C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
For the 101st time exactly what good does whining on an internet board accomplish. If you want to feel better I'd suggest a single malt and some energetic sex. Those two will do as much to change the occurrence of these type of events as all these threads i.e. exactly nothing.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:11 PM
wstafford
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

He shouldn't have taken your car for a a joy ride. But believe me he didn't hurt it at all. I wouldn't like it too much, but i'd walk away.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:29 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

I took a 500+ hp 1968 C3 (with a 427) to a Chevy dealer in Gaithersburg, MD and they were going to check out the brake pedal feel. I warned the service adviser that the current brake pedal was very, very sensitive and to be extremely careful when moving the car.

As I started walking back to work I watched the tech light up my tires and launched really hard across the parking lot only to find the brakes the "highly Sensitive". He hit the brakes and my car slid to a stop on all four wheels leaving big skid marks in the parking lot. He then restarted the car and shifted it into reverse and dumped the clutch again, the rear wheels were hopping and smoking.

I was a bit more than angry when I walked back into the dealership, I found the adviser with the tech who realized that I had witnessed the abuse of my Corvette from the bridge next to the dealership. The tech said he was "testing the brakes" and had to hear the rear end. I found the manager and he met with me and the other two and I showed them the marks on the ground that were from my Corvette and the backing up marks as well.

In the end all I got was a "I am sorry" from the three people from the dealership. Okay, it was a 1968 C3 and this took place in 1992 when the C4's were the hot thing at the time. They dis-respected me and my car and nothing was done about it because I signed their paperwork which had a clause to allow them to test drive the car. Since I signed that they would do nothing to their precious Corvette Technician.

Never again would that dealership ever see any of my Corvettes. READ the dealership forms before signing is the lesson I learned.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

It is very much worth it for this situation to be communicated to local news media so the dealer takes a hit on reputation and lost business. The tech may not get fired but if the dealer ends up losing sales you can bet his boss will be keeping a closer watch on this guy. I like to get even.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvm728
you guys are hilarious.

i only signed one line, not sure what it even said.

hmmm. now i'm actually wondering if i signed anything before hand. i dont think i did. he said we would do signature on completion. i was surprised because I just handed the key over.
I seriously doubt that. I have never seen a dealer just take a car without a contract for work. Your authorizing them to do the work, test drive the vehicle, disclaimers, ect. Then keys, then rental. The receipt I sign and get when I pick it up is one signature that I accept the repairs and car. I don't get a copy of the drop off paper. It's all about covering them and authorizing them to warranty bill. A lot going on in the morning, meeting service advisor, inspect car, keys, sign paperwork, arrange rental loaner car, show your license and insurance.....I will bet you signed something. But as I stated above...he is still not authorized to do anything he did, and there is still a crime there on video. I know of a case where a police officer stopped a road racer in a C7Z and pulled his memory card from the car! It was evidence. He just also happened to have witnessed it which is not needed if you can prove who was driving and the video.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:37 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I seriously doubt that. I have never seen a dealer just take a car without a contract for work. Your authorizing them to do the work, test drive the vehicle, disclaimers, ect. Then keys, then rental. The receipt I sign and get when I pick it up is one signature that I accept the repairs and car. I don't get a copy of the drop off paper. It's all about covering them and authorizing them to warranty bill. A lot going on in the morning, meeting service advisor, inspect car, keys, sign paperwork, arrange rental loaner car, show your license and insurance.....I will bet you signed something. But as I stated above...he is still not authorized to do anything he did, and there is still a crime there on video. I know of a case where a police officer stopped a road racer in a C7Z and pulled his memory card from the car! It was evidence. He just also happened to have witnessed it which is not needed if you can prove who was driving and the video.
genuinely don't know. you're probably right, however i was in and out within 60 seconds of arriving, doing mileage check and handing key over. surely i did sign something.

