C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...

Old 10-14-2018, 03:24 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...

15" Z06/07 A8 , Mamo PTB, Range AFM disabler
Installed a aFe CAI, no codes

Wow what difference vs. stock

Smoother crisper throttle response, quicker revving, I could swear higher shift points by +100-200RPM, shifts seem smoother
car just feels stronger from off idle to redline
Tires break loose so easy now it's almost ridiculous
there is no downside
If you've been debating, don't.
>>> Just get one, AFE, Halltech etc...

Or if you're the cautious type a BMS is step in the right direction.

Last edited by The T-man; 10-17-2018 at 10:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by The T-man:
3 Z06ZR1 (10-15-2018), C7/Z06 Man (10-14-2018), rsvette12 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 04:41 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default I like AFE, fits great, no cutting or wire ties & kicks A$$ in the real world.

Pic of when I first installed it. Now I run the gray 'low flow' dry filter because I got my best results with it at the drag strip.

I also like the window, reminds me of the new performance GM CAI or vise-versa & easy to put back to stock if needed.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-14-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:49 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My concern about the filters and non GM CAI's is the potential for running lean air to fuel mixtures because of flow changes near the MAF sensor. You'll get an initial boost, but then the car will start pulling timing to compensate if it detects knock, and I'd be concerned about running lean in general. I'm under the impression that the same stock GM intake is used for both Z06 and ZR1, so if it's good enough for the ZR1's higher air flow at 755 hp, it should be good enough for the Z06.

GM lists both the power increase and restriction reduction, but since the restriction (pressure drop) is small compared to ambient pressure in the intake, the actual power gain is better way to view the numbers: LT4: +11 HP => + 1.69% increase in power with 28% restriction reduction at 550g/s air flow, or LT5: +17 => +2.25% increase in power with a 26% restriction reduction at 630g/s air flow.

Last edited by rcgldr; 10-14-2018 at 06:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rcgldr:
mako71 (10-19-2018), vdavenp802 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 06:19 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rcgldr
My concern about the filters and non GM CAI's is the potential for running lean air to fuel mixtures because of flow changes near the MAF sensor. You'll get an initial boost, but then the car will start pulling timing to compensate if it detects knock, and I'd be concerned about running lean in general.
The factory ECM will compensate (protect) using the various sensor readings to keep things in the factory spec. 'range'. The ECM has adjustability due to the cars being driven way up north in the cold of winter or way down south in the blistering heat of a very hot summer and/or at high elevations or low.

Now if the computer can not compensate because what is going on is out of it's programed 'adjustment range' it will let you know by setting a code/light and/or doing something more drastic like 'Limp Mode' etc.

FYI: I was doing some testing between an OEM housing running the BMS filter & the AFE running it's 'low flow' dry filter.

I ran the BMS approx. 2 weeks before running it down the track twice, it produced X results within a hundredth of a second on both passes, then I install the AFE and made two passes. The first one was approx. 2 tenths faster (that be some HP) but got a code set on that pass which I read and cleared with a code reader, it was a lean code. I than made the second AFE pass with the only change being clearing the code, well the second pass (no codes set this time or there after) was right in the ballpark with the BMS times so that told me that the ecm made adjustments to bring things back into specs during that first AFE pass. The bottom line is that my best passes have been with the AFE CAI running the stock tune.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-14-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:59 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
The factory ECM will compensate (protect) using the various sensor readings to keep things in the factory spec. 'range'.
True, but if the MAF sensor is under sensing air flow due to a CAI installation, it will end up with a higher air to fuel ratio. I don't know if there is an exhaust gas temperature sensor (such as the ones on aircraft) to check for a lean AF ratio, if it's not enough to trigger a knocking condition.

