C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:43 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig
**UPDATE**
The sales person from the dealership just called me today and asked if I was still interested in the car

I told them I was concerned with the problems reported on the car and that I would require an extended warranty if I were to consider purchasing the vehicle. The sales person told me that it wouldn’t be an issue at all to provide me with an extended warranty. Next I asked about the price. I offered $58,000 for it (as of this posting it is at $61,999) to which she replied ‘unfortunately our vehicles are not priced to have that kind of leeway- which sounds like a bunch of sales person hogwash to me- but I digress.

A good friend of mine gave my very stern warnings about lemon cars when I told him about my situation (he has a background in car brokering) but the more I ponder the issue and the more I read the opinions of everybody in this thread the more I lean towards saying **** it and pulling the trigger.

Is there anyone else with useful insight/feedback?
any additional input would be greatly appreciated!
The fact that this thread is still alive and you are still not sure should tell you that your gut is saying don't do it and that you should walk away. All things considered, you will find another Z that will make you happy that does not have all of the potential baggage this one does. Listen to your gut in situations like these.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
The fact that this thread is still alive and you are still not sure should tell you that your gut is saying don't do it and that you should walk away. All things considered, you will find another Z that will make you happy that does not have all of the potential baggage this one does. Listen to your gut in situations like these.
In general, I agree with going with your gut, but that generally applies to people and if they don't give you a warm fuzzy. Our instincts are to keep us alive, not make a decision on a car purchase. Nothing wrong with going with your gut in most things in life, but when it comes to things like this, I think it comes down to things like hearing other people's experiences and doing research and things like that. Facts over feelings. That being said "listen to your gut" is not the worst advice.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:54 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
In general, I agree with going with your gut, but that generally applies to people and if they don't give you a warm fuzzy. Our instincts are to keep us alive, not make a decision on a car purchase. Nothing wrong with going with your gut in most things in life, but when it comes to things like this, I think it comes down to things like hearing other people's experiences and doing research and things like that. Facts over feelings. That being said "listen to your gut" is not the worst advice.
All I know is that the one time I went against my gut on a car purchase and tried to rationalize away obvious issues I ended up paying through the nose for years. Lesson learned.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I know it's tempting when you find a car optioned the way you like. It's difficult to find a used M7/Z07 with comp seats in the color you want & it's even a 3LZ. But I personally wouldn't buy it & would keep looking. There has to be a car out there equipped the way you want with a clear title. If you buy this car & then decide to sell it at some point or something unexpected happens in life & you need to unload it odds are you'll be stuck with it because not many people are willing to buy a branded car.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

Walk away, and never look back.
Don't buy it!
Old 11-03-2018, 06:26 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

If I get the extended warranty and the car starts having persisting issues that they can’t fix, would I still be able to make GM buy it back if it’s already a branded title?
Old 11-03-2018, 06:37 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I know it's tempting when you find a car optioned the way you like. It's difficult to find a used M7/Z07 with comp seats in the color you want & it's even a 3LZ. But I personally wouldn't buy it & would keep looking. There has to be a car out there equipped the way you want with a clear title. If you buy this car & then decide to sell it at some point or something unexpected happens in life & you need to unload it odds are you'll be stuck with it because not many people are willing to buy a branded car.

I had a 2006 Lancer Evolution that I owned from June 2006 up until 1 week ago. That’s almost 13 years; I have no problems with long-term commitment. If this car doesn’t give me a ton of issues I will most likely have it for over 10 years so I’m not really worried about resale value.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

It's easy to armchair quarterback it and say "walk away, there's a car out there for you". Funny, it kinda reminds me of dating. "She's not right for you. There's someone better out there just WAITING for you". Look, no one should ever settle, but there's no such thing as the perfect girl OR car. At least with cars you can buy them brand new and build them the way you want, but not all of us can afford a $100k+ car. I digress. There are 2 points in this SPECIFIC car that make it a little tougher to find. 1) It's manual. Just do a search for 2015+ Z06s on autotrader within 200 miles of your location. Like 200 matches or so, right (depending on where you are)? Now eliminated autos. You got like 30 left. It's ridiculous. Now... 2) look for yellow. If you find 5 cars in your area, you're either in a GIANT metro area or super lucky. I guess the OP's conundrum strikes home with me because this is the EXACT same issue I had, plus we're close to the same age and looking to spend about the same amount, so maybe I'm too close to the trees to see the forest. Anyway, long winded way of saying look for MANUAL trans YELLOW Z06s and anyone that says "the perfect car is out there for you" might change their tune. I'm not saying you should settle for whatever you can get, but IMO, if you can get some insurance (aka extended warranty) to cover your ***, on a car that's EXACTLY what you want for the price that works for you, I wouldn't just walk away from it without GOOD reason.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (11-11-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,078 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Old 11-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

