C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Fernando@LGMotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit

Hello everyone,

This is the latest and most thoroughly tested version of the LG Motorsports oil cooler. After many variations we settled on this design. It has been designed to work with naturally aspirated, supercharged and ProCharged C7 Corvettes. We recorded the temperature on the factory system at 298° on a 97° Texas day with track surface temperature at 122°. The LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit saved the day with temperatures never exceeding 239° in similar conditions as previously tested. THAT'S A DECREASE OF 60 DEGREES!!! This kit is a complete bolt-on affair and can be installed in the garage at home in a few hours with basic handtools. We utilize our billet adapter block to allow you to tie into the oiling system and run -10AN stainless steel hoses to and from the cooler. Buy with confidence that all testing and fitment has been taken care of for you and all you have to do is have fun on the track!

These are on the shelf ready to ship today!

ORDER YOURS HERE

Thanks,
Fernando

Last edited by Fernando@LGMotorsports; 10-19-2018 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fernando@LGMotorsports:
jstewart (11-22-2018), Mikec7z (11-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 PM
YELLOWDREAMZ
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The location looks good because it won't block much air in that spot. I assume the oil cooler adapter includes a thermostat and you include the fittings to block off where the original lines go to the radiator. Can it come with black AN hoses also...…...
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by YELLOWDREAMZ
The location looks good because it won't block much air in that spot. I assume the oil cooler adapter includes a thermostat and you include the fittings to block off where the original lines go to the radiator. Can it come with black AN hoses also...…...
It is also far enough forward that air can cool before reaching the radiator.

Our products are tested on and built for the racetrack so we utilize an open adapter, if you are in the north east and making short trips frequently you can use an improved adapter that utilizes a thermostat.

Yes, we provide a new freeze plug and cap for radiator.

The lines themselves cannot come in black but can be sleeved in black for an additional $50.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:31 PM
JBond214
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good!

Last edited by JBond214; 10-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fernando@LGMotorsports (10-21-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Fernando@LGMotorsports

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Update

You asked and we listened!

We are now offering a thermostatic adapter block as an option for our C7 Oil cooler Kit. These are available in a temperature of your choice - 180°F, 200°F, and 212°F. Our lines will be built to match the adapter when selected or requested.

These are on sale now for the holidays.
ORDER YOURS HERE

Thanks,
Fernando
Mikec7z (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Fernando@LGMotorsports
You asked and we listened!

We are now offering a thermostatic adapter block as an option for our C7 Oil cooler Kit. These are available in a temperature of your choice - 180°F, 200°F, and 212°F. Our lines will be built to match the adapter when selected or requested.

These are on sale now for the holidays.
ORDER YOURS HERE

Thanks,
Fernando
That is a nice set up! Built in t-stat very cool.
Fernando@LGMotorsports (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

1. right oil cooler. 2. Right orientation. 3. Single pass. 4. Correct thermo oil adapter...

5. now just think how cool it would be if it were down by the chin, and had a diagonal plate behind it, taking all hot air out under the car, so that the other coolers still get their optimal cooling

6. And then think if you added another one behind it, after the downward diagonal... and rear one replaced the existing flat cooler's fluid cooling, and it had a diagonal behind it, so still no hot air going to the radiator cluster of coolers

Plus in the chin, you don't have hoses blocking 5-10% of the openings air flow to the rear exchanger's behind the hose. Instead, the hose can be ran literally inside the bottom front fascia cavity, out in front of the cooler, away from it. More air gets to the radiator cluster area of coolers.

But I'm not complaining, 4 out of 6... is lightyears ahead of everyone else. Very good work

But when you get bored, relocation is not hard

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-19-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Fernando@LGMotorsports (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:04 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Looks great! Installing the cooler itself is what looks difficult. The hoses, etc seem pretty simple.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Looks great! Installing the cooler itself is what looks difficult. The hoses, etc seem pretty simple.
If I can do it anyone can do it.

