C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:39 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anybody make sense of this document for me?

it says reverse gear was replaced amongst other things... how could one car have such a large variety of issues? From supposedly leaky suspension, faulty transmission adapter and bad reverse gear? Is this car cursed? When I asked the sales manager he said causally “I think the previous owner just had ‘paymentitis’”. Which I would be more inclined to believe except for all the aforementioned parts replaced
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
doc11268620181113194239.pdf (815.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'd say if you can confirm with certainty that the part that was troubling the original owner was in fact replaced as part ofd the entire assemblty, why not?
how does one confirm with certainty, exactly? Because I’ve asked them that exact question; if the original issue that troubled the first owner has been remedied and of course being salespeople they responded with a resounding YES.

What id like to know is, is there a system in place already safeguarding the consumer? As in, if the cars original issue(s) were still present with the car then the car wouldn’t be fit to be back on the market, right?

in other words General Motors would need to make sure the car is operating as it should be before it ever got into Van Horn Chevrolet’s hands, riiight? 🤔
Old 11-15-2018, 05:49 PM
$Bill
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

Buybacks are covered by a 12/12 original manufactures's new car warranty extension [Not a service contract] or the remaining new car warranty, whichever is longer.
This would give you one year at least for any problems to arise and have them repaired under warranty.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Going back to your original post, I’m sure that this car is not for you... you start talking abt your “constrained budget” right away so a z06 3LZ, not to mention a GM manufacturer buyback, is going to stress you out... Dont get me wrong, I appreciate due diligence on a deal especially on a “steal.” But 99% of the time on deals where people have gone this far to make sure they don’t lose a cent they can’t risk, they are better off buying something cheaper. Get a ‘17 GS 3lz manual for mid to high $50k-s and bank the rest. Yes you’d be giving up something - I traded a ‘17 Gs for a ‘17 Z . But You’re not goin to track the car anyway if you’re this worried abt the risk.

Btw the report didn’t seem too crazy- I’ve seen worse and the car was fine for 20k miles before I sold it and I’ve learned things abt a car’s history after the fact that I wouldn’t have guessed. I give a car a long rowdy test drive if possible.

Or maybe u buy it now and show me that I’m wrong. Then God forbid that anything does happen to this car, this forum is never going to hear the end of it. I’m betting it would be something ironically unrelated to the original defects like the dash leather trim falling off!

Just sayin’ sorry.

Last edited by Parcival; 11-15-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

Your gut knows to run away from this car. If you have a budget, stick to that and wait for the right car to fall within that budget.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Parcival
Going back to your original post, I’m sure that this car is not for you... you start talking abt your “constrained budget” right away so a z06 3LZ, not to mention a GM manufacturer buyback, is going to stress you out... Dont get me wrong, I appreciate due diligence on a deal especially on a “steal.” But 99% of the time on deals where people have gone this far to make sure they don’t lose a cent they can’t risk, they are better off buying something cheaper. Get a ‘17 GS 3lz manual for mid to high $50k-s and bank the rest. Yes you’d be giving up something - I traded a ‘17 Gs for a ‘17 Z . But You’re not goin to track the car anyway if you’re this worried abt the risk.

Btw the report didn’t seem too crazy- I’ve seen worse and the car was fine for 20k miles before I sold it and I’ve learned things abt a car’s history after the fact that I wouldn’t have guessed. I give a car a long rowdy test drive if possible.

Or maybe u buy it now and show me that I’m wrong. Then God forbid that anything does happen to this car, this forum is never going to hear the end of it. I’m betting it would be something ironically unrelated to the original defects like the dash leather trim falling off!

