C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Storing with a full tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Gee Venom
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Storing with a full tank

So I just saw something onine that it’s not good to store our C7 Z06’s with a full tank over the winter?? I stored mines in a warehouse on a second floor where it doesn’t get below 40 degrees with a full tank basically. Also added dry gas ( Stihl Built ) or w e it’s called. Anyone has info on this? Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2018, 02:08 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

There is a lot of recent posts/threads regarding this topic. Had you searched the forum! Lots of info to be found.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:41 PM
killerv6
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Winter and long-term storage

The video I seen tells you to store your vehicle with a quarter tank of gas or less apparently when full the fuel starts to corrode sending unit which is towards the top of the fuel pump
Old 12-15-2018, 04:11 PM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Some store full and some store at a quarter. While I understand the quarter tank argument I've been storing full for 15 years of Corvettes and never had any problems. YMMV of course....
Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I store full but put a bottle of Techron in to avoid the sulphation issue. Lots of discussion and opinions on this subject lately.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

How about getting the car out and driving in on nice days? Our weather has been in the 40's the last week and for the next week at least. Been driving it every day because that's why we bought it. I don't understand not driving a car in the winter months on nice days.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mcrider:
AZGASSER (12-15-2018), iw172 (12-17-2018), Toddiesel (12-18-2018), Z0HS1CK (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:26 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

Got the AS 3+ tires and it was in the teens when I took it out. As long as the roads are relatively dry and no forecast of snow, I get it out and drive it a few times a week.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
How about getting the car out and driving in on nice days? Our weather has been in the 40's the last week and for the next week at least. Been driving it every day because that's why we bought it. I don't understand not driving a car in the winter months on nice days.
I don't understand either.

I mean obviously don't drive when there's a blizzard or when it's snowing out. But i think after a snow storm, and all the roads are plowed, wait a couple of dry days so whatever moisture is on the roads has dried off, then it's ok to take the car out. You're just taking it out to get things moving. Not like you're taking it out to do a top speed run or going to the track or anything. Take it out for like 30 minutes and back in the garage it goes.

A lot of you are fortunate to have a garage so you guys can do some sort of washing to your cars after you drive it in winter. I don't own a garage so i keep my car under a cover in the back of my house.

I take it out whenever it's dry out. So i don't care if last week we got 20 inches of snow. If the roads are dry, it's coming out.

And if i get salt on the car, that's ok because that gives me a reason to wash it really quick before throwing the cover back on ready for it's next drive whenever.

It's just a car and these days they do undercarriage coatings to prevent rust. It's not like back in the day where you car literally falls apart after one winter.

Drive your car, so you have an excuse to wash it after. Then rinse and repeat.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
I don't understand either.

I mean obviously don't drive when there's a blizzard or when it's snowing out. But i think after a snow storm, and all the roads are plowed, wait a couple of dry days so whatever moisture is on the roads has dried off, then it's ok to take the car out. You're just taking it out to get things moving. Not like you're taking it out to do a top speed run or going to the track or anything. Take it out for like 30 minutes and back in the garage it goes.

A lot of you are fortunate to have a garage so you guys can do some sort of washing to your cars after you drive it in winter. I don't own a garage so i keep my car under a cover in the back of my house.

I take it out whenever it's dry out. So i don't care if last week we got 20 inches of snow. If the roads are dry, it's coming out.

And if i get salt on the car, that's ok because that gives me a reason to wash it really quick before throwing the cover back on ready for it's next drive whenever.

It's just a car and these days they do undercarriage coatings to prevent rust. It's not like back in the day where you car literally falls apart after one winter.

There still is a lot of residual road salt and brine. What a mess brine makes. It gets in every crack and crevice.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Yes, charger off and car out in Chicago area this weekend. Within a mile of driving I saw a C6 and vintage Camaro doing the same.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMD

There still is a lot of residual road salt and brine. What a mess brine makes. It gets in every crack and crevice.
If lambos and porsche guys can drive in snow, so can our cars.

