C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 shudder update

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:12 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
You don't need a timer relay with the new models. No sense in trying to save a few bucks with an older version.
I can second this comment as being spot on. I bought my new Range unit about 2 weeks ago and asked that very question....do you have to disconnect it or be sure you have the ca hooked up to a battery tender. Range told me the new one would not draw down your battery.
The following users liked this post:
azcanuk (02-04-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
TSBs have nothing to do with a warranty.
Bill
Exactly!

They attempted to correct the issue under the previous TSB but now that I'm out of the B2B warranty won't do the flush as recommended in the new TSB.. claiming it's no longer under warranty, which it isn't a warranty issue in the first place.

Last edited by azcanuk; 02-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I expect they will do the flush but it will be on you not GM. Now many brands will continue to warranty an unfixed issue even after the B2B expires. However I wouldn't really expect this from Chevrolet.

This is not something you couldn't do yourself particularly if you or a friend has a lift. And for others, this flush being free or for a $100 deductible pays for half of your extended warranty. I paid about a grand or a bit over to get my warranty out to a total of 7 years plus a few months and up to 60,000 miles. Very good value I expect.

Last edited by pkincy; 02-05-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 AM
GhostBluZ06
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by azcanuk
Exactly!

They attempted to correct the issue under the previous TSB but now that I'm out of the B2B warranty won't do the flush as recommended in the new TSB.. claiming it's no longer under warranty, which it isn't a warranty issue in the first place.
Warranty...smh. and to think now thanks to stuff like this, you have fellow members thinking its ok, just get a buddy and a lift lol. Guess if theres a TSB out for a airbag, you better get a friend and mess with a AIRBAG INSTALL 😑 . Not that there would but im trying to make a point...
The following users liked this post:
tzoid9 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Exactly!

Ask them to refer to page 28 of 29 of the new TSB. It specifically mentions the warranty in effect being the powertrain warranty not the B2B warranty and authorizes 24 quarts of fluid and 1.6 hours of labor for the Corvette. That should cover most C7s.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
azcanuk (02-28-2019), NSC5 (03-20-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:18 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Exactly!

AZ,
Had mine done free under 16-NA-175 by Watson Chev. in Tucson on 12/5/18. My delivery date was 9/1/15 and is a 2016 model.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:13 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Correct. Page 28 of 29 of the new TSB states it is a powertrain warranty item and lays out the labor hours to be charge for the Corvette and the CT6 under the PT warranty.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
Ask them to refer to page 28 of 29 of the new TSB. It specifically mentions the warranty in effect being the powertrain warranty not the B2B warranty and authorizes 24 quarts of fluid and 1.6 hours of labor for the Corvette. That should cover most C7s.
Sent the service writer at the dealership an email with a copy of page 28 from the TSB. Asked him to check with his manager again about having this done .. thanks for information, will see where this leads.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:23 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Here is a link to the GM Techlink Article on the Shudder: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

For those that want to save it. Go in the link and go to the right side. Under Print Edition there is a link called Print Archives. Click on that link. Than click on January B 2019. That will give you the Mid January Techlink pdf. You can print it out or save it as a pdf. Page 5 is the article on Shudder.

And don't miss that the new TSB requires that you have the shudder and that it can be replicated by the dealer with a PicoScope or GDS2 and that print out needs to be sent in with the repair order or they don't get paid for doing the flush.

Last edited by pkincy; 03-03-2019 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:28 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I had mine done last week at Hendrick in Naples. Car is a 16' with 36,500 miles (purchased used). No Cost to me. However, they were so backed up that I had to wait 7 weeks for flush, from when I asked for it done.I feel that not only is the shudder gone, the tranny is shifting much better than before.

Thinking I need to have this done to my 15' that's in Iowa. It had a Torque Converter replaced in 16' and fluid replaced in early 18' when shudder started again.However, the fluid replacement did not include a full 24 qt. flush. When that car went into storage in Oct. with approximately 18,000 mile on ODO., I did not experience issues. At he time of the flush last year, I was told the tranny fluid being used was an upgraded type. Guess the newest Mobil 1 tranny fluid is another updated fluid.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:00 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Sent the information to the service writer where I've been having my Corvettes serviced... Autonation Chevrolet, Superstition Springs Blvd, Mesa AZ... didn't hear a word back from them. Guess it's time to find another dealer that's interested in servicing our autos.

Have bought from them before but guess that's also done with, the ZR1 or C8 order will go to someone more deserving.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:40 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Sent the information to the service writer where I've been having my Corvettes serviced... Autonation Chevrolet, Superstition Springs Blvd, Mesa AZ... didn't hear a word back from them. Guess it's time to find another dealer that's interested in servicing our autos.

Have bought from them before but guess that's also done with, the ZR1 or C8 order will go to someone more deserving.
It is irritating to have this happen but...if you really want to get action, get through to the dealer's General Manager. Usually, there's a couple of gate keepers that try to screen you out but once you get to see him with a legitimate complaint, 9 times out of 10, your problem will be solved and quickly. And, people in the service department will now be fearful of giving you anything but white glove handling. I admit it's often easier to vote with your feet but often the guy at the top is completely unaware of problems down below because he never hears about them from customers... the only indicator of a service dept problem is loss of new sales and that's not seen until a lot of customer service damage is done. Speaking from my own work experience of managing businesses, I am always available to talk to an angry customer because it's usually a small matter that can be fixed right away. The customer is pleased and comes back and I get the opportunity to ferret out the bad practices or employees and get rid of them. Bottom line is if you're willing to go to the top, you're doing a favor to the General Manager.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:04 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I did not purchase either of my C7's from Hendrick, Naples.... I do believe the 16' was originally purchased thru a Charlotte, NC Hendrick dealer. My 15' was special ordered by my wife and me from Stingray Chevy in Plant City, as they were the only ones in FL at that time that would give the "Friends and Family discount". Hendrick purchased the Naples Chevy dealership in late 2015. They have given me great service, so I recommend them highly for repairs and warranty work.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
you do not need a torque converter replacement unless the clutch is that far gone...the new LV fluid in a TC that has minimal wear (mine was around 5k miles) fixes the problem. i've constructed a thread addressing this issue with the explanation from an engineer from the plant and corvette tech who rebuilds the A8's (and all other GM trans's when needed) and also bracket races a twin turbo C5.

the true correct fix is to reprogram the pulsing of the clutch which from what i understand even happens slightly while IN V8 mode..

Maybe chevy will surprise us in the next few months with a new trans program that cures this issue.
<<<
Has this happened yet?

Quick Reply: A8 shudder update