Originally Posted by TJC333
It is very much worth it for this situation to be communicated to local news media so the dealer takes a hit on reputation and lost business. The tech may not get fired but if the dealer ends up losing sales you can bet his boss will be keeping a closer watch on this guy. I like to get even.
welp, the local news actually reached out to me today and i took their call. 90 minutes later an interview is done. I've been rockin' a mullet for fun in honor of good ole Mike Gundy and my OSU Cowboys. It looks fantastic on video. i was fun and good attitude, however I think its wrong to double speed limit and be lackadaisical about it after the airbag software update.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvm728
genuinely don't know. you're probably right, however i was in and out within 60 seconds of arriving, doing mileage check and handing key over. surely i did sign something.

welp, the local news actually reached out to me today and i took their call. 90 minutes later an interview is done. I've been rockin' a mullet for fun in honor of good ole Mike Gundy and my OSU Cowboys. It looks fantastic on video. i was fun and good attitude, however I think its wrong to double speed limit and be lackadaisical about it after the airbag software update.
when it’s available post the link to your interview.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

She didn’t mention anything about the airbag software and airbag controller getting the update. Makes me look dumb as if it was an engine software update, but oh well. Mullet and car look great!!

facebook preview we did:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...724409%2F&_rdr

Last edited by Jvm728; 11-12-2018 at 08:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jvm728:
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018), ShagVette (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Jvm728
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bjohn
I understand the frustration man. If you would have told the tech to enjoy it or "get on it" if he was diagnosing a problem that would be one thing. "Accidentally" going 94mph in second gear is another.

The dealership not apologizing or trying to make it right at all is what would kill me over the whole thing. It's the principal of it, and It's sort of surprising how most seem lost on that here.

It would be like a tech slamming your hood shut like a caveman right in front of you and going "...what..." haha. Not enough to blow up over, but a sorry would go a long ways on a new car like that .
good to see I’m not crazy. For what it’s worth he did pop the hood to check out the engine mods/intake/headers. Now checking for hood slam, hahah
Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

The owner of that dealership sounds like a total asshat and I hope his business suffers because of it.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

The dealer is an idiot. He could have easily turned this into a plus by listening to the complaint and taken some action. Instead, he calls it dumb, makes a joke of it and it's an absolute that he will now lose some business because of the way he handled it. I run a multi million dollar sales and service organization; rule number one: never let a pissed off customer feel like you don't give a damn about them. Even if they're wrong, you hear them out. This dealer is just plain stupid.
The following users liked this post:
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:36 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

You can tell that deputy sheriff is so excited to do anything.

So, the TV station was able to quote the dealership owner saying the whole situation is "a total joke", and the tech was "driving like a grandmother" - who knew grandmas hit some revs and do 90 in a 45 with their cars.

Have you contacted GM on this?
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ShagVette
You can tell that deputy sheriff is so excited to do anything.

So, the TV station was able to quote the dealership owner saying the whole situation is "a total joke", and the tech was "driving like a grandmother" - who knew grandmas hit some revs and do 90 in a 45 with their cars.

Have you contacted GM on this?
The biggest idiot here is the dealership owner for saying it's a total joke.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:49 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cyi1
The biggest idiot here is the dealership owner for saying it's a total joke.
From their website, there are 2 owners, Scott L. Tyler & Chris T. Tyler, - assume inherited the dealership from their family. Perhaps the owner thinks with 4 dealerships, Chevy-Cadillac, Kia, Honda and Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram, they can just treat someone however they want and it won't matter.

https://www.tylerchevy.com/History
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
The dealer is an idiot. He could have easily turned this into a plus by listening to the complaint and taken some action. Instead, he calls it dumb, makes a joke of it and it's an absolute that he will now lose some business because of the way he handled it. I run a multi million dollar sales and service organization; rule number one: never let a pissed off customer feel like you don't give a damn about them. Even if they're wrong, you hear them out. This dealer is just plain stupid.
Yup. I run a business too, and the dealership took a very flawed approach.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
yep and In this age of social media taking this course of action is a suicidal business practice.

While the op is 100 percent right — Sometimes the customer is wrong and you have to fire the difficult customer. That is a tricky thing to do these days.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-13-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Red Devil
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Did you get her number? And is she really a reporter?

Great work on this one, nice to see you follow through as this dealership handled this very poorly.
Harbgrogan (11-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse

Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red Devil
Did you get her number? And is she really a reporter?

Great work on this one, nice to see you follow through as this dealership handled this very poorly.

@KatlinConninWSBT
Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I hope everyone here who takes issue with it, gets on Google reviews and Yelp to share their thoughts... 1 or 2 complaints might not make a diff, but 100 in a row sure would...
Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I think its great that you got it onto the news. Dealer is an ***. People should know how they run things there. The Police have no choice. They know who's driving, it's a crime, it's on video, and they have a complainant. Post it when they lock him up or ticket him. I would lose my mind over this. Good luck man!!
Harbgrogan (11-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tyler Chevrolet - Niles Michigan Dealer Vehicle Abuse