C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

List your best and worst...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Best:
- Exceptional performance that is livable every day. The ergonomics just "fit" me, the creature comforts are all useable, and it can shift from a comfortable, almost docile grand touring car to beast with a quick twist on the ride select **** and a punch of the throttle.
- Stunning looks that while modern, pay homage to its predecessors (especially the C3 Stingray).

Worst:
- The paint QC is laughable on any post-70's car, much less one at this price point. This extends to the ones from the new paint plant, despite reported improvements.
- Tie, between the pathetic heated/ventilated seats (both modes are a joke) and the limited tire availability. I get the tires is a market driven thing and based on what tire manufacturers can sell but the seat heat/vent is squarely on GM.

Overall, the car is very comfortable, useable and a joy to drive. Mine is not a track car but is a near-daily driver which is what I wanted. Originally looking at the GS, I am glad Mike Furman was able to find my dream Z06 car instead to upgrade from a C6 convertible. As a convertible fan, I am thankful GM decided to offer a Z06 variant and the improvements to the top functions (i.e. shifting it on the move) was a huge plus I didn't list as it's limited to rag-top models but it's a nice touch.

So far (just shy of a year of ownership and 7500 miles) it has been easily the best car overall that I've owned, even with the ****ling paint frustrations. I know others have been less fortunate but I have been very pleased. I can honestly say I have had zero buyer's remorse, something I cannot say for other vehicles I've owned. It has proven to be an incredibly fun, comfortable and "usable" car that I wouldn't trade for anything on the market.

Allen
Old 09-28-2018, 05:58 PM
mickey3
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Tell me:

The 2 best things you love about your z06..
The 2 worst things you dislike or wish was different/improved..

Looking for actual owner comments

Thanks
Likes: CCB brakes - almost no dust. Huge power, sounds good in tunnels, totally reliable with over 11,000 miles and have not had even one issue - ok that's 4 things.
Dislikes: Wish it had 4.10 gears or even lower.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:09 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mjross
THE WORST...

BENT AND CRACKED FRICKIN WHEELS! For those of you that are not aware, the cheap *** wheels on the Z06 bend AND CRACK very easily. Do a search and you will see how many people are having problems with their wheels. In fact, if your Z all of a sudden does not feel right after hitting your typical pot hole, I’m betting it’s a bent and possibly cracked wheel. I’ve seen pictures on this forum where people had multiple cracks in their wheels already. We need to let Chevy know that this is not acceptable and the problem needs to be resolved before someone gets hurt. All you need is to have one of these wheels come apart at high speed and cause a tire to go.

Here’s what scares me, Chevy knows this is a problem and they still put these wheels on the Z06. They have had time to correct the problem but have done nothing, nothing! PROFIT OVER SAFETY!!!!

This is a seriously high performance vehicle. Chevy, you need to make sure that this vehicle is even MORE SAFE than you other vehicles. Sub par wheels on a super high performance vehicle is just plain wrong!
I don't own a c7 yet but this is in the back of my mind as something I think is completely crazy. There are more than enough people complaining about bent rims to warrant a design change to a sturdier design....

I am curious if the zr1 owners will suffer the same date as the c7z and c7gs owners with cracked rims.

Are the c7gs, c7z, and c7zr1 rims all the same size/offsets?

If I owned a c7gs or c7z, I wouldn't mind using c7zr1 rims instead and sell the stock ones before they crack

Did a lot of people have cracked rims with the c6zr1? I don't remember it being an issue

Last edited by mammoth713; 09-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:17 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't own a c7 yet but this is in the back of my mind as something I think is completely crazy. There are more than enough people complaining about bent rims to warrant a design change to a sturdier design...
I am not going to suggest this problem is overblown, but some of the problems are a nature of the beast with very wide wheels that have low profile ZP tires mounted to them. The problem is compounded by the roads in a lot of areas. I say that, conceding for me it is much more likely a matter of when (not if) it affects me too which is why I bought the add-on insurance. My wife's Impala (with 20" wheel option) has already had 2 wheels replaced thanks to hitting road crap in the DC area.

Bending/cracking a wheel is a very real concern I have too, but no more than with any other car we have (or have had) except maybe my truck...

Allen

Old 09-28-2018, 06:19 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Best:
Power
Handling

Worst:
Brake Dust
Lack Of Traction
Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Allen_B
I am not going to suggest this problem is overblown, but some of the problems are a nature of the beast with very wide wheels that have low profile ZP tires mounted to them. The problem is compounded by the roads in a lot of areas. I say that, conceding for me it is much more likely a matter of when (not if) it affects me too which is why I bought the add-on insurance. My wife's Impala (with 20" wheel option) has already had 2 wheels replaced thanks to hitting road crap in the DC area.

Bending/cracking a wheel is a very real concern I have too, but no more than with any other car we have (or have had) except maybe my truck...

Allen
Well like I said, I am interested to see if zr1 owners have less rim cracking issues. If the rims are the same size/offset then I'd consider buying those IMO. I like how they look too.

All the roads in USA suck. They have to design the rims to have at least some margin for rough roads; it seems like there are too many complaints for it to be a one off issue.. I usually like keeping my cars relatively stock, I would like an OEM rim that seemed less prone to cracking
Old 09-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Think about it this way. The OEM wheels cost more than most better quality, better looking, better offset wheels you can find from vendors on this site.

My suggestion is, don't think about it too hard. There is no downside from getting rid of the OEM wheels for a better quality other than the fact that you wanna keep your car "stock looking". But at a price, which is possible cracked/bent wheels.