So is the effing scenario 1) whether you would take the risk if it were cheap enough? Or 2) figuring out whether the risk is too great to price?

If you’re searching for the latter, you’re never going to get that answer without owning the car for awhile.

Do your work, set a price at which you’re willing to take the risk, and move on. geez

Last edited by Parcival; 11-03-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:00 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
It's easy to armchair quarterback it and say "walk away, there's a car out there for you". Funny, it kinda reminds me of dating. "She's not right for you. There's someone better out there just WAITING for you". Look, no one should ever settle, but there's no such thing as the perfect girl OR car. At least with cars you can buy them brand new and build them the way you want, but not all of us can afford a $100k+ car. I digress. There are 2 points in this SPECIFIC car that make it a little tougher to find. 1) It's manual. Just do a search for 2015+ Z06s on autotrader within 200 miles of your location. Like 200 matches or so, right (depending on where you are)? Now eliminated autos. You got like 30 left. It's ridiculous. Now... 2) look for yellow. If you find 5 cars in your area, you're either in a GIANT metro area or super lucky. I guess the OP's conundrum strikes home with me because this is the EXACT same issue I had, plus we're close to the same age and looking to spend about the same amount, so maybe I'm too close to the trees to see the forest. Anyway, long winded way of saying look for MANUAL trans YELLOW Z06s and anyone that says "the perfect car is out there for you" might change their tune. I'm not saying you should settle for whatever you can get, but IMO, if you can get some insurance (aka extended warranty) to cover your ***, on a car that's EXACTLY what you want for the price that works for you, I wouldn't just walk away from it without GOOD reason.

a man after my own heart👏 You truly know my struggle.

Thank you everyone. I think I’ve gathered enough information for me to reach a decision..

will update, if it’s worth updating
Old 11-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

a man after my own heart👏 You truly know my struggle.

Thank you everyone. I think I’ve gathered enough information for me to reach a decision..

will update, if it’s worth updating
Sounds like you've decided to get the car. If you're comfortable with the deal go for it. I hope the car turns out to be trouble free and what you expected. You asked for opinions & found out that branded cars scare most of us away.

I know it's difficult to find an M7 in a particular color with the options you want at a set price. I went through a similar situation several months ago. I literally had 3 or 4 cars to choose from in the entire country that met most of my criteria after searching for a couple of months. I just happened to be searching online at the very moment when a new listing popped up for an M7/Z07 in the correct color, options, & price at an out of state dealer. It was like finding a Unicorn so I called immediately because I knew I wouldn't find another one equipped the same way at my price point. I could have easily missed that new listing & someone else would have ended up with it. I got lucky I guess & for once in my life I was at the right place at the right time.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:19 PM
kman4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting coincidence

I live in Wisconsin and actually purchased a lemon vehicle from Van Horn 2 years ago at what I thought was an amazing price. If you take a look, Van Horn seems to specialize in these type of deals. A lot of their used car inventories are comprised of lemon cars at a cheaper cost than similar vehicles that are clean titled.

The car I bought was riddled with problems. Luckily, I ended up purchasing an extended warranty and the car had a good amount of the manufacturer warranty left as well. In 2 years of owning, I've had multiple repairs under both warranties. The repairs didn't cost me much financially but it's time consuming and without a doubt frustrating. Not to mention that I feel like the car is a Frankenstein now that it's been picked apart to be fixed for various different issues. And though most people won't be able to tell, I notice them because I'm the owner. You can see marks where the tech replaced certain parts or opened up panels to fix the issues. After all this, I kinda just want to sell the car but I'm going to ride it until it's worthless because the lemon title makes it impossible to sell for what I'd think it'd be fair.

