C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Trade up to GS or Z06?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by Proudpatriot
I probably will buy something. I'm not sure what yet. I will look at the AMG and RS5 and THEN look at the Z06. I am leaning towards keeping a Corvette of some type but I can't be sure until I drive the other cars. I think that if I get another Corvette it will be a Z06.

The CTS-V discussion is moot because around here there aren't a lot of them (new or used) in the sub $90K range. Most of the new ones are over $100K and there is only one on the used market within 50 miles of my house. It is being offered by a less reputable dealer and I just can't spend that much money on a used car from a dealership with a bad reputation. I could do it for a beater but not for a pretty expensive car. If I run into one on the used car lot of a reputable dealer I probably would consider it but there just aren't many out there around here. The dealers load them up so that the sticker prices are astronomical. This is typical: Sheehan Cadillac

I appreciate ALL the input I have gotten here. This is a great forum full of helpful people and I appreciate the input. It helps.
My first car was a new Cadillac, at the age of 23. I needed it for work. My 2nd car was a new Corvette at 25. Had tons of luxury cars; Cadillacs, Mercedes' and even a Lincoln. Most bought new. My C7 Corvette is a 2017 vert bought new. I LOVE IT! I didn't want one (Corvette) in all the intervening years. Most of em were cr@p IMO. Now up in my 60s, I decided to take some advice about not trying to be the richest person in the cemetery. Now, I buy what I want to. I have no car budget, thank God. The hard work is behind me, and I'm enjoying all it's Blessings! The thrill of driving IS back! I took care of a friend for 5 months last year that had cancer. Life can be shorter than we want it to be. Take care!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-26-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-27-2018, 08:10 AM
hebegb
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

If you like the Stingray and just want to have an upgraded interior with memory seats, why don't you just trade in on a new 3LT Stingray? Problem solved.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:41 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

All your questions on what to get will be over once you take a Z06 for a good test ride. The Z06 is both a beauty and a beast.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I drove both the Mercedes and the Z06 yesterday. Both are really nice cars and I could see myself driving either one. I am ultimately going to buy a Z06. I love the car. I love the look, the feel of the car. Although the Merc has a beautiful interior it is very busy. I like the clean look of the Z06 interior. I am off to find my car. The first dealer I went to did not give me a good price so I will have to head down to Miami to the high volume Corvette dealer there. I bought my Stingray there and I got a good price.

Thank you to all of you for your input.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:38 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I drove both the Mercedes and the Z06 yesterday. Both are really nice cars and I could see myself driving either one. I am ultimately going to buy a Z06. I love the car. I love the look, the feel of the car. Although the Merc has a beautiful interior it is very busy. I like the clean look of the Z06 interior. I am off to find my car. The first dealer I went to did not give me a good price so I will have to head down to Miami to the high volume Corvette dealer there. I bought my Stingray there and I got a good price.

Thank you to all of you for your input.
2 completely different cars. Love my Z06 but it’s just a toy. The Mercedes AMG would make the better and more comfortable daily driver. I had a 16 M3 and it was the better daily driver as well. No comparison in my book. Much more practical.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Why do you think a Z06 is an impractical daily driver? I live in a warm climate so winter is not an issue. Temps NEVER go below 40 degrees here and the last snow in Fort Lauderdale was over 40 years ago. I have been driving my Stingray for 3 years and it is fine on an everyday basis. We have an SUV for carrying passengers and Costco runs (just got back). Other than the cancer diagnosis, which has been a bummer, I am pretty fit so getting in an out is not an issue for me. I am also short which I think makes a difference.