I am anxiously waiting on my new set of wheels. I am babying the car until then even though nothing is wrong with my OEM wheels. I suspect i can sell my wheels later for about the same price as what i got my new wheels for. So there is no loss and only a gain.

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 09-28-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I have new 19 Z06 M7 2LZ ragtop

Love the look/design- Kid at gas station just commented that it looks like a very expensive Italian sports car- my response, yes and 1/4 of the price..................
Love the raw power and sound of engine especially with the top down
Love the way the car handles, I think this is the most meaningful improvement of the C7 Corvette
Love the comfort factor for a sports car- easy to drive and great seats

Don't love the GM electronics and some of the interior, especially since my daily is an Audi.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:14 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
Think about it this way. The OEM wheels cost more than most better quality, better looking, better offset wheels you can find from vendors on this site.

My suggestion is, don't think about it too hard. There is no downside from getting rid of the OEM wheels for a better quality other than the fact that you wanna keep your car "stock looking". But at a price, which is possible cracked/bent wheels.

I am anxiously waiting on my new set of wheels. I am babying the car until then even though nothing is wrong with my OEM wheels. I suspect i can sell my wheels later for about the same price as what i got my new wheels for. So there is no loss and only a gain.
Well I guess for my current and past cars, I have always had OEM rims largely because they were the highest quality for the price... But for the cost of the OEM c7z and c7zr1 rims, that trade space does change a little since even the OEM ones are pricey

What rims did you end up going with?
Old 09-29-2018, 06:29 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Well I guess for my current and past cars, I have always had OEM rims largely because they were the highest quality for the price... But for the cost of the OEM c7z and c7zr1 rims, that trade space does change a little since even the OEM ones are pricey

What rims did you end up going with?
I went with forgestars.

And i checked the pricing on what OEM wheels go for and they're like double what i paid for my forgestars. So i figure i can at least get the same amount for my OEM wheels so it'll be like an even trade. OEM wheels for aftermarket wheels. And i'll have a stronger, better looking, better offset wheel.

There's no loss.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:31 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

That it feels faster than my previous car, my Challenger Hellcat and sitting in cockpit type interior. Worrying about possible fragile wheels and no Supercharger whine.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cobra2Z
Like: Targa top, love the fact that I can basically turn the vehicle into a convertible when I want to and there is a designated place to securely store the top in the car. Super light top (I think 16lbs if I remember correctly) and easy to do by yourself.

The exhaust! Best stock exhaust I’ve ever heard and being able to change from stealth mode to track mode is awesome!

Dislike: Wish the car was lighter. Not sure how the C6ZR1 manages to be 33XX lbs while this car is 35XX. Still lower weight than a lot of cars out there I know, but just expected fhe car to get lighter if anything. Maybe I don’t understand all the added weight of the creature comforts I love so much.

Also wish they would have kept the C6ZR1 powerplant. Would have a bigger blower that you wouldn’t have to spin as fast for same amout of boost (less heat). I would have liked to see them bump of the compression still on the C6ZR1, lower the boost to
whatever they needed to in order to stay at 650hp. Then when we went to mod you could gain a ton from a pulley swap and do bolt ons to get to 800 rwhp like the C6ZR1.

Yes, I have a lot of C6ZR1 envy, just don’t envy the interior.

-Jason
You need to ride in a Convertible.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:37 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fishpick
Funny - I read it as - there's pretty much nothing wrong/ stuff to dislike with these cars so people are reaching to make 2 things "bad".
And - speaking for only myself - I have never seen so much dust from a performance pad anywhere - ever... ergo, why it seems so excessive...
A Hellcat is 2 times worse
Old 09-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Like best :
1. the seats - once in the seat very comfortable
2. torque from 2k rpm to 4K rpm. Chevy should make it an option for full size pickup trucks for buyers that don’t want diesel. Probably a great gasoline motor for the snowbird 5th wheel crowd. The LT5 would even be better for towing fhe extra big campers.
What is worst:
1. The lt4 - with its little supercharger it runs out of breath. In its stock form its a dog above 4500 rpm.
2. The Mickey Mouse dashboard which ties with the all the silly setting choices on active handling options. That’s a bunch of tom foolery BS. A marketing gimmick.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 09-29-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:59 AM
DAKING
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Agree

Originally Posted by capevettes
The two Best:
1. Power
2. Handling

Two worst:
1. Brake dust
2. The damage that occurs to the vent in front of the rear tires from the front tires throwing debris onto it.
agree! Especially the rear vent
Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Jsilvester81
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

handling/ CCB’s (lg drop spindles on z07 suspension with GM recalibration)

dislikes
Fit/finish out of an Aveo rental car
Roof creaks on occasion
Old 09-29-2018, 05:07 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Torque, and Styling

Dislike

Transparent top that doesn't keep heat out, at all.

Media center is retarded, always freezes.

Get notified of new replies

To List your best and worst...

Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

The Z06 and it aftermarket make it the king of sports cars in anywhere near it's price. ! 700 RWHP and 9 second slips @140. From the aftermarket with stock reliability
Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

What # offsets look better on the Z ?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:29 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I went with forgestars.

And i checked the pricing on what OEM wheels go for and they're like double what i paid for my forgestars. So i figure i can at least get the same amount for my OEM wheels so it'll be like an even trade. OEM wheels for aftermarket wheels. And i'll have a stronger, better looking, better offset wheel.

There's no loss.
OEM GM CUPS in black satin or gloss black or C7 Z06 wheels are 1299.1400 a set from the forum vendors. The forge stars must be running way cheap.

Quick Reply: List your best and worst...