The point of my previous post is that the restriction reduction is relatively small compared to the ambient pressure in the intake to the supercharger, which is why a 28% reduction in restriction only results in a small increase in supercharger intake pressure and a 1.69% gain in power for the Z06. Assume a situation where power is proportional to supercharger intake pressure, and let IP = unrestricted intake pressure. Doing the math, the stock pressure reduction turns out to be 0.057 IP and the CAI pressure reduction is 28% less at 0.0414 IP. That means the CAI intake pressure = (1 - 0.0414) IP = 0.95896 IP versus stock intake pressure = (1 - 0.05700) IP = 0.94300 IP, and the increase is (0.95896 IP) / (0.94300 IP) = 1.0169247, increasing 650 hp to 661 hp, the 11 hp gain claimed by GM.

Last edited by rcgldr; 10-14-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 PM
trevor90
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

i think intake is negligible. Matter of fact, just yesterday in Mexico i finally got a chance to race a friend of mine.

My car- bone stock A8 with a passenger.

His car- A8, intake, TB, and an xpipe.

We did a 40 roll and he pulled slightly, actually have the video. Will not be posting because his face is in it. I'll stay stock, difference is meh.

Last edited by trevor90; 10-14-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:01 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90
i think intake is negligible. Matter of fact, just yesterday in Mexico i finally got a chance to race a friend of mine.

We did a 40 roll and he pulled slightly, actually have the video. Will not be posting because his face is in it. I'll stay stock, difference is meh.
One example and who knows what really happened no one saw the race or how good the other driver was OR how good his car runs it may run poorly with 3 mods on the stock tune.etc,
We long time members who have been there and done that know. That straight Stock cars, the cars are not that fast the intake helps a lot. . The intake ONLY (Halltech) cars are faster no doubt 40 rwhp plus with everytime!

The following users liked this post:
chevy corvette (10-31-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
The factory ECM will compensate (protect) using the various sensor readings to keep things in the factory spec. 'range'. The ECM has adjustability due to the cars being driven way up north in the cold of winter or way down south in the blistering heat of a very hot summer and/or at high elevations or low.

Now if the computer can not compensate because what is going on is out of it's programed 'adjustment range' it will let you know by setting a code/light and/or doing something more drastic like 'Limp Mode' etc.

FYI: I was doing some testing between an OEM housing running the BMS filter & the AFE running it's 'low flow' dry filter.

I ran the BMS approx. 2 weeks before running it down the track twice, it produced X results within a hundredth of a second on both passes, then I install the AFE and made two passes. The first one was approx. 2 tenths faster (that be some HP) but got a code set on that pass which I read and cleared with a code reader, it was a lean code. I than made the second AFE pass with the only change being clearing the code, well the second pass (no codes set this time or there after) was right in the ballpark with the BMS times so that told me that the ecm made adjustments to bring things back into specs during that first AFE pass. The bottom line is that my best passes have been with the AFE CAI running the stock tune.
If you "was right in the ballpark with the BMS times" why didn't you stay with the BMS filter at about $100 rather than paying what, maybe $500 for the AFE???
Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
If you "was right in the ballpark with the BMS times" why didn't you stay with the BMS filter at about $100 rather than paying what, maybe $500 for the AFE???
I did not mention this in my post but I opened up the OEM air box for more clearance around the BMS filter which I did some posting on. I already had the AFE before trying/buying the BMS in the ported out air box so I can go with either at this point. You will find the reason for using the AFE in the last sentence of my above post.

The AFE & BMS testing thread with time slips:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...teresting.html

See this thread starting at post # 9 (porting out the OEM air box with pics).
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ench-test.html

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 10-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by The T-man
15" Z06/07 A8 , Mamo PTB, Range AFM disabler
Installed a Afe CAI, no codes

Wow what difference vs. stock

Smoother crisper throttle response, quicker revving, I could swear higher shift points by +100-200RPM, shifts seem smoother
car just feels stronger from off idle to redline
Tires break loose so easy now it's almost ridiculous
there is no downside
If you've been debating, don't.
>>> Just get one, AFE, Halltech etc...

