C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2016 Z06 - Tires and Gripping issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:51 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutts
Change to an All Season Tire if not going to be tracked......You will be able to have fun driving in any Temperature. I drive mine all year round here in Kansas, even with a light dusting of snow with no problems. I changed to BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S Have over 30,000 miles on tires driving all over the States with no Issues.
So your not even driving the car for performance? might as well just drive a Tesla model 3 if that’s the kind of driving your doing in your z06
Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr

What I don't get is why the traction control takes so long to become enabled, while based on videos I've seen, THE STABILITY CONTROL IN TRACK MODE HAS NO APPARENT DELAY AND SEEMS TO PREVENT TIRE SPIN WHEN CORNERING AND TOO MUCH THROTTLE IS APPLIED.
Electronic Stability Control is not there to prevent tire spin exactly like Traction Control. It senses that the car is getting off the line of travel based on steering input/wheel spin versus the desired line of track. Imagine a line running front to back down centerline of car & where you are pointing the car going thru a curve. If the car begins to YAW (back in kicks out/front end over steers) the computer applies SOME brake to the proper tire(s) kicking out of line to bring car back to desired line of travel. IE: Taking left hand curve, you apply too much throttle too soon & front begins to turn too much left (in) & back end kicks out to the right (a beginning of a spin) & computer applies SOME brake on the proper tire(s) to help straighten up car. Car momentarily also pulls power to get you back online. Not a FAIL SAFE & can be overwhelmed & off you go into the weeds or worse, oncoming traffic!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 2017 z06 with cup 2 tires. I have zero problems with traction. Im sure it the tires not having the amount of traction needed for the horse power. I will hate to get away from the cup tires when these wear out but i will try as3+ and im sure that i might spin just like you. So i be leave then go back to cup tires. But one this is for sure. Your not going to have any better traction then with cup tires. I love them. They just suck in cold weather. But thats the trade off.
The following 2 users liked this post by f1reb1rd:
gtrplayer (12-01-2018), Sailez51 (10-19-2020)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:11 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Ditto to what others mentioned. You need some good heat in the tire for her to hook up better. Those tires look perfectly fine but also babied so a nice healthy burnout will get you to the next layer of rubber haha.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 AM
golfnutts
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacembellum

So your not even driving the car for performance? might as well just drive a Tesla model 3 if that’s the kind of driving your doing in your z06
You don’t have to enjoy the beauty of a corvette going over 100 miles a hour all the time nor going around a track to see what it can do. But the performance is there if I need it. Sometimes you just need to sit back and enjoy the ride.
The following users liked this post:
gtrplayer (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 AM
carsnpars
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Hello OP I have an 05 base that I put MPSSZP tires on for 3 yrs. they would spin a little when taking off fast until they warmed up. I was caught out in a half inch of snow and it was BAD! This year I went with MPAS3ZP and the car is hard to spin the tires unless I really get on it. The tires might be what you're looking for.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 AM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rcgldr
What I don't get is why the traction control takes so long to become enabled, while based on videos I've seen, the stability control in track mode has no apparent delay and seems to prevent tire spin when cornering and too much throttle is applied.
Originally Posted by madrob2020
Electronic Stability Control is not there to prevent tire spin exactly like Traction Control. It senses that the car is getting off the line of travel based on steering input/wheel spin versus the desired line of track. Imagine a line running front to back down centerline of car & where you are pointing the car going thru a curve. If the car begins to YAW (back in kicks out/front end over steers) the computer applies SOME brake to the proper tire(s) kicking out of line to bring car back to desired line of travel. IE: Taking left hand curve, you apply too much throttle too soon & front begins to turn too much left (in) & back end kicks out to the right (a beginning of a spin) & computer applies SOME brake on the proper tire(s) to help straighten up car. Car momentarily also pulls power to get you back online. Not a FAIL SAFE & can be overwhelmed & off you go into the weeds or worse, oncoming traffic!
The point I was making is that traction control takes about 1/4 to 1/2 second to respond, while the stability control responds much quicker.