Just sayin’ sorry.

i negotiated a 7 year 75,000 mile warranty.. surely that counts for something right? Whatever problems it has they’ll have to fix it for free virtually forever
Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig

i negotiated a 7 year 75,000 mile warranty.. surely that counts for something right? Whatever problems it has they’ll have to fix it for free virtually forever
I've made a few mistakes over the years and when it came to buying a car. All of them related to my fixation on getting a particular one because I'd already sold myself on the idea and common sense went out the window. I think you may be in the same position. All of us can understand the great desire to have a Z but if this car has had the kind of problems you've described, it will likely continue to do so. Even if you have a long warranty, it could end up in the shop for extended periods of time which will frustrate you. Unless you have a dealer service dept with several Vette techs, a mechanical repair can often take one to three weeks. And, if you go to sell it, that history will come back to haunt you because potential buyers are going to have the same doubts you are having. There's plenty of good cars in your budget out there with a clean history. My advice is to cool your jets a little and find the right car. What you're doing with this one is sort of like going after a beautiful girl while ignoring the fact that she may be "high maintenance" and will turn your life into a nightmare..
Old 11-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Satanspawn
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm curious why people think it's so difficult to resell buyback-titled cars later down the road... Pretty sure the mileage and length of ownership by the second owner would be a clear indication that the issue(s) that caused the initial buyback were likely resolved or non-issues, and it's no better or worse than any other vehicle out there.

I've definitely heard of buybacks occurring because of folks with buyer's remorse making mountains out of molehills for the sole purpose of returning the vehicle. Hell, read through threads on this site and you'll find that some people complain incessantly about the most petty and insignificant things, like a wrinkle or two developing on a seat.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
I've made a few mistakes over the years and when it came to buying a car. All of them related to my fixation on getting a particular one because I'd already sold myself on the idea and common sense went out the window. I think you may be in the same position. All of us can understand the great desire to have a Z but if this car has had the kind of problems you've described, it will likely continue to do so. Even if you have a long warranty, it could end up in the shop for extended periods of time which will frustrate you. Unless you have a dealer service dept with several Vette techs, a mechanical repair can often take one to three weeks. And, if you go to sell it, that history will come back to haunt you because potential buyers are going to have the same doubts you are having. There's plenty of good cars in your budget out there with a clean history. My advice is to cool your jets a little and find the right car. What you're doing with this one is sort of like going after a beautiful girl while ignoring the fact that she may be "high maintenance" and will turn your life into a nightmare..

well the joke’s on you, sir because i always go after the beautiful high maintenance girl... I guess some people are just doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

but even if this car continues to have problems, no matter how many problems arise, it would all get fixed eventually wouldn’t it? In the grand scheme of things I really don’t mind having the car in the shop for weeks or even a month at a time because I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years. And honestly, I feel like having every option I want is more important than having the car being 100% mechanically and functionally sound as long as it can be repaired

edit: I guess what I’m saying is, as long as there’s an end to the repairs it needs I don’t care how arduous it is to get it there. My only real concern is having this car and then it has a problem that’s IMPOSSIBLE to fix. I don’t care if it has 15-20 problems as long as it can all go away. I’m just worried that it may have something severe like maybe the frame was misaligned when it was welded together and because of that discrepancy the whole car is all messed up

Last edited by LiuBearPig; 11-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Tort
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts

but even if this car continues to have problems, no matter how many problems arise, it would all get fixed eventually wouldn’t it? In the grand scheme of things I really don’t mind having the car in the shop for weeks or even a month at a time
You've already made up your mind then. Best of luck with your new "lemon".
Old 11-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Parcival
Drifting

just to be clear, this is a B2B? Power train warranty is not going to let u sleep at night, given your worries about catastrophic problems "that can't be fixed" above...

Last edited by Parcival; 11-16-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm pulling for ya man. I think it'll work out.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

If I get the extended warranty and the car starts having persisting issues that they can’t fix, would I still be able to make GM buy it back if it’s already a branded title?
I don't see the car having a branded title. It is just a GM buyback. Being a buyback doesn't really imply anything other than GM bought the car back. The biggest issue I think you have is getting the car back to where you live. That will add at least $1500 to the cost of the car. I don't see any car as ever developing persistent issues that can't be fixed. The so called issue was a leaking transmission. They could replace the complete transmission to get rid of any issues with a manufacturing defect that came from Tremec the transmission supplier. If I were you and the car was in the next county I wouldn't worry about the issues. However, going through the hassle of hauling it 2400 miles is what would make me look elsewhere. You may be able to find a similar GM buyback or a better deal much closer to you.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

