C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials

Looking for a street tire for my ZR1 M7. I figure I would ask here in the Z06 section as you all have the more experience. Looking for some straight line traction. The cup2's just can't take the power on the street. I'm looking for a Drag Radial with tread and similar size, that can work on the street also.
Has anyone tried these Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials P315/35R18?
Anyone have a recommendation.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Cobra2Z
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U
Looking for a street tire for my ZR1 M7. I figure I would ask here in the Z06 section as you all have the more experience. Looking for some straight line traction. The cup2's just can't take the power on the street. I'm looking for a Drag Radial with tread and similar size, that can work on the street also.
Hey Bob, first of all super jealous of your ZR1, what color is she?

Anyway on to your question, previously I had a cobra making 612hp/603tq to the wheel and Toyo R888s worked great on it, much better than the actual Nitto drag radial I had before (NT05R). Also, I had gotten caught in the rain a few times and had no problem traveling at normal speeds. The tread wear was extremely well, but not sure how long they would have lasted because I sold the car before the tires wore out. I want to say I had nearly 4k miles on them and not all easy miles for sure with plenty of tread life left. A lot of people rave about the R888 and for good reason. I just did put on R888Rs on the rear because they made the size I was looking for and the R888 didn’t. Only have a few hundred miles on them, but very happy with traction so far (stock Z06 other than AFE intake). I have read reviews that the R888Rs are not good in the rain, possibly due to the different tread pattern then that of the R888; however, both are rated as competion tires for dry/wet (whatever that means). However, it looks like the TQs have a pretty good tread pattern if you were to get caught in the rain. I looked up the size for R888s and they come in a 305 and 335 for an 18” wheel if you happen to look into those as well. Also, if I were you I would call Toyo and see if the TQs are the same rubber compound as the R888 use, and if so I can guarantee they’ll hook pretty darn good! Hopefully this is of some help to you, best of luck finding the right tire.

-Jason
Old 09-25-2018, 06:36 AM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

295/30x19 / 315/30 20 for Track and Street
Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I recently put the Toyo R888r tires on my Viper. Tremendous grip both in corners as well as for straight line acceleration. They are a little noisy but not too bad, especially if you have a louder than stock exhaust system. Great looking tires as well. The car actually drove more smoothly than it did with the Michelin Pilot SS's that had been on the car. May go with them for the Z when it needs tires.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cobra2Z

Hey Bob, first of all super jealous of your ZR1, what color is she?

Anyway on to your question, previously I had a cobra making 612hp/603tq to the wheel and Toyo R888s worked great on it, much better than the actual Nitto drag radial I had before (NT05R). Also, I had gotten caught in the rain a few times and had no problem traveling at normal speeds. The tread wear was extremely well, but not sure how long they would have lasted because I sold the car before the tires wore out. I want to say I had nearly 4k miles on them and not all easy miles for sure with plenty of tread life left. A lot of people rave about the R888 and for good reason. I just did put on R888Rs on the rear because they made the size I was looking for and the R888 didn’t. Only have a few hundred miles on them, but very happy with traction so far (stock Z06 other than AFE intake). I have read reviews that the R888Rs are not good in the rain, possibly due to the different tread pattern then that of the R888; however, both are rated as competion tires for dry/wet (whatever that means). However, it looks like the TQs have a pretty good tread pattern if you were to get caught in the rain. I looked up the size for R888s and they come in a 305 and 335 for an 18” wheel if you happen to look into those as well. Also, if I were you I would call Toyo and see if the TQs are the same rubber compound as the R888 use, and if so I can guarantee they’ll hook pretty darn good! Hopefully this is of some help to you, best of luck finding the right tire.

-Jason
Jason, thanks for the all the info. I will take your advice, call Toyo and talk to them about what I am looking for. Yes, I'm enjoying the ZR1, its touch red.
Bob
Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Originally Posted by capevettes
I recently put the Toyo R888r tires on my Viper. Tremendous grip both in corners as well as for straight line acceleration. They are a little noisy but not too bad, especially if you have a louder than stock exhaust system. Great looking tires as well. The car actually drove more smoothly than it did with the Michelin Pilot SS's that had been on the car. May go with them for the Z when it needs tires.

That's a good looking tire. Do you think on the street it will hold up to WOT in 1st gear on the ZR1?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

subscribed, I'm searching for best drag strip combo for my '17 Z06 A8.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:35 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

That's a good looking tire. Do you think on the street it will hold up to WOT in 1st gear on the ZR1?
Good question. No problem with the 1st gear pulls in the Viper but it doesn't have the kind of horsepower your car has. You will probably have to warm them up real good and kind of roll into the throttle.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:53 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

[I recently put the Toyo R888r tires on my Viper. Tremendous grip both in corners as well as for straight line acceleration. They are a little noisy but not too bad, especially if you have a louder than stock exhaust system. Great looking tires as well. The car actually drove more smoothly than it did with the Michelin Pilot SS's that had been on the car. May go with them for the Z when it needs tires.]

What wheels did you put theses on? I saw the 18" and the decal. I am assuming you are 18" on all corners. Looking for info as to why some go with 18s v 19s all the way around. Is it just looks or is there some other reason? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:05 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

For the best traction all things being 'equal' I would choose 18's; more side wall.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AZGASSER
[I recently put the Toyo R888r tires on my Viper. Tremendous grip both in corners as well as for straight line acceleration. They are a little noisy but not too bad, especially if you have a louder than stock exhaust system. Great looking tires as well. The car actually drove more smoothly than it did with the Michelin Pilot SS's that had been on the car. May go with them for the Z when it needs tires.]

What wheels did you put theses on? I saw the 18" and the decal. I am assuming you are 18" on all corners. Looking for info as to why some go with 18s v 19s all the way around. Is it just looks or is there some other reason? Thanks in advance.
My Viper is a Gen 2 GTS. Comes stock with 18 inch wheels.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Cobra2Z
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt they will hold up to a complete WOT in 1st gear pull as I spin in the Z06 with same tire. I put “doubt” because on an 18” wheel you will have a LITTLE more sidewall, but don’t believe it will be enough of an advantage to not break lose in first especially with I believe an additional 65 ft/lbs of torque you have and 105 more horsepower! With that said, I doubt there’s a dedicated drag tire out there that could stand up to that task especially without heating them up first.

-Jason

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials