C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another Z06 with bent rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
There is truly something wrong with our wheels. I had 2 bent, not hitting anything, but managed to get them replaced under warranty, pure luck. I was going to get the insurance but it was $1,000 with a company with a poor reimbursement records and poor reviews. I could not get insurance after the purchase so I self insure with some money put away in case I get a bent one again. Very frustrating to say the least and the factory wheels are not cheap at $500-$600.
I think what you are doing is the way to go. Spending money for insurance is like tossing money down the toilet. Putting aside $$$ for the possibility of having to buy a new set of wheels is the way to go. I would recommend you spend time researching what wheels would you want on your vehicle in the event you ever start having cracked wheel issues.
The following users liked this post:
SLEEKVET (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I think what you are doing is the way to go. Spending money for insurance is like tossing money down the toilet. Putting aside $$$ for the possibility of having to buy a new set of wheels is the way to go. I would recommend you spend time researching what wheels would you want on your vehicle in the event you ever start having cracked wheel issues.
Go a bit further and don't insure your entire car. What could happen? Based on the track record of these wheels bending/cracking, paying for a comprehensive policy of around $1k will be money well spent should at least two wheels get damaged. The replacement cost of $500-$600 doesn't include mounting/balance either. If your roads are anything but perfect and you bend/crack one, you'll damage another. I'm sure many folks don't even know their wheels are bent and just chalk it up to very direct "road feel" lol.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:26 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blackbirdws6
Go a bit further and don't insure your entire car. What could happen? Based on the track record of these wheels bending/cracking, paying for a comprehensive policy of around $1k will be money well spent should at least two wheels get damaged. The replacement cost of $500-$600 doesn't include mounting/balance either. If your roads are anything but perfect and you bend/crack one, you'll damage another. I'm sure many folks don't even know their wheels are bent and just chalk it up to very direct "road feel" lol.
Is that 1K every year? If it is then after 10 years that money could have bought you a great set of forged wheels that would last the life of the car and would have saved you 2K. Also, those insurance policies all have limits and exclusions. I still think you are better off putting your money in a piggbank. Having to go and replace wheels is a big inconvenience especially if you are a working stiff. You don't want to do this often.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
BlueDevlZ06
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Was lucky and my dealer was able to get mine covered under my 3/36 warranty. Ive never run over anything that i can remember and i only recently noticed it. 2 drivers wheels affected. Was written up and presented to district service mgr as " wheels out of spec to factory tolerance" . My car is a 2016 Z06 M7 2LZ with steel brakes and silver nickel wheels with about 3000 miles on it. I have a great rep with my dealer and service mgr. I also had the MRC upgrade installed. Much better ride and hopefully no more bent wheels. Shout out to Marchese Chevrolet, Highland Falls, NY and much thanks. Always great service there on my last 5 corvettes.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlueDevlZ06
Was lucky and my dealer was able to get mine covered under my 3/36 warranty. Ive never run over anything that i can remember and i only recently noticed it. 2 drivers wheels affected. Was written up and presented to district service mgr as " wheels out of spec to factory tolerance" . My car is a 2016 Z06 M7 2LZ with steel brakes and silver nickel wheels with about 3000 miles on it. I have a great rep with my dealer and service mgr. I also had the MRC upgrade installed. Much better ride and hopefully no more bent wheels. Shout out to Marchese Chevrolet, Highland Falls, NY and much thanks. Always great service there on my last 5 corvettes.
You should still report it to the NHSTA as it is a broader issue than just your vehicle and will help demonstrate to NHSTA that a pattern is present with this vehicile. This is a safety issue. Even though you have resolution, reporting this will help all C7 owners.
BlueDevlZ06 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Did the same thing with the MRC update, so hopefully the softer ride will help.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I'm sure many folks don't even know their wheels are bent and just chalk it up to very direct "road feel" lol.
And many of the cracks are on the inner rim. Won't see that w/o car on a lift.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by MMD

Is that 1K every year? If it is then after 10 years that money could have bought you a great set of forged wheels that would last the life of the car and would have saved you 2K. Also, those insurance policies all have limits and exclusions. I still think you are better off putting your money in a piggbank. Having to go and replace wheels is a big inconvenience especially if you are a working stiff. You don't want to do this often.
My policy was $1K for 5 years. No limits.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Bought my '19 Z from Criswell a few months ago and the wheel insurance was the one extra item I did buy....
Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

