C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another Z06 with bent rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 11:32 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Savoy2001
What's funny is every time I've seen one of those build videos from bowling Green where they drive the car off three line over those bumps like that I cringe. I always thought it was strange they would do that knowing how sensitive these wheels are. It's still odd to me.
If they changed their procedure and stopped doing it, it would show they acknowledge the problem.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

OP, your profile shows that you are from Atlanta, where (unlike those of us living in the upper Midwest or Northeast) you should have a bunch of good roads to drive on just about anywhere that you want to go.

So I'm not following how it is even possible to get bent rims on good roads. Do you have any thoughts about how the damage occurred? Do you drive super aggressively on age-deteriorated or heat-buckled roads, or unintentionally bounce off ride up on manholes or local depressions in resurfaced areas or something?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Had a bent wheel on my GS straightened by my Dealer. The Service Manager said that, besides potholes, some customer suffered bent wheels by going over expansion joints on the highway.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:50 AM
kazoo794
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I did and it came in handy.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:51 AM
kazoo794
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer straighten you wheel?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Guys.....all low profile wheels (tires actually) get bent when they hit something hard enough.....even forged wheels. That is just a fact and it doesn't matter if you drive a Corvette or a Lambourgini, they all bend. The difference is that when my buddy hit a pot hole in his Lambo Diablo the bill was over $10k for 2 wheels. I have bent wheels on most of my cars....though never in my 2008 Z06 (just lucky) and my 2019 is to new to make that claim. I replaced every wheel 3 x on my Mercedes CLK 550 AMG and the last set was a nightmare to get, as there was no stock left. If you don't want to bend a wheel you need to keep the Z06 in Touring mode when on streets to give the shocks the most compliance when hitting a hole and you need to look far ahead to avoid those holes. But expecting GM or any other manufacturer to pay for replacement wheels is pretty naive....they would go broke, and unless you want to see the next generation of Corvette to come with Truck wheels then accept the facts of life.....low profile wheels get bent, so get what ever wheel insurance you can get and drive like that pot hole will damage your car, because it will.

Last edited by Road machine; 02-06-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Synacks
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
Guys.....all low profile wheels (tires actually) get bent when they hit something hard enough.....even forged wheels. That is just a fact and it doesn't matter if you drive a Corvette or a Lambourgini, they all bend. The difference is that when my buddy hit a pot hole in his Lambo Diablo the bill was over $10k for 2 wheels. I have bent wheels on most of my cars....though never in my 2008 Z06 (just lucky) and my 2019 is to new to make that claim. I replaced every wheel 3 x on my Mercedes CLK 550 AMG and the last set was a nightmare to get, as there was no stock left. If you don't want to bend a wheel you need to keep the Z06 in Touring mode when on streets to give the shocks the most compliance when hitting a hole and you need to look far ahead to avoid those holes. But expecting GM or any other manufacturer to pay for replacement wheels is pretty naive....they would go broke, and unless you want to see the next generation of Corvette to come with Truck wheels then accept the facts of life.....low profile wheels get bent, so get what ever wheel insurance you can get and drive like that pot hole will damage your car, because it will.
Here's the deal. I run the car in touring mode nonstop and I drive pretty decent roads. It still happened. It's happened to a ton of other people here as well. If you plan on having your 2019 Z06 for 10K+ miles then start planning for wheel bends and fixing or replacing them. It's just part of the game for the C7. I never had any issues on my two C6 Z06's with over 100,000 miles between the two of them.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Road machine
Yes anything can bend. That's a no brainer however a stronger wheel will be less likely to bend or thinking of it differently, handle a larger pothole. We have owners not hitting craters and finding that their wheels are bending. A forged wheel will take the more "normal" impacts but sure, they can still bend if you hit one of the really bad ones. I don't think anyone is expecting to run 60+ mph into a big pothole and expect everything to be perfect.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

I was told by a dealer known problem they are being bent when they secure them on trains and trucks Cadillac CTSV and Camaros are included.
Z51vett
Doug

Last edited by z51vett; 02-06-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Synacks
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
I was told by a dealer known problem they are being bent when they secure them on trains and trucks Cadillac CTSV and Camaros are included.
Z51vett
Dough
Easiest way to tell if it happens there or if it's an issue with the wheel being soft is by buying OEM wheels direct from GM in a box and running them. If they don't warp then yeah.

I wound up buying 4 low mile used wheels but decided against installing those so I got 4 brand new wheels instead and put them on my car at Discount Tire.

Quick Reply: Another Z06 with bent rims