C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Calling the experts: What would you pay?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,174 Posts

3LZ has nothing to do with CCBs. The lack of knowledge in relation to these cars in almost unfathomable. 45k for it? Lol ok.

the guy who paid 52k but mileage was higher? Not a believer unless it was 60k miles. They run through auction higher (no accidents clean title even with miies).

the car is a 60k car on trade all day long. It's the smoker part that cannot be undone without a complete tear down and replacing all the Alcantara materials carpet and other porous surfaces. I went through this on a "deal" before I understood what it was to have one. It w as a nightmare and on humid or damp days it was always present just muted. Every trick in the book is a coverup not a fix. I swore never again. And never have.. it even pushed me to start buying new. Is what it is

even if the family doesn't know it they won't let it go for cheap because people are telling them it's worth 60,000 old day long even on a trade so walk away and find another one that's plenty of people that have money and don't care about losing 5 10 grand on a car.

someone will pay their asking if you come in and low ball unless cash in hand..real cash, you have no shot under 60k. Imo. There's an *** for every seat.

and I dont understand why you want to torture yourself. That's a car for someone who doesnt give a sh**. Not an ocd type.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 09-24-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:46 AM
TxTaxman
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
3LZ has nothing to do with CCBs. The lack of knowledge in relation to these cars in almost unfathomable. 45k for it? Lol ok.

the guy who paid 52k but mileage was higher? Not a believer unless it was 60k miles. They run through auction higher (no accidents clean title even with miies).

the car is a 60k car on trade all day long. It's the smoker part that cannot be undone without a complete tear down and replacing all the Alcantara materials carpet and other porous surfaces. I went through this on a "deal" before I understood what it was to have one. It w as a nightmare and on humid or damp days it was always present just muted. Every trick in the book is a coverup not a fix. I swore never again. And never have.. it even pushed me to start buying new. Is what it is

It was a little over 50,000 miles and I paid $52,500 for it. And in that condition, he'd be an idiot to pay $60k for it. It's a sixty thousand dollar car in great condition, but not as it sits. I'm new to Vettes, but I spent a lot of time watching prices before I pulled the trigger on mine. There's plenty of inventory to go find a better deal in his budget, especially with his OCD issues, as you so wisely pointed out. lol
Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Can you tell us a little about YOUR car experience, mechanically, and repair-wise? It'd help. You're buying a very sophisticated car (in some/many respects) and seem to be going off of internet responses. That's all nice but in the end you're the owner and that means all repairs will be on you. If you've been reading this forum one caveat to the purchase date is the actual "in-service" date which may be different, and that is the date all warranties begin.*

The best that I can tell from your posts is that you haven't gotten the VIS report which is only from any GM dealer, the CarFax, the Autocheck, nor do you have someone who knows C7s very well and will put this car up on a lift and at your cost, go over the car. This is not your creampuff waiting for a new buyer.

If you ask me, regardless of your purchase price and warranties in place, this is going to cost you sometime, and probably sooner than later. And while it's good to be anonymous on the forum, you don't state where you live (which would help others to identify the following) and, the quality of dealers nearby or the related indie shops known to be good at working on Corvettes---both pieces of info would be invaluable---to you.

I wouldn't even suggest a value, let alone a price on this car until I have more info and a lot of inspection even with knowing it's low miles and purchased as now two years old.

Good luck.

* Note: the former owner must transfer over the warranty to the second owner. https://www.mtnviewchevy.com/are-che...-transferable/
Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The basic bumper to bumper 3yr 36k along with powertrain coverage goes with the car regardless of ownership. Extended warranties maybe transferable or redeemed by seller. Since this is an estate i would expect administrator will want the refund. GM will sell their extended warranty until car goes out of basic B2B. A multitude of companies will offer extended warranty after B2B expires.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,184 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
The basic bumper to bumper 3yr 36k along with powertrain coverage goes with the car regardless of ownership. Extended warranties maybe transferable or redeemed by seller. Since this is an estate i would expect administrator will want the refund. GM will sell their extended warranty until car goes out of basic B2B. A multitude of companies will offer extended warranty after B2B expires.
But i heard the 3yr 36k B2B warranty starts at the signing of purchase, NOT manufacturer date. Is that true?

Meaning if the car was built in march 2016 but it was sold in december 2016. Does that mean the B2B warranty expires in march or december of 2019?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

With GM the warranty starts on original sale or in service date." In service " would relate to dealer demonstrators or special event ( golf tournament, race festival pace cars...etc) So, if a dealer had a 17 sitting on the lot and sold it today the warranty B2B would start today and end 3 yrs or 36k from today.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM
405 Bald Eagles
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

AORoads, please take the time to read my posts, most of your questions have been answered. I'm positive the car has a year of warranty left. Also, factory warranties do not have to be transferred, they go with the car. Extended warranties do and even if this one has it, I'm sure the family is not giving it away. Either way I'm buying an extended warranty from Dennis if I get the car.

If you want to know about my car experience, which is not really relevant, I've been driving for over 30 years, doing maintenance on my vehicles for at least that long, nothing over the top but I did swap cams in my R32 3.2l VR6 (much harder than cam in block push-rod). I don't take any vehicles to dealers unless it's a warranty repair because like I said I'm OCD and I really only trust my self to take care of my cars. I have limited HPDE experience, about 10 days, just enough to get the itch and if you need my sign... I'm a Gemini.