Or if you're the cautious type a BMS is step in the right direction.
Cautious? I'm not even thinking. Your verifiable scientific analysis is called SOP. If it makes you feel good go for it.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:32 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

AFE was good for almost 40 wheel on a load bearing mustang dyno. No tune. back to back

can of race gas (octane booster) put down another 22+ mostly due to no timing being pulled.

anyone saying stock vs just an AFE isnt doing it right. They're legit. I've run Huracan's even performante's full bolt on vipers modified ZL1s etc. This car with just an AFE and can of race has pulls them all. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasmt in the car doing it. With a passenger. Something this car doesn't do without those two things. One because the factory setup is so restricting and the other because of KR.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 PM
speedsquad
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

While chassis dyno numbers show aftermarket intakes supposedly improve performance, the actual on track performance numbers show otherwise.
Per the fast list, the four fastest STOCK Z06's have run: 10.41, 10,42, 10.68, 10.70. In fact, the top six are all under 10.80. On the modified listing, the four fastest showing only a CAI as a modification have run: 10.72, 10.75, 10.77, 10.82.

Last edited by speedsquad; 10-15-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
AFE was good for almost 40 wheel on a load bearing mustang dyno. No tune. back to back

can of race gas (octane booster) put down another 22+ mostly due to no timing being pulled.

anyone saying stock vs just an AFE isnt doing it right. They're legit. I've run Huracan's even performante's full bolt on vipers modified ZL1s etc. This car with just an AFE and can of race has pulls them all. I wouldn't have believed it if I wasmt in the car doing it. With a passenger. Something this car doesn't do without those two things. One because the factory setup is so restricting and the other because of KR.
Exactly! The Halltech intake does the same or even more.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by speedsquad
While chassis dyno numbers show aftermarket intakes supposedly improve performance, the actual on track performance numbers show otherwise.
Per the fast list, the four fastest STOCK Z06's have run: 10.41, 10,42, 10.68, 10.70. In fact, the top six are all under 10.80. On the modified listing, the four fastest showing only a CAI as a modification have run: 10.72, 10.75, 10.77, 10.82.
You can guess again if you think everyone is honest and all stock on the fast list! Then track times vary widely!
The trap timers vary from track to rack as well. Plus the 60ft is key too key and skews results. You can lose a 1/4 mile race but dust them on roll races.
Only way to see is side by side at the same time. I was born but night but not last night. Some guys know every trick in the book including race gas and hidden mods which insure max timing.
The real story is on the dyno. You dyno add the intake dyno 40 or more rwhp and your car is going to be faster assuming you can drive some are just at poor driving and do not get the most from the car. Thanks for playing!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-15-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:54 AM
The T-man
Pro

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Cautious? I'm not even thinking. Your verifiable scientific analysis is called SOP. If it makes you feel good go for it.
Have you ever even run one? If not, your comments are not really relevant other than personal opinion
if you have run one, comment accordingly w/ your results
There are dozens of legitimate shops w/ dyno sheets proving these are worth 40+hp/tq.

Last edited by The T-man; 10-16-2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z

"Back to back" is part of the problem. It doesn't resolve the controversy of whether that gain lasts, or whether most of it is eventually adjusted out by the computer, as some claim.

Scoobydoobydoo (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:42 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,754 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Been driving fast high hp cars for my entire adult life. Going on 30yrs experience now. Run at numerous tracks forever. Did one of the first 20 inch DR tests for super Chevy magazine with my vehicle back in the day.

In other words, i can feel 40 wheel. I trust my butt dyno... and in the end, it's hard to argue the facts. same dyno, swap airbox and not a static roller but load bearing one and there it was. Wasn't even my car. It was my buddy's. We bought them a week apart. He owns the shop which has been in a dozen magazines with his cars and customer's builds..

We were surprised by the results.. very much so..

In addition, the change from the stock airbox to the AFE was pronounced when I did it to mine as well. Mine was free. Dealer took a z06 on trade and wanted the stock parts out back on. My buddy gave it to me.

after the install I noticed immediately that off line throttle response was better. Another example, areas I know what the car does from 60 to 125 now became 60 to 130. It's shocking what a difference 40 wheel makes when you did next to nothing and don't expect it. Go drive them back to back. Gets through the gears quicker...noticeably.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-16-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Plstxmd (10-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...

