C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Do realize that the extended warranty doesn't take effect for 30 days from purchase.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Which bay area? Frisco or Monterey? I assume Frisco,but PCH goes through the Monterey Bay too. I was stationed there back in the day when I went to language school in the early 00s.
San Francisco Bay Area.

Originally Posted by pkincy
Do realize that the extended warranty doesn't take effect for 30 days from purchase.
So after I buy the warranty I have to wait 30 days to get any work done? That’s strange
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Parcival

good deal I think for C7R. Amazed it was just $5k or so over what a my’16 3lz z07 with similar mileage goes for.

I’m glad you guys think it’s not a bad deal. Because truth be told, even if it wasn’t a good deal I still would’ve pulled the trigger; after what happened two months ago with the original Vette I had my eyes set on, I was searching online every day for the right 2016 yellow 3lz. I had come across one that was priced two dollars more than the one I ended up with. All the same options except full leather interior instead of suede and non-c7r. It had 10,000 less miles on it and it lasted 3 days on CarGurus. The same morning I discovered that car had been sold, I found the c7r and I told myself I was not about to feel that same shitty feeling for the third time in a row. And now here we are.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:17 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Here's a sneak peak at my itinerary

It's going to be a bitch to drive all the way back to California from Texas.. Some might even consider it a once in a lifetime chance because logically speaking I would never drive a car like that through such a perilous journey unless the circumstances made sense, but I digress.

We've never been to Texas before and since we'll be making a trip of the drive back, I was hoping for some travel tips, advice, tales of caution, suggestions on where to stop. Any input as always will be extremely welcome.
I will start a thread documenting the journey back if I think anyone would be interested enough to read it

What do you ladies and gentlemen think of the route? Albuquerque (Breaking Bad) and Grand Canyon are non-negotiable must-haves.

EDIT: as you can see, there really isnt anything planned east of Albuquerque- it's because I don't know of anything noteworthy in that area. So to my Texas-living fellow members: What's good?!

Last edited by LiuBearPig; 01-13-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:40 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig

It's going to be a bitch to drive all the way back to California from Texas.. Some might even consider it a once in a lifetime chance because logically speaking I would never drive a car like that through such a perilous journey unless the circumstances made sense, but I digress.

We've never been to Texas before and since we'll be making a trip of the drive back, I was hoping for some travel tips, advice, tales of caution, suggestions on where to stop. Any input as always will be extremely welcome.
I will start a thread documenting the journey back if I think anyone would be interested enough to read it

What do you ladies and gentlemen think of the route? Albuquerque (Breaking Bad) and Grand Canyon are non-negotiable must-haves.

EDIT: as you can see, there really isnt anything planned east of Albuquerque- it's because I don't know of anything noteworthy in that area. So to my Texas-living fellow members: What's good?!
in general, my view on owning one similar to yours ( Mine is not C7R trim though and it’s on Michelin PSS now but has color scheme, Brembo ceramic, PDR, etc) is expect to get attention and I would plan where I drive and park a little.

Rocky roads, bad pavement, narrow parking spaces and garages, low posts, sketchy valets, and bad neighborhoods are the enemy.

that’s a really long drive too!

Last edited by Parcival; 01-13-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 PM
snork
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

forget Dallas, drive through Austin, then head west from there to El Paso
The following users liked this post:
sgtcongo (01-24-2020)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Thought you were gonna go up PCH? You're taking the I-5 instead?? BRUH!!
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

First, congrats on your beautiful C7.R. It ended up working out for the best & no potential lemon car issues.

As for your route I would make the following change & head west from Houston.

• Head west on I-10. If you didn't have time for a detour up to Austin then at least I-10 would take you right through San Antonio. You could stop there & check out San Antonio's River Walk, the Alamo etc....
  • Then head west from there on I-10, toward El Paso.
  • When you get to Fort Stockton head north on 285 & head up to Carlsbad Cavern National Park & make a stop to check out Carlsbad Caverns
  • Then you can continue north on 285, which takes you through Roswell, NM. Roswell of course is big on their UFOs & aliens. Stop by & say hi to the aliens. Lol
  • After Roswell continue north on 285 until you get back to I-40 (your original route) & go west into Albuquerque & then continue the rest of your trip as planned.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 01-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Thought you were gonna go up PCH? You're taking the I-5 instead?? BRUH!!

if you’re driving this far, might as well take the scenic route... I5 route is extremely drab and you’re not going for time saving.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

I spent years in Houston and bought my C6Z in Austin, went to visit my folks in Houston and drove back to San Diego. I can't recommend your route particularly at this time of year. I don't know what tires you have on but snow and ice is likely on the Nothern route. You can do Albuquerque and the Grand Canyon some other time of year.

Head west on I10. It is about 13 hours to El Paso with stops so it is a long day. And not much going on between San Antonio and El Paso. So if you don't start at dawn, head over to San Antonio and have some barbecue. About 3.5 hours. Take off from San Antonio's West side the next morning to avoid traffic. You can easily make El Paso and I actually pressed on to Las Cruces, NM. That is about a 9 hour day. From LC to Phoenix is only about 6 hours, so a short day. Between Tucson and Phoenix you have a choice. Take the truck laden I10 or take the easy cruisin on I8. A much better drive, however you still have to navigate LA, so maybe the best is I10 to San Bernadino and then N on I15 to 138/14/138 to completely avoid LA. Stop in the Desert if you like. A great time of year for Palm Desert, Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage. Once you reconnect with I5 you know what to do. Cut over to PCH or quickly cruise up I5.

