C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

On the verge of buying a new Z06

Old 12-30-2018, 03:04 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cstraley
I have a 2017 Z06 and a GS both 8 speed automatics. The Z06 is a hoot but it definitely has too much power for the tire period. The GS is PERFECT power wise. The GS is hooking up more consistently than the Z06 when giving a good jab at the throttle the Z06 will spin and the Grand Sport will take off. If I am careful and slowly apply the throttle I can hammer the Z06 once it's rolling but many times I am giving it more than it's tires can handle. Where you do see a big difference is between 60mph and 130mph where the Z06 feels like a damn monster eating the road. The Grand Sport never feels underpowered but doesn't really have that supercar acceleration feel which I think is that powerful feeling from 60-130mph. The Grand Sport allows you to be more playful with the throttle because there isn't too much and in addition to that the naturally aspirated engine has no latency in your right foot. I have felt after a year of driving them both that the Grand Sport needs another 50hp to be great and the Z06 needs 125 hp and 125 lb ft torque deprived (like they did with the Mazdaspeed 3) until 60-70mph and then delved out in a linear wave. At least then the Z06 would be more tractable.
Your comments are what I was trying to elicit. Your feelings of adding hp to the GS and subtracting hp from the Z are insightful. I'm wondering how many GS/Zo6 owners feel the same way. There's a poll for us. How many members have both a GS and a Zo6? Thanks for responding.
The following users liked this post:
cstraley (12-30-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: On the verge of buying a new Z06