C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tuning the Z06, LONG, sorry about that

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:11 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Higgs has a veritable doctorate in C7 ZO6 tuning and certainly the best source of advice you will get for free.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:28 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

From what I've seen Higgs is probably as good as you get free or not.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
what is your IPW?

also, there is an acceleration based rpm limiter that needs to be zero'd out.....is it?
HB, where is that under??
Old 01-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by HNK

HB, where is that under??
Fueling -- Cutoff/DFCO -- bottom left area
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

in short, the torque model needs to be adjusted properly.

second, if all your mods are listed, you don't have enough fuel capacity to run E85 and your injector pulse width is probably way too high, the ECM is backing up spark lead to allow a longer injection window without spraying through spark. ask your tuner what your IPW is on the pull(s).

get port injection (or god forbid meth injection as a band aid) and find the real potential for your combo.
Higgs in your opinion is there any safe install of meth? I have a dedicated rear mounted meth tank (1.5 gallon) and am using a Alky Control system (pump, controllers, braided lines). I used the meth and a aux low pressure pump to be able to run 50% E-85 for drag racing.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:25 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by jstewart
Higgs in your opinion is there any safe install of meth? I have a dedicated rear mounted meth tank (1.5 gallon) and am using a Alky Control system (pump, controllers, braided lines). I used the meth and a aux low pressure pump to be able to run 50% E-85 for drag racing.
yes, you can do a safe install and it sounds like you have taken measures to ensure that. as long as leaks don't meet heat you should be fine.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:54 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm just asking a question that took a really long time to get answered, don't get your panties in a bunch. Now that you have answered it, 6.3 ms, we can proceed....not a big deal at all. (btw, did you measure it based on logging IDC or did you log the pid for IPW?)

Yes, you should be fine there, but you are on the cusp of being limited. Keep in mind also that direct injection isn't only about total injection time. Exhaust valve comes into play, not just intake valve. Where the mixture is in the cylinder in relation to spark and piston location also matters now. It's less time than you think.

However. being only 20 hp up on a sea level car and at 6.3ms instead of 5 or less does raise other questions about the tune that I guess I won't ask since youre a little hard to talk to.....I mean, you asked the question....presumably asking in need of help? The ECM will retard spark and advance injection timing to keep you from spraying through it and start of injection timing and pulse width can tell us a lot about what is happening.
I asked a question about timing being pulled. You come on and in an insulting manner tell me that my setup and mods can't possibly handle E-85 and am out of gas. Now that's without my data and YOU. WERE. WRONG. Gee, that sure makes me want to march out as quickly as I can to provide you with more data to answer a question I never asked. Now you're slamming my tune without ever seeing it. Now that REALLY makes me want to take your advice. NOT!

BTW: I got some advice to fix the timing pull, no thanks to you and it has nothing to do with what you say the problem is. Have a nice day.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I asked a question about timing being pulled. You come on and in an insulting manner tell me that my setup and mods can't possibly handle E-85 and am out of gas. Now that's without my data and YOU. WERE. WRONG. Gee, that sure makes me want to march out as quickly as I can to provide you with more data to answer a question I never asked. Now you're slamming my tune without ever seeing it. Now that REALLY makes me want to take your advice. NOT!

BTW: I got some advice to fix the timing pull, no thanks to you and it has nothing to do with what you say the problem is. Have a nice day.
Glad you got it sorted out, sorry we weren't able to engage in a functional progressive conversation. Not quite sure what was "insulting" about my post. Also not sure how I was wrong as I never offered an actual solution, only some questions about your setup, we didn't really get anywhere, I could only go on what you offered in the first post and if it was down the wrong path then that's the caveat of trying to help on the internet. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

What was the fix for the timing being pulled? Got this solution from a different tuner?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim2092
What was the fix for the timing being pulled? Got this solution from a different tuner?
I'm sorry, he asked me to not repeat it and I will honor his request.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

From what I've read, if you use the accepted norm of 310 degrees of fuel input, that's over 40% of time for pulse width, not one third, compared to port injection. At 6,500 that gives right at 8 milliseconds of acceptable IPW, and 6.3 is what I measured. I don't see the problem.
Higgs is right, you are out of fuel at near full E85. At 6.3 ms you are out of fuel and pushing the SOI more than a little a bit and this is where your timing retard is coming from, not sure where you read that 8 ms / 40% is acceptable on the LT4 but it's not.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:23 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Finally got her on a good dyno, she made 730 SAE RWHP/756 SAE RWTQ. Not bad.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you post your log?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

I don't have it. It's on the tuners laptop.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:24 AM
2FAST4U
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

We tuned my 2015 Z06 and ran into a problem. Previously with a Halltech CAI, Mamo TB, Innovators West 9% lower pulley, and Norcal cat delete pipes on factory tune it ran well, but way rich it made 673 SAE RWHP and 720 SAE RWTQ. That's on a dynojet dyno. I then added a fuel sensor for flex fuel.
Before someone else says it. I know, I know, I broke all my own rules on this one.
1. I used a different dyno. (no choice here, it's the tuner's dyno). It's not even the same TYPE dyno, it's a dynocom dyno, and extremely "frugal" on it's HP values. It reads AT LEAST 3% lower than a dyno jet.
2. On ALL the runs (musta' been 20+ runs) I was spinning the tires on the dyno.
3. I didn't get a "before" run to compare to.
4. The conditions aren't the same as my other dyno runs so I really can't compare. It was 26 freeking degrees!!!

However, I believe the dyno results were acceptable for tuning, not comparison to earlier runs. 91 octane is the best E10 available here, tuned it, got some gains. How much? Don't know, we tuned, checked results, tuned some more, were satisfied that there were on more gains to be had. We then added 15 gallons of winter E 85 (really E 72 on my gauge) and tuned for it. Got more gains, BUT got a problem. At 6600 RPM it pulled 6 degrees of timing, causing a drop in power. Yes, we reset the redline to 6,800 RPM. We went through all the tables in HPtuners and can't see why. There is no KR there, it appears to be torque management, but why, and what do we do about it?

My final numbers were 684 SAE RWHP and 736 SAE RWTQ. I believe, on the dyno I always use, it'll be AT LEAST 705 SAE RWHP and 758 SAE RWTQ on a proven Dynojet. The issue that we need help with is the timing being pulled at 6,600 RPM.
Any ideas?

Hopefully, this problem has been solved by now, but if it were me I'd make my shifts before 6500 RPMs where the power loss issue is not occuring. Sounds like below that RPM the tune is stable.

The problem seemed to start with "...and then I added a fuel sensor for flex fuel...."

I see experienced folks recomending flex as the "First" mod one makes to their LT4. THEN add other things.

For a safe street tune I plan to go E85 + Tune first, then add headers (with stock exhaust), BMS filter, and HP tune for ~720bph. Thats about as good as gets if you want first gear to still be fun...and I do. Also, about as far as you can go before fuel delivery becomes an issue on full E85. Even here we need Nitto 555R or Toyo R888Rs to use 1st gear.

However, E85 is problematic for adequate fuel pressures, so generally can’t use above E40 without problems.

Cheers.

Last edited by 2FAST4U; 08-20-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuning the Z06, LONG, sorry about that