C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Can You Get Traction Off the Line in Your Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Can You Get Traction Off the Line in Your Z06?

Hi, might be a strange question, but I'm asking anyway. Can you guys get traction off the line in your Z06?

I had a Manual C6 Grand Sport with crap Good Year Eagle F1's on it. It was my first Corvette and I loved it, but I got so frustrated with the lack of traction I finally sold it. I don't street race at all, but I got sick of Subaru BRZs and Buicks leaving me at stop lights because my tires were spinning. Maybe I'm a lousy driver, but the lack of traction really ruined it for me. I'm 54 and I've driven sports cars all my life, but none with as much low end torque as the Vette. Was it me, the tires, or a combination?

Trying to decide on my next car, I love Corvettes and the C7 Z06 is absolutely beautiful, but I'm afraid I'll feel the same way. I watched a C7 ZR1 video and the owner was talking about having no traction at all and had only put 3,000 miles on the car.

I'd love to hear thoughts from you guys. Please be gentle!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

In before the following comments and sub comments:
  • You don't know how to drive
    • Learn to feather the throttle
    • Learn to warm up your tires
    • Learn to drive
  • The car is too much for you
    • You need to spend more time in the car
    • You need less car
  • You shouldn't be driving like that on the street
    • danger will robinson, danger
  • If you had an A8 nothing would be wrong
    • #allthetractionmakingtorqueconverter
My first 1000 miles tells me - if it's warm, like over 70 - the Z hooks fairly well from a dig... below 60 - it's spin city. It's a TON of low down torque with the M7 - so I'm learning how to launch too... I'm fresh from a Mustang and I think the TC in the Vette is leaps and bounds beyond the Mustang's... so - while it does spin - it does it much more controllably than I'm used to - it also goes streight and then when it hooks - it's a hell of a ride. I think the eLSD makes a big difference in the spins keeping the car moving.

But I'm a smartass - and only have 1000 miles on mine.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:09 PM
01REDSS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an A8 and I have traction problems from a dig and/or anything below 45mph. Even at 65mph, during cold temps, she gets tail happy.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by hey32g
Hi, might be a strange question, but I'm asking anyway. Can you guys get traction off the line in your Z06?
No. There is no way one can use full throttle off the line, on the street, except when traction control or launch control are reducing power.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-12-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:23 PM
tehstoffa
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 4k miles on my 19 M7 Z06 and even in 100+ degree temps the car doesn't hook up in first. It didn't stock and it does not now, making 680 rwtq. This is on stock michelin tires (not cup2). I have actually been able to break the car loose in 3rd on the freeway with a stab of the throttle. The torque from this engine is impressive, to say the least.

I have plans to go to a 19" rear wheel and am thinking about going with the R888r toyo tire. I hear that makes quite the difference with the Z06.

I will echo the same comments earlier and say the TC system in this car is impressive as well. It really has to work hard to keep the car going straight with anything over 3/4 throttle. I actually rarely turn it off, as I feel the car is quicker in a straight line with it on.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:39 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If you want consistent traction off the line on the street, consider a GTR, Telsa, Porsche or any other awd car that will out 0-60 the Vette.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Z06Farmer
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

unfortunately you’re gonna have the same traction “problems” you had with your c6. I’ve learn to love launch control. I’ve raced two different coyote mustangs both on slicks and first gear we were neck and neck. So even with reduced power it’s still moving.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
If you want consistent traction off the line on the street, consider a GTR, Telsa, Porsche or any other awd car that will out 0-60 the Vette.
My wife just got a 2018 Tesla Model X P100D and it's hell to get in front of that car for the first 200 feet. Lol
Old 10-12-2018, 02:26 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Launch control will help in the street. With an A8, the engine is held at 1800 rpm, but with a M7, the engine is held at 3600 rpm (or so), which will draw attention. I haven't used launch control, but I can get decent launches now that I've somewhat memorized what my tires (Super Sports) can handle. I've only tested the traction control on a private road doing a roll on at around 10 to 15 mph, and the issue is the tires will spin for 1/4 to 1/2 second before traction control is enabled. Once TC is enabled, the tires stop spinning, the car tracks straight and there's a big increase in acceleration. I bought my 2015 Z06 M7 used, and the tires are 1 1/2 to 2 years old based on the date code, so that could be part of the problem, as I don't know how the original owner was driving the car.