I wouldn't be trading my Stingray in if I had been smart in the first place and bought an LT2 package. The only thing I really wanted in the LT2 package was the memory seats and I didn't want to pay more just for that one feature. After almost 3 years I am tired of moving the seat myself every time I get in and out of the car. Luckily the last year has been a really good one financially so we can upgrade the car if we want to. This time I am getting the 2LZ package. I learned my lesson.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I got my '16 Stingray in April 2017. It is Torch Red M7 with a red interior. At the time I had to keep it as inexpensive as possible. There were three things about the car I didn't like. Firstly the 1-4 shift skip made me crazy. Secondly, the shifter was sloppy. Thirdly, I regretted not getting the package with the memory seat. My husband loves me and fixed the shifting issues by installing a workaround for the skip shift and an MGW shifter for me. But the memory seat issue is not something he can fix. I don't mind getting in and out of the car but it is a chore to have to move the seat every time. Although we do have a Buick Enclave that we take to Costco and when we have passengers I drive my Corvette to work most days. We are in Fort Lauderdale so we don't have to put our fun cars away for the winter.

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It was early stage and I will survive it but the cancer diagnosis has me thinking that life is short. I am considering an upgrade to a GS or a Z06. I am familiar with the LT4 engine as my husband's Camaro ZL1 has that engine in it. We can afford the upgrade to the Z06 but I am wondering if it is worth it. I don't intend to track the car. I would be taking delivery of cars from dealer stock and there seem to be plenty of C7s around.

My question is "Is the upgrade from the GS to the Z06 worth the money?" As I said before we can afford the upgrade but I am wondering if it is worth it. I am also going to take a look at the Audi RS5 and Mercedes AMG C63S. One of my favorite cars of all time was a VW R32 and it had AWD. The Audi RS5 has AWD. I think the Mercedes is beautiful but I have to drive it.
I have an M7 Z06 that I track. I have been running it on track for 3 seasons and after 27 years I have sufficient experience to run in the fastest run groups and not hold anybody up. It is an absolute track beast. It will pass anything but a ZR1 or the gas pump. No over heating issues at all. Doesn't even come close to over heating. From how you describe your car usage I would say it isn't worth it to pay the extra money for the Z06 if you aren't going to the track. It is even hard to justify the power of the LT1 since in a matter of a couple of seconds you can get into just as much trouble as you can in an LT4 powered Z06. The big difference is the LT4 has 100 more pound feet of torque at 1000 rpm which makes throttle response a lot quicker than the LT1. You can get used to not moving the go pedal as much but you really can't make use of the power on the street or highway. Using the car as a daily driver you will continue to be happy with the LT1 powered GS. Even just upgrading to a newer Stingray with the options you want may be your best bet. Spend the extra money on creature comforts inside the car which can help make the daily drive to work and back more enjoyable.

As for skip shift that is a matter of learning how to drive around it Vs installing something to avoid it. Skip shift really only affects driving when you are in heavy traffic that is moving slowly. The shifter will be forced from one to four whenever light throttle is being used and the car speed is between 15 and 19 mph. That means you can avoid it by shifting to 2nd before you hit 15 or after you hit 19 mph. Another way to avoid it is to be just a shade aggressive on the throttle but if you have a car directly in front of you that is hard to do if they are only poking along. It is very easy to avoid hitting the 1 to 4 shift.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-30-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:17 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,177 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Today i literally put bus lengths on a car at 55mph @ 5th gear. I think the rpm was 1800 or 1900rpm. All i had to do was step on it, pass the person who was going slow, look down and in a couple of seconds already at 105mph. Starting from 1900rpm.

That's the beauty of torque. Gotta love the LT4.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:58 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Why do you think a Z06 is an impractical daily driver? I live in a warm climate so winter is not an issue. Temps NEVER go below 40 degrees here and the last snow in Fort Lauderdale was over 40 years ago. I have been driving my Stingray for 3 years and it is fine on an everyday basis. We have an SUV for carrying passengers and Costco runs (just got back). Other than the cancer diagnosis, which has been a bummer, I am pretty fit so getting in an out is not an issue for me. I am also short which I think makes a difference.

