C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is there a stickie or thread for bent rims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:14 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Is there a stickie or thread for bent rims?

I have 3 bent or warped wheels just had new as3s installed on my 16 with 13470 miles. My tires in rear still good front I'm guessing toe was off ate inside of thread. I was surprised to see this since I live in ga been to NJ once in July. So potholes are few and far between for me no racing. Can it be factory wheels are coming bent before we ever have our cars i.e. The machine that mounts them for production at plant bending them. My right rear is the only wheel not bent go figure.
what I'm getting at has anybody contacted GM about this issue.
Again no Dukes of Hazard driving.
z51vett
Doug
thanks folks
And yes I used search found a few post

Last edited by z51vett; 11-28-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 AM
thelastday
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Had AS3s swapped onto my <1000 mi 19 Z recently, was told my back right wheel is slightly bent. Pretty much had to come bent from factory.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:22 PM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently bent 2 left side rims on our 15 A8 Z06 with 13K miles while driving in Indianapolis and hit an unavoidable bump on I-465. I slowed to 50mph before going over the bump and it did not feel bad enough to bend the left wheels but the steering wheel and seat vibration stated otherwise immediately. I had them replaced at the dealer and when the 2 new wheels arrived the rear wheel arrived out of the box with a bend on the lip of the rim looking as if it had been dropped while still in the box. The dealer reordered the rear wheel and the reordered wheel arrived with the exact same damage. The 3rd rear wheel ordered arrived (after 3 weeks on backorder) without damage.

Note: I'm surgical with wheel placement on the road and avoid every pavement imperfection. The wheels on our current Z06, as on our prior ZR1, are DELICATE! Oh yeah, I also live in Michigan where highways are like going back to the stone age. Are there any steel truck wheels that will fit the Z06?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Doug, I don't know if there's a sticky, but there are threads in large numbers. Here's a search that shows it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rchid=72918719

And some examples from the above.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...heel-bend.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...acked-rim.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bent-rim.html
Old 11-28-2018, 06:23 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
I have 3 bent or warped wheels just had new as3s installed on my 16 with 13470 miles. My tires in rear still good front I'm guessing toe was off ate inside of thread. I was surprised to see this since I live in ga been to NJ once in July. So potholes are few and far between for me no racing. Can it be factory wheels are coming bent before we ever have our cars i.e. The machine that mounts them for production at plant bending them. My right rear is the only wheel not bent go figure.
what I'm getting at has anybody contacted GM about this issue.
Again no Dukes of Hazard driving.
z51vett
Doug
thanks folks
And yes I used search found a few post
Hi Doug. I've had extensive experience with this problem on my 2016 ZO6 Vert. I also live in Cumming. Another poster listed some previous threads which will give you a full understanding of the problem. GM is well aware of the issue anecdotally and routinely replaces bent rims with new OEM's which will only bend again. Since we're close by each other If you want to talk or meet, to discuss the options I found, PM me and I'll give you my cell #

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a stickie or thread for bent rims?

Quick Reply: Is there a stickie or thread for bent rims?