C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

R888/R888Rs in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:16 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Had to look up tail of the dragon as I've never heard of that before. Looks like a fun area to take some corners. I'm absolutely shocked you could pull .9Gs on a wet road though, regardless of where it is. I would have never thought that possible on the PSSs. Hell I turn into my neighborhood too fast and the *** end goes slipping out with the traction control going crazy trying to correct. Maybe it's just my power application.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:31 AM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Drove back from VIR with 18” R888R’s (315F/335R) in the pouring rain and standing water on the highway. Scared the hell out of me. Car kept pulling into every puddle. No bueno. Wet roads are not an issue at all though.

Last tire I had that kicked *** in the rain was GY GS3’s. They stuck like glue. Actually had a guy spin out trying to follow me around a corner in my 2004 CTS-V. That might be the last time GY made that tire.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Yeah that standing water will getcha on most tires. It's definitely scary. Looked up that goodyear tire. Looks like they still make it, but it's called GSD3. Given the tread patter, I can certainly see it clearing some water, but they biggest they make it now is a 295/30/18 according to tirerack, which is way to narrow and too small a rim
Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM
NTMD8R
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Again, talking about the Conti ECS tires....
Ask most serious autocrossers which tires is best in the rain for autocross.... Hoosier H20....
then ask which is second best... Conti ECS.

And they are also very good in the dry.

Last edited by NTMD8R; 10-31-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Again, talking about the Conti ECS tires....
Ask most serious autocrossers which tires is best in the rain for autocross.... Hoosier H20....
then ask which is second best... Conti ECS.

And they are also very good in the dry.
I appreciate the feedback, but honestly there are only 2 tires I'd get at this point. The R888s/R888Rs or the factory PSSs since I can get them in run flats. I'm not looking for what overall tire is best in the rain, just whether the Toyos hold up as well as the Michelins because I know they're FAR better for 0-60/60ft times and that's what I want. I'm asking (as the name of the thread indicates) how the Toyos perform in the wet. I don't care about any other tires, wet or dry.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Well, let me amend that. If there's a tire that gets the dry launching traction of a drag radial AND is better in the rain than the PSSs, I would definitely like to hear about that, but I don't think that exists
Old 10-31-2018, 02:44 PM
MJC611
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I worked up to those cornering speeds on the roads going to the Tail of the Dragon, there are some great roads in that area that don't have much traffic. The tires are nearly new, camber is .5 to .6 negative all around and rear caster is +.6 (some think that matters). The only time the rear got loose was coming out of a corner when accelerating too hard. At Spring Mountain we practiced emergency braking and turns on wet pavement, so I knew the tires performed well. I'm not a drag racer, hope you find tires that meet your needs.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

I don't really drive in the rain, but have been caught once in a while, and driving normal was not an issue...
Old 11-02-2018, 04:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Between Google search and browsing/searching the forum here, I've found a ton of stuff about R888s and R888Rs, and some of that does include mention of driving in the rain. The general sentiment is "don't do it" but that also seems to be the general sentiment of the factory PSS/SC2s, so I have to take that with a grain of salt. I've seen a few videos of people driving with the R888Rs in the rain, but they gun it and when they get wheel spin, they're like "oh this tire is terrible in the rain". Obviously when you're putting down the torque a C7 Z06 puts down, you can't use the throttle as an on/off switch even in dry weather much less rain. What I'm looking for is anyone that has real experience driving in rain or just wet roads with the R888Rs and how they compare to the PSSs. Do you seem to hydroplane more often? Does the rear end slide out easier around a corner? My Z06 is my daily driver so "you shouldn't drive in the rain with these cars" is just going to fall on deaf ears. I've got to replace 2 wheels and I need new tires, so I figured I could get the R888Rs in the 345/30/19s and call it a win. I think the R888s would be better for wet, but it appears they've discontinued it the 19/20 sizes for our car, so I guess that's out (unless someone knows differently?). Any actual experience with these tires in the wet being shared would be greatly appreciated.
Your comment about people nailing the throttle, getting wheel spin and thinking a tire doesn't have grip is right on. On the streets and highways the stock tires (either the PSS ZPs or the PS Cup2 ZPs will work just fine in the wet). I live in Charlotte and purchased my 15Z in Raleigh on 40 degree evening with pouring rain. With the Cup 2s I was able to drive 75 mph most of the 167 miles home. When I was hitting puddles of standing water due to the truck grooves on I40 I had to slow to 65 due to the car pulling to one side or the other. Once I moved the car to the left so the left side tires were riding on the dividing line I didn't hit many puddles and resumed driving 75 mph. Not a slip or slide and I kept on driving with the Cup2s for close to two years when went to PSS ZPs. If you know how to drive you can get along fine with the stock tires. If you don't know how to drive none of the tires on the market are able to keep from spinning if a person nails the throttle on a stock Z06 at the wrong time. The engine torque level from 1000 rpm to 5000 rpm is large and by going from part throttle to wide open throttle suddenly that torque is what breaks the grip. Most people who drive on snowy/icy roads understand this and don't have the tire problems that people who don't have that experience have.

Bill
Old 11-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Cobra2Z
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have R888Rs on just the rear of my Z and got
caught in some light rain (little to no standing water that I can remember) and it handled just fine. I actually was coming on to an open road and got in the middle with no cars around and gave it a little bit of gas and didn’t spin at all. Again, no where close to half throttle but enough for me to be surprised it didn’t break loose. I also had a pair of R888s (slightly different tread pattern) on an 03 cobra making 600+ hp/tq to the tire and got caught in w heavy rain storm with standing water and had no issues whatsoever. Also, I could accelerate decently well without spinning. For what it’s worth Toyo marks these as competition tires for dry/wet surfaces.

-Jason
The following users liked this post:
Toddiesel (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 AM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I drove on r888s in a down pour with 600+ Rwhp and it was fine. Just be sane with your right foot. You’re not going to spin out and die unless you do something stupid.

Quick Reply: R888/R888Rs in the rain?