I realize this would be the most sophisticated car I've ever owned and even though I like wrenching on cars, I'm getting an extended warranty to cover the electronics I can't fix and any catastrophic failures. I don't see me wanting to build the next 1000whp, cammed, e85, meth injected monster so I'm sure I'll have many years of worry free driving with GM's extended service plan. BTW - nothing wrong with those 1000hp Z06s, I love those too!

What this will ultimately come down to is price, or better said, value. I'm thinking if the family will settle for mid-low 50s, I'll own it. I know it's going to take some financial investment and a month or so of labor to bring it back to full glory but I like a challenge. If I do, I'll be sure to share my progress with the group. Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:18 PM
maiettar1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTaxman
Dude I wouldn't pay your top end budget for that car. I just bought a Shark Gray 2016 2LZ for 52K. Mileage was higher, but I didn't have to do anything to it to fix it. I'm thinking 45K top for it in that condition. You can get excellent Z's for $60K.

what was your mileage ?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 405 Bald Eagles
AORoads, please take the time to read my posts, most of your questions have been answered. I'm positive the car has a year of warranty left. Also, factory warranties do not have to be transferred, they go with the car. Extended warranties do and even if this one has it, I'm sure the family is not giving it away. Either way I'm buying an extended warranty from Dennis if I get the car.

If you want to know about my car experience, which is not really relevant, I've been driving for over 30 years, doing maintenance on my vehicles for at least that long, nothing over the top but I did swap cams in my R32 3.2l VR6 (much harder than cam in block push-rod). I don't take any vehicles to dealers unless it's a warranty repair because like I said I'm OCD and I really only trust my self to take care of my cars. I have limited HPDE experience, about 10 days, just enough to get the itch and if you need my sign... I'm a Gemini.

I realize this would be the most sophisticated car I've ever owned and even though I like wrenching on cars, I'm getting an extended warranty to cover the electronics I can't fix and any catastrophic failures. I don't see me wanting to build the next 1000whp, cammed, e85, meth injected monster so I'm sure I'll have many years of worry free driving with GM's extended service plan. BTW - nothing wrong with those 1000hp Z06s, I love those too!

What this will ultimately come down to is price, or better said, value. I'm thinking if the family will settle for mid-low 50s, I'll own it. I know it's going to take some financial investment and a month or so of labor to bring it back to full glory but I like a challenge. If I do, I'll be sure to share my progress with the group. Thanks to everyone for their advice!
Good to know. Good luck,
Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 AM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

If you get it, let us know how well you're able to get the tobacco smell out of it.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 AM
405 Bald Eagles
Heel & Toe

From the research I've done, there are not many successful options other than a sessions or treatments with an industrial strength ozone generator. There are tons of units on the market but here is one I'm looking at: https://www.jenesco.com/store.html#!/FM-14/p/52076548

Ozone generators are what fire restoration companies use to kill smoke odors and mold. I had a chance to look at the car again yesterday and on a scale of 1-10 of the worst smoke infested cars I've been in I would rate it a 3. The guy only drove it for a year and while it smells bad to a non-smoker, the guys running the auction (who smoked) said, "I don't smell anything". With good cleaning and an Ozone generator I think I can win that battle.

I should have a confirmation on my bid in the next 24hrs. My offer didn't meet the outrageous reserve but they are considering my bid. Finger's crossed.

Last edited by 405 Bald Eagles; 09-25-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added to the last paragraph.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:57 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Ozone generators are so so for car smoke odor. There are much better ones than your picture. Good luck with your bid.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:14 AM
405 Bald Eagles
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hope2
Ozone generators are so so for car smoke odor. There are much better ones than your picture. Good luck with your bid.
I'm open to suggestions for Ozone generators. If anyone has any experience with a specific brand please share.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:32 PM
405 Bald Eagles
Heel & Toe

To those interested on how this auction unfolded, here's where I ended up.

The auction had a starting bid of $47,500 and the first bid came in less than 24hrs before close at $50,000. I bid $50,501 and was the highest bidder at closing. Unfortunately the family had an unrealistic reserve at $68,000! Keep in mind, this doesn't include a buyer's fee of 5%, so essentially the reserve was $71,400.

The auction house has supposedly shared the highest bid with the family and I followed up with an email to the bidding manager stating I have additional room to negotiate. This was Tuesday and I haven't heard anything so I guess the family will keep dreaming for that sucker to pay $70k for their prized Z06. Good luck!

While inspecting the car Tuesday before the bidding closed, I found a Carmax appraisal in the glove box for $59,000 This quote was on February 22nd and didn't make note of the worn front tires but did mention the front end damage. I'm sure the family thinks this car is well worth $65k but I'd argue the used market is a much different place now that the ZR-1 is out and we are getting into winter where we know the sports car market is soft.

All was not lost though. The owner had two GM Z06 posters that I snagged for a good price. One will make it to the garage with the other car art as a motivator to find a nice 2016 Z06 soon.

Thanks to all for the advice and feedback. As my wise mother used to say, everything happens for a reason and I'm sure that will be realized when I find a nicer one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling the experts: What would you pay?