C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Wheel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
CAN manufacture to withstand track use? So normally they don't? If the factory "cheap chinese" cast wheels can take track use, pretty much any wheel can. It's not like if a wheel isn't forged, it's going to fold like origami when you take a sharp corner.
I've done numerous replica wheels and cast wheels to date not one has had any issues with track use.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
I've done numerous replica wheels and cast wheels to date not one has had any issues with track use.
Zackly. It grinds my gears when people imply (or right out say) that cast wheels are basically garbage and won't hold up to "serious use". Sure, forged wheels are arguably better (read: slightly lighter), but unless you have a very specific look you're going for, there's no reason to spend THOUSANDS of extra dollars on forged wheels over cast or flow formed. Appearance is the only reason to go forged, as you can get far more customized with forged than cast or flow formed.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 375 Posts

Zackly. It grinds my gears when people imply (or right out say) that cast wheels are basically garbage and won't hold up to "serious use". Sure, forged wheels are arguably better (read: slightly lighter), but unless you have a very specific look you're going for, there's no reason to spend THOUSANDS of extra dollars on forged wheels over cast or flow formed. Appearance is the only reason to go forged, as you can get far more customized with forged than cast or flow formed.
The OEM cast wheels on the ZO6 are the subject of widespread criticism for easily cracking and bending. The evidence is quite clear. A lot of owners who think they don't have a problem are surprised to find out of round wheels with micro cracks on the inside edge of the barrel. A forged wheel is indisputably stronger and for those of us who are tired of dealing with the OEM cast wheels they are the only option; it's not a matter of customization but more of eliminating the aggravation.
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
CW4L (01-03-2019), thewb (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by tertiumquid
The OEM cast wheels on the ZO6 are the subject of widespread criticism for easily cracking and bending. The evidence is quite clear. A lot of owners who think they don't have a problem are surprised to find out of round wheels with micro cracks on the inside edge of the barrel. A forged wheel is indisputably stronger and for those of us who are tired of dealing with the OEM cast wheels they are the only option; it's not a matter of customization but more of eliminating the aggravation.
That may be (though I've yet to see that as I've curbed my wheels and never had them crack or bend), but that sounds like an issue with this specific wheel. i've never heard of anyone having issues with cast wheels on any other stock car or with cast aftermarket wheels. Not without serious trauma anyway. And while I don't know for sure, I imagine people that are getting bent or cracked OEM wheels are experiencing some kind of trauma. The stock tires are low profile and have VERY stiff side walls so don't absorb impact as well as other OEM tires. I imagine that has something to do with it as well. Either way, ONE specific wheel having issues doesn't apply universally to all cast wheels.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:33 AM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

That may be (though I've yet to see that as I've curbed my wheels and never had them crack or bend), but that sounds like an issue with this specific wheel. i've never heard of anyone having issues with cast wheels on any other stock car or with cast aftermarket wheels. Not without serious trauma anyway. And while I don't know for sure, I imagine people that are getting bent or cracked OEM wheels are experiencing some kind of trauma. The stock tires are low profile and have VERY stiff side walls so don't absorb impact as well as other OEM tires. I imagine that has something to do with it as well. Either way, ONE specific wheel having issues doesn't apply universally to all cast wheels.
We're specifically talking about the cast wheels that are standard equipment with the ZO6. There are several threads on the forum on this topic with many people reporting they found cracks during a wheel balance or tire change. Few, if any, have any recollection of any trauma, as you define it. You're correct that the RF sidewalls are part of the problem. More likely, they are the major factor involved and when mated to these particular OEM cast wheels, breakage easily occurs. That's why many of us have gone to mono block forged.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

We're specifically talking about the cast wheels that are standard equipment with the ZO6. There are several threads on the forum on this topic with many people reporting they found cracks during a wheel balance or tire change. Few, if any, have any recollection of any trauma, as you define it. You're correct that the RF sidewalls are part of the problem. More likely, they are the major factor involved and when mated to these particular OEM cast wheels, breakage easily occurs. That's why many of us have gone to mono block forged.
YOU may be specifically talking about the OE wheels. I was not. I was speaking in general, if you read my post again.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Read post #35 to better appreciate the scope of the Corvette wheel bent/cracked wheel problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ety-adm-3.html
The following users liked this post:
CW4L (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MMD

Read post #35 to better appreciate the scope of the Corvette wheel bent/cracked wheel problem.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ety-adm-3.html

Again, you guys are focusing in on the stock wheel. I was talking about cast wheels in general, and more specifically AFTERMARKET wheels, not factory, though the C7 Z06 factory wheel is the only one i've ever heard of with issues.

