C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Pluggzz
Hey...awesome. I have a blue one with black rims and NY plates, first time here as well...we just arrived. Do you have the auto or manual? Will look out for you on Monday.
manual. I am leaving tomorrow morning. Staying at the Watkins glen harbor hotel until Thursday. I’m pumped to drive this track but I’m also worried about overheating. Was at palmer 2 weeks ago, water 235 oil 265 and lost power, no warning lights on dash. Was told it was a knock sensor. They cleaned fuel system, injectors and throttle body. Updated ecm, changed all fluids. Mechanic recommend adding aux radiator so planing on that and larger radiator this winter although now I’m thinking about a zr1 or a gt3.

drove it hard in the heat today and so far so good

Last edited by Basil2000; 07-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000
manual. I am leaving tomorrow morning. Staying at the Watkins glen harbor hotel until Thursday. I’m pumped to drive this track but I’m also worried about overheating. Was at palmer 2 weeks ago, water 235 oil 265 and lost power, no warning lights on dash. Was told it was a knock sensor. They cleaned fuel system, injectors and throttle body. Updated ecm, changed all fluids. Mechanic recommend adding aux radiator so planing on that and larger radiator this winter although now I’m thinking about a zr1 or a gt3.

Do you think the intercooler pump shutdown? I would definitely do this new dewitts cooler either way.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:19 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 958 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum
Do you think the intercooler pump shutdown? I would definitely do this new dewitts cooler either way.
Didn’t think it was intercooler pump. There was a knock sensor code. Thinks it was possible dirty fuel injector exasperated by the engine being hot. I don’t think i will be pushing the car at the glen as i will be just trying to learn the line.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:48 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

So if I have the Cordes intercooler 2 3/4" core.... Earlier in this post you said you wouldnt expect it to fit with the TC/OC option...

BUT.... What about Cordes fitment with just the coolant option (32-C7Aux?)

Last edited by atljar; 07-13-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Pluggzz
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil2000

Cool, we are staying here also tonight through monday night...i shoulda stayed tuesday also but have to fly to MN the next day from JFK. Have a long drive home after Tuesdays sessions.

I had problems a few weeks or so back also...water got to 262 and it went into limp mode. Only got through 2 sessions before that happened, which really sucked because then was done for the day. Drove it a bit different this past monday with shifting earlier and not as much in general, which helped a lot in itself. Hopefully the additional cooler we installed this week will help even more.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:32 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by atljar
So if I have the Cordes intercooler 2 3/4" core.... Earlier in this post you said you wouldnt expect it to fit with the TC/OC option...

BUT.... What about Cordes fitment with just the coolant option (32-C7Aux?)
Same problem
The following users liked this post:
atljar (07-13-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Did my first test with the kit, today! In short, the coolant temps dropped by about 4-5 degrees F when compared against OEM AUX kit. As the next steps, I'm planning to open up the holes as suggested (but protected with grill mesh), and see if it helps. I'm hoping to test it out next Friday at RMP.

From my build thread:
Originally Posted by X25
Finally did my first testing with the DeWitts Aux Radiator. Below are my notes:

• OBD2 ambient temp reading is initially correct: The outside temp gauge shown on the entertainment system is not the ambient temp. Perhaps it's something related with the cabin temps? What I can read as ambient temp from OBD2 is correct, until the car starts getting heat soaked. More on this later.
  • First attempt with no holes: I did not drill any holes at the bottom for venting during this first test.
  • Short day: I stabilized at 237 degrees F coolant at 79 degrees F ambient, during my time right before lunch break. Considering afternoon would be even hotter, and I did not want to exceed 240 degrees F coolant, I cut the day short.
  • ORP climate: This track has inland climate. As such, the mornings usually start substantially cooler, and the temp variance throughout the day is significant. This gave me the opportunity to find and match two sessions from before the DeWitts aux rad, and after, with pretty much identical temps.