And you don't even have to drive in snow, drive it a couple of days after a snow storm. I never understood storing a car the entire winter. It doesn't snow for 4 months straight.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

And you don't even have to drive in snow, drive it a couple of days after a snow storm. I never understood storing a car the entire winter. It doesn't snow for 4 months straight.
I agree. I have always driven in the winter if the roads are clear and dry. If you have a really bad winter with lots of snow, the cars can sit for a while. We go to Florida for a couple of months these days, so the cars do sit more. I never let the calendar dictate whether I drive or not, just the road conditions.

This 65 was my daily driver in the early 70's when I was a teenager. Still have the car and it's fine even though it has a metal frame. These new Vettes with aluminum frames won't rust like the old ones. Hard to get the Z to hook up on cold days though.

Last edited by capevettes; 12-16-2018 at 06:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
LimeyC5 (12-16-2018), Z0HS1CK (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 08:31 AM
Dr Bob
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I agree. I have always driven in the winter if the roads are clear and dry. If you have a really bad winter with lots of snow, the cars can sit for a while. We go to Florida for a couple of months these days, so the cars do sit more. I never let the calendar dictate whether I drive or not, just the road conditions.

This 65 was my daily driver in the early 70's when I was a teenager. Still have the car and it's fine even though it has a metal frame. These new Vettes with aluminum frames won't rust like the old ones. Hard to get the Z to hook up on cold days though.

Excellent You Tube video by “Horse Power Obsessed” explaining in GREAT detail the rationale for storing with a quarter of a tank. Has anyone out there actually experienced a gas sensor problem with a full tank storage??
Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I’m going to make a great YouTube video explaining why it’s a great idea to store you car with 1/4 a sump of oil.

I’ll explain it in a compelling way. Cite GM recommendations that only I know about and nobody else can find or cite and refer to anecdotal evidence with no hard or reviewable data.

so when everyone is out there draining their fuel tanks... get under the car too and get 3/4 of that oil out of your dry sumps... that stuff can cause all sorts issues...

and please - don’t get me going about storing cars with windshield washer fluid OR brake fluid... it’s just all corrosion nightmares.
The following 3 users liked this post by fishpick:
iw172 (12-17-2018), trooper (12-16-2018), vettetwo (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:32 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fishpick
I’m going to make a great YouTube video explaining why it’s a great idea to store you car with 1/4 a sump of oil.

I’ll explain it in a compelling way. Cite GM recommendations that only I know about and nobody else can find or cite and refer to anecdotal evidence with no hard or reviewable data.

so when everyone is out there draining their fuel tanks... get under the car too and get 3/4 of that oil out of your dry sumps... that stuff can cause all sorts issues...

and please - don’t get me going about storing cars with windshield washer fluid OR brake fluid... it’s just all corrosion nightmares.
1/4 of tank of oil in a dry sump? You can't be serious.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by capevettes

Exactly.

With how advanced the automotive industry is going, you don't really have to worry about minor things like that. Every time i leased a new car (i'm on my 3rd lease car), within a week i look underneath and misc bolts and screws are already rusted.

The undercarriage looks fine, but the hardware is rusted. And that's on a brand new car, literally brand new. So you can NOT stop the elements from doing it's thing, regardless if you take your car out on the most perfect days when god is watching and there's a rainbow over your house.

So for those who don't drive your cars in winter, might as well not drive when it rains because the same thing can happen to your cars. Moisture = rust

Last edited by Z0HS1CK; 12-16-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I'm too lazy to wash my car that often. It's easier to keep it clean. To me, an hour of driving followed by an hour of cleaning just isn't worth it.

Mid/rear engine cars do a lot better in snow than our Corvettes do.

Get notified of new replies

To Storing with a full tank

Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bob
Excellent You Tube video by “Horse Power Obsessed” explaining in GREAT detail the rationale for storing with a quarter of a tank. Has anyone out there actually experienced a gas sensor problem with a full tank storage??
Video, has too much music and gabbing and not enough getting to the point.

Bill
Old 12-16-2018, 05:27 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Just store it with a full tank as you have in the past, every year/month/minute there is a recommended change to how to store your Vette.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by MMD

1/4 of tank of oil in a dry sump? You can't be serious.
No he is not

Quick Reply: Storing with a full tank