- - -

I wonder if tires oxidize over time if not driven much. My last car was a 2006 Z06, and when it was new, I could roll on smoothly to full throttle in 1st gear and the tires would hold. This changed sometime between 2012 and 2014, as even new Nitto NT05s no longer held in first, but I had also retired a few years before this, and drove the car less. Compounding the issue is the 2006 Z06 traction control didn't work (some state it only pulls timing and not fuel), the traction control appears on the dash, but the tires were still spinning. I traded the 2006 Z06 for a used 2015 C7 Z06 3LZ M7 (without Z07) a few months ago, with MP SS about 2 1/2 years old based on the tires date codes. The tires spin easier that I thought they should, but the traction control works and once it does, the car hooks up and goes straight. I'm in southern California, and it rarely gets below 60 or 55 degrees when I'm driving. I plan to buy a new set of MP SS tires next summer.

Also, there is one nearby freeway on ramp that has significantly less than normal grip and the car can spin the tires in second gear there at partial throttle, which makes me wonder if some nearby streets have degraded over time.

Last edited by rcgldr; 11-30-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Chi_weezy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Did I miss it or did nobody mention PSI here?

OP idk what you’re running but I bumped
mine down to 29 PSI on all corners and it has helped me with grip. I have the PSC2
Old 11-30-2018, 01:07 PM
gtrplayer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change to an All Season Tire if not going to be tracked......You will be able to have fun driving in any Temperature. I drive mine all year round here in Kansas, even with a light dusting of snow with no problems. I changed to BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S Have over 30,000 miles on tires driving all over the States with no Issues.
So the above tire gets great reviews, but nothing Vette specific of course. Any further comments on this tire compared to what I Have on there now?

Again, I looks like the overwhelming response and advice here is:
1. I currently have close the THE best tire I could have on there
2. They HAVE to be warmed up in order to grip well
3. Regardless of tire, I need to "ease" into the throttle and slow roll into breakneck speed!
4. Never "mash" it in traffic or coming out of a corner OR when passing in traffic
5. There is a LOT of HP and Torque to the rear wheels... I need to learn how to work with this and respect what it there
6. The tires WILL do their job once they are warmed up!
7. Need to gain much more time in the car and also remember it is WINTER right now where I am and ambient temps are around 50 degrees
8. No real reason to run out and drop 2K on tires TODAY.

Thank you all AGAIN!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

the bfg Comp 2 a/s come in c7z sizes?

Do they hook if you are pointed in a straight line when it’s 50 degrees or less and smash the gas in 2nd at 50 mph?

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-30-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:46 PM
gtrplayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

the bfg Comp 2 a/s come in c7z sizes?

Do they hook if you are pointed in a straight line when it’s 50 degrees or less and smash the gas in 2nd at 50 mph?
I'm not seeing where they come in that size....
Old 11-30-2018, 02:26 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplayer
I'm not seeing where they come in that size....
i didn’t think the bfg was offerd in c7z sizes.

i think our only choice for our sizes is the Michelin all weather that has just been released. they remind me of the good year gator bAcks I had on the c4zr1. Those tires were greAt in rain- hooked up all be it i was dealing with 375hp on that car and were even quite surprisingly good in 2 or 3 inches of snow.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-30-2018 at 02:31 PM.
gtrplayer (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:12 PM
gtrplayer
Advanced

Default Update

Ok guys... it was 81 degrees today and I had the whole day in the car. I did some "messin" with it to warm up the tires... fast turns, juke/jive, quick stops,.. fast runs etc.

The verdict: YES! I could definitely tell a difference! I have to also say that turning in that thing is crazy amazing! It grips and hugs that road like it can't get enough!

The difference I felt most was on a roll around 40mph or so and would tap it a bit... it definitely hooked MUCH better than previously in a 45 degree day with a run to the store and back or something. So... yes, a huge difference!

