C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Am I dreaming or is this traction control pretty dang good

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM
dxbtune
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Am I dreaming or is this traction control pretty dang good

Good Evening, All.

-Took my 16 C7 Z06 out today and it was the coldest temperature I have driven it since owned (46F). I found as though there was a lack of power but did not feel the back step out. This was around 40-65 MPH and pushing it a bit. The car has 5000 miles on it and I bought it with 4400 miles. It is equipped with the Micheline pilot sport 2's and they feel hard as a rock and do take time to warm up. Trying to better understand if the power loss I was feeling was related to traction control or if it is related to something else is what led me here. I also own a 2014 Z28, have had both the gen 3 and gen 4 vipers and a C6 Z06 + a few others so am used to different vehicles with and without nannies but since I am still learning this car and the tires were cold, I opted to not experiment with traction control and start doing some research. I'm hoping its traction control kicking in and if that is the case its quite amazing because my butt felt nothing as far as stepping out other than the power wanting to come on and it backing off. I think I should buy myself some new tires, perhaps some with more grip. One thing that came to mind after the fact was what the HP gauge does when I feel this slight power loss.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:09 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

if traction control came on you would see it flash on the dash.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM
dxbtune
Advanced

Originally Posted by RegnaR
if traction control came on you would see it flash on the dash.
I’ve had the car come loose on me and clearly feel traction control kick in without the lights come up. I have had an instance where the lights did come up in my Z28 but not in the corvette ‘yet’. Well I’m kind of stumped if it’s not traction control then.. either that or I’m getting used to the power of the car already.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 PM
h3mpking
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Traction control is awesome in these cars.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Doesn't sound like traction control. Mine usually steps out before TC kicks in. What mode was it in?

Last edited by djnice; 12-09-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 PM
dxbtune
Advanced

It was in sport, this was around 60mph

Last edited by dxbtune; 12-09-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Doesn't sound like traction control. Mine usually steps out before TC kicks in. What mode was it in?

I agree mine steps out before the TC does much to help and I even have all season tires on it. TC works great say above 50 but as the temperature drops so does it’s effectiveness.

Of course cold dense air adds a few HP too.

I drive cautious below 50, extra cautious below 32. I’ve drive sub zero and it’s even more fun.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:12 AM
dxbtune
Advanced

Can someone tell me if their cup sport 2 tires feel like hard plastic? Mine were made in the 40th week of 2015 so they should be ok but I can't even sink my fingernail in the tread. Sidewall is a little softer but am concerned I've got plastic pucks for tires. 65 degrees in the garage right now.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Chi_weezy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by h3mpking
Traction control is awesome in these cars.
I agree with this. It’s saved my *** many times. I’m always amazed
The following users liked this post:
dxbtune (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:10 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Mine will spin the tires a little before traction control kicks in, but it may or may not noticeably step the back end out, depending on steering wheel position, crown of the road, etc.
If the OP's car is a manual, he should hear tire spin via changes in engine rpm, even if the car stays straight.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Bob U
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbtune
Can someone tell me if their cup sport 2 tires feel like hard plastic? Mine were made in the 40th week of 2015 so they should be ok but I can't even sink my fingernail in the tread. Sidewall is a little softer but am concerned I've got plastic pucks for tires. 65 degrees in the garage right now.
Your tires are getting old. I was told that the cups start losing their performance after a year and a half. The cold weather is also making them feel hard.
dxbtune (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Your car should feel more powerful in cooler air.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:54 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Mich AS3’s are great just put a set on my 16 Z06 my car has been trying to hand me my *** for a while now tires hard as rocks. My alignment was off had it set in spring rear caster was -.03 and - .04 changed to +.07 that helped. Redid alignment after new tires my alignment was off again reset everything now have +.08 rear caster drives better but three bent rims.
z51vett
Doug
dxbtune (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Traction control in WEATHER mode is touchy enough that it intervenes early and often prevents the car from getting loose in the first place. In modes like Sport, however, it's designed to let the car come around a little bit, but on ice that's too much. So use WEATHER mode and then yes, the TC is pretty good. Though I'm not 100% you were actually into it!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 PM
dxbtune
Advanced

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Traction control in WEATHER mode is touchy enough that it intervenes early and often prevents the car from getting loose in the first place. In modes like Sport, however, it's designed to let the car come around a little bit, but on ice that's too much. So use WEATHER mode and then yes, the TC is pretty good. Though I'm not 100% you were actually into it!
Thanks for the input, Dave. I rolled on the gas pretty hard but certainly not mashing the gas. I felt as though there was a small surge and it led me to believe the traction control was kicking in. Seeing it was cold and I am doubting my tires at that point. Turning off traction control and giving it a go was not the right approach.