I also have pictures that make it pretty clear.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Can't wait to see the pics!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:29 AM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Mike C7Z

You have just described the Dewitts standalone oil cooler(dual pass- not single pass) for location an orientation.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-today.html

Chevrolet has commented specifically about the aerodynamics under the chin spoiler being critical to controlling lift, so sucking in air from below or exhausting it out through the bottom is a no go.
"In addition, as mentioned previously, the previous configuration of “bottom breather” airflow to the radiator didn’t work all that well at speeds that Corvettes are now seeing on racetracks. The change to a forward-angled radiator would be the first of many refinements forged in the heat of competition. In this configuration, air is force-fed into the engine bay and then ducted out over the top of the hood, an arrangement that provides more inherent downforce. About half the air goes over the top, with less than half spilling out through the side vents."
http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...-like-a-knife/

Each offering has a trade off-
Tikt - looks great - really expensive
LG Motorsports and GSpeed - Similar and proven to work - not cheap
Dewitts - least expensive and helps, dual pass, but doesn't eliminate the problem for automatics above 95* - would probably help with a manual trans - but time consuming to install.
Improved Racing - great parts - build it yourself - good luck with the outcome

IMHO - we have enough options. Pick what works best for you. I only track my car for the summer months at Laguna Seca to avoid 100*+ temps at Thunderhill. I will probably install a standalone oil cooler and will probably go with the new Dewitt offering, because of ease of install(not have to remove front bumper) and the based on the effort Tom has done to prove the efficiency.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598355262

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
1. right oil cooler.
2. Right orientation.
3. Single pass.
4. Correct thermo oil adapter...
5. now just think how cool it would be if it were down by the chin, and had a diagonal plate behind it, taking all hot air out under the car, so that the other coolers still get their optimal cooling
6. And then think if you added another one behind it, after the downward diagonal... and rear one replaced the existing flat cooler's fluid cooling, and it had a diagonal behind it, so still no hot air going to the radiator cluster of coolers

Plus in the chin, you don't have hoses blocking 5-10% of the openings air flow to the rear exchanger's behind the hose. Instead, the hose can be ran literally inside the bottom front fascia cavity, out in front of the cooler, away from it. More air gets to the radiator cluster area of coolers.
But I'm not complaining, 4 out of 6... is lightyears ahead of everyone else. Very good work
But when you get bored, relocation is not hard
GSpeed (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Mike C7Z

You have just described the Dewitts standalone oil cooler(dual pass- not single pass) for location an orientation.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-today.html

Chevrolet has commented specifically about the aerodynamics under the chin spoiler being critical to controlling lift, so sucking in air from below or exhausting it out through the bottom is a no go.
"In addition, as mentioned previously, the previous configuration of “bottom breather” airflow to the radiator didn’t work all that well at speeds that Corvettes are now seeing on racetracks. The change to a forward-angled radiator would be the first of many refinements forged in the heat of competition. In this configuration, air is force-fed into the engine bay and then ducted out over the top of the hood, an arrangement that provides more inherent downforce. About half the air goes over the top, with less than half spilling out through the side vents."
http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...-like-a-knife/

Each offering has a trade off-
Tikt - looks great - really expensive
LG Motorsports and GSpeed - Similar and proven to work - not cheap
Dewitts - least expensive and helps, dual pass, but doesn't eliminate the problem for automatics above 95* - would probably help with a manual trans - but time consuming to install.
Improved Racing - great parts - build it yourself - good luck with the outcome

IMHO - we have enough options. Pick what works best for you. I only track my car for the summer months at Laguna Seca to avoid 100*+ temps at Thunderhill. I will probably install a standalone oil cooler and will probably go with the new Dewitt offering, because of ease of install(not have to remove front bumper) and the based on the effort Tom has done to prove the efficiency.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598355262
The black friday sale puts our kit pretty close to the price of other offerings. https://www.lgmotorsports.com/corvet...ooler-kit.html
Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

There's a youtube video on removing the front clip. It's not as difficult as you might think. I've pulled mine off, to do the secondary radiator install, and will probably do it again to install the LG kit. If I were you I'd base my decision on what would give the best results and go that way. I haven't seen the results of the DeWitt cooler that they're working on now so I may wait until they finish. If I buy now it will be the LG.

Herman

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 11-20-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Does this delete the secondary radiator? I think the line from that goes into the oil cooler. I just looked at mine.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Great looking unit. Congrats on such a high quality piece.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaSecaZ06
Mike C7Z

You have just described the Dewitts standalone oil cooler(dual pass- not single pass)
no he didnt. The bottom flat laying cooler needs to be removed to put the 2 thick HD coolers where he plans to put them.

