C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 shudder update

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

There no longer is a triple flush and new filter. It is a single flush and clean the old filter. We will get a new procedure end of 1st Qtr 2019.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
joemessman (11-22-2018), Nghia Vu (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Nghia Vu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
It depends on how bad the problem is. Generally, they will go for the triple flush first and see if it cures it. That's what we did with mine but it didn't fix the problem. I went back to them with a complete written description of what was happening along with a copy of the TSB that describes the conditions for the TC change and exactly what the procedure is. I made sure the tech got all of the paperwork and my description of the problem. Let them do the triple flush and see what happens. If it comes back, do as I advised above. It's more of a situation of telling them what they have to do as opposed to asking them.

How many miles on the car? What year is it? Did you get it from the dealer that's servicing it?
i have 28k miles and its 2016 z51 and they are not the dealer that i bought the car from( the one i bought from ( it's too far for me, i get it bc they have good deal on it)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:05 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

Mine was serviced by my local dealer (I bought the car from out of state). Yours is still under the B to B warranty so there should be no issue. As noted in a previous post, the TSB was updated on 10/18/18 and the triple flush is no longer done. They will do a flush and clean filter but “the fix” is supposed to arrive the 1st quarter of 2019.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:09 PM
jcchevy
Pro

Received 248 Likes on 105 Posts

In accordance with the TSB, they will drive the vehicle to determine if the condition exists. The new TSB says to NOT change the TC so it will not be changed because you requested it. The dealer will follow the latest TSB (10/18/18) and do as it directs.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

It depends on how bad the problem is. Generally, they will go for the triple flush first and see if it cures it. That's what we did with mine but it didn't fix the problem. I went back to them with a complete written description of what was happening along with a copy of the TSB that describes the conditions for the TC change and exactly what the procedure is. I made sure the tech got all of the paperwork and my description of the problem. Let them do the triple flush and see what happens. If it comes back, do as I advised above. It's more of a situation of telling them what they have to do as opposed to asking them.

How many miles on the car? What year is it? Did you get it from the dealer that's servicing it?
What is the TSB # you are referring to? I'd like to read the test procedure, diagnosis, recommendations, and revision history. TIA.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:47 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 639 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

What is the TSB # you are referring to? I'd like to read the test procedure, diagnosis, recommendations, and revision history. TIA.
Look at post #45 in this thread. It gives the link for the TSB.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:17 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcchevy
In accordance with the TSB, they will drive the vehicle to determine if the condition exists. The new TSB says to NOT change the TC so it will not be changed because you requested it. The dealer will follow the latest TSB (10/18/18) and do as it directs.
If you read through yhis TSB carefully, you can read between thelines and see that while the techs conduct the pico scope test that if both Test Mode B & C produce the following test results then this TSB does not offer any recommendations for proceeding with any type of fix. One can assume the unwritten recommendation would be to replace the torque converter as others have reported having done.

If Mode B Result is:

Vibration Shudder is Present with TCC Disabled

and Mode C Result is:

or Vibration Shudder is Present with TCC Enabled

Then the Shudder root cause is not TCC related.

The TSB offers "No Proposed solution" by GM. <-- my words here.

also what is interesting about this TSB is it is to be conducted in V4 ECO Mode only per TSB.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:48 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD

If you read through yhis TSB carefully, you can read between thelines and see that while the techs conduct the pico scope test that if both Test Mode B & C produce the following test results then this TSB does not offer any recommendations for proceeding with any type of fix. One can assume the unwritten recommendation would be to replace the torque converter as others have reported having done.

If Mode B Result is:

Vibration Shudder is Present with TCC Disabled

and Mode C Result is:

or Vibration Shudder is Present with TCC Enabled

Then the Shudder root cause is not TCC related.

The TSB offers "No Proposed solution" by GM. <-- my words here.

also what is interesting about this TSB is it is to be conducted in V4 ECO Mode only per TSB.
Interesting that the test should only be in V4 and that sort of directly links the problem to the AFM system that a lot of us have concluded, hence the addition of a Range module. BTW, I had my TC replaced under warranty just two weeks ago for the problem and the dealer didn't put up any resistance to it. Shudder is now gone and the range module is in...permanently.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Interesting that the test should only be in V4 and that sort of directly links the problem to the AFM system that a lot of us have concluded, hence the addition of a Range module. BTW, I had my TC replaced under warranty just two weeks ago for the problem and the dealer didn't put up any resistance to it. Shudder is now gone and the range module is in...permanently.
It is my understanding that any replacement of the torque converter would have been approved by GM's engineers. This tells me your TC replacement was due to some other source than the TCC related shudder. It still could be related to the AFM though. Please keep us up-to-date with your new TC. Hope things work out.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:27 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD

It is my understanding that any replacement of the torque converter would have been approved by GM's engineers. This tells me your TC replacement was due to some other source than the TCC related shudder. It still could be related to the AFM though. Please keep us up-to-date with your new TC. Hope things work out.
No, honestly it was the shudder and it was a call-back because the triple flush didn't work for more than six weeks. The dealer just accepted my request and didn't even drive it to confirm it the second time around. To be fair, I was well armed with data and as a repeat buyer from them, I suppose it gave me some extra clout. You're right though, on the GM engineering OK which I just assumed they had gotten. I had the MRC update done at the same time for the $350...well worth it.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 AM
01Defense
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

I am scheduled to bring my ride in Monday and was informed it takes about 4 hours. What's the MRC update?
bringe (01-17-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01Defense
I am scheduled to bring my ride in Monday and was informed it takes about 4 hours. What's the MRC update?
Magnetic Ride Control. It's a software upgrade to give a noticeable change in ride quality and handling. It's initially sort of deceiving because it takes some time and about 200 miles of driving for it to be fully functional but all of a sudden you become aware of a much more civilized driving experience. Well worth the 350 bucks IMO.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 01Defense
For owners of 2014-2016 C7 Corvettes, Chevy announced all-new calibrations for cars equipped with the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) system. C7 Corvette Z06 models equipped with the FE6 or FE7 suspensions systems; the cars receive new “Track” modes.

