C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:04 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
That would be great news jen. Did you get that info about a new wheel supplier from a good source?
I got it from the GM dealer...they ordered me 2 new ones and apparently the 2019s were not in open stock because they (GM) said they had to get them from the vendor. Well now it’s been 2 months and I messaged them the other day and I was told they changed vendors. So when I get them I’ll go and take pics of the part numbers and name on it. I’m just ready to drive my car without a vibration. They bent at 1000 miles and I have 6500 on it now. Lol I’m gonna need new tires soon. 🤷🏼*♀️
Old 10-13-2018, 01:09 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

This was the message I got from the GM dealership.

There is a vendor change and a part number change, have two old part number wheels at another dealer but would not recommend them because they bend easily.
No current update as to when new wheels will be shipped. Will update as soon as i find out something.
The following 2 users liked this post by jenfioreally:
Carvin (10-13-2018), X25 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by jenfioreally
This was the message I got from the GM dealership.

There is a vendor change and a part number change, have two old part number wheels at another dealer but would not recommend them because they bend easily.
No current update as to when new wheels will be shipped. Will update as soon as i find out something.
That's encouraging to know that GM had switched vendors. Please post up your experiences with your new wheels once you have them installed. Have you decided yet what tires you are going to put on? Also, which wheel did you replace? Was it the standard silver wheel that come on the Z06 or some other wheel that bent/broke? TIA.

Last edited by MMD; 10-13-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Which Forgeline wheels did you get, where, and how much?

Thanks
Contact Gerry at CW4L. The wheels aren't cheap but he gave me a great deal. He is a sponsor here but shoot him a PM/text.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
If I were bending them like you do I would try something too!
I pull the stock wheels right away and go for the cups that have been around since 2009 they have have no bending issues plus they are lighter than the stock z06 wheel.
I'm happy i don't have an issue with bending wheels and I drive across country. Leaving in the AM to go over 1500 miles
The Cups were considered as they would have def been a potential cost effective solution. I passed on them as I didn't find a finish I liked and wanted to avoid dumping a bunch of money into changing them. The style was just OK to me as well. I also figured that I may be setting a record with bending/cracking these wheels so it was a guarantee that I'd be the guy to have the same problem with the Cups. So like an idiot, I cracked open the pocketbook and spent more than planned haha.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD
That's encouraging to know that GM had switched vendors. Please post up your experiences with your new wheels once you have them installed. Have you decided yet what tires you are going to put on? Also, which wheel did you replace? Was it the standard silver wheel that come on the Z06 or some other wheel that bent/broke? TIA.

I’m sorry I should have elaborated and given a little more info.
I have a 2019 GS with OEM Crome rims.
When I took delivery (it was ordered for me) an I drove away from the dealership I realized I had 38#s in my tires. I didn’t even question it but hindsight I should have. When I took it in to have the 500 mile oil change at a closer dealership they lowered it. I got on the highway 2 days later and realized I had a shimmy. I asked why they lowered it and they said it had too much air and should be 30#s.
They lifted it and the two front rims were bent. 🤷🏼*♀️ Literally I knew when it had to happen because I cringed running over a rumble in the road doing maybe 30mph. It should never have bent two rims because it was not anything more than a buckled crease from the heat on the road.
I sure hope they match the back rims when they come in.
I’m guessing I’ll go back with the tires that came on it but I’ve got 6500 miles so it won’t be much longer til I need some.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:51 PM
JosephMingle
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
So after a healthy amount of reading, post viewing and image searching, I bit the bullet on some new Forgelines from CW4L. I will still get the stock wheels replaced under warranty but moving on to some USA forged metal made the most sense to me right now. The aftermarket warranty coverage will actually cover the new wheels/tires up to the OEM value so while I don't plan on hurting anything further, it's good to know I will have some coverage.

The Conti tires will likely get the nod for these and perhaps will use the rest of the MPSS for the occasional track days. I know they aren't the best tire but the grip was pretty decent once warmed up.
Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Talk to Khoa at Signature wheels. Get a forged set for around $4k and go to Continental's. This will solve your problem. Poor quality OEM wheels coupled with those hard walled run-flats are a disaster. Stop living with the constant aggravation, bite the money bullet if you can and start enjoying the car again.
I don't know how many folks are running on the Continental's but let me warn anyone considering them... they are absolutely terrible. I ordered them to replace the Sport Cups in the rear when the dealer replaced both my rear cracked rims figuring they might help me avoid cracked rims again. But about 40 miles into a 170 mile drive I hit the go peddle at 60 and snapped a quick lane change like I'm accustomed to doing and I thought the back end was going to come around. The tires, without a doubt, have ruined my GS handling precision. I'm just glad the front tires are on brack order so I can cancel them. Wasting $1,000 on tear tires is bad enough. I'm glad I didn't waste any more.