This is one of the sessions from today. Notice the ambient temp recorded during each lap stays at 79 degrees F for a while, but just as the coolant temps start to pick up as well, it starts creeping up all the way to 87 degrees. This reading is false. The sensor is right by the radiator ducting, and I presume as all the radiators get hot, the sensor gets heat soaked. By the way, this was my last session out before the lunch break, and I've decided to call it the day, since it stabilized at 237 degrees F, and the afternoon would be even hotter.

Since I let it go when it's about to exceed 240 degrees F coolant, I needed to find a lower ambient temp to compare before and after with more stabilized temps. This is a session from a pre-upgrade at the same track (but clock-wise and with R7 tires) with identical ambient temp. Max coolant temps have stabilized around 235 degrees F with 68 degrees F ambient. The lap times are a bit faster (with R7 tires), and average RPMs is about 100 higher.By the fourth lap, I'm at 232 degrees F.

This is from today. By fourth lap, I'm at 228 degrees, 4 degrees lower than before the upgrade in similar conditions.

Results and next steps:
  • Results with no vents: I've seen similar drops in different temps, too. In short, I see about 4-5 degrees of drop in temps after the upgrade.
  • Next test: At this point, I plan to cut the holes as shown in instructions, protect them with a screen, and see if it helps (and I think it will!).

I am thinking of attending a track day on next Friday to test it out.

Last edited by X25; 07-14-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Did my first test with the kit, today! In short, the coolant temps dropped by about 4-5 degrees F when compared against OEM AUX kit. As the next steps, I'm planning to open up the holes as suggested (but protected with grill mesh), and see if it helps. I'm hoping to test it out next Friday at

From my build thread:
When you drop the undertray,try and look from the back (with the front bolts attached) and see if the sides of the cooler are sealing up against the undertray.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:13 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Same problem
Any work arounds? I'm sure your intercooler is fantastic like all your products, but Cordes offers multiple inlet and exit fittings from the intercooler for unique and custom plumbing (ie 1" feeds for the bigger pumps out there)

Would you consider making your intercooler with something similar? Basically the hose fittings are all threaded and o ringed on the intercooler. You can swap them from factory push connects, to an, to barb etc etc. This is a very important feature to me, and I would guess others too
Old 07-14-2019, 11:54 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Any work arounds? I'm sure your intercooler is fantastic like all your products, but Cordes offers multiple inlet and exit fittings from the intercooler for unique and custom plumbing (ie 1" feeds for the bigger pumps out there)

Would you consider making your intercooler with something similar? Basically the hose fittings are all threaded and o ringed on the intercooler. You can swap them from factory push connects, to an, to barb etc etc. This is a very important feature to me, and I would guess others too
We could do that. I'd call in and talk with John about a custom version.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Wait... I can’t run a cordes heat exhanger with the 32-c7aux? Does it stick out too far or something?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:09 PM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Tom, I ordered my 32-TO last Saturday (July 6).
Any chance you could check and see when it will be shipped, please?
I'm not in a big rush... just curious.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 07-14-2019, 05:13 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Tom, I ordered my 32-TO last Saturday (July 6).
Any chance you could check and see when it will be shipped, please?
I'm not in a big rush... just curious.

Thanks,

Gary
They assembled the cores on Saturday and they will braze Monday. Should go out before the weeks end td
The following users liked this post:
NTMD8R (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

hope not haha. that's what makes my system so unique and no one else has ever done it that way on any platform to my knowledge.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
hope not haha. that's what makes my system so unique and no one else has ever done it that way on any platform to my knowledge.
Sorry Joe, wasnt trying to have someone copy your setup, wasnt my intent. I already have your heat exchanger and its awesome. Its just unfortunate to have to choose between retaining your exchanger, and or switching everything over to dewitts so that I can run their aux coolers. Right now Im on a factory pump, but plans are to soon go with the Stewart 1" setup so the flexibility is nice and desired

Last edited by atljar; 07-15-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Sorry Joe, wasnt trying to have someone copy your setup, wasnt my intent. I already have your heat exchanger and its awesome. Its just unfortunate to have to choose between retaining your exchanger, and or switching everything over to dewitts so that I can run their aux coolers. Right now Im on a factory pump, but plans are to soon go with the Stewart 1" setup so the flexibility is nice and desired
The problem is likely the metal baffle. The coolers will fit if moved slightly forward I'm sure. You can likely cutomize the baffle to fit. Or just cut part of it off. Or just make your own seal.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

From my build thread:
Originally Posted by X25
I added the vents for the aux rad, today:

Used this mesh made specifically for car grilles. It has 8x4mm openings.

