C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Toyo R888R on stock Z06 wheels

Old 11-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Brucey
I'm not saying it would. It was more of an open ended question. Possibly asking, the ratio from the factory sizes versus the 295/30/19 is smaller than the 385/35/19 would that ratio difference throw off the ABS.... geez if that makes sense hahaha
do a search on "ice mode" or ice pedal, for braking, and you will see where there might be a problem... but i wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are doing competitive driving in parking lots with cones set up and jabbing the brakes as hard as you can when you pass a marker.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:19 PM
Fredforce
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Are you at stock ride height?
That’s correct stock height. My car is completely stock besides the tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fredforce:
Mikec7z (11-14-2018), Panth3r (01-24-2019)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
do a search on "ice mode" or ice pedal, for braking, and you will see where there might be a problem... but i wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are doing competitive driving in parking lots with cones set up and jabbing the brakes as hard as you can when you pass a marker.
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of this.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

OK I looked up ice mode, and this is what I found on it:

" Ice mode is what drivers of all car types will sometimes refer to when a sudden loss in braking power occurs. The usual explanation will describe the brake pedal going rock hard and braking power cut to maybe 20%. Further investigating will lead you to see that most drivers that experience this are either left foot braking with steady quick jabs, or just a driver who bounces back and forth on the brake very quickly (quick feet). What is the underlying cause of ice mode? ABS. The ABS system can’t keep up with the driver’s inputs and becomes confused."

I'm not sure what that has to do with tire sizes
Old 11-15-2018, 01:04 PM
baystealth2430
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Winner 2021

Just got back from picking up the mounted rears. Will have on car shortly
Old 11-15-2018, 01:10 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

If someone can take a picture that compares the width of the tires, if convenient to do so, we will appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter
If someone can take a picture that compares the width of the tires, if convenient to do so, we will appreciate it.
there are few pics of that in this thread, just look back
Old 11-15-2018, 01:48 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

They are side by side, which shows height. They are not in front of each other to compare width... at least not the pics I am able to see so far.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
OK I looked up ice mode, and this is what I found on it:

" Ice mode is what drivers of all car types will sometimes refer to when a sudden loss in braking power occurs. The usual explanation will describe the brake pedal going rock hard and braking power cut to maybe 20%. Further investigating will lead you to see that most drivers that experience this are either left foot braking with steady quick jabs, or just a driver who bounces back and forth on the brake very quickly (quick feet). What is the underlying cause of ice mode? ABS. The ABS system can’t keep up with the driver’s inputs and becomes confused."

I'm not sure what that has to do with tire sizes
The program is an additional program within the ABS... but is not the pulsating ABS one is used to... instead, it literally feels like someone put a brick under your brake pedal, and you cant push it down, and your car wont stop. (dangerous)

Pretty much all cars have this program, and I did not realize how common this problem was... but the problem originates due to a literal program designed to prohibit cars from spinning when they are on ICE.

The car searches for situations which ice would allow for. One such situation is, from the time that you START to push the brake pedal to the moment the wheels start to lock up... if that happens TOO quickly, the car "believes it knows" the car is on ice.

The ice program does not pulsate brakes, as it has been found that just 25% braking is more effective on ice to slow a vehicle.

The problem of course is when one is not actually on ice, and this happens.

Anyway, the solution is to let off the brake pedal, and then re compress it immediately, and you will have full brakes again. I just like to point it out, because people who DO swap tire and wheel sizes especially, seem to have this happen more often then the stock wheel and tire setups.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

The program is an additional program within the ABS... but is not the pulsating ABS one is used to... instead, it literally feels like someone put a brick under your brake pedal, and you cant push it down, and your car wont stop. (dangerous)

Pretty much all cars have this program, and I did not realize how common this problem was... but the problem originates due to a literal program designed to prohibit cars from spinning when they are on ICE.

The car searches for situations which ice would allow for. One such situation is, from the time that you START to push the brake pedal to the moment the wheels start to lock up... if that happens TOO quickly, the car "believes it knows" the car is on ice.

The ice program does not pulsate brakes, as it has been found that just 25% braking is more effective on ice to slow a vehicle.

The problem of course is when one is not actually on ice, and this happens.

Anyway, the solution is to let off the brake pedal, and then re compress it immediately, and you will have full brakes again. I just like to point it out, because people who DO swap tire and wheel sizes especially, seem to have this happen more often then the stock wheel and tire setups.
Yes, I understand what ice mode is now (though that explanation is a little more thorough, so thanks for that) but it still doesn't tell me how/why a tire size change would trigger it
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i think it can be as simple as front wheel rotation speed vs rear wheel rotation speed... in extreme braking situations.

If those 2 speeds are outside the parameters the car is programmed are acceptable, and it happens within X amount of time after pushing the brake pedal, then it calculates it is on ice.