I guess I'm going to have to live with skateboard handling or flush $1k and then go find some good aftermarket rims. So disappointed...

Don't make the same mistake I did and think the Continentals are a good alternative because they aren't even close to the handling precision the Sport Cups deliver.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I’m sorry I should have elaborated and given a little more info.
I have a 2019 GS with OEM Crome rims.
When I took delivery (it was ordered for me) an I drove away from the dealership I realized I had 38#s in my tires. I didn’t even question it but hindsight I should have. When I took it in to have the 500 mile oil change at a closer dealership they lowered it. I got on the highway 2 days later and realized I had a shimmy. I asked why they lowered it and they said it had too much air and should be 30#s.
They lifted it and the two front rims were bent. 🤷🏼*♀️ Literally I knew when it had to happen because I cringed running over a rumble in the road doing maybe 30mph. It should never have bent two rims because it was not anything more than a buckled crease from the heat on the road.
I sure hope they match the back rims when they come in.
I’m guessing I’ll go back with the tires that came on it but I’ve got 6500 miles so it won’t be much longer til I need some.
Thanks Jen for clarifying. My GS will have similar wheels as yours. I thought a lot about this issue prior to ordering my GS which I pick up at the NCM next month. I have just resigned myself to believing the OEM wheels are not very good on the car. I figure anytime my wheels go bad I am just going to pull them off the car and go with aftermarket. I think spending money on insurance of keep replacing damaged wheels with new OEM wheels is a waste of time and money, I wanted the chrome wheels like yours but I decided not to spend the extras coin if they are just going to break. But after reading your post above you gave me hope that just maybe GM has got a handle on this problem. We'll have to wait and see and I'll reassess as time goes on and I gain more expereince with this car. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:56 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by JosephMingle
I don't know how many folks are running on the Continental's but let me warn anyone considering them... they are absolutely terrible. I ordered them to replace the Sport Cups in the rear when the dealer replaced both my rear cracked rims figuring they might help me avoid cracked rims again. But about 40 miles into a 170 mile drive I hit the go peddle at 60 and snapped a quick lane change like I'm accustomed to doing and I thought the back end was going to come around. The tires, without a doubt, have ruined my GS handling precision. I'm just glad the front tires are on brack order so I can cancel them. Wasting $1,000 on tear tires is bad enough. I'm glad I didn't waste any more.

I guess I'm going to have to live with skateboard handling or flush $1k and then go find some good aftermarket rims. So disappointed...

Don't make the same mistake I did and think the Continentals are a good alternative because they aren't even close to the handling precision the Sport Cups deliver.
I'm leaning back towards the MPSS for the new wheels. The runflat design and stiff sidewall won't be ideal for comfort but I never had an issue with ride quality anyway. Additional comfort is appealing but I'd rather not sacrifice performance even though I won't use it all the time. Hopefully the tires play nice with the Forgelines. I'm sure the guy installing the tires on the wheels will hate me... I found a nice shop local to me that specializes in performance wheels/tires so I'm not concerned. They have had no issue with doing the replacement wheel work so far.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:55 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

The OP made the right choice when he called us for new Forgeline Wheels!!!

We have Forgeline Forged wheels on special call or text us for the best American made Forged wheels using APP Forgings, the best around. Lots of wheels have claims but we stand behind our wheels 100%.

We have been the worlds leading Corvette aftermarket Vendor for 12 yrs so rest assured whatever you need we have you covered from Track Only sets to Street/Track Sets

Call or Text Gerry at 440-915-6166 ANYTIME

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Old 10-17-2018, 12:13 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD

Thanks Jen for clarifying. My GS will have similar wheels as yours. I thought a lot about this issue prior to ordering my GS which I pick up at the NCM next month. I have just resigned myself to believing the OEM wheels are not very good on the car. I figure anytime my wheels go bad I am just going to pull them off the car and go with aftermarket. I think spending money on insurance of keep replacing damaged wheels with new OEM wheels is a waste of time and money, I wanted the chrome wheels like yours but I decided not to spend the extras coin if they are just going to break. But after reading your post above you gave me hope that just maybe GM has got a handle on this problem. We'll have to wait and see and I'll reassess as time goes on and I gain more expereince with this car. Thanks for your inputs.
I have an appt for my second oil change tomorrow and guess what?!? I have a BACK tire now that’s losing air. If it’s the rim then that makes 3!!! And I’m calling GM because this is totally unfair since I am not driving the car like it’s made to be driven. Lol I’ve only gotten it to about 90 a few times. I’m not scared of it but being cautious until I know the feels of the car.
I’ll let ya know what they tell me tomorrow since we are still waiting on my front rims.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:49 AM
MMD
Safety Car