I was able to flex the bottom covers down enough to make the holes without endangering the radiator core. I decided to use 7" from the tip of the deflector cover. The instructions manual sent with the kit asked for 4" off, and Tom's manual he's shared online asks for 6". Looks like 7" would be perfect with 2" diameter holes to cover the rear 1/4 of the cooler core, so that's where I did it. By the way, I wanted to check with latest instructions, but THE LINK TO INSTRUCTIONS AT DEWITTS.COM DOES NOT WORK!

Zip ties!

It looks nicer in person. I was not able to put the mesh inside, since the inside of the splitter support does not have a smooth interior.

Initial testing with the vents
I did the same test I did when I installed the aux rad, and went out to highway, driving 60-70 MPH at 5-6K RPM on second gear. Ambient was 2 degrees cooler than last time at ~68 degrees F. Last time, I hit 235 degrees F or so during my short highwat drive, but coolant stayed around 212. This time, the car did not exceed 226 degrees F oil, and coolant was around 208.

Later, on my way home, I kept it at 1st gear, hitting 5-6K 45-55 MPH on first gear. I waited until oil hit 250 degrees F, and coolant hit 216 degrees F. I think last time I hit 245 degrees F oil while coolant was 212 degrees F.

Anyhow, my hunch is that the vents will help for another 5-10 degrees at the track, which is all I'd want if it becomes reality. I intend to test it out at the track on Friday, at RMP.

Last edited by X25; 07-16-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system

Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

When they update a document the link changes. Just go to the main information page first, then the links work

Click Here
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Bullet Tooth
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
here is what i would do and it works way better.

upgraded radiator. Better than early years do 2019 Z06 radiator, next step Dewitts, than the absolute best is C&R.
for oil cooler do the prospeed and get it broken out of the path in the front bumper. That will have a huge advantage of putting yet another cooler in the front grill in the way.

This is BS and is low class. From this post alone, I would never use CPR.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:06 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

From my build thread:

Originally Posted by X25
I finally tested out the AUX cooler with vents.

Let's start by looking at the snapshots from logs:

It was a nice day today, at RMP. The temps during my sessions ranged from 66 to 73 degrees F ambient. Clouds also help since RR tires don't like too hot tarmac.

This is the first session. I tried to not have any cool-downs mid-session to ensure everything keeps boiling.

The following sessions saw higher temps, with 73 degrees being the max. Coolant temps settled at ~225-226 degrees F max.

... and this is the session from just two weeks ago, right before I installed the AUX radiator. The difference seems to be about 7 degrees. This is the impact from both new AUX cooler (which seems to have improved by ~4 degrees by itself) + vents. Cool!!

Remarks:
  • Improvement: So, there you have it; 7 degrees drop!
  • Ambient temps: Due to unusual summer we're having here, these tests were conducted at relatively low temps. I don't think it would be hard to imagine the gap would likely increase between OEM AUX and DeWitts' AUX with vents as the temps increase. I have a bit of data from 80-85 degrees. I'll see if I can come up with comparable data at those temps, too, in same tracks.
  • OEM AUX with vents?: This whole experiment also begs the question: how would stock AUX cooler fare if it had the same vents? Would it drop by a few degrees, too? This is not something I'll get to test, but I might convince one of my local friends with C7 GS to do so for testing : )

Next track day will be in Area 27 in Oliver, Canada on Aug 2nd. The current forecast is 88 degrees F, so if the temps stay high, it will be interesting to see how the car fares!

Last edited by X25; 07-20-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply: DeWitts TOC/EOC Combination system