C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 shudder update

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Tsb 18-na-355

copy of the TSB at post 28 in this link..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a8-flush.html
Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Default Warranty issue?

Had the fluids changed under previous TSB back a month or two, while vehicle still in the bumper-to-bumper warranty period. Just checked with my dealer about doing the new fluids and he stated that since vehicle is out of B-2-B warranty not sure GM will cover it, that TSB's are typically only covered during the B-2-B period.. WHAT!

He's going to check with his rep and get back to me at which point if they are trying to get out of doing it I'm going to remind them we have a 5 year powertrain warranty.

So to all the experts on this forum, are TSB's typically only applicable (covered by warranty) while in B-2-B warranty period?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by azcanuk; 01-29-2019 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GhostBluZ06 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:19 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Powertrain covers the POWERTRAIN. So dumb.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:36 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Default Bunch of BS...

Just talked with the service writer at the dealership where I had the original flush done.

Because my Z is now out of B-2-B warranty, they WILL NOT do TSB 18-NA-355 for the new fluids. Even thou they (the dealer) and GM are aware of the A8 issue that unless I have a complete failure of the TC (which would be covered under the Powertrain warranty) they are not going to replace the fluids.

So I have two years left on my powertrain warranty to burn up my TC... what a bunch of BS.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:47 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

The valve guide problems drove me to get an extended GM warranty on my 08 Z. The TC drove me to get an extended warranty on my 16 Z. And even if these known problems don't happen there are a host of unknown problems that might crop up. I traded the 08 in late 16 about 8 months before that ext warranty would go away. I likely will trade/sell my 16 Z in 2024 when my current extended warranty will expire. At the price of extended warranties on our cars why not. I did not buy an extended warranty on my 05 M3 since it would have cost me 4-5 times the cost of a Corvette extended warranty. As cheap as our extended warranties are it is easy to make that decision.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:36 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Default Range AFM

Looking to purchase the Range AFM and have a couple of places that can order from.

Anyone with a recent purchase (the latest and greatest) can you tell me what the Part Number is?

Also, members using them, what color of display do you have, wondering how bright it is under the dash. When plugged into the OBD does the light shine forward or backward?

Thanks moocho!

Last edited by azcanuk; 01-31-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Just talked with the service writer at the dealership where I had the original flush done.

Because my Z is now out of B-2-B warranty, they WILL NOT do TSB 18-NA-355 for the new fluids. Even thou they (the dealer) and GM are aware of the A8 issue that unless I have a complete failure of the TC (which would be covered under the Powertrain warranty) they are not going to replace the fluids.

So I have two years left on my powertrain warranty to burn up my TC... what a bunch of BS.
yeah. You need another dealer. Cause that one is sticking it to you.

it is not a maintenance item

that is a repair that GM came up with to rectify the issue you're having

it has nothing to do with bumper to bumper or Powertrain it's technically covered by both

the proper functioning of the transmission is covered by both Bumper to Bumper until expires and then the powertrain warranty

whoever you're talking to is a moron.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Looking to purchase the Range AFM and have a couple of places that can order from.

Anyone with a recent purchase (the latest and greatest) can you tell me what the Part Number is?

Also, members using them, what color of display do you have, wondering how bright it is under the dash. When plugged into the OBD does the light shine forward or backward?

Thanks moocho!
Just go to the Range website and it's easy to find the module for your Z. Get the latest model. It'll cost around $175. There are 2 or 3 LED colors you can get. Mine is red. The light shines out and down but you will never even see it unless you literally get out of the seat and look under the dash. It works great. Just make sure you buy it from Range...not eBay or Amazon. Takes 2 seconds to install or remove
Old 02-01-2019, 07:37 AM
C7X46
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

It doesn't matter what version of the range you have as long as you install a timer relay to cut it on and off.
I did this @ 235 miles, no TC issues, no CEL, now @ 12K miles

Last edited by C7X46; 02-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7X46
It doesn't matter what version of the range you have as long as you install a timer relay to cut it on and off.
Have seen where vendors selling the units are still stocking older versions so if going to buy may as well buy direct from Range and get most current. The other vendors are discounting the price but I'm willing to pay a bit more, get a current model and order direct from Range.

Also, car is always on a battery tender whenever it's in the garage so shouldn't have (or wouldn't think I would) any issues with the Range unit running down the battery.

