C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

From a Corvette rookie - my 2016 Z06 impressions/review

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:23 AM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice write up. We had a few Gen 4 TAs as well. I am on my 10th Corvette, 3 C4's, 2 C5's, 3 C6's and 2 C7's. My first C7 was a 2016 3LT Z51 Convertible with 7-speed manual..... IMHO, there isn't a huge difference between my Z51 and a GS and "I" couldn't justify the added expense to move to a wide body and still have the same engine package. I drove a Z06 at a dealership and I was hooked...... 3 weeks later I picked up my 2018 2LZ. To ME.....there is NO comparison to the Z51 or the GS..... that LT4 puts a smile on my face like no other Vette I've owned, and there is no way I would want to go back to an LT1. I will be adding the Vararam CAI and a few other bolt on for a little more HP and torque.... The torque it has makes it fun to drive.... again, I stress that these are MY opinions..... I know many GS people think that's the perfect "package" for a Vette...... me?.. .... I'm taking a Z06 alllll day long!!!!

OP, we live in Tucson and if ya ever get down here give me a shout..... we can take a ride up Mt Lemmon.... 30 miles of curves and unbelievable views!!

The Yellow Bee is my wife's 2009 3LT 6 Speed....

We we need pics of your new ride!!

Last edited by chevyvette1; 01-26-2019 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SuperdadZ06 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:13 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great write up! Getting pumped to pull the trigger if I can find a good used one. Congrats on your new purchase!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
So others don't have to do the same thing because of Blind Spots this is what I did soon after I got my C7 Z51 in October 2013:

First some background. That was my 4th Vette, all coupes and 3 with acceptable vison though the rear window- but NOT the C7.

Second, the Grand Sport and even worse rear visibility as I have the Stage 2 Aero Option that has side extensions on the rear spoiler limiting rear visibility even further! Not as bad as a Vert with the top up - but close!

I have been using what some folks call "The right way to set mirrors" since the multipage paper on defensive driving was published as an SAE tech paper in the mid 1990's! However if you read the graphic below (which was made from that tech paper and modified for the C7 by me) carefully or the multipage tech paper it states YOU MUST HAVE GOOD VISIBILITY THROUGH THE REAR WINDOW TO FOLLOW CARS THAT WILL SOON BE IN YOUR BLIND SPOT!!

I have not had an accident with another car in ~60 years of driving (looking for wood as LUCK has been a factor) but knowing where all cars are around me at all times is key.

Never added "blind spot mirrors" to my '88, '93 or 2008 Vette BUT IMO THEY ARE NEEDED IN THE C7. Your car your choice.

In fact, IMO they are also far better than the "blind spot detection" we have in our 2018 BMW X5 SUV! They just tell you what setting the mirrors properly do- who is right behind your rear fenders. You must follow the AH traveling 15 -20 mph over the speed limit who will soon be there in case you have to make an emergency maneuver! Have had to make a quick move to avoid 18 wheeler tire treads in the Vette with no time to turn my head BUT knew which lane was free from looking all the time in all mirrors! Frankly that is why I like the SUV for Interstate driving - I can just go over them! With the Grand Sport, there goes a $1500 carbon fiber splitter!

I've been using this method for years. You don't have to have any of your own car reflected in the side view mirrors.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:17 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Great review, love my 2019 M7 Z06 convertible. Power is nothing short of amazing.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:44 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Yup Me as well. It really screams with the top down and I have not begun to play with the exhaust settings which will be day one in the spring

Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

There are awesome Z’s Posted here!! Cannot wait till spring!! To unleash the Beast.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
I've been using this method for years. You don't have to have any of your own car reflected in the side view mirrors.
Yep, that is the way to set your mirrors BUT as this graphic depicts (on the right side) you must follow cars from the center mirror as they come into view in the side mirrors (left or right.) That multipage ~1995 SAE tech paper defined that method of setting mirrors as well as for defensive driving states you must be able to see who will soon be in your "blind spot." The C7's limited view of cars through the rear does not provide the view I had in my '88, '93 and 2008 Vettes. It's even worse with the Stage 2 option on my Grand Sport.

SIDE BAR:
That is the purpose of the small convex mirror NOT to just see those folks who are just on your rear bumper but a broader and longer view of who will soon be there! It is most useful on an Interstate where some folks are traveling much faster then the speed limit. I encounter them all the time. While I am in the center of 3 lanes traveling 6 to 8 over the posted limit some come down the left (or right) lanes going 15 to 20 mph over the limit. It's important to understand they will soon be in your blind spot so IF you have to make a quick lane change decision so you will be know which lane will be clear.

On the right, the side mirror is convex and gives a broad long view. That identifies folks speeding in the right lane thinking they are using traffic to block being as susceptible to oncoming trooper radar. However the right mirror is not allowed to be convex in the US; it is in Europe. In fact, some US cars are coming with small convex mirrors integrated in the left side flat mirror that is allowed. I have had two occasions where always viewing that small mirror allowed me to make a quick maneuver to the left lane to avoid an 18 wheeler tire tread. No time to look over my shoulder. The whole defensive driving method requires a subconscious habit of continually viewing all mirrors.

