C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZL1 for Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Ki

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Is that really what you read that I stated? I actually never stated anywhere at anytime anything about time slips. Obviously you exhibit a problem with some basic reading comprehension. So I will offer some assistance with sincere hopes that in conclusion you might be able to display some level of aptitude vs. fake news over a very simple question.

It's a top of the fast list.....how bad can it really be? One more time just for clarification and so that you don't have any more misunderstanding, I will simplify it for you. How bad can it be? To make it even easier for you so that you avoid being side tracked. I also never said that it was better than an A10, nor did I say it was the best transmission GM ever installed in a vehicle. I simply said, from a performance perspective in looking at them a top of the fast list, "how bad can it really be".

If you feel compelled to respond to my particular question. Just answer it without all the bs of introducing things that weren't asked? From a performance perspective in looking at the fast list...how bad can it really be?

If you don't agree or like the fast list as a performance measure than I'm not sure I can offer you any advice. Other than of course don't attempt to answer a question you are not prepared to answer.

peace
How bad can it really be? The answer depends on your expectations and what you compare it to. If you have the dreaded torque converter issue that many experience then it is pretty bad. If you expect it to shift quickly like a DCT when you use the paddles in manual mode then you will be disappointed. If you just like to leave it in auto mode, stomp on the gas to and try to turn in great 1/4 mile times then you may think it is pretty good. When it comes to auto transmissions right now it is a little annoying that the ZL1, 2019 Camaro SS, Ford Raptor and Mustang GTs all get the better A10 codeveloped by GM and Ford, while the C7 is stuck with the A8 since it won’t fit.

Having owned both, I choose the transmission that offers the most driving enjoyment in a sports cars and for me that is the Tremec M7. It may not make some fast list but it is reliable and fun, which is the whole point of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by falcon5619:
GS982 (10-07-2018), Z0HS1CK (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619

How bad can it really be? The answer depends on your expectations and what you compare it to. If you have the dreaded torque converter issue that many experience then it is pretty bad. If you expect it to shift quickly like a DCT when you use the paddles in manual mode then you will be disappointed. If you just like to leave it in auto mode, stomp on the gas to and try to turn in great 1/4 mile times then you may think it is pretty good. When it comes to auto transmissions right now it is a little annoying that the ZL1, 2019 Camaro SS, Ford Raptor and Mustang GTs all get the better A10 codeveloped by GM and Ford, while the C7 is stuck with the A8 since it won’t fit.

Having owned both, I choose the transmission that offers the most driving enjoyment in a sports cars and for me that is the Tremec M7. It may not make some fast list but it is reliable and fun, which is the whole point of the car.

:::mic drop:::

/thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Z0HS1CK:
falcon5619 (10-07-2018), GS982 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

I've had the usual problem wit the A8 torque converter issue but I think the A8 works fine for street use. I can't comment on track use but I've put mine through some pretty hairy mountain roads with crazy curves and the A8 performs just fine. As some posters have noted, the 2015-2017's can experience problems with the TC but that's due to the wrong fluid originally used. If it wasn't changed very early on, the likelihood of TC problems goes up. On balance, I think it's a decent tranny and a lot of the griping on the forum can give a prospective Z06 buyer a false impression that it's a bad buy. It's not; the ZO6 is a great car for the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
3 Z06ZR1 (11-12-2018), thelastday (10-07-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 AM
RonnieLS1
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by falcon5619

Totally 100% agree with this statement here.
The following 2 users liked this post by RonnieLS1:
GS982 (10-09-2018), Z0HS1CK (10-09-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I did it, and I agree with the guy who said you can't really compare them... Traded my 2018 ZL1 in for a 2019 3LZ with CCB. They're just not the same car at all. Camaro was "cool" - the Corvette is "special." I don't remotely miss the Camaro, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for best performance per dollar in that price range.

