C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Default 6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested

Yes you read that right. I am up to 6 bent wheels, (technically 5 bent, 1 cracked) with nearly 12k on the clock. Two I will own up to being a result of a highway pothole I couldn't avoid but the others do not make any reasonable sense. Tires have been deemed all good in every instance. I love the car but the wheels and NJ highways simply don't agree where I'm traveling on a daily basis.

Now thankfully I have a complete tire/wheel warranty so getting them swapped isn't an issue but the hassle and down time isn't ideal. There is minimal cost for labor on my end but again, this is getting annoying. I have a couple other sports cars with similar low profile tires and forged wheels having no issue with the same travel route. I know suspension, type of tire and the car itself will make a difference but simply put, the Vette is the problem child haha .

After speaking with my warranty company, they will cover a set of aftermarket wheels and tires up to the value of the OEM equipment so long as proof of the new setups cost supports it. They value the OEM wheel at about $600 per.

So I'm thinking that it's time to go for a stronger wheel so I can enjoy the car more.

Here is where I need help. I will do my own searching but what are the popular wheel setups for this car that won't be as cheap as the OEM but aren't the $6k+ set. Although I love many styles in that $6k+ price range, I don't know if I want to go up that way just yet.

I'd prefer to stick with OEM size tires and fitment but open to alternatives. My car doesn't have the carbon brakes so that should give me some flexibility. I do track the car a few times a year (road course, drag race, auto x) so again, maybe that helps with options.

Let me know what you got!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,201 Likes on 2,144 Posts

I just ordered a set of forgestars only because i have been reading all the horror stories about bent or cracked wheels.

And because the OEM wheels have the WORST offsets, it was a no brainer in spending the money and going with a stronger, better offset wheel.

I know this is a long shot but i'll be selling my perfect condition OEM wheels in about a month. I'm in NNJ too lol

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 10-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:00 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I just ordered a set of forgestars only because i have been reading all the horror stories about bent or cracked wheels.

And because the OEM wheels have the WORST offsets, it was a no brainer in spending the money and going with a stronger, better offset wheel.

I know this is a long shot but i'll be selling my perfect condition OEM wheels in about a month. I'm in NNJ too lol
What Forgestars did you go with and do you mind sharing how much they cost? I appreciate the offer for some perfect OEM wheels but I'm moving on.
The following users liked this post:
Too-Fast (10-11-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I would say if you are bending wheels like that. The more expensive wheel will be harder to replace for some reason people think the expensive ones won't bend.
I have owned over 15 sets of wheels from HRE to Finspeed and the only one I ever could complain about because it bent was a Finspeed not the other dozen or so sets of stock wheels.
33k all most all on the GM cups. over 6k on another set of Cups no bending here.
thewb (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
What Forgestars did you go with and do you mind sharing how much they cost? I appreciate the offer for some perfect OEM wheels but I'm moving on.
I "think" i might be the only C7Z with the type of wheel and finish as the one i got so i don't want to say it yet until i post the pics lol.

But they weren't expensive at all. Think of it this way. All 4 wheels are about the same cost as what 4 brand new PSS tires go for.

No they're not super high quality and expensive like HRE or signature but anything is better than OEM. And with 11k on my car, i am very lucky i don't have any bent or cracked wheels. And i live in jersey so the roads are crap. But i'm very very careful on how i drive and where i go to drive my car since it's a weekend car.

When i get them on, maybe we'll meet up for a cruise before winter hits. Then you can see them in person.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

I "think" i might be the only C7Z with the type of wheel and finish as the one i got so i don't want to say it yet until i post the pics lol.

But they weren't expensive at all. Think of it this way. All 4 wheels are about the same cost as what 4 brand new PSS tires go for.

No they're not super high quality and expensive like HRE or signature but anything is better than OEM. And with 11k on my car, i am very lucky i don't have any bent or cracked wheels. And i live in jersey so the roads are crap. But i'm very very careful on how i drive and where i go to drive my car since it's a weekend car.

When i get them on, maybe we'll meet up for a cruise before winter hits. Then you can see them in person.
Looking forward to seeing the car when you get them on. I consider the car my three season daily but it should go down the highway like most other cars. If I was driving down times square at 70mph smacking potholes, shame on me but aside from the one pothole I couldn't avoid, the rest really don't make sense.

