C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2018 with bent rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Default 2018 with bent rims

Was having tires swapped on a rear rim & the tech had me look at the wheel on the balancer. It was visibly out of round.

The car is still under warranty & there is no visible damage.

As an instructor, the car does see a lot of track time, but I am fairly easy on curbing.

Has anyone had their rims replaced under warranty?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:59 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow. I have heard of others complaining about how soft the OEM wheels are and how easy they bend. Not good to hear as a new owner. How would you know if you bend a wheel unless some one was balancing it?
Old 10-06-2018, 05:57 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,141 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Wow. I have heard of others complaining about how soft the OEM wheels are and how easy they bend. Not good to hear as a new owner. How would you know if you bend a wheel unless some one was balancing it?
Well if you have a bent wheel you'll know, because i assume the car will run funny and/or have vibration.

Then when you take the car in to get the vibration checked out, meaning probably having your wheels rebalanced to see if it's off, the person doing the balancing will find out if they're bent.

But if your wheels are cracked, then you'll end up losing air pressure.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:38 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Newton06
Was having tires swapped on a rear rim & the tech had me look at the wheel on the balancer. It was visibly out of round.

The car is still under warranty & there is no visible damage.

As an instructor, the car does see a lot of track time, but I am fairly easy on curbing.

Has anyone had their rims replaced under warranty?

Thanks.
You can usually get them replaced at least one time but all you get is a new OEM that will bend or crack again. The problem is the combination of the very stiff run-flat sidewall mated to a poor quality cast offshore wheel. Hit a good road crack or pothole that you may not even remember or notice and you've got a bent or cracked rim because the shock transmits directly to the wheel. I had one that was ovalled enough that it felt like a lump on the tire. Eventually you could actually see the corresponding high spot had more wear than the rest of the tire. Not all cracks will cause leaks, it's only when the crack, which starts at the barrel edge and works far enough into to barrel, that the leak occurs. My solution was to switch to forged wheels and Continental non run flats. That fixed the problem and the car rides and drives like it should for street use. I don't track so I can't comment on the Conti's in that regard. If you're tracking your best bet is high quality forged wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HS1CK (10-06-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

For anyone who has experienced a Bent or Cracked Wheel, suggest you report to NHTSA.

Link Below:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...afety-adm.html

Get notified of new replies

To 2018 with bent rims

Quick Reply: 2018 with bent rims