The changes for various C7 Corvettes are as follows:

2014-16 Stingray with Z51 features new calibrations in Tour and Sport modes.
2016 Stingray (non-Z51) features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes.
2015-16 Z06 (non-Z07) features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes.
2015-16 Z06 with Z07 Performance Package features new calibrations in Tour, Sport and Track modes.

During testing for the new calibrations, Chevy said the 2016 C7 Corvette Z06 lapped the Milford Road Course one second quicker than before the calibrations. The calibrations will cost $350 and require no hardware changes. The calibration is a simple upload to the vehicle that dealers can perform with no effect on the factory warranty.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:29 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

We have seen the 10/11/18 update to TSB 16-NA-175. On the CTS-V forum a post was made referencing a Dec TSB for the 8L90 shudder 18-NA-355. It wasn't posted. If anyone could access it and post the pdf it would be appreciated. Supposedly a new fluid to be available shortly. I presume it will be for all A8s or at least for all the 8L90s.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:54 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
We have seen the 10/11/18 update to TSB 16-NA-175. On the CTS-V forum a post was made referencing a Dec TSB for the 8L90 shudder 18-NA-355. It wasn't posted. If anyone could access it and post the pdf it would be appreciated. Supposedly a new fluid to be available shortly. I presume it will be for all A8s or at least for all the 8L90s.
Here is the latest TSB from 10-11-18
Attached Images
Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

As I stated that we have. Has anyone been able to get the new one?? 18-NA-355. The one you have was first published in 2016 and is 16-NA-175 as updated on Oct 11, 2018. The new one was published 12-12-18.

Last edited by pkincy; 01-04-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Not the new TSB, but this is the announcement it is coming.

Originally posted by GM Technical Assistance Center
8 Speed Torque Converter Shudder – New Service Procedure and New Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP Fluid Regional Rollout

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY
DATE12/12/2018SUBJECT8 Speed Torque Converter Shudder – New Service Procedure and New Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP Fluid Regional RolloutMODELS8L45 and 8L90 ApplicationsTOAll Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC DealersATTNService Manager, Service Director, Shop Foreman, Service Technician, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Warranty Administrator, General Manager
A new transmission fluid exchange procedure and new formula of Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid is being released to address torque converter shudder on 8L45 and 8L90 applications. The procedure and new transmission fluid is being rolled out regionally due to the limited availability of both the new transmission fluid and tool kit availability. The dealer rollout was determined by paid warranty claims from TSB 16-NA-175. It is anticipated that the new transmission fluid and tool kit will be available nationwide by late January or early February 2019. Once the new transmission fluid and tool kit is available the detailed service procedure will be loaded into GM Service Information (SI) as a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB). TSB's 16-NA-175 and 18-NA-177 will be eliminated from SI. An additional Global Connect Message will be sent to announce these changes.

Selected dealers will receive a separate Global Connect Message this week advising how to obtain the new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid, delivery of the no charge tool kit from Bosch and detailed service procedure.

The new fluid exchange procedure will require the use of the existing DT-45096 TransFlow machine and tool kit. The tool kit will ship from Bosch at no charge.

The December 2018 Emerging Issues Broadcast, course number 10218.12V will be available through the Center of Learning on Thursday, December 13. The broadcast contains a video demonstrating the procedure on a Chevrolet Colorado and details on the new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid.

The detailed service procedure may seem complicated at first review. However, we are confident that once you've completed the procedure you will find it relatively easy.

Proper Diagnosis: Sometimes shudder is not caused by the torque converter clutch (TCC). In some instances, shudder is fish bite, chuggle, surge or vibration. Utilizing the GDS and or the PICO Scope will help confirm the issue is TCC shudder. We have seen cases of suspected TCC shudder turn out to be engine performance, tire/wheel vibration or a driveline vibration.

Please do not contact the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) seeking information on when the new Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid and tool kit will be available nationwide. TAC does not have any additional information.

For those dealers that are not among the initial selected group. Please continue to follow 16-NA-175 and 18-NA-177 until the new service procedure is available nationwide. We are working diligently to get the new service solution available to all dealers and will advise through an additional Global Connect message once available.

Thank you for your cooperation.

GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES
The following 3 users liked this post by pkincy:
joemessman (01-16-2019), tertiumquid (01-16-2019), Vegas1500 (01-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To A8 shudder update

Old 01-16-2019, 09:02 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for the update. I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed that the "fix" is another fluid flush
pkincy (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

New fluid formula they're getting closer. Good news.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Anyone have a list of the dealers with access and doing the new procedure?

Quick Reply: A8 shudder update