Considering calling GM Customer Service about the new TSB and my issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

azcanuk: I just got a "Range" a couple months ago directly from Range.Very nice people to deal with and the unit works great. As said above, you actually have to look under to see the light. Mine is blue and flashes when I start the car which I do see on start-up; after that, never see it from a driving position. I can say this, night and day difference driving the car without the switching back and forth to the V-4 mode. I have 38K on my 2015 A8 Stingray and so far am fortunate to never have the dreaded shutter, but bought the range just for peace of mind. I highly recommend it if for nothing else but the getting rid of the crappy AFM. Plus in my case, you can take it with you as I'm actively searching for a nice Z06 to replace the current car.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:19 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Originally Posted by kenownr
I just got a "Range" a couple months ago directly from Range.
Yup, just completed the order directly from Range, BLUE LED's... don't need the aggravation of trying to get the TSB issue resolved with GM Customer service so went with the "easy fix".. Had the flush done a month ago with about 5K on the car so between that flush and the Range I should be good to go for a while without TC issues.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:35 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7X46
You don't need a timer relay with the new models. No sense in trying to save a few bucks with an older version.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

Thanks moocho!

The LED's face towards the driver. I got the blue LED's as I figured they would be the darkest and I do not notice them at night. If you order from the Range site, you will get 10% discount and the latest software. I plugged it in in July before I left the dealer.

Last edited by Michael T*; 02-02-2019 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
azcanuk (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T*
The LED's face towards the driver. I got the blue LED's as I figured they would be the darkest and I do not notice them at night. If you order from the Range site, you will get 10% discount and the latest software. I plugged it in in July before I left the dealer.
This is very good information and I would completely agree with this post. Many horror stories out there about previous model Range units and problems associated with using them. The factory model is the very best, most current model. Their price with the discount makes them completely competitive to the various retail stores, but buying directly from the factory seems to be the winning ticket. Don't be stupid cheap with this item, get the best.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:49 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tzoid9
This is very good information and I would completely agree with this post. Many horror stories out there about previous model Range units and problems associated with using them. The factory model is the very best, most current model. Their price with the discount makes them completely competitive to the various retail stores, but buying directly from the factory seems to be the winning ticket. Don't be stupid cheap with this item, get the best.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Ruderegime
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 101 Posts

I got the latest model from range in red and I don't notice the lights at all.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 shudder update

Old 02-04-2019, 10:14 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Delivered in 2 days! Great service ordering directly Range. Didn't have a 10% discount on the website but did offer $10 off plus free delivery. Will get it installed in next day or two and check it out!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:14 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I have 2 C7's with the A8. The 15' Z51 that I bought new had a T/C replaced in 2016 at around 7,500 mi. I believe this T/C was the first of several replacement part #s GM came out with. After about another 7,500 miles the shudder came back. At that time the dealer replaced the tranny fluid. It was not flushed several times. As of last fall when I put it in storage at 20,000 mi, I did not seem to have any issues. Fortunately I will have all summer to hopefully get the right fix.

I purchased a 16' A8 used in Sept. 2018 to use in FL. This vehicle had 34,000 miles on it but was in exceptional condition. The former owner claimed to have had no issues with the car, and no drivetrain warranty work. We immediately drove the car on a 1,700 mi trip where I did not experience any shudder. Most of this was on interstates and at highway speeds. I then put it in storage for 6 weeks till we came back to FL for the winter. The first time I drove it at speed limit on I-75 I got the feeling the road was rough. When locking out the V-4 the ride smoothed out..The shudder feeling is definitely somewhat different from that I experienced in the Z51, but I believe that is due to the base rear end vs the Z51 electronic one.

Hendrick Chevy in Naples has scheduled my fluid fix in mid-March, almost 8 weeks after I made the appointment as they have so many A8's to flush. Guess anyone with an A8, from Pickups, SUV's and Camaros and Vettes are all victims. Service advisor swears that the tranny is fine, and this is just a T/C problem.

I'm very concerned that this will just be another patch-work attempt and that the real issue can't be solved. Hope not to have to replace T/C again on either car as it takes almost a week and requires over 20 hrs labor and requires the entire rear suspension and drivetrain, including the torque tube to be removed. Also, do I push for my 15' in Iowa to be re-flushed with latest fluids and process?

It seems to me that eventually there will be a class action suit considering all of these issues.

As for a range tool, or a tune that eliminates the V-4 mode, I did that on both my Pontiac G8's early on. One still has this tune, while the other has a DOD delete and is otherwise modded. So far I have not had any issues with the DOD delete tune while keeping the DOD system in the engine. However, my son who had a G8 and a second ECM that deleted the DOD, had the DOD lifters fail a week before his 5 year warranty ended. Fortunately he had the stock ECM so got it repaired. So... are we going to have DOD failures if we tune it out? Those 4 lifters are having to switch on and off, so at sometime it seems to me that they are also a week link.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

TSBs have nothing to do with a warranty. They are recommended procedures to resolve specific service issues. They cover everything from how to properly do required paperwork to major component replacements. Some may be nothing more than telling the repair shop to tell the Customer it is Normal. Outside of the B2B warranty if you want fluid exchange done you pay for it yourself whether or not there is a TSB saying that is how a problem is resolved. Sort of depends on how good of a Customer you are. Not just how much business you give them but how well you treat them.

Bill

Quick Reply: A8 shudder update