Looking at the video and article reviews, I see quite a range for the C7 Z06 M7 based on who's driving, and conditions, 3.2 to 3.6 seconds for 0 to 60 mph times, and these appear to be on drag strips, but some drag strips are not prepped.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Amirns
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

My experience with the cup'2 tires were that you have to feather the throttle, but when I just pressed the gas fully I would spin if it was anything below 50-60 mph. But after I bought a DSC sport controller for my Z06 with Z07 suspension and also changed my tires to continentals for more comfort, I thought with the new tires there was no way I was going to hook up at all but the DSC worked some kind of magic and I can go full throttle from 20mph which is amazing in my opinion, and I live in Cali so its always usually 65-75 degrees. I tried doing a full throttle from stop and the backend kicked like a 45 degree angle
Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Traction all depends on throttle and clutch release. I don't monkey around on the street in Tour Mode so haven't really gone wide open throttle away from a light. Too many bad things can happen on the street to do that. Here is an autocross video (using Cup2 tires which weren't warm at the launch). Notice I am in Sport 1 which means there is no Traction Control but Performance Traction Management is active and you can hear it working during the video when you hear the exhaust stutter. The best performance comes when you can have PTM working.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-12-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:57 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

is that auto-x? the road looks absolutely horrible..
Old 10-12-2018, 02:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasmoto
My wife just got a 2018 Tesla Model X P100D and it's hell to get in front of that car for the first 200 feet. Lol
I've learned to pick my battles. Teslas always get the right of way from a stop (unless it's a dragstrip). Nothing worse than looking foolish and losing to a sedan or suv on the street.
The following users liked this post:
AZGASSER (10-13-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 PM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all the input, guys. It's appreciated.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Traction all depends on throttle and clutch release. I don't monkey around on the street in Tour Mode so haven't really gone wide open throttle away from a light. Too many bad things can happen on the street to do that. Here is an autocross video (using Cup2 tires which weren't warm at the launch). Notice I am in Sport 1 which means there is no Traction Control but Performance Traction Management is active and you can hear it working during the video when you hear the exhaust stutter. The best performance comes when you can have PTM is working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukobIba3zUw&t=128s

Bill
WOW, very impressive!
I need to try Sport 1 and see how it works for me.
I’ve tried Tour and Sport on the street and I can not go WOT in 1st at any speed without spinning.
What tire cold psi are you using? Still trying to figure out these cup2’s.
Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:20 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

On a well prepped track, my A8 Z will dead hook on the MPSS tires.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob U

WOW, very impressive!
I need to try Sport 1 and see how it works for me.
I’ve tried Tour and Sport on the street and I can not go WOT in 1st at any speed without spinning.
What tire cold psi are you using? Still trying to figure out these cup2’s.
Thanks for sharing the video.
26 psi. It seems that PTM acts like a launch control even if you don't have your foot to the floor and let the rpms settle out at 4500. That is what the stuttering was at the beginning of the run. The car didn't bog the rear wheels turned, caught, turned, caught and then hooked and away we went. I was also feathering the clutch and modulating the throttle as the car launched. After that it was all about rolling onto the throttle and getting PTM to cover my butt accelerating away from the turns. I think the car hit something like 67 on that longer straight. It is a real thrill doing that on a track that is 16 ft. wide, just like doing 67 mph in your driveway.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Get Traction Off the Line in Your Z06?

Old 10-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

An all-weel-drive anything will pretty much smoke you off the line, on wet pavement. And sometimes they can do it on dry pavement too.
Know the strengths and weaknesses of your car, and choose your challenges accordingly. Your C7Z is unlikely to do well in a mud-bogging or rock-climbing competition, or the Baja race.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 10-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:11 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

65f outside other day. Launch control on an averhae backwoods road. On pdr. 3.3 to 60. I've gone 3.2 on same road before in warmer weather. Computer handles all issues. At a dragstrip I know this car is capable of low 2 second to 60mph.

I could run this car 100 times and it would run 3.4 or better every time. In the street. Just dont furm the traction control off and do it in sport or track mode. The ELSD operates differently when in touring economy etc.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:03 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Traction all depends on throttle and clutch release. I don't monkey around on the street in Tour Mode so haven't really gone wide open throttle away from a light. Too many bad things can happen on the street to do that. Here is an autocross video (using Cup2 tires which weren't warm at the launch). Notice I am in Sport 1 which means there is no Traction Control but Performance Traction Management is active and you can hear it working during the video when you hear the exhaust stutter. The best performance comes when you can have PTM working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukobIba3zUw&t=128s

Bill

when u say no traction control, but PTM is on, how much slippage is being allowed?

Quick Reply: Can You Get Traction Off the Line in Your Z06?