Recognize even with the southern route you can run into to some bad weather but much less likely than taking the northern route which is at much higher elevations that nearly guarantee snow and ice. Remember, Albuquerque and Flagstaff are both at over 5000 foot of elevation. Gonna be cold and could be nasty.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
elburrito99
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you need to actually purchase the extended warranty BEFORE the original manufacturer's warranty expires (if you want to get the Chevy extended warranty).

You got a great deal. Congratulations on getting a beautiful car. And don't believe what folks say about a bright yellow car. I drove a bright yellow sports car for 6 years and got no more tickets with that car than my other-colored cars.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM
Old Guys Rule
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I see a car that was originally delivered to a dealer in the Buffalo, NY area and then shipped cross country to California. Then I see low miles and some trips to the dealer for rear axle fluid change and brake pad change. Not a lot of miles and then another service. I don't see any hint of any issues based on the service history shown on CarFax. The car may have seen some track time which would account for the alignment, rear diff fluid change (OM says to change after first event and then after every 24 hours of track usage) and brake pad replacement at 4K miles. Not a lot of track time but some since the pads lasted 4K miles and over a year. With heavy track use a person would go through a set of front pads two or three times a year.

It is a manual transmission and there does tend to be some leakage that shows up every now and then. I know mine leaked at one event last year and after the trans was cleaned and covered with a leak detection coating it didn't leak again for another year. That might be why the car was bought back and then auctioned off at a GM dealer auction and shipped back to Wisconsin.

GM doesn't auction these cars off if there is something wrong with them. They are fixed first. I really don't see anything wrong with the car. As somebody said you could talk to a local dealership and see if they would print out the GM VIS records showing the repairs the car has had done to it.

Since the car is in Wisconsin and we are approaching the winter months when Corvette sales drop close to zero in that area the dealership management must be wondering if they are going to be stuck for the next 5 months with the 9 used Corvettes they have on hand. It might be the time to make a deal that will entice them. It isn't like somebody is going to come in the door in that time period looking to buy a Corvette. When you have to walk around in knee deep snow to look at Corvettes you usually don't bother.

bill

Ditto
Buy the car at a great price and enjoy it.............
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Congratulations! Do take it easy - minimize driving in the dark and drive SMOOTHLY and the Cup 2s won't betray you; don't speed in the curves if it's under 60F. If it snows in the higher elevations, hit the hotel and have fun with your girlfriend. If its raining, keep it under 70. I took a similar trip a long time ago in my Vette. I did get a speeding ticket because I forgot about the 85 speed limit not applying at night in Texas. Don't forget to read the owner's manual on the driving modes which may save your bacon if you run into trouble......

Last edited by billiam01; 01-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Why would a sane person would buy a GM certified Lemon?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by PLRX
Why would a sane person would buy a GM certified Lemon?
You're a little late to the party bo. Might want to skim the thread a bit...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:25 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

So true. Must have been in a time warp.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Cercone
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by snork
forget Dallas, drive through Austin, then head west from there to El Paso
Amen to that, much more scenic.

Last edited by Cercone; 01-15-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Old Guys Rule
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And no- I have definitely never driven anything with 650hp/650tq before. My previous car was a 2006 Lancer Evolution with ‘merely’ 289 lb/ft of torque so I’m certain this will be a huge transition. I once accidentally talked a wealthy friend of my fathers into getting a C7 A8 Stingray. I got to drive that around for a while and even that was quite a bit to handle. But I think having a manual transmission will help me stay conservative in my driving
Make sure your front wheels are pointed where you want to wind up B4 you punch it! Enjoy!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Good morning everybody.

Sorry I took so long to reply- it's been a busy hectic last few days running around making sure all my ducks are in a row before we leave for Texas in a few days
I have taken the time to read all of your responses at least twice and I have taken everything everyone has said into consideration so please excuse me for not quoting and responding to all of you individually;

Here's an updated map which includes the changes I have made in accordance to the suggestions and advice posted by you guys.

Our travel plan looks like this:

Jan 20: Fly to Houston and spend Sunday night relaxing near the airport area
Jan 21: Go to dealership and pick up z06 and hopefully have a clear bra installed in time to leave the next day
Jan 22: San Antonio. spend 6 year anniversary there
Jan 23: 6 year anniversary! no driving!
Jan 24: ????

That's all the official planning that's been done for now. We'll be stopping through Roswell and El Paso and any other fun spots along the way but I dont want to plan too far ahead and not be able to meet deadlines.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Sounds like a solid plan, in that it is a very flexible plan. Good call on not trying to rigidly stick to a schedule when the whole point is to enjoy the trip. I've enjoyed keeping up with your story as it's quite relate-able for me. Keep us posted on how it goes and make sure to find some great scenic spots with some nice sunsets to do some photo ops with the new Z. Wish I still had all the pics of my car when I was stationed in Monterey. I did a ton of photo ops on pebble beach and down 17 mile drive but have no idea where they are now, and now I live in SC, so it's not exactly a quick drive. You'll probably find some nice places near Roswell!

Quick Reply: Would you buy this Z06 lemon?