Old 10-16-2018, 09:59 AM
HessViper
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by trevor90

After much reading and observation on this forum, myself and a couple others have come to the conclusion that many individuals on this forum who have strong opinions, continually ignore that south florida is 7ft above sea level. Not 700, not 70, but 7.

It also has the highest barometric pressure readings in the usa, at certain times when high pressure systems come through.

Your observations are correct Trevor, and as it has been explained many times in the past on this forum, as the vehicles are approaching the p0106 limit, the vehicles take actions to limit power.

Your car and his car are already near that limit, so his car is limiting power more than yours is as he is closer to that limit than your car is, given his apparent air flowing upgrades. In fact, it is very probable that if he did not have the derestricted X pipe, that your car would actually become faster than his is at 7 ft above sea level, as the derestricted X pipe prevents MAP pressures in his manifold from becoming as high in his manifold. If they were higher, his car would actually limit power even more than it currently does.

The good news is, The solution to this mess is on its way. In the mean time, most people here refuse to accept real life data and evidence from countless people who are at sea level.

You and I will meet and talk soon.

There is no point in discussing it here in the open, as we have realized most people on this forum were apparently not gifted with the mental capability to understand altitude and barometric pressure, and how both have effects on a MAP sensor, which is a sensor which is reporting to a CPU equipped with programming that is intended to limit vehicle power when too high of MAP pressures are reached, limits implemented by GM in attempt to prevent people from running more aggressive pulleys on their stock tune z06, otherwise all stock z06 could be taken to 800hp by the vehicle owners, with ease, and without negative consequence from the stock tune.

Many, many, many people on this forum with loud opinions, lack the mental capacity to comprehend the above paragraph.

In the meantime, if you and your friend go on a road trip to a higher altitude, your car will lose relative to his in a race by greater and greater margin, as you and he get above 100ft and higher. The higher you both go, the faster his car will become relative to yours.

Last edited by HessViper; 10-16-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:30 PM
The T-man
Pro

I'm close to sea level fortunately
Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM
CSIXX1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by HessViper
After much reading and observation on this forum, myself and a couple others have come to the conclusion that many individuals on this forum who have strong opinions, continually ignore that south florida is 7ft above sea level. Not 700, not 70, but 7.

It also has the highest barometric pressure readings in the usa, at certain times when high pressure systems come through.

Your observations are correct Trevor, and as it has been explained many times in the past on this forum, as the vehicles are approaching the p0106 limit, the vehicles take actions to limit power.

Your car and his car are already near that limit, so his car is limiting power more than yours is as he is closer to that limit than your car is, given his apparent air flowing upgrades. In fact, it is very probable that if he did not have the derestricted X pipe, that your car would actually become faster than his is at 7 ft above sea level, as the derestricted X pipe prevents MAP pressures in his manifold from becoming as high in his manifold. If they were higher, his car would actually limit power even more than it currently does.

The good news is, The solution to this mess is on its way. In the mean time, most people here refuse to accept real life data and evidence from countless people who are at sea level.

You and I will meet and talk soon.

There is no point in discussing it here in the open, as we have realized most people on this forum were apparently not gifted with the mental capability to understand altitude and barometric pressure, and how both have effects on a MAP sensor, which is a sensor which is reporting to a CPU equipped with programming that is intended to limit vehicle power when too high of MAP pressures are reached, limits implemented by GM in attempt to prevent people from running more aggressive pulleys on their stock tune z06, otherwise all stock z06 could be taken to 800hp by the vehicle owners, with ease, and without negative consequence from the stock tune.

Many, many, many people on this forum with loud opinions, lack the mental capacity to comprehend the above paragraph.

In the meantime, if you and your friend go on a road trip to a higher altitude, your car will lose relative to his in a race by greater and greater margin, as you and he get above 100ft and higher. The higher you both go, the faster his car will become relative to yours.
So what your saying above is if there was no predetermined upper MAP limit programmed in the ECM/CPU then you could mod and the stock tune would automatically compensate, it would adjust any timing schedules, fueling schedules, protect from KR, and keep the AFR in the safe zone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you're on the fence Re: CAI don't be...