The coincidence part:

Two days ago, I just bought a 2016 C7 Z06 Corvette with a manual transmission. I attached a picture below. I got it for 63k and it seems like the options are spec'd similar and the price is near there too. But might has a clean title. So you might want to wait, I bet better deals will come out. If you really can't afford it, might as well wait couple months for these cars to depreciate to that point. Just my 2 cents. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Good luck with whatever decision you make but great choice on picking a corvette. This thing is something else!

~kman

Two days ago
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Sounds like you've decided to get the car. If you're comfortable with the deal go for it. I hope the car turns out to be trouble free and what you expected. You asked for opinions & found out that branded cars scare most of us away.

I know it's difficult to find an M7 in a particular color with the options you want at a set price. I went through a similar situation several months ago. I literally had 3 or 4 cars to choose from in the entire country that met most of my criteria after searching for a couple of months. I just happened to be searching online at the very moment when a new listing popped up for an M7/Z07 in the correct color, options, & price at an out of state dealer. It was like finding a Unicorn so I called immediately because I knew I wouldn't find another one equipped the same way at my price point. I could have easily missed that new listing & someone else would have ended up with it. I got lucky I guess & for once in my life I was at the right place at the right time.
Definition of "luck" is when preparedness meets opportunity. Life's not a dress rehearsal; when the brass ring goes by, it's the winners in life who grab it. Enjoy your new Z; whatever you end up with you won't be disappointed...
Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

If I get this vehicle along with an extended warranty, what would happen if the car started having lots of issues again? Would I be able to make them buy it back for my original purchase price while it’s still under warranty?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 PM
kman4
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I get this vehicle along with an extended warranty, what would happen if the car started having lots of issues again? Would I be able to make them buy it back for my original purchase price while it’s still under warranty?
I'm not an expert but I don't think that's the case. They're only required to buy it back if you have to bring it back multiple times for the same problem. Else, if they're able to repair the problem, that's what they will do.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:21 AM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts
Default GM Buybacks

GM buybacks from authorized GM dealers are guaranteed to be repaired to factory specs.
To insure this, GM provides a 12/12 warranty or remainder of the factory warranty, whichever is longer, from the date you purchase the buyback.
This warranty is known as GM RVDC. There is no charge and no deductible. Only applies to the initial buyer, so check with dealer.
The warranty is worth at least $2500 on a Corvette with expired or short lived warranty.

If you purchase this buy back for $5-10K under the market and keep it 3-4 years you should be able to keep your savings since the other non- buybacks will depreciate more than yours as the value goes down over time as they become 'older' used cars and they get closer in price with yours.When you sell it to the next guy, you will have your personal experience with the car to assure the buyer it is OK even though it's a buyback. The stigma gradually fades over the years and the car will be valued by mileage and condition, not as a new car buyback.
The following users liked this post:
Toddiesel (11-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Old 11-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by $Bill
GM buybacks from authorized GM dealers are guaranteed to be repaired to factory specs.
To insure this, GM provides a 12/12 warranty or remainder of the factory warranty, whichever is longer, from the date you purchase the buyback.
This warranty is known as GM RVDC. There is no charge and no deductible. Only applies to the initial buyer, so check with dealer.
The warranty is worth at least $2500 on a Corvette with expired or short lived warranty.

If you purchase this buy back for $5-10K under the market and keep it 3-4 years you should be able to keep your savings since the other non- buybacks will depreciate more than yours as the value goes down over time as they become 'older' used cars and they get closer in price with yours.When you sell it to the next guy, you will have your personal experience with the car to assure the buyer it is OK even though it's a buyback. The stigma gradually fades over the years and the car will be valued by mileage and condition, not as a new car buyback.
Man, when this guy posts, he BRINGS it! Probably the most valuable post in this whole thread. Excellent information sir
Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no Lemon law protection for used cars. The buyback will come with a minimum of a one year original GM manufacturer's new car warranty extension.
{RVDC}
Old 11-10-2018, 10:59 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'd say if you can confirm with certainty that the part that was troubling the original owner was in fact replaced as part ofd the entire assemblty, why not?

Quick Reply: Would you buy this Z06 lemon?