C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My cars engine icon is flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Daryl Dixon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My cars engine icon is flashing

Hello everyone,,
i was out for a ride this past weekend in my 2016 Z06 when ShowBox Mobdro VidMate
the engine icon began flashing. My wife looked it up in the manual and it suggested engine misfire, catalytic converter / pollution. The manual also suggested shutting off the engine for 10 seconds then restarting which we did. The flashing icon did not return. The vehicle has just under 12K miles on it. Before this happened I did a couple 50% throttle accelerations.

Any ideas ? Should I take it in to the dealer ?

Last edited by Daryl Dixon; 12-11-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:17 AM
itsaz
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

1) Pull the DTC codes. Your dealer or any Autozone can do this.
2) Pray that it's still under warranty.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Unless the icon lights up again I would not take it in. You did as the manual suggested the light went off so perhaps it was a one time electrical glitch. Or you can call the dealer explain what happened and see what they suggest.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by dvilin
Unless the icon lights up again I would not take it in. You did as the manual suggested the light went off so perhaps it was a one time electrical glitch. Or you can call the dealer explain what happened and see what they suggest.
While I agree the dealer might not find anything if no codes were tripped, ignoring the light is not the answer. The fact that you were doing a pull, even if only to 50%, and the check engine light started flashing indicates a misfire. You may have a bad plug, or wire. I've had this happen with a few different sets of plug wires now. Keep a close eye on the light and if it starts flashing again, lift so you don't hurt your engine! If you know anyone with a datalogger of any sort (HPTuners, EFILive, or even if you have a DashLogic OBD2 box) you can watch for misfires and know if you are indeed having an issue.

When my plug wires went bad, they would ohm (test) correctly at ambient temps, it was not until they got hot that I would begin to see the misfire issue.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Missfire
Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Check the easy stuff first.

From what I have read here the first thing to do is to check that the plug wires are firmly attached, sometimes for various reasons they come loose. If you know what the plug numbers/wires are that are miss-firing than you only need to check those wires and/or plugs.

I have over 22,000+ miles with no problems and I do mess with the front driver side plug & wire (easiest to get to) from time to time just to see what is going on in the combustion chamber.

PS: Always pull the sparkplug wires off by the end boots, never the wires. I 'usually' twist the boots back and forth to break them loose before trying to pull them off then I use some dielectric grease to lube the inside of the boot before re-installing.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 12-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My cars engine icon is flashing

Quick Reply: My cars engine icon is flashing