My policy was $1K for 5 years. No limits.
Same here Blackbird, mine was quoted by Criswell as $700 for 5 years, no limit to the amount of claims and as I understand it, it covered tires and wheels. I see what others have said about saving your money and buying a good set of forged wheels, but How much does a "good set (4) of forged wheels cost? I'm guessing you've got to be in that $500 per wheel range....am I close?
Anyway, I hate the thought of buying this kind of insurance, but are the failure rates of the newer Z06 Corvettes ((2017-2018 vintage) the same as the older models (2016 and before)?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I'm guessing you've got to be in that $500 per wheel range....am I close?
More like $1000

Old 12-11-2018, 04:58 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Same here Blackbird, mine was quoted by Criswell as $700 for 5 years, no limit to the amount of claims and as I understand it, it covered tires and wheels. I see what others have said about saving your money and buying a good set of forged wheels, but How much does a "good set (4) of forged wheels cost? I'm guessing you've got to be in that $500 per wheel range....am I close?
Anyway, I hate the thought of buying this kind of insurance, but are the failure rates of the newer Z06 Corvettes ((2017-2018 vintage) the same as the older models (2016 and before)?
A good set is more than $500 a wheel. I actually did purchase new wheels which will be covered by the existing insurance policy up to the value of the OEM equipment (wheels/tires). I'd rather drive and enjoy my car than replace a wheel(s) every other month.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:42 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Carvin
More like $1000
$1000 is bottom end. Some of the better looking forged are $8,000 for a set.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

$1000 is bottom end. Some of the better looking forged are $8,000 for a set.
YIKES! Thank you...............
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

For anyone with a Bent/Cracked wheel issue, I suggest you following the instructions at the post link below to Report to NHTSA. Thanks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...afety-adm.html
Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Default wheels

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Someone posted here a brand new 2019 z had 4 bent rims. The car was still at the dealer in new car get ready. This guy posted Evidently at the factory they run the car over a series of speed bumps at the factory to settle the suspension. I don’t know if this is a true story or a bunch of bs.

It would be interesting to see if a higher percentage of the bent rims are on chrome, the standard nickel color or the black or spectra gray wheels. Gm really cut corners on these cars.
heels
Those tires have 50 PSI in them when they hit those concrete strips so no side wall give bent wheels my guess.
z51vett
Doug
Old 12-22-2018, 07:17 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Too bad there's no verifiable data as to inflation pressure and suspension setting on vehicles that crack a wheel. It's all just here-say.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Z06 with bent rims

Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Savoy2001
Melting Slicks

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,108 Posts

What's funny is every time I've seen one of those build videos from bowling Green where they drive the car off three line over those bumps like that I cringe. I always thought it was strange they would do that knowing how sensitive these wheels are. It's still odd to me.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Emmdmd
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Does the bending or cracking cause a noticeable change in driving feel? I haven’t noticed any changes ( i.e., pulling, vibrations, etc), but I live in NJ where the roads are horrific. I do my best to avoid the canyon potholes and “repairs” but at times impossible when they encompass the entire driving surface. With that being said, I’m certain if there’s a chronic issue with bending and cracking rims, I have them on my car. I’ll have to pull the wheels and do a thorough inspection.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:10 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Emmdmd
Does the bending or cracking cause a noticeable change in driving feel? I haven’t noticed any changes ( i.e., pulling, vibrations, etc), but I live in NJ where the roads are horrific. I do my best to avoid the canyon potholes and “repairs” but at times impossible when they encompass the entire driving surface. With that being said, I’m certain if there’s a chronic issue with bending and cracking rims, I have them on my car. I’ll have to pull the wheels and do a thorough inspection.
Good idea. First do a search on the C7 forum looking for bent or crack wheel threads. There are a bunch of them in the General and Z06 forums. Look for pictures to give you an idea what to look for. I have seen many pics showing cracks which most always appear on the inside lip of the inner barrel. You could also have a problem with a bent wheel. The only way I am aware of determining this, if it is not visually obvious, would be to have somebody like Discount Tire balance your wheel.

Last edited by MMD; 12-22-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Emmdmd (12-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Another Z06 with bent rims