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I would say if you are bending wheels like that. The more expensive wheel will be harder to replace for some reason people think the expensive ones won't bend.
I have owned over 15 sets of wheels from HRE to Finspeed and the only one I ever could complain about because it bent was a Finspeed not the other dozen or so sets of stock wheels.
33k all most all on the GM cups. over 6k on another set of Cups no bending here.
I don't expect the expensive forged stuff to be indestructible but certainly better than what I have. It's clear my commute and the OEM wheels do not agree. I travel mostly highway and consider myself a careful driver to watch the road ahead and avoid issues. They have repaired parts of the highway but the asphalt is raised in various lanes effectively creating a mini speed bump (not really but it's definitely not level). I could probably figure out a lane path to avoid all of these patches of road work but in morning/pm traffic, it's not feasible. My other cars with the same aspect ratio tire and forged wheels have zero issues driving down these same roads. Again, I know other factors exist but that's all I can go on.

Sounds like the Cups are a good option to consider. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:49 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

jersey sucks ***. i'm sorry
Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

No need to fear... HRE Performance Wheels is here

Sorry I know that's cheesy. Here to help though if anyone wants to get rid of their OE wheels and into something that doesn't break after sneezing on them.

thewb (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:25 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by trevor90
In many ways yes but it is what it is. Your contribution to the thread and question at hand has been invaluable. Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
No need to fear... HRE Performance Wheels is here

Sorry I know that's cheesy. Here to help though if anyone wants to get rid of their OE wheels and into something that doesn't break after sneezing on them.

Haha. I have a HRE dealer around the corner from me... I probably should be careful how long I chat with them.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:33 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
Haha. I have a HRE dealer around the corner from me... I probably should be careful how long I chat with them.
Haha! Depending on which dealer this is, you could end up accidentally ordering a set of wheels without knowing it, some of these guys are real good.

If you need any help though please don't hesitate to reach out, I'm always happy to help answer questions or guide you to the right wheels if you're unsure which to pick.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by trevor90
It does. I can't wait to move out of here, hopefully in 10 years when i sell my house and finish up some things.

But you don't have it any better.

I rather bend some wheels on my car than to possibly lose my entire house and cars due to hurricanes

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 10-04-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

It does. I can't wait to move out of here, hopefully in 10 years when i sell my house and finish up some things.

But you don't have it any better.

I rather bend some wheels on my car than to possibly lose my entire house and cars due to hurricanes

touche'
Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Talk to Khoa at Signature wheels. Get a forged set for around $4k and go to Continental's. This will solve your problem. Poor quality OEM wheels coupled with those hard walled run-flats are a disaster. Stop living with the constant aggravation, bite the money bullet if you can and start enjoying the car again.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:42 AM
Silvah Goat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I just drove the length of NJ in my C7Z...the roads and all the construction made me cringe the entire time! NYC wasn't any better.

Last edited by Silvah Goat; 10-05-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Z0HS1CK (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
Talk to Khoa at Signature wheels. Get a forged set for around $4k and go to Continental's. This will solve your problem. Poor quality OEM wheels coupled with those hard walled run-flats are a disaster. Stop living with the constant aggravation, bite the money bullet if you can and start enjoying the car again.
Thanks. I'll look into them. I'm not entirely adverse to splurging a bit for something I absolutely love and it's usually how these things go. "I'll try not to go nuts....OK what options are there....might as well"
Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Forgeline Wheels
Have them on my Z06, ZR1 and Turbo S, super strong and low weight, and a great company to deal with
The following 2 users liked this post by hcvone:
blackbirdws6 (10-05-2018), CW4L (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:40 AM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
Forgeline Wheels
Have them on my Z06, ZR1 and Turbo S, super strong and low weight, and a great company to deal with
I second this alot more than stock cast wheels but one of the best American made Forged wheels around. Lots of options including HRE as well but can get pricey but we havent had a cracked wheel and alot of ours are made for the track and high stress situations. I know you want to stay around 3k but for a bit more I can get you into a worryfree setup. Call or text anytime 440-915-6166

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

blackbirdws6 (10-05-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested

Old 10-05-2018, 03:10 PM
thewb
Supporting Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again, an american icon like the Chevrolet Corvette deserves wheels that are made here in the U.S.A.

HRE and Forgeline are your answer.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

[QUOTE=thewb;1598107731]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, an american icon like the Chevrolet Corvette deserves wheels that are made here in the U.S.A.

HRE and Forgeline are your answer.
[/QUOTE

are there models of HRE or Forgeline wheels which look close to the OEM GS wheels?

Are the repro Z06 wheels stronger than he OEM GS wheels?
Old 10-06-2018, 10:58 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

BC Forged is lightyears better than **** cast oem wheels and rotarycast like forgestar! I will say that even though they pissed off after my wreck and my need for a single wheel!! FU BC!!! but the fact remain, wheels are great!!

Quick Reply: 6 Bent OEM wheels, time for a change - help requested