C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Sounds like a solid plan, in that it is a very flexible plan. Good call on not trying to rigidly stick to a schedule when the whole point is to enjoy the trip. I've enjoyed keeping up with your story as it's quite relate-able for me. Keep us posted on how it goes and make sure to find some great scenic spots with some nice sunsets to do some photo ops with the new Z. Wish I still had all the pics of my car when I was stationed in Monterey. I did a ton of photo ops on pebble beach and down 17 mile drive but have no idea where they are now, and now I live in SC, so it's not exactly a quick drive. You'll probably find some nice places near Roswell!
Thanks bro! It makes me happy to see those of you who have been keeping up with the thread all the way back from October/November. It feels like you guys were taking a part of this journey with me
and speaking of which, I think this chapter of the journey is about to be over and a new one will soon begin.

After I take possession of the z06, I will stop posting in this thread so that the title doesn't confuse anybody and make a new thread detailing the trip back.

I'll be bringing my Nikon D5000 and a GoPro Hero 7 Black with the suction cup accessory so expect plenty of photos!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Stay on the Riverwalk in San Antonio for sure. No need to divert back down to El Paso from Roswell...there is nothing there and avoidance is wise

I live in the Hill Country outside of San Antonio, feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Given a day and a half in SA I totally concur with a 2 night stay on the Riverwalk. Lots to do and see and a visit to the Alamo is right there.

Last edited by pkincy; 01-17-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

I had a conversation with Rich Wilhoff at Able Chevrolet today and bought my extended warranty. You should probably do a couple of things. First call a dealer local to Texas and see if they can sell you a GMEPP warranty given that you have a California address. It might be possible since you will physically be in Texas but I think it is not probable. California requires anyone selling warranties to Cal residents to have a Ca insurance license. So most of the salesman can't meet that standard. Also you might grab the vin of your soon to be new car and its current mileage and get on the phone and call some Ca dealers to see about buying that GMEPP extended warranty. I think you can buy up to the day the B2B runs out but Rich says it is more expensive because given the 30 day/1000 mile waiting period you are really getting the warranty started while you are out of the B2B. Rich is the Service Manager at Abel, not the finance guy but I bought my car from him new back in 16, so he was happy to help.

At any rate enjoy the trip and the new car.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:46 PM
vegasjunkie2004
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw this thread and wanted to give you a recommendation for a hotel on the riverwalk in san antonio. Hotel Contessa- wife and I got married there....it's right on the riverwalk and really beautiful. I would try to take highway 71 to Austin and check that city out before you head to San Antonio. Don't forget to get some BBQ while you're in Texas! Tejas bbq and chocolate factory in Tomball (Houston suburb) and LA barbeque in Austin would be my recommendations.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by vegasjunkie2004
Just saw this thread and wanted to give you a recommendation for a hotel on the riverwalk in san antonio. Hotel Contessa- wife and I got married there....it's right on the riverwalk and really beautiful. I would try to take highway 71 to Austin and check that city out before you head to San Antonio. Don't forget to get some BBQ while you're in Texas! Tejas bbq and chocolate factory in Tomball (Houston suburb) and LA barbeque in Austin would be my recommendations.
We booked at La Mansion
Old 01-17-2019, 10:01 PM
vegasjunkie2004
Instructor

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig
We booked at La Mansion
That's a real good hotel as well Don't forget to try some brisket while you're in Houston
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Hey guys quick question

what is the deal with the Michelin Cup 2s? Do you think they will be safe to drive all the way back home on?

A good friend of mine was driving today and hydroplaned and crashed and it made me extremely paranoid about the water displacing capabilities of the Cup 2 tires.

This is a very big concern for me. I know one of you guys addressed it earlier but I was hoping for some more input on the matter
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

The cars weather mode is very helpful when wet but clearly the Cup 2s are not a good tire to be driving in a rain storm. If you hit hard rain it is time to park it and let the rain let up. That is the main reason I recommended against the Northern route on I 40. To wet and cold. You should be pretty good shape the southern route unless you have bad luck. And if there is rain, just enjoy a few days more vacation.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

the car has about 15,500 miles on the clock. are these tires the second set or the first set on the end of their life cycle? because if it's the latter case I'll just suck it up and buy new tires. pilot super sports that can handle a little rain
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

bump
Old 01-18-2019, 07:00 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,169 Likes on 588 Posts

I don't have much advice on the tires other than to trust the dealer you bought the car from has already inspected the car and determined they have sufficient tread that they do not require replacing. I agree that taking your time and being diligent if you get caught in a downpour I would think you will be just fine.