----------------------------
Like anything new, you notice everything on a vehicle and wonder if it is normal or not. It's a learning curve, have 100,000 warranty on the car with 3 years drivetrain left and I purchased the extended 150,000 mile warranty so I'm covered but still, it's interesting to learn what's actually going on...

Here are a few to share that I've noticed in the past 2 weeks of owning the car:

*Engine vibrates at idle (apparently GM tuned it that way to represent the homage of the earlier corvettes) oh ok.. well I would rather bump it up 200 RPM at idle and have it smoother.
*Eco mode in the auto jerks the car unless in paddle shift, M7 like mine only if in eco so I won't be going there nor do i want to.
*Heard swashing sounds behind the dash when starting it up (apparently, that's water going into the supercharger cooling channels and another version is that it's the oil going back into the tank since it is dry sump) normal sounds.
*Car takes time to fire up when cold. ( fuel lines pressuring up needs a few revolutions to get it right then you get a spark) normal delay
*Car makes popping sounds/jolts on tight turns (rear end needs oil with a synthetic blend increase lubricity etcetc) normal and is actually in the owners manual to not bring it in for service....

Last edited by dxbtune; 12-10-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Not sure exactly - what is "dang"?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought a used 2015 C7 Z06 M7 3LZ (without Z07) a few months ago. With traction control enabled, regardless of mode (weather, eco, tour, sport, track), the tires spin for about 1/4 to 1/2 second before traction control stops the tire spin. Whether the rear end steps out with the tires spinning depends on the conditions like a level road versus a crowned road, and if by chance, one of the rear tires has a bit more grip than the other. On my car, with the tires spinning, it usually steps out a bit to the right or not at all. In my opinion, the traction control is taking too long to stop tire spin. The stability control while turning is reported to react much quicker.

When traction control is enabled, an icon on the dash appears, and the halo surrounding the tach (normally used as a shift indicator) turns yellow.

Last edited by rcgldr; 12-10-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I dreaming or is this traction control pretty dang good

Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Here are a few to share that I've noticed in the past 2 weeks of owning the car:

*Engine vibrates at idle (apparently GM tuned it that way to represent the homage of the earlier corvettes) oh ok.. well I would rather bump it up 200 RPM at idle and have it smoother.
*Eco mode in the auto jerks the car unless in paddle shift, M7 like mine only if in eco so I won't be going there nor do i want to.
*Heard swashing sounds behind the dash when starting it up (apparently, that's water going into the supercharger cooling channels and another version is that it's the oil going back into the tank since it is dry sump) normal sounds.
*Car takes time to fire up when cold. ( fuel lines pressuring up needs a few revolutions to get it right then you get a spark) normal delay
*Car makes popping sounds/jolts on tight turns (rear end needs oil with a synthetic blend increase lubricity etcetc) normal and is actually in the owners manual to not bring it in for service....
Every ones tolerance to these things is different, but:
-I don't notice vibration at idle, but I might be used to rough idling cars.
-I rarely have noticed it taking time to fire up.
-Popping and jolts should be the tires, mainly front. If it is the rear diff that may not be normal.

Last edited by djnice; 12-10-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I have noticed with my 15 Z06 that IDLE Roughness will vary to some degree depending on the local ambient environment.

Eco mode in the M7 works pretty well. On my car it is impossible to tell when the engine switches between modes unless I use Engine Sound Management to permanently set the Exhaust in Track Mode. Track Mode leaves the exhaust valves open all the time except when the engine switches to V4 mode. I know when it switches when I hear the exhaust suddenly go quiet or suddenly get loud. I use Eco Mode most of the time as it doesn't noticeably delay throttle response when you want to step on the throttle.

I have never heard swashing sounds behind the dash when starting my engine. The S/C is supposed to be completely full of coolant and if it isn't the engine will not perform correctly. I have had two dry sump cars over the last 9 ears and have never heard the oil in the dry sump. Check your intercooler reservoir level to see if the air bubbles at the top of the reservoir are larger than the size of two quarters. If it is then you need to bleed the intercooler to get the air out.

*Car makes popping sounds/jolts on tight turns (rear end needs oil with a synthetic blend increase lubricity etcetc) normal and is actually in the owners manual to not bring it in for service.
Just like all Vettes from the C5 on the front of the car will stutter sideways in tight turns due to Ackerman angles. It has nothing to do with the diff. The amount of stutter will depend on the wheel alignment, type and width of tire, temperature and how much grip the pavement surface provides. I picked up my car at the dealership the other day when it was raining. To head home I have to make a tight U Turn and at a couple of mph I had trouble making the turn due to the front wheels sliding across the pavement. No stutter, there wasn't enough grip for them to stutter. On dry days they will stutter but I have no problems making the turn in the space available.
Bill
dxbtune (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:40 PM
rcgldr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My concern about ECO mode is that apparently it always cuts the same 4 cylinders, and I worry about uneven engine wear.

Quick Reply: Am I dreaming or is this traction control pretty dang good