I also have several locations on I95 that I use a technique that is an irritant to some other drivers. There are two entrances intersections with very short ramps. Some entering often force 18 wheelers traveling in the right lane to quickly move to the center lane. As I approach these I move to the left lane irritating those traveling much more then my ~6 mph speed over the limit. But it avoids having to be cut off by an 18 wheeler. There have been a number of fatalities at those two entrances!

There is a similar area where there is an intersecting highway splits to the right and after it changes I95 from 3 to 2 lanes. Some folks are in the right lane and realize at the last minute they must be in the center lane to stay on I95. They make a quick lane switch forcing 18 wheelers (and others) in the center lane to the left lane. That area changes from 70 to 60 mph limit because of the hazard and again fatalities. There are many folks who have been driving at 85+ mph who don't change to a 10 mph lower speed. I am always aware of that fast moving traffic that may be closing rapidly and if I am forced to change lanes understand if it will be clear. If heavy traffic I may drive in the left lane near that highway split, again an irritant to those travels much faster than the limit.

It takes a lot of attention to what others might do to keep an accident free driving record!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-27-2019 at 12:15 AM.
nmerhaut (02-03-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:46 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
great job OP. nice write up. Enjoy the experience. and you are correct - there's no comparison to the LT1 cars. only a manual LT1 car (for me) brings any type of satisfaction once you get a taste of the torque from the LT4.
Just be careful... the significant other slowly becomes a secondary thought when both are present (as you can see her tell me i'm #1 after a dinner and i pause to take a pic of the other Love of my life lol)
Can I get a side view of your car, specifically looking at the wheels? If the significant other is in it, that's fine too.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:54 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by chevyvette1
Nice write up. We had a few Gen 4 TAs as well. I am on my 10th Corvette, 3 C4's, 2 C5's, 3 C6's and 2 C7's. My first C7 was a 2016 3LT Z51 Convertible with 7-speed manual..... IMHO, there isn't a huge difference between my Z51 and a GS and "I" couldn't justify the added expense to move to a wide body and still have the same engine package. I drove a Z06 at a dealership and I was hooked...... 3 weeks later I picked up my 2018 2LZ. To ME.....there is NO comparison to the Z51 or the GS..... that LT4 puts a smile on my face like no other Vette I've owned, and there is no way I would want to go back to an LT1. I will be adding the Vararam CAI and a few other bolt on for a little more HP and torque.... The torque it has makes it fun to drive.... again, I stress that these are MY opinions..... I know many GS people think that's the perfect "package" for a Vette...... me?.. .... I'm taking a Z06 alllll day long!!!!

OP, we live in Tucson and if ya ever get down here give me a shout..... we can take a ride up Mt Lemmon.... 30 miles of curves and unbelievable views!!

The Yellow Bee is my wife's 2009 3LT 6 Speed....

We we need pics of your new ride!!
I get down to Tucson a few times a year to play golf. Was just down there a few weeks ago, albeit sans Vette. I think we're going to be down there in a couple of weeks, but the sister in law and her husband are coming too. They refuse to ride in the hatch.

I don't have many good pics yet. Too busy driving it, haven't kept it clean long enough to snap any. This week looks to be awesome top out weather! Here's one I snapped after a quick bath.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:11 AM
chevyvette1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

Nice pic ��

We will be in Phoenix for softball tournaments Feb 9th/10th and Feb 16th....
Old 05-11-2019, 12:57 AM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Six month update -
Something happened tonight that reminded one of the reasons I bought this car. I had valet parked at a hotel downtown, and I was waiting for my car. Since I'm the one driving it, I don't get to see it rolling down the road. When it came around the corner, looking all mean and sleek, I thought, "damn, that's a good looking car. Can't believe that's mine." As soon as the thought popped into my head, the woman standing a few feet away from me says to her husband almost in awe, "honey, look at that car....." and points. That's awesome.

It's been almost six months and I've put 3,000 miles on the car. And I work from home. I usually don't drive 3,000 miles in a year. I've bought a lot of individual stamps this year. Seems like we always need one.....

The back tires on this car sure don't last very long. The devil is tapping on your right foot constantly Acceleration at 130 feels the same as it does at 80. That's what a friend told me, and it's mind-blowing. The drive on 87 from Phoenix to Payson is a blast.

I have no regrets on buying the automatic. When the drive home today took an hour and 15 minutes to go 16 miles, I was sure glad I didn't have a stick. Every once in a while I pine for a manual, but then I think of the sound of the shift between 2nd and 3rd at WOT and that feeling goes away.

The car has developed a slightly annoying squeak that I have to go over, but aside from that and a dead FOB, I have had zero issues with the car. I hope it stays that way!

Still enjoying the hell out of this car. Already debating with myself what my next Corvette will be.
Pribilof (05-11-2019)

Quick Reply: From a Corvette rookie - my 2016 Z06 impressions/review