Congratulations on the purchase. Fantastic car and you definitely made the right choice! Interestingly enough I had purchased a GM buyback from Van Horn Chevy here in WI 11 years ago. Used car buyers do not want cars with salvage titles which is what our state requires these cars be titled as. Your trip should be an awesome adventure. Have fun and looking forward to seeing photo's of the journey.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 AM
vegasjunkie2004
Instructor

I have the cup 2 tires and they aren't the best tire for inclement/cold weather. From the looks of your pics, you bought the car from corvette world houston? They have tires for sale there at usually a good price. I would ask them if maybe they could work out a deal for you since you're buying the car there.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

If those Cup 2s have 15.5k on it, they would be showing thread, no matter how carefully it was driven. It's most likely the 2nd set. Biggest thing if you hit rain is to slow down, don't use cruise control. As long as you're going 50 or less, you should be fine. If you do hit a bit of hydroplaning, it's quite correctable at that speed. Just ease off the gas (don't just completely let up, but reduce throttle) and the nannies will basically correct it for you. When I hydroplaned back at the end of September (you may recall at the beginning of this thread I was talking about my wreck and was looking for a new vette as I was worried mine was totaled[btw it's STILL in the shop] but ended up not), I had the cruise set, was doing 70, and my PSSs were on their last leg. Then when I did hydroplane, instead of letting the car correct itself, I just hit the clutch cuz I didn't trust the nannies. I feel confident I could have corrected it myself at 50, but 70 was just too fast. Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Give them a call and have them measure tread depth. It isn't much to begin with but if 4/32nds or below, I would have them put on MPSS ZPs. Then you will be able to go cross country without a problem. You can see on here how many Z07 drivers ditch those tires right away. Besides little tread they are harsher than the MPSS ZPs and are soft enough that they spend the day kicking up crap onto your car. So if it is economically feasible to add $2 grand to your purchase new tires will make you happy. And they might do the trade out for less than that as they can put the SCs on a car for a local guy that really wants them.

Do recognize the SC2s start out brand new at 5.7 and 5.9 32nds of tread depth. You have 7.4 and 7.8 32nds on the MPSS ZPs with more tread area also.

I ran two sets of wheels with MPSS ZPs and MPSS SC2s for a time, using the SC2s in the summer months when it doesn't rain here in SoCal. I ended up selling the 2nd set of wheels and the SCs. Nice stick but too much downside to enjoy them unless you are at Infineon, Buttonwillow, or Thunderhill.

Last edited by pkincy; 01-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LiuBearPig (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:55 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Good evening everybody

We just woke up from a nap after checking in to our hotel room.
The flight over here was trouble-free.
Tomorrow morning I will be heading to Corvette World Houston to pick up my dream car
Once I get the car and start heading out I will create a new thread documenting the journey for those who are interested

I will provide a link to that thread here after I start it and from there we can finally let this misleading titled thread retire

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just wanted to thank everybody one last time who contributed their thoughts and opinions.
Your guidance and knowledge- as well as those who answered all my dumb questions over the last 12 years- were detrimental to me achieving my ultimate goal.

Thank you all and I hope to see you on the next thread!

- LiuBearPig
Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by LiuBearPig
Good evening everybody

We just woke up from a nap after checking in to our hotel room.
The flight over here was trouble-free.
Tomorrow morning I will be heading to Corvette World Houston to pick up my dream car
Once I get the car and start heading out I will create a new thread documenting the journey for those who are interested

I will provide a link to that thread here after I start it and from there we can finally let this misleading titled thread retire

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I just wanted to thank everybody one last time who contributed their thoughts and opinions.
Your guidance and knowledge- as well as those who answered all my dumb questions over the last 12 years- were detrimental to me achieving my ultimate goal.

Thank you all and I hope to see you on the next thread!

- LiuBearPig
Well I hope we were more instrumental than detrimental ;-)

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy this Z06 lemon?

Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Have a great trip and enjoy the new ride!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Well I hope we were more instrumental than detrimental ;-)
Semantics! The point is you guys are all awesome!

Anyways, time to go to bed. Tomorrow is a big day 🙂
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 AM
LiuBearPig
Racer

Can’t sleep. Too excited. I just remembered Houston had a huge flood recently and a ton of cars were ruined by water damage. Now here I am about to buy a car from Houston. I’ve already ran a carfax report on the vehicle and it didn’t show anything unusual. Do you guys think that’s enough to be sure that this corvette wasn’t affected by the flood??

Quick Reply: Would you buy this Z06 lemon?