Happy to share my impressions with anyone trying to decide between the two. Perhaps the funniest one though: kids freakin love Corvettes - drive past a group of 3 or more and they'll start screaming at you...
The following users liked this post:
3 Z06ZR1 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by thelastday
Thinking about trading in my low miles Camaro ZL1 for a new Z06. My main concern is the A8 and some of the issues I've read about online. I really like the ZL1 A10, but kind of wish I had the Corvette styling. I have an A8 (the same model?) in a Yukon Denali, but I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

What do you guys think about the A8 in general? What other factors should I consider before trading or not?

EDIT: Should add this is for daily/weekend driving, not much into tracking yet.
The interior in the Zl1 is all over the place. I finally sat in one and I would say get the Z06. The dash I didn't like nor the seat heights, the high door panels.
Seemed like a odd interior.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:14 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
:::mic drop:::

/thread
Have you ever drove the A8 at all or more than a block or are using others comments? Or more a hater has to hate? Many have the A8 in the Z06 no issues and say it works good IGNORING those aren't we. I chose the M7 first but now have both because the A8 puts a crap stomp on the M7 off the line and in the 1/4 mile which it nice to have.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by thelastday
Well, I did it, and I agree with the guy who said you can't really compare them... Traded my 2018 ZL1 in for a 2019 3LZ with CCB. They're just not the same car at all. Camaro was "cool" - the Corvette is "special." I don't remotely miss the Camaro, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for best performance per dollar in that price range.

Happy to share my impressions with anyone trying to decide between the two. Perhaps the funniest one though: kids freakin love Corvettes - drive past a group of 3 or more and they'll start screaming at you...
Congrats!!
The following users liked this post:
thelastday (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 PM
3rdgrey
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Trade

I traded my 16 ZO6 in on an 18' ZL1 w all the bells and whistles. Wanted a 1le but kept getting all kinds of stories from uninformed dealers at the time. Anyway my ZL1 was a great car I drove anywhere (stores, home depot, etc). A10 was great too, but I wanted another vette. Had the ZL1 for 5mos. Back in a Z06 now. U have to do what ever makes you happy. I haven't noticed any transmission probs with this car. If something should happen I would prefer it to be catistropic as opposed to occassional or sporadic. The dealer would never be able to duplicate the prob under testing and the complaint would be pointless. Corvettes can be driven daily if you chose. Many do. Oh, I live in so. Fl. It's always hot. No corvette I've ever owned over heated/ ran hot. Most people who have them here I know don't have such issues either. There's quite a few at cars and coffee from time to time and rarely has anyone mentioned the cooling probs. I dont race either but sit in traffic in 95 degrees after 45min on the pike, and the variables are comparable in relation to heat generation/dispensation and the effects on the car.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 AM
chevy corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned 11 corvettes my first being a 1964 coupe, I just traded a 2017 ZL1 Camaro 10 Speed auto for a 2019 Sebring Orange Tintcoat Z06 with A8. Loved the 10 Speed auto but I am equally happy with the A8. I am only interested in straight line performance and the new 6 speed and 7 speed manuals are definitely not the good old T10 Borg Warner 4 Speeds you can't whip the gears like the 4 speeds. Every time you shift the auto picks up a little more ahead of you. But bottom line is no matter how good a Camaro is it will never be a Corvette. IMHO!
The following 2 users liked this post by chevy corvette:
BMadden (11-13-2018), thelastday (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:39 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

I can't envision any scenario where I would give up my Corvette for a Camaro. That's just not happening.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM
caliboi707
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both an 18 zl1 and a 16 c7z (M7). For a daily I love the zl1 mainly because of the 10 speed and it sounds great with a borla exhaust to me. But everything else I love the Z06 definitely gets more looks and also better trunk space. Also the interior and the bose sound system in the vette are better to me.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by caliboi707
I have both an 18 zl1 and a 16 c7z (M7). For a daily I love the zl1 mainly because of the 10 speed and it sounds great with a borla exhaust to me. But everything else I love the Z06 definitely gets more looks and also better trunk space. Also the interior and the bose sound system in the vette are better to me.
You're right - I do think the sound system is noticeably better in the Corvette.

Quick Reply: ZL1 for Z06?