C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Torc converter shutter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Already done. So far so good.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Already done. So far so good.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 AM
GhostBluZ06
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

They'll also be additional issues. Not a 1 stop fix but the 99% majority is the formulation and or viscosity of the fluid.
was this towards my comment?
Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Idr.

my point was just like the full size trucks ( I have an 8spd Sierra as well) there are so many different things that can mimic the shudder that as soon as "we" sense something out of the ordinary "we" tend to lump them all together as the same issue when I fact the diff torque tube flexplats a hub bearing etc etc etc could actually be the cause of the malfunction.

when I listen to anyone condemn the 8-speed as a unit entirely I become defensive.

that's because it is not the unit that is flawed. It's a stout transmission far stronger than the 6-speed it replaced and better in every way.

It was the mistake of using the wrong type of fluid for the application (complicated beyond time and care at this point but it is ALL AFM related) and not picking up on it with all the thousands and tens of thousands of beta testing they did.

I don't know what these guys were doing but they weren't paying attention I don't care what they say because it's unmistakable and that goes for every single vehicle that have these 8 speeds put into them not just Corvette. Shame on them all.

then they compounded the issue but just indiscriminately swapping out torque converters like there was a bunch of bed torque converters and yes there were torque converters that had issues that would tearing seals but that was a minut amount we're in this issue every single 8-speed was affected because they used the wrong fluid..

but in the end this transmission with the right fluid and an undamaged stock torque converter is spectacular compared to every Auto trains that came before it in my opinion

the fact that these cars can run low nines on that stock transmission and stock converter is a testament to its design it's a shame it got a bad rap.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:14 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Idr.

my point was just like the full size trucks ( I have an 8spd Sierra as well) there are so many different things that can mimic the shudder that as soon as "we" sense something out of the ordinary "we" tend to lump them all together as the same issue when I fact the diff torque tube flexplats a hub bearing etc etc etc could actually be the cause of the malfunction.

when I listen to anyone condemn the 8-speed as a unit entirely I become defensive.

that's because it is not the unit that is flawed. It's a stout transmission far stronger than the 6-speed it replaced and better in every way.

It was the mistake of using the wrong type of fluid for the application (complicated beyond time and care at this point but it is ALL AFM related) and not picking up on it with all the thousands and tens of thousands of beta testing they did.

I don't know what these guys were doing but they weren't paying attention I don't care what they say because it's unmistakable and that goes for every single vehicle that have these 8 speeds put into them not just Corvette. Shame on them all.

then they compounded the issue but just indiscriminately swapping out torque converters like there was a bunch of bed torque converters and yes there were torque converters that had issues that would tearing seals but that was a minut amount we're in this issue every single 8-speed was affected because they used the wrong fluid..

but in the end this transmission with the right fluid and an undamaged stock torque converter is spectacular compared to every Auto trains that came before it in my opinion

the fact that these cars can run low nines on that stock transmission and stock converter is a testament to its design it's a shame it got a bad rap.
Your point seems very reasonable and I'm hoping replacing my damaged TC will make this go away for good on mine.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Unfortunately that's not true if there's already been damage. I have a Range module on mine and it works great but did not cure the pre-existing shudder problem even after the triple flush had been done. I do agree though that defeating the AFM from when the car is new would probably avoid the problem from developing.

My 2015 Z06 was built in the first week of the C7 Z06 in January 2015 with the A8. A few months after receiving it I started using it with the RANGE Defeater module as I noticed the fluttering. Replaced the Belt Tension and Belt with new one. I always drive with the Range ON............ZERO problems!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:59 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
My 2015 Z06 was built in the first week of the C7 Z06 in January 2015 with the A8. A few months after receiving it I started using it with the RANGE Defeater module as I noticed the fluttering. Replaced the Belt Tension and Belt with new one. I always drive with the Range ON............ZERO problems!
Sounds like you lucked out which is great. My suspicion is that the problem was caused by the oil viscosity in conjunction with the AFM system. My 2016 was built later in 2015 and got 6K on it before the problem showed up. By then it was too late...I use the Range module all the time since getting it a couple of months ago but for now it's like locking the barn door after the horse is out.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:54 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Ive noticed a bump into first when coming to a stop... its like the car kicks into first... had this since new. Windering if this flush will help
Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Ive noticed a bump into first when coming to a stop... its like the car kicks into first... had this since new. Windering if this flush will help
Yes, it will. That's the exact problem I had that got me to take it to the dealer, Auto downshift from 2nd to 1st came usually with a bang. The flush fixed that but the at speed shudder didn't go away
Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 PM
GhostBluZ06
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Yes, it will. That's the exact problem I had that got me to take it to the dealer, Auto downshift from 2nd to 1st came usually with a bang. The flush fixed that but the at speed shudder didn't go away
What is RANGE ON, AND AFM SYSTEM?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhostBluZ06
What is RANGE ON, AND AFM SYSTEM?
The AFM (Auto Fuel Management) is the on board computer program that shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising on a level road in the upper gears. The C7 only needs 16 hp to maintain 70 mph under those conditions so it is a gas saver. and generally you can't even tell when it switches back and forth from V4 to V8 mode but you can see it on the dash readout as a small green V4 or V8 light. A Range module is a plug in after market AFM defeater that plugs into the OBD plug under the dash on the left hand side in front of your leg. It doesn't alter any factory programming so it's not a danger to any warranty. It works fine but you might notice a little decrease in gas mileage if you do a lot of highway driving because you're always running the full V8 mode. Costs about $150.

Last edited by tertiumquid; 09-25-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: content addition
The following users liked this post:
GhostBluZ06 (09-25-2018)

Quick Reply: Torc converter shutter