well the joke’s on you, sir because i always go after the beautiful high maintenance girl... I guess some people are just doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

but even if this car continues to have problems, no matter how many problems arise, it would all get fixed eventually wouldn’t it? In the grand scheme of things I really don’t mind having the car in the shop for weeks or even a month at a time because I plan on keeping it for at least 10 years. And honestly, I feel like having every option I want is more important than having the car being 100% mechanically and functionally sound as long as it can be repaired

edit: I guess what I’m saying is, as long as there’s an end to the repairs it needs I don’t care how arduous it is to get it there. My only real concern is having this car and then it has a problem that’s IMPOSSIBLE to fix. I don’t care if it has 15-20 problems as long as it can all go away. I’m just worried that it may have something severe like maybe the frame was misaligned when it was welded together and because of that discrepancy the whole car is all messed up
You asked the forum for it's opinion and we have all offered advice and viewpoints trying to help you. I don't appreciate taking a few minutes out of my life to try to help you and then get some cutesy answer that "the jokes on me". Maybe you intended it as a joke after I read your edit but still, we're only trying to give you the help you asked for. It's your money and you should do whatever makes you happy. Just remember that beautiful girls often turn into old hags. You're fretting over this car too much...make a decision and live with it, good or bad.
Plstxmd (01-12-2019)
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't see the car having a branded title. It is just a GM buyback. Being a buyback doesn't really imply anything other than GM bought the car back. The biggest issue I think you have is getting the car back to where you live. That will add at least $1500 to the cost of the car. I don't see any car as ever developing persistent issues that can't be fixed. The so called issue was a leaking transmission. They could replace the complete transmission to get rid of any issues with a manufacturing defect that came from Tremec the transmission supplier. If I were you and the car was in the next county I wouldn't worry about the issues. However, going through the hassle of hauling it 2400 miles is what would make me look elsewhere. You may be able to find a similar GM buyback or a better deal much closer to you.

Bill
you are half correct Bill. It depends on which state it was originally purchased new from a dealer, and their lemon laws. Each state specifies what will occur on the title after a buyback. Many states, the dealers have to have customer sign a disclosure agreement waiver that the customer understands the car was a buyback. I think that waiver carries forward to any future sellers/buyers as well in some cases. Some states do carry a branded/salvage title. Find out what state the dealer was SOLD FROM originally (not titled originally, can be different as dealers can title cars out of their own states) and also find out which state's courts or BBB handled the buyback (usually same as state of original purchase/dealer).. and that will allow for us to track down the answer on "branded title" etc.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-17-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 AM
emperors61
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Pull the GMVIS report to see exactly what was done.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:22 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
You asked the forum for it's opinion and we have all offered advice and viewpoints trying to help you. I don't appreciate taking a few minutes out of my life to try to help you and then get some cutesy answer that "the jokes on me". Maybe you intended it as a joke after I read your edit but still, we're only trying to give you the help you asked for. It's your money and you should do whatever makes you happy. Just remember that beautiful girls often turn into old hags. You're fretting over this car too much...make a decision and live with it, good or bad.

it it was only a joke- one made in poor taste I suppose.
I value and appreciate everybody’s input, whether they agree with me or not
tertiumquid (11-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Parcival

just to be clear, this is a B2B? Power train warranty is not going to let u sleep at night, given your worries about catastrophic problems "that can't be fixed" above...

do you mean to say the bumper to bumper warranty doesn’t cover Powertrain? I thought they would be one in the same. If not this would be a huge issue
Old 11-17-2018, 12:02 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
who knows? Maybe I’ll put that 1,500 dollars (it was 1,800 when I got quoted) towards a full clear bra and just drive the bitch back to California

though im not so sure about the winter weather and the pilot sport cups
Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Parcival
Drifting

do you mean to say the bumper to bumper warranty doesn’t cover Powertrain? I thought they would be one in the same. If not this would be a huge issue
no I mean whether it might just be the lesser Powertrain only or whatever warranty.

b2b is what it is, only excludes essentially “wear and tear” so is the best u can get. Hard for me to believe someone would give u that long of a B2B for that little $.

Last edited by Parcival; 11-17-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this Z06 lemon?