To say more air will go under the car is to admit more air will pass through the coolers than the current flat laying one allows to pass, as its air too has to go under the car.

I agree it will be more air, but that air will also have to pass a much longer distance through the cooler that Mike intends to use (like the one pictured above), instead of the stock thin flat one. This will equate to much more cooling of the fluid inside the HX, even if passable air remains the same amount of air volume per unit of time, the air spent more time absorbing more heat from more metal surfaces in a thicker cooler.

rest assured, if Mike has anything to do with it... it will be tested at the top speeds of which the z06 is capable of running. I don't think anything on his cars has the luxury of ever being driven slowly

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoxyCarter:
HessViper (11-23-2018), Thomasmoto (11-21-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:52 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Fernando@LGMotorsports
Hello everyone,

This is the latest and most thoroughly tested version of the LG Motorsports oil cooler. After many variations we settled on this design. It has been designed to work with naturally aspirated, supercharged and ProCharged C7 Corvettes. We recorded the temperature on the factory system at 298° on a 97° Texas day with track surface temperature at 122°. The LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit saved the day with temperatures never exceeding 239° in similar conditions as previously tested. THAT'S A DECREASE OF 60 DEGREES!!! This kit is a complete bolt-on affair and can be installed in the garage at home in a few hours with basic handtools. We utilize our billet adapter block to allow you to tie into the oiling system and run -10AN stainless steel hoses to and from the cooler. Buy with confidence that all testing and fitment has been taken care of for you and all you have to do is have fun on the track!

These are on the shelf ready to ship today!

ORDER YOURS HERE

Thanks,
Fernando
Per usual from LG a well thought out and race track tested product.

Last edited by jstewart; 11-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit

Old 11-22-2018, 12:04 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter
no he didnt. The bottom flat laying cooler needs to be removed to put the 2 thick HD coolers where he plans to put them.
Actually, he did. Dewitt currently offers an oil cooling kit that installs on a diagonal in the nose cavity of the car.

Dewitt's "lay flat" version, specifically for A8 Zs, that supplants the A8's TOC, is not yet shipping.

Last edited by HighBeta; 11-22-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike's version does not lay flat.

mikes version is single pass, DeWitts is not.

mikes front feed, coolers, are 2 of the setrab coolers shown above by LG.

these front feed coolers replace the bottom flat cooler and takes its place, they don't sit on top.

read to comprehend, not to argue.

no one has what Mike thought up... yet.

DeWitt soon to be released product are 2 small coolers Laying flat.

Mike prefers LG cooler shown above over DeWitts.

he has made that clear.

EDIT:
Mike and Hess say buy 2 of these LG coolers, and removed the flat cooler. Put the 2 LG coolers forward facing.

Blue is where LG puts it.

Red is where Mike puts it.

yellow is a diagonal up plate attached to top of cooler to snag incoming air IF coolers are sitting down too low. If they are up enough, the yellow plate is not needed.

pressure still forces air into the coolers, even if the chin of the fascia is in the way slightly.

below is a side view. Either cooler can be clocked 20 degrees, the second one being clocked 45 degrees in the diagram is extreme. 20 or 30 degree is plenty. Sitting flat is fine also... must be forward facing, not up/down like the thin stock chin hx

Mike says the rear cooler is plugged into the lines of the stock flat laying cooler. The Setrab will cool the auto trans or manual z06 HX, more than the flat laying stock thin one does.

Mike and Hess say to buy 2 of these LG cooler kits, and put them in the bottom... not the top.

They like the product. (There are thicker coolers than the ones LG pictured above, and those work slightly better, not hard for LG to swap to the thicker ones and charge a bit more money)

You only need one of the Improved Racing fittings, as the second cooler is not plugged into engine block, but instead the existing hard lines that plug into the flat stock chin cooler.

LG is right there, inches from perfection compared to the competition... just move it down and sell twice the coolers

Happy thanksgiving everyone

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-22-2018 at 01:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoxyCarter:
HessViper (11-23-2018), kenw (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:39 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

What happens with the coolant line that runs from the block, through the og oil cooler, then through the secondary radiator and back to the main radiator? I think most of the kits block it off.

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Oil Cooler Kit