Tire diameters change front and rear wheel speed rotation relativity ratios.

Another reason is if tires are track tires. It seems more common on the cup 2 than the super sports... i think the reason is, when the cup 2s are still cold, they slip easier in extreme braking. That easier/sooner slip, equates to "perceived ice"

People who run larger aftermarket racing brake pads and/or rotors, have this happen often as well, as the brake bites so much faster... again.. tires lock up quicker, and its perceived ice.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-15-2018 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dabigsnake (02-02-2019)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:52 PM
baystealth2430
Advanced

Ok tires are mounted and on the car. They fit no problems. Width is pretty much the same as stock. Can't really tell any difference. They are taller and way more meaty looking. I took a bunch of pictures and will try and get them up here tomorrow. For now here are some on the car. No abs lights yet or traction control issues yet. But only drove around the neighborhood. Fixing to go for a drive throug.

Last edited by baystealth2430; 11-15-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Picture
The following 3 users liked this post by baystealth2430:
Mikec7z (11-15-2018), TBlood77 (09-04-2021), Toddiesel (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the ultimate cure is to NEVER stab your brakes, always have them on a split second before you really want to stop hard... which is fine for racing, you know when the turn is coming.

But sucks if a kid jumps out in front of you.

The reason i know it is a problem on all cars, i had a lady who rear ended another car, tell me this happened to her small jeep suv. I didnt believe her. Long story short, i found evidence she was telling the truth.

Had she not hit the brakes so hard, she would have been fine and stopped on time. Its a horrible invention.

I believe it should be an option to disable it... especially considering some people never bring these cars out when it is below freezing... so all it is, is a nuisance/danger
Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by baystealth2430

Ok tires are mounted and on the car. They fit no problems. Width is pretty much the same as stock. Can't really tell any difference. They are taller and way more meaty looking. I took a bunch of pictures and will try and get them up here tomorrow. For now here are some on the car. No abs lights yet or traction control issues yet. But only drove around the neighborhood. Fixing to go for a drive throug.

they look great, i love the idea of them... i hope they dont rub... try to go around some curves on a track with them at 1.2 lateral G under hard accel and let me know if the rears rub... if you get the opportunity

I dont think the ice mode will be a big issue, just wanted to point out that will be THE ONLY issue that the ABS would have a hard time with, imo, if there is going to be an issue.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-15-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

That does look quite nice. Might have to go with the 285/35s myself! Thanks for posting!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:31 PM
baystealth2430
Advanced

Ok. Just got home from a 100 mile or so ride. No issues what so ever. Some spirted driving included. Tires do sound different but I would not say loud. I was impressed with how smooth they seemed. Traction seemed great during the spirted driving. The aggressive treads kinda have that sound of mud grips on a truck but nowhere as loud. So far glad I went this route. Seem so much better than the run flats so far. NO TRACTION CONTROL LIGHTS NO ABS LIGHTS. I will keep yall updated as this goes forward but so far so good.
The following users liked this post:
BlackBandit (05-11-2020)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:46 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Also, keep in mind, even if these tires were made of the same rubber as super sports, they would still stay hooked more often in straight line acceleration because they remove torque due to their increased circumference.

I am sure that they are stickier tire however, and once someone mounts these to a 19 or 18 inch rear wheel, and reports less slipping under acceleration than stock pilot sports or cup 2s, then it will be confirmed they are indeed stickier

we would love to get road racers opinion of these tires on the z06 in curves.

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo R888R on stock Z06 wheels

Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter
Also, keep in mind, even if these tires were made of the same rubber as super sports, they would still stay hooked more often in straight line acceleration because they remove torque due to their increased circumference.

I am sure that they are stickier tire however, and once someone mounts these to a 19 or 18 inch rear wheel, and reports less slipping under acceleration than stock pilot sports or cup 2s, then it will be confirmed they are indeed stickier

we would love to get road racers opinion of these tires on the z06 in curves.
Done and Done...
Old 11-15-2018, 10:55 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Good post, I have been looking at these tires for when my Michelins expire....My buddy's C6Z06 was putting down 1000 HP and ran the R888's with great results at both the track (road course) and on the street, I only drove his car for about 30 minutes or so but was impressed with the ride and the grip.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok. Just got home from a 100 mile or so ride. No issues what so ever. Some spirted driving included. Tires do sound different but I would not say loud. I was impressed with how smooth they seemed. Traction seemed great during the spirted driving. The aggressive treads kinda have that sound of mud grips on a truck but nowhere as loud. So far glad I went this route. Seem so much better than the run flats so far. NO TRACTION CONTROL LIGHTS NO ABS LIGHTS. I will keep yall updated as this goes forward but so far so good.
Great updates, and great to hear the results are positive!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyo R888R on stock Z06 wheels