EDIT: on a side note, I looked at that link out of curiosity and dude... hats off to you for putting all that together. Must have taken a while!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-03-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Again, you guys are focusing in on the stock wheel. I was talking about cast wheels in general, and more specifically AFTERMARKET wheels, not factory, though the C7 Z06 factory wheel is the only one i've ever heard of with issues.

EDIT: on a side note, I looked at that link out of curiosity and dude... hats off to you for putting all that together. Must have taken a while!
The Grand Sport and Z06 for the entire generation of C7 has this problem. It is fairly wide spread. Corvette has their wheels manufactured by Ronal with their Speedline division. BTW, all car wheels can crack or bend if the wheels are impacted/loaded beyond thier design limits. This problem can occur for any wheels - be it cast, monoblock, mulit-piece, or forged. The problem has been occuring on GS/Z06 for wheels that are even lightly loaded. Read some of the responses in the post I referenced by Corvette owners that have been effected.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 AM
MMD
Safety Car

What's sad is that list is just a small representative sample of what is going on.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

The other major issue is the TIRES.

cheap wheels plus ROCK HARD SIDEWALLS plus a good pothole and there goes your wheel, tire or both.

a set of forgestars is fine. I'm on my 3rd set. Couldn't be happier.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobGZ06
The other major issue is the TIRES.

cheap wheels plus ROCK HARD SIDEWALLS plus a good pothole and there goes your wheel, tire or both.

a set of forgestars is fine. I'm on my 3rd set. Couldn't be happier.
1) yes, I mentioned the tires
2) why are we harping on the factory wheels all of a sudden (and STILL after I've stated 3 times I wasn't talking about the factory wheels and this thread has NOTHING to do with factory wheels)?
3) If you like them so much, why are you on your 3rd set??

Can we please go back to the topic this thread is about? In case everyone has forgotten, the OP is looking for recommendations for AFTERMARKET wheels.

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

The answer for the OP is quite simple:

Mono block Forged wheels are best
Flow forged are second best
Cast is the bottom of the food chain
The following 2 users liked this post by tertiumquid:
CW4L (01-03-2019), thewb (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

The answer for the OP is quite simple:

Mono block Forged wheels are best
Flow forged are second best
Cast is the bottom of the food chain
I think that's a gross over simplification. I think he was looking for some along the lines of "I like X wheel by Y manufacturer in Z configuration. Here are some pics"
Old 01-03-2019, 08:27 PM
sautan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just ordered mine from CW4L. Gerry got me a great deal and also help me with track tires setup and etc.
The following users liked this post:
CW4L (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,137 Posts

1) yes, I mentioned the tires
2) why are we harping on the factory wheels all of a sudden (and STILL after I've stated 3 times I wasn't talking about the factory wheels and this thread has NOTHING to do with factory wheels)?
3) If you like them so much, why are you on your 3rd set??

Can we please go back to the topic this thread is about? In case everyone has forgotten, the OP is looking for recommendations for AFTERMARKET wheels.
1) Relax thundercat
2) I was merely replying to the original comment tertiumquid posted
3) That's exactly why i like them so much, i bought a set more than once. 2 sets for my old C6 (i get bored easily), 1 set on the C7Z now.

OP, if you're on a budget, go with forgestars.

Or you can get replica OEM wheels, but like cup wheels, idk about going with OEM Z wheels.

Opps, darn talked about OEM wheels again lol.

Quick Reply: Wheel recommendations