I also did some playing to expereince traction control and noticed it does very well. It will not allow the car to go out of control at the lower speeds. I WILL say (as advised above) that I would NOT rely on this while blazing in traffic at 65mph in a downshift, romp situation. NO! I'm not experienced enough there and that would be a stupid move in my opinion anyway.

Over-all.... I believe my issue here is solved. My tires are still in good shape, I've learned that the just need to be warmed up and when they're cold and in colder ambient temps to be easy with all those horses under there!

Thank you all again!
Old 11-30-2018, 11:33 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Get the Dsc rear alignment.

caster is currently wrong on your car
desmophile (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:58 AM
gtrplayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter
Get the Dsc rear alignment.

caster is currently wrong on your car

???
Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplayer
???
you really need to get your whole car aligned to the DSC spec even if you never track they have a street alignment setting. Even if you don’t get their controller but I do highly recommend it. These cars come from chevy with ocasional dangerously bad alignments in the rear. Caster is crucial on the c7. Have a very competent suspension shop or dealer align your car
Old 12-01-2018, 06:56 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Is this subject discussion for real ? What is so complicated about simply modulating the throttle ?
Maybe some common sense and knowing what you don’t know. Even if you’ve never been a pilot, if you walk up to an F18 and a Cessna 150, is it that difficult just looking at them to say, gee wiz looks like there is a heck of a difference here. Better be real careful, and I think I need more training.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 - Tires and Gripping issue

Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 AM
gtrplayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
Is this subject discussion for real ? What is so complicated about simply modulating the throttle ?
Maybe some common sense and knowing what you don’t know. Even if you’ve never been a pilot, if you walk up to an F18 and a Cessna 150, is it that difficult just looking at them to say, gee wiz looks like there is a heck of a difference here. Better be real careful, and I think I need more training.
Yes, EXACTLY! It's a whole new concept for me for sure. I like the F18/Cessna analogy! As I said above, this all makes sense now... Getting into the "F18" I have fear, likely how a new fighter pilot would, but it's what I would call a "healthy" fear in that I respect that fear and respect the overwhelming power this beast has. You can't F around in a car like this without knowing what you're doing and knowing the car in and out and understanding all that is involved. I'm very grateful for this forum and for all of the guys here offering their experience, insight and advice. I've learned a lot just in this thread.

Again, thank you to everyone here! GREAT stuff! It's already 60 degrees this am, so I'm gonna have another day in it!

Last edited by gtrplayer; 12-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Forget getting any traction until warm weather returns, even then the tires need to be warmed up. Different rubber in the factory tires- not, LOL. I would avoid that place in the future.
100% agree with BOTH statements. Traction is poo in the cold. That's some scammy crap they're telling you at that tire place and I promise you they will NOT take tires back. They can't send them back to tirerack (or whomever they got them from) if they've been driven on. It's like trying to take shoes back after you've gone for a 5 mile run in them. They're just trying to get you to waste money on tires. That tread is fine, just warm em up before you try to get on it, especially in the cold.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:37 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Z06 tires

I think you have gotten good advice and pretty well figured out what you need to do. my 2 cents
check your tire pressures, you have a TPMS so it is easy, shoot for 28-30 cold, 35 when warmed by aggressive driving
if you watch how your tire pressure goes up when you drive, you can get an idea when they are warm and ready to rumble, straight line acceleration and hard braking warm tires best, you don't have to be swerving all over the road, just easy into it
get your car aligned to what we call here the "DSC" settings, search for it, not hard to find. Get a good performance shop to do it, my chevy dealer sometimes does it well, sometimes not, I have others do it now
when it gets warm, take up the tire store offer to let you try new tires for 30 days, save the old ones, go to the track a couple of times, go back to the store and tell them they don't work If you are doing it right, they will be worn out anyway. Just kidding. Paul

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 - Tires and Gripping issue