to you, it's just the risk we all take for playing hard and pushing our Z to the max. Like most have said glad your ok. the Corvette can be replaced!!

This is a bad outcome but if you bring your car to the track you have to understand that shunts happen. That is why having a dedicated track car is better than using your street/show/driver/some time drag car at any track.

Cold tires, sand, water, oil, antifreeze, or just driver error happen.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

650lb ft of torque is insane for a sports car (imo). I wish these cars had 700hp with 550lb ft. Especially on factory tires. Something happened due to losing traction on your shift when you went back to full power. I don’t take my car to the 1/4 mile since insurance is much harder to get than track days. In my mind it’s a road course car not a drag racer and you are right something is up with these cars that sends them into the wall. I think it’s not lifting soon enough when there are traction issues but then the weight gets thrown forward lightening the rear end even more spinning it around. I don’t have any issues going full throttle into 2nd gear on the street when my tires are nice and hot, it just does a small burnout and then i pedal it til it hooks then back on the gas.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Nobody could had save this!!! something happened!! I saved numerous wreck already, have hundreds passes. This was different it brooke loose so violentely, car was floating and no response from steering or brakes!! Stabilitrac was still on also. Most think diff opened and all power went to one wheel.

If could just post the video!!!

https://youtu.be/NCCAgZuV-_4
I know you say so —- but did you leave the active handling on or did you have all nannies off. If the car is tuned maybe the tuner messed with something there he shouldn’t have.

That was a ranger recommendation over in the c6z forum maybe 8 years ago.

His advice was leave active handling full on but traction control off in normal handling mode which I guess would be tour mode on the c7z. This would cut power and pull the driver out of a bad situation I would think even if the diff sent power to one wheel.

timmy , sorry that had to happen to you. Good thing you didn’t hit the other car. Track insurance is probably good to have more for the liability if you hit other cars and injure people. Your max liability in this case is just your car which is 60 k. If you bent the frame and you want to walk away you can sell it as salvage for 20k. So max out of pocket is 20 or 30k. This could have been a much worse financial disaster.

My big concern taking miss piggy to the drag strip is some 22 year old grease monkey in his souped up 1989 Subaru wants to take out an old fart over 40 in his fancy new z06 and he is all exuberant coming off the starting line and 90 degree T-bones me driving miss piggy.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-15-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

I know you say so —- but did you leave the active handling on or did you have all nannies off. If the car is tuned maybe the tuner messed with something there he shouldn’t have.

That was a ranger recommendation over in the c6z forum maybe 8 years ago.

His advice was leave active handling full on but traction control off in normal handling mode which I guess would be tour mode on the c7z. This would cut power and pull the driver out of a bad situation I would think even if the diff sent power to one wheel.

timmy , sorry that had to happen to you. Good thing you didn’t hit the other car. Track insurance is probably good to have more for the liability if you hit other cars and injure people. Your max liability in this case is just your car which is 60 k. If you bent the frame and you want to walk away you can sell it as salvage for 20k. So max out of pocket is 20 or 30k. This could have been a much worse financial disaster.

My big concern taking miss piggy to the drag strip is some 22 year old grease monkey in his souped up 1989 Subaru wants to take out an old fart over 40 in his fancy new z06 and he is all exuberant coming off the starting line and 90 degree T-bones me driving miss piggy.
I would say 60k is low. He has a totaled 2018 he just got 3 months back. Plus maybe 10k in wheels! Plus all the money on the build. Very said to see this could be any of us!
Hope she is isn't totaled!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:11 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I would say 60k is low. He has a totaled 2018 he just got 3 months back. Plus maybe 10k in wheels! Plus all the money on the build. Very said to see this could be any of us!
Hope she is isn't totaled!
i didn’t know that. Thought it was 2016. Let’s hope the frame is not bent.

I was driving miss piggy today and not pushing it at all. I thought the electronic steering and drive by wire gas / accelerator felt delayed. Even adjusting the steering modes in the settings menu to all possibilities and cycling through the different setting modes of track sport and tour it seemed like a delay and not at all connected with the road.

I guess if your Randy Pobst or an amateur with experience like bill Dearborn or the guy Poor-sha that had the z06 and now a zr1 , you can shave a few tenths of second off at the track.

if I was just going to be doing 1/4 or half mile stuff I would be better off with an old F or even E body wirh upgraded suspension , brakes and a 572 crate motor. I have a friend with 69 Camaro set up like that and driving around it certainly was not as plush but also didn’t feel as wiggy as a c7z. Use the c7z to putt-putt to dinner out on Saturday night.

i can see me getting in trouble with miss piggy because 70 percent of the time it feels like a pig and you stay in it wanting more. 30percent of the time I think man this thing runs damn good. So that 70 percent when it’s running like a pig because the computers are holding it back and I am saying to myself come on miss piggy go faster and I am staying in it then the computer changes it mind unbeknownst to me in that micro millisecond you are in trouble. Especially with the tires they put on these cars that help poorsha and bill d. Shave a tenth of a second of their track time all warmed up properly.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-15-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My biggest fear at the drag strip.

Is there a strip with a wider road and no walls lol at least I can try to save it without having 3' to work with
Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

I was in tour mode traction off active handling on. Im telling you that dudnt helped at all!! Car was like on ice, tried to bring back the front but no traction at all. But im still "lucky" cuz frame is good and all motor/powetrain absolutely untouched. I already gather most of the parts and today the car was delivered to the body shop. Also was extremely cold low 60s, i warmed up good my pss, but i guess wasn't enough! Stock wheels going back since BC forged are shot!! But i can tell you this, BC Forged wheels are SOLIDS!!!
maybe the extra power overloaded the stability program. More then it could intelligently handle.it was keeping you straight for a while. Maybe it would be better without anything. And you could sense it before it is too late.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-15-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Caution: Extreme heartbreaking content!!!

Old 09-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Harbgrogan
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry this happened to you, makes me scared to go to the track again. After years of racing my C6 and GTP while having no accidents I know I am so due.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

The car sounded Strong. When you grabbed second it sounded like you had extreme wheel spin. It seemed to be hooking in first. You were probably at 75 to 85 mph when you turned towards the wall. The damage seems light considering.

this z06 did the same thing as it was in second gear. Yours sounds a lot stronger.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-15-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,142 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

I agree. It's been a while since I been to the strip but if you're not in the groove and you lose it say goodbye, very hard to not hit the wall since the lanes are narrow. At the road course at least theres more room to try to save it.

Quick Reply: Caution: Extreme heartbreaking content!!!