I have an appt for my second oil change tomorrow and guess what?!? I have a BACK tire now that’s losing air. If it’s the rim then that makes 3!!! And I’m calling GM because this is totally unfair since I am not driving the car like it’s made to be driven. Lol I’ve only gotten it to about 90 a few times. I’m not scared of it but being cautious until I know the feels of the car.
I’ll let ya know what they tell me tomorrow since we are still waiting on my front rims.
look forward to hearing your outcome. This shouldn't happen to anyone. Wish GM would finally address this issue with all owners. Best wishes. Got my fingers crossed.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:58 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Good luck and hopefully it's just a nail that can be patched rather easily. I considered bringing up my issues with GM but it will just be a waste of time and fall on deaf ears. I expect them to blame the NE roads (wouldn't be a wrong assumption...) and tell me to take it up with my local/state DOT.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
Good luck and hopefully it's just a nail that can be patched rather easily. I considered bringing up my issues with GM but it will just be a waste of time and fall on deaf ears. I expect them to blame the NE roads (wouldn't be a wrong assumption...) and tell me to take it up with my local/state DOT.
I got my foot in the door with another issue and make me mad enough and drain my pocketbook and I won’t stop til I get a response. 😡

This is not limited to a few people... looks like an ongoing problem and needs to be addressed.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:22 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

I got my foot in the door with another issue and make me mad enough and drain my pocketbook and I won’t stop til I get a response. 😡

This is not limited to a few people... looks like an ongoing problem and needs to be addressed.
I give you credit for trying and I'm sure you will receive a response. I just seeing it going as "We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your Corvette. Your satisfaction is important to us as a customer. We have reviewed your comment thoroughly and would suggest you contact your local DOT to address the issue with the road surfaces that may be compromising the performance of the cars wheels and tires."
Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM
DanG376
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ordered Crays Yesterday and filed a complaint with NHSTA

Just ordered a set of Crays for my 2017 Grand Sport I have had 5 bent rims out of 8. I bought an extra set from House of Wheels. The original set had 3 of the 4 bent so I had them straightened after I got my other set. I just put new tires and wheels on and 1700 miles later 2 bent front rims...GM will do nothing and they know its an issue...They say there is no data to back up the problem because folks use other means to get the problem taken care of...buying aftermarket of having them straightened.

There is another way to maybe get something done and that is to file a complaint with the NHTSA..... https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
If they get enough complaints they start an investigation...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Is this more of a Grand Sport issue than a Z06 issue?

seems to me that Z06 wheels have more attachment points to the outer rim of the wheel.

Would repro Z06 wheels be stronger than OEM Grand Sport wheels?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

seems to me that Z06 wheels have more attachment points to the outer rim of the wheel.

Thanks
No. The repro ZO6 Wheels are no better, maybe even worse unless you go to quality forged ones.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested

Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Thanks
Folks say the GS Cup wheels are stronger but I do not have any practical experience. The issue looks to be with the unsupported inner barrel, away from the spokes. My wheels never visually looked bent until you put them on a machine and say the "hop".

As mentioned, repro wheels are likely not going to be stronger but again, who really knows.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:12 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Looking forward to hearing part numbers! After that, we can see when cars started coming with the new design wheels by checking on them on cars that have just gotten delivered.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CW4L
The OP made the right choice when he called us for new Forgeline Wheels!!!

We have Forgeline Forged wheels on special call or text us for the best American made Forged wheels using APP Forgings, the best around. Lots of wheels have claims but we stand behind our wheels 100%.

We have been the worlds leading Corvette aftermarket Vendor for 12 yrs so rest assured whatever you need we have you covered from Track Only sets to Street/Track Sets

Call or Text Gerry at 440-915-6166 ANYTIME
seems like I am too stupid to know how to PM using mobile version of this site. Can you reach out to me at 4165614367? I'm interested in your wheels and need help as I can add wheel knowledge stupid to my resume.

Quick Reply: 6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested