C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tony Mamo Throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 10:34 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Tony Mamo Throttle body

My first C7 was a 2016 M7 Z06. The low end throttle bog, in my opinion, was terrible and in some instances, it felt unsafe. I did wind up purchasing the ported throttle body from Tony and it did improve the throttle reaction time and minimize the low end bog....but I still could feel it. I wound up selling that car and buying a Challenger Hellcat with a 6 speed manual transmission. Zero bog on that car and it wasn't because of the engine horsepower...it was turned that way from the factory. Well, I missed my Corvette and just bought another left over 2018 Z06 with only 2 miles on it....and it's an A8. I had it delivered to my home in an enclosed trailer and my only driving was to pull it into my garage. The engine was cold, well below operating temperature, but when I shifted it into D, I could feel the same low end bog as the 2016 had, creeping into the garage.
Now, I bored every one with this story, but it sounds like I have another Mamo polished throttle body in the near future and I was looking for some more feedback with regard to it's effectiveness in an A8 car, although Rogergcam from the C7 Forum, seems to give it high praise. Any other comments?

Edit Quote Multi Quote Quick Reply
Reply SubscribedQuick Reply
Source

◢Auto-Saved
To view/manage your attachments, click "Go Advanced"Options
Quote message in reply?
Back to SubforumC7 General Discussion
View Next UnreadOEM tires

Quick Reply Reply Share

Forum Jump
(no links set)
Edit Links ...
Corvette StoreC7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires

Sponsored AdsVendor Directory

Contact Us About Us ArchiveAdvertising Cookie PolicyPrivacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated
Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 PM
dennismur
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2017 Z with the A8. Try putting a BMS airfilter along with the Mamo and you will be pleased with the difference.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 AM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 193 Posts

BMS + PTB worked great on my M7
Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 AM
tzoid9
Drifting

Thanks Dennismur & RegnaR, it sounds like you have the recipe. Where did you get your BMS filter?
Old 12-28-2018, 11:59 AM
dennismur
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BMS Filter

Look on E bay for BMS corvette Zo6 auir filter
Old 12-28-2018, 01:10 PM
DomLS3
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 116 Posts

The Tony Mamo PTB did not completely fix the throttle lag on my car. I didn't actually feel much of a difference. The lag didn't go away until I got my driver demand tables tuned.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

You should look at throttle controllers. Get more linear input through the pedal
Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Mamo ported TB worked well for me on my 2016 auto Z07. No more hesitation
Old 12-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

this is tuned into the ecm and can be fixed easily with a tune. the TB is not the problem although people do often report it helping mask the true issue. if you don't want to tune then obviously TB and filter, etc are the only way to help.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

I plan on a TB and filter for spring but I must be lucky because throttle hesitation/lag on the Z06 doesn’t seem possible...lol. 2017 A8 and runs and drive amazing.....
Old 12-28-2018, 09:35 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
this is tuned into the ecm and can be fixed easily with a tune. the TB is not the problem although people do often report it helping mask the true issue. if you don't want to tune then obviously TB and filter, etc are the only way to help.
Higgs...glad to see you're still around. I'd do the ECM reprogramming if there was a "mild" programming that wouldn't be likely to cause an engine problem. The thought of losing the engine warranty because of a mild twist during the New Car Warranty period, is frightening. That's probably an impossible question to answer but if there's a way, you probably know it.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Higgs...glad to see you're still around. I'd do the ECM reprogramming if there was a "mild" programming that wouldn't be likely to cause an engine problem. The thought of losing the engine warranty because of a mild twist during the New Car Warranty period, is frightening. That's probably an impossible question to answer but if there's a way, you probably know it.
you can do a tune any way you want, you don't have to push any limits.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:38 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default IMO helps stumble/stalling on M7, not needed on A8

Here's my take. I have tried ported & the larger stock ZR1 95mm TB on the C7/Z06 A8 and also some high flow air filters (Green & BMS) in the OEM air box. The ported or larger TB made no difference at the track compared to the stocker in the 60ft or 1/4 mile. On the street with an A8 if you want to accelerate faster just give it more throttle.

Where I did see improvement from stock at the track was with the high flow aftermarket OEM replacement air filters i.e. the Green and the BMS and also the AFE CAI with the low flow dry air filter.

Both the OEM ported & 95mm TB w/spacer are now sitting on the shelf.

This is the OEM ported with the machined down throttle shaft & added additional porting.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 12-29-2018 at 02:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jstewart (01-02-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Here's my take. I have tried ported & the larger stock ZR1 95mm TB on the C7/Z06 A8 and also some high flow air filters (Green & BMS) in the OEM air box. The ported or larger TB made no difference at the track compared to the stocker in the 60ft or 1/4 mile. On the street with an A8 if you want to accelerate faster just give it more throttle.

Where I did see improvement from stock at the track was with the high flow aftermarket OEM replacement air filters i.e. the Green and the BMS and also the AFE CAI with the low flow dry air filter.

Both the OEM ported & 95mm TB w/spacer are now sitting on the shelf.

This is the OEM ported with the machined down throttle shaft & added additional porting.

The Mamo ported TB I referred to was the 87mm without any tuning. Definitely helped the hesitation on transition (off-on & on-off throttle). My car is now getting more mods and tuning and I will be using a Mamo ported 95mm with a ported blower and snout. Snout & blower will be ported for 103mm with the adaptor opened up to 103mm on the snout side for smooth transition. My opinion this is a must for using the 95mm TB.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:24 PM
ACS55
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 147 Posts

The Mamo PTB fixed my throttle lag by at least 75% on the stock tune. Huge improvement.
I am now modding and tuning, and will be selling my Mamo PTB soon... should be ready within 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,143 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
This. A PTB is the ultimate go to if you want to keep your factory warranty and get rid of that annoyance you most notice, if you have a manual.

The xpipe and PTB, best 2 mods you can do to your manual z06, IMHO.

I would do a tune on my car, but if i did that, might as well throw more mods on it like a pulley, long tubes etc. But it's already too late in my ownership as i wanna move on to the next beast. So gonna keep it the way it is.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:04 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

FYI: from what I have seen on the net you can save the $50 for the ZR1 TB adapter/spacer. You only need to drill out the holes in the ZR1 95mm TB larger until it mounts to the supercharger snout bolt pattern. I would drill the 4 mounting holes in the ZR1 TB out going a little larger on the drill bit until the TB mounts up. After porting out the snout of the supercharger for the larger TB there won't be much sealing surface left so 'I' would smear a very thin layer of the "Right Stuff" on one of the mounting surfaces just before bolting the throttle body on. Being its only vacuum at that connection a thin smear of the rtv sealant should do just fine.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-11-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tony Mamo Throttle body

Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Final work is done with the ported Mamo 95mm TB installed. Stock blower and snout ported by Weapon X. My opinion if you are going to use a 95mm TB you must at a minimum match the TB to the SC snout (smooth transition) either by port matching the adaptor & snout, or as C7/Z06 man suggested mounting directly to the snout. I had my snout ported for a 103 mm TB if I want to go there later & had the adaptor ported for a 95 mm X 103 mm transition.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

FYI: from what I have seen on the net you can save the $50 for the ZR1 TB adapter/spacer. You only need to drill out the holes in the ZR1 95mm TB larger until in mounts to the supercharger snout bolt pattern. I would drill the 4 mounting holes in the ZR1 TB out going a little larger on the drill bit until the TB mounts up. After porting out the snout of the supercharger for the larger TB there won't be much sealing surface left so 'I' would smear a very thin layer of the "Right Stuff" on one of the mounting surfaces just before bolting the throttle body on. Being its only vacuum at that connection a thin smear of the rtv sealant should do just fine.
PS: The 'CAI' did not match up (angle wise) to the 95mm throttle body/spacer as well as it would of IMO if just using the TB (now making it's overall length shorter, closer to stock).

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-11-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:28 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

PS: The 'CAI' did not match up (angle wise) to the 95mm throttle body/spacer as well as it would of IMO if just using the TB (now making it's overall length shorter, closer to stock).
Agreed, but my main reason for using the adapter was to match the 95mm TB to the SC snout which I had ported out to 103mm. I was thinking that would match up to a larger TB if I wanted to go that way later without having to remove the SC later. Right now I don't think I will go any larger because the car is already making more power than I anticipated.

Last edited by jstewart; 01-14-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Tony Mamo Throttle body