I wouldn't be trading my Stingray in if I had been smart in the first place and bought an LT2 package. The only thing I really wanted in the LT2 package was the memory seats and I didn't want to pay more just for that one feature. After almost 3 years I am tired of moving the seat myself every time I get in and out of the car. Luckily the last year has been a really good one financially so we can upgrade the car if we want to. This time I am getting the 2LZ package. I learned my lesson.
I can understand for a couple with no kids or they are all grown up. For me I have to plan when I drive it for the most part. Many times just driving it to work I need to run kids places before getting home. So just not practical in my case. I daily a truck and the wife has an SUV. So the car is pretty much an impractical toy. I have managed to get almost 10k miles in 16 months though 👍🏻
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Originally Posted by saleen556

I can understand for a couple with no kids or they are all grown up. For me I have to plan when I drive it for the most part. Many times just driving it to work I need to run kids places before getting home. So just not practical in my case. I daily a truck and the wife has an SUV. So the car is pretty much an impractical toy. I have managed to get almost 10k miles in 16 months though 👍🏻
I would agree that for a family with children at home it would be an impractical daily driver. When my kids were young I always drove a large SUV. My husband had some more fun cars but they still had to have at least 4 seats (3 kids) in case he had to pick the kids up or drop them off somewhere. I had a Navigator, Yukon XL, Suburban, Lexus RX300 and I ran the kids where they needed to go and we used my vehicle for family trips.

Our older kids are out of college and living on their own. Our youngest is still in college but he doesn't live here most of the year. When he is home we have Buick Enclave that holds all of us so the Corvette works fine as a daily driver for me. If we still had kids at home I would be driving some giant SUV.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Good call. Buy the 2LZ Z06. Life is short.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 12-30-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

If I hear correctly that you’re on a budget, I would go for a highly depreciated Z06 in whatever color and trim you want, say with 20-25k miles on a ‘16, assuming you get an A8 auto. Should be some under $60k- Less if you get a ‘15. I’m presuming you’re not going to track it.

Last edited by Parcival; 12-30-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by saleen556

It's not impractical and toy doesn't make sense in the same sentence lol. Usually toys are for the weekend. And most people with toys have other cars, like yourself.

Don't feel bad though. I had my car for like 32 months and i have 13,1xx miles.

I don't think i'll hit 30k before i trade it.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Parcival
If I hear correctly that you’re on a budget, I would go for a highly depreciated Z06 in whatever color and trim you want, say with 20-25k miles on a ‘16, assuming you get an A8 auto. Should be some under $60k- Less if you get a ‘15. I’m presuming you’re not going to track it.
I can get a new Z06 within my budget. I am not going to track it. I am going to drive it as my regular daily transportation.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:57 PM
Proudpatriot
Advanced

Thank you all for your input. I picked up my Orange Z06 today. It was an easy transaction but we wound up there all day due to my credit union's incompetence. Sigh. I really wanted to get the car today because tomorrow the sales tax in my county goes up 1%.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thank you all for your input. I picked up my Orange Z06 today. It was an easy transaction but we wound up there all day due to my credit union's incompetence. Sigh. I really wanted to get the car today because tomorrow the sales tax in my county goes up 1%.

Happy New Year!
I think the orange is a beautiful color for Z06, especially with the full black aero bits on, contrasting it; congrats! Please feel free to share pics : P
The following users liked this post:
Proudpatriot (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 08:03 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Happy New Year!
Congrats on your new Z! That's a great way to start off 2019.
Proudpatriot (01-01-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Trade up to GS or Z06?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:15 PM
mb1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Happy New Year!
Wow you move fast. I’m still considering what I’m doing, Z06 or GS. Congrats on the new car!!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:22 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Happy New Year!
Congrats! You proved me wrong and actually got something lol. But i'm glad you picked the Z over every other car mentioned. Although it wouldn't be too shabby if you picked the CTS-V but i know you said there were no good deals in your area.

Have fun with the car. It is definitely an amazing experience. Post pics when you get a chance!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

nice! congrats! well now you have a car for halloween / fall pictures haha
Z